Motorstorm Slow-down? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally unlocked the Level 4 races tonight on Motorstorm. Man, those races get hard fast! One thing that I thought was a tad distressing though is that as soon as I got to the second race on Level 4 I started noticing slow-down with the framerate. Has anyone else experienced this while playing the higher level races? I thought maybe it was just that one particular race but I've noticed it on several of the Level 4 ticket events. Just curious as to see if my experience with it is unique or not.

When I saw it happen (on several occassions) it didn't seem like there was necessarily more going on than there had been before.

Other than these few framerate instances and the horribly repetitive soundtrack (good grief do we need the custom soundtrack option!) I am loving this game. It's been a long time since I've been this addicted to a racing game. Offers nice breaks from God Of War II, which I think I intentionally walk away from just because I don't want it to be over! LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 01:43 AM

I haven't got as far as level 4, but I have certainly noticed some minor slowdown on races. Nothing to detract from gameplay, and perhaps indicative of the way they had to rush this title out. Still a great game, as you say.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 AM

It usally happens on crashes with me maybe it has something to do with all of the debris flying around on the screen.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 AM

I noticed it alot during the demo but not nearly as much in the final version.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

There is definite slowdown now and then. Nothing that detracts from this being my favorite game, but still something they could fix for Motorstorm 2.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:

Originally posted by instantpop
Finally unlocked the Level 4 races tonight on Motorstorm. Man, those races get hard fast! One thing that I thought was a tad distressing though is that as soon as I got to the second race on Level 4 I started noticing slow-down with the framerate. Has anyone else experienced this while playing the higher level races? I thought maybe it was just that one particular race but I've noticed it on several of the Level 4 ticket events. Just curious as to see if my experience with it is unique or not.

When I saw it happen (on several occassions) it didn't seem like there was necessarily more going on than there had been before.

Other than these few framerate instances and the horribly repetitive soundtrack (good grief do we need the custom soundtrack option!) I am loving this game. It's been a long time since I've been this addicted to a racing game. Offers nice breaks from God Of War II, which I think I intentionally walk away from just because I don't want it to be over! LOL.

Agreed, I noticed absolutely no slow down untill the level 4 races, and what is confusing is that it is very slight and random. The game will run smoothly with 12 cars on screen and then all of a sudden there is a slow down when only a few cars are on the screen. The slow down is not enough to bother me, in that it doesn't feel like the typical "chugging" when a games framerate typically drops.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #7 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually it is almost like a slo motion mode that actually gives you a break to gather your beaings and recover from the otherwise mind numbing speed of the game!
post #8 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
^i get the joke, but in my case its very quick and then everything goes back to a smooth frame rate. Not nearly enough time to catch my bearings.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #9 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

It only happens when there is alot of Post Processing going on, especially when there are more than one veichele crashing on screen, during the race at once.

Since each physic engine of the cars crash is offloaded to the SPE's.

I can understand the code not being fully optimized? Perhaps, but who em I to say something like this? Its a first gen game, for what it does, and what it is; its one of the best!

Imagine the possiblities of MS 2?
post #10 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Stupid question alert!

How do you know what level of races you are on, are you talking about the fourth ticket? or the fourth race on a ticket?

I have noticed slow down with large early crashes (when everyone is still in the same area), I think this has only happened two the three times for me, but I haven't spent a ton of time with it.

Of course now I am going to be looking for slow down, thanks a lot
post #11 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Each ticket has a level number on it. You start out unlocking level 1 tickets and end with level 4.

And yeah, I'm working on level 3 races now and have seen it slow down a couple of times, nothing major by any means but a llittle dissapointing all the same.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I got two tickets left, and this game is beat
post #13 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, there's some slowdown. Nothing major though. However, it gives you reason as to why this game didn't go 1080p.....
post #14 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

Agreed, I noticed absolutely no slow down untill the level 4 races, and what is confusing is that it is very slight and random. The game will run smoothly with 12 cars on screen and then all of a sudden there is a slow down when only a few cars are on the screen. The slow down is not enough to bother me, in that it doesn't feel like the typical "chugging" when a games framerate typically drops.

You answered the slow down question right there like Smokey said....when there is a major crash the game framerate takes a dive. You will usually see it when there is a major crash in front of you but I have had it happen when I know I caused a major pile up behind me. Thus 12 cars quickly turns to 3. You people on the lower level races - your not likely to see the rates dive as much because you are usually way in the lead and the cars are more spread out. Once the level 3 and especially 4 races are run, all the cars are always bunched up on themselves and you will have major crashes more often.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #15 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

DogDoC - how you been my man? Anytime soon you playing MS online? I tried to find you peeps the other night, no luck!

It was fun btw.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY View Post

DogDoC - how you been my man? Anytime soon you playing MS online? I tried to find you peeps the other night, no luck!

It was fun btw.

I'm usually trying to get online at 7-10pm. If your online and you see me pop up as logging in - I'm usually heading to motorstorm to see who is online. Past few nights no one had a room and other friends were playing other games so I went off to play resistance some more. If you want to play online get a room going and I'll gladly join you if your there.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #17 of 17 Old 03-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed this issue last night as well. I forget the name of the track, but all vehicles are ATV's and when there was a lot of mud around and a lot of crashes, the game would slow down considerably. It would recover just fine, but hopefully the developers can take better use of the SPE's moving forward.

Yes, the soundtrack is horrible although I do love the Nirvana song.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page