Join the AVS Forum Folding@Home Team! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 1815 Old 04-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgatour View Post

The budget had to be cut somewhere The overclocking promise of the 4300 led me in that direction for the cost. I went with quality everything else so that later this year when quads drop below $300, I wouldn't have any problems justifying making a cpu change.

That being said, I'm just a novice overclocker right now but it is really frustrating me. I have only been able to get the system to post at 2.25ghz which is what it is running at right now. I'm currently running Project 2610 (Run 0, Clone 158, Gen 9) at about 27min/frame which would put me in just under 2 days.

With people getting 3ghz without breaking a sweat, I'm frustrated.

I have the FSB running at 250mhz (so 9x * 250 = 2.25ghz) and the RAM at 500 mhz. I have the timings set to auto and haven't played with adjusting any voltages.

I guess I need to read up on overclocking quite a bit more. From all I have read, it is supposed to be quite simple on this mobo but I'm certainly having trouble.

I'm an idiot. I noticed I had my RAM OC'd way to high and I wasn't even paying attention to it. I dropped it down to 400 (800 DDR duh) and upped the FSB to 333 to get me to 3ghz with good temps.

My first frame at 3ghz was 25m 13s while also running Speedfan and Asus Probe to monitor temps and voltage and doing some research on the net. I'll have to quit using my computer so it can work as fast as possible.

Update: Without doing anything but running the F@H, Asus Probe and Speedfan, my last 2 frames are down to 23m 3s. I wonder if I can get some more out of the 4300...

Another update: I'm now running the "little processor that could" at 3.15ghz. So far so good being stable running the SMP for a couple hours now.

Needless to say, I am much more pleased now

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 1815 Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giz View Post

Dan - thanks for the help, you got me on the right road. I went home and it was at 7% after 24 hours, so I cancelled it. I watched the CPU usage for a while and saw it tick up from 18% or 20% to around 55% to 65% every several seconds. Something was using the CPU. With msconfig, I rebooted into a minimal mode and had no issues with CPU usage, basically 1% or less. So I played around a bit allowing more programs to startup, but I never found out which exact program or programs were causing the problem. However, I was able to start up with the programs I needed (including virus, etc.) and have no CPU issues. I ran SMP for about 12 hours last night and I am on pace to finish a 1,000,000 WU in a bit over 2 days.

Glad I could help!

Was your hard drive working as the CPU cycles were ticking up? I know that if left along for a while, Windows will start de-fragging the hard drive in the background. There's a way to disable it, but it has to be done through TweakUI. But since it went away when you disabled startup items through MSConfig, I doubt it's that.

Did you just disable all the non-microsoft services, or disable the startup group, or both?

I know there's also some malicious software out there that works very much like F@H to use your CPU time - but without your permission. Since by default F@H sets itself to the lowest priority, anything with a higher priority will hog all the cycles.

Just guessing now - perhaps some sort of indexing software or "performance enhancing" software that runs in the background? Something like Systemworks perhaps?
DanLW is offline  
post #453 of 1815 Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like we are at #374 and on our current pace could crack the top 300 in 7 or 8 days.

Keep up the good work. We are just a few months from the top 100.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #454 of 1815 Old 04-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Member
 
cdn57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do we access our additional stats which display current rate of progression, threats and teams we should overtake?
cdn57 is offline  
post #455 of 1815 Old 04-20-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn57 View Post

How do we access our additional stats which display current rate of progression, threats and teams we should overtake?

Go back to the first page of this thread. In the first post there are four links. The 3rd and 4th links are to 3rd party F@H tracking sites which give more detailed info than what Stanford provides.

In fact, here they are:

EOC Stats for Team AVS
fahstats.com

But for future reference, the easiest way to find these is to just hit the first page of this thread (since this post will soon be burried)



By looking at the EOC chart, it looks like we're plateauing as far as production goes. We need to get some new members! I'm also worried that once summer hits, the numbers will drop as room temperatures begin rising above acceptable levels.
DanLW is offline  
post #456 of 1815 Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
riffjim4069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Formerly Spotsylvania VA now Dallas TX Metroplex
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

By looking at the EOC chart, it looks like we're plateauing as far as production goes. We need to get some new members! I'm also worried that once summer hits, the numbers will drop as room temperatures begin rising above acceptable levels.

Unfortunately, there is no way I am going to run my little heaters 24/7 while also paying for A/C this summer. I'll probably only run them for 3-5 folds per week. We need 500+ more members.
riffjim4069 is offline  
post #457 of 1815 Old 04-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Giz
Member
 
Giz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

Glad I could help!

Was your hard drive working as the CPU cycles were ticking up? I know that if left along for a while, Windows will start de-fragging the hard drive in the background. There's a way to disable it, but it has to be done through TweakUI. But since it went away when you disabled startup items through MSConfig, I doubt it's that.

I don't think it was that either, as it started happening immediately after booting up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

Did you just disable all the non-microsoft services, or disable the startup group, or both?

I left nearly all of the services running. I just turned off a couple, one of which was the Tivo server. I enabled the start up group, but with very few programs running (Webroot, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

I know there's also some malicious software out there that works very much like F@H to use your CPU time - but without your permission. Since by default F@H sets itself to the lowest priority, anything with a higher priority will hog all the cycles.

Just guessing now - perhaps some sort of indexing software or "performance enhancing" software that runs in the background? Something like Systemworks perhaps?

I don't think I have any of that running, I think the manufacturer just loaded it up with too many programs. It has an update agent that has been quite persistent, but I think I got it to the point that it doesn't run constantly as a program. The computer came with Systemworks, but I dont' use it. I thought it was uninstalled, but I saw it within msconfig (I remember hearing that it takes a lot to get it totally deleted). I'm not too good with this stuff, so I will need to take my time and add things back in the startup group till I can isolate the program or programs that are causing the trouble.

The good news is that it completed the first SMP WU within the last couple hours. It started the WU on Wednesday evening.

Does anyone know how I figure out how many points I got for the SMP WU?
Giz is offline  
post #458 of 1815 Old 04-20-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
FAHmon works pretty well to show you the info on your current work units.

http://fahmon.silent-blade.org/index...=Main.Download

It gives you info such as follows:

Core: Gromacs
Project: 2610
Credit: 1523 points
Username: DanLW (55280)
Downloaded: April 19 11:42
Preferred Deadline: April 23 11:42
Final Deadline: April 23 11:42

For each program it monitors (it can monitor several FAH programs running on your computer) the following stats are given:

Progress: 47%
Name: F@H SMP
ETA: 1d 12h 42m
PPD: 524.25
DanLW is offline  
post #459 of 1815 Old 04-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

FAHmon works pretty well to show you the info on your current work units.

http://fahmon.silent-blade.org/index...=Main.Download

It gives you info such as follows:

Core: Gromacs
Project: 2610
Credit: 1523 points
Username: DanLW (55280)
Downloaded: April 19 11:42
Preferred Deadline: April 23 11:42
Final Deadline: April 23 11:42

For each program it monitors (it can monitor several FAH programs running on your computer) the following stats are given:

Progress: 47%
Name: F@H SMP
ETA: 1d 12h 42m
PPD: 524.25

Dan,

Any tips getting it to work on the SMP client. I see yours is working but I can't get it to monitor mine. Did yours just work right away? Do you need to launch the monitor first then then start the client? Are you running Windows or Linux?
I'm running Vista right now but some time late tonight or tomorrow after my WU finishes, I'm going to install Ubuntu and run SMP from there. I've heard its faster on Linux.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #460 of 1815 Old 04-20-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rieper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York NY
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone having problems with Folding@Home on the PS3 after updating to Firmware Update 1.7???

I am having controller issues (I can't quit/exit) when running Folding@Home on my PS3 ever since updating to Firmware 1.7 yesterday. I select Quit, but the controller doesn't respond. I even tried using the Bluetooth remote for the PS3, and Quit option doesn't respond.

???
Rieper is offline  
post #461 of 1815 Old 04-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Teamhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not upgraded yet.. didn't want to kill my progress... getting into the top 20, there is no messing around. Jerz and I are neck and neck!!!! I think my work SMP should finish tomorrow... this is a battle to keep 14!!
Teamhood is offline  
post #462 of 1815 Old 04-20-2007, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgatour View Post

Any tips getting it to work on the SMP client. I see yours is working but I can't get it to monitor mine. Did yours just work right away? Do you need to launch the monitor first then then start the client? Are you running Windows or Linux?
I'm running Vista right now but some time late tonight or tomorrow after my WU finishes, I'm going to install Ubuntu and run SMP from there. I've heard its faster on Linux.

Right click on the left side of the FAHMon window and select "Add a new client". Then namne it and tell it the location of the program file.

But there's more. Clicking on "Help Topics" in the "Help" menu takes you to this site:

http://fahmon.silent-blade.org/index.php?n=Main.Help

Scroll all the way down to the bottom to find the section titled "Updating FahMon to monitor Windows SMP clients". Follow those instructions.
DanLW is offline  
post #463 of 1815 Old 04-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Going to take my SMP folding computer down for a few days to upgrade and tweak it some. May or may not drop positions since over half my daily points come from the SMP computer. I know Zechman and I are close enough that we keep switching position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamhood View Post

I have not upgraded yet.. didn't want to kill my progress... getting into the top 20, there is no messing around. Jerz and I are neck and neck!!!! I think my work SMP should finish tomorrow... this is a battle to keep 14!!

It shouldn't kill your progress if you update the PS3 to 1.7. I updated mine and it resumed the current WU it was on without any problems.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #464 of 1815 Old 04-21-2007, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rieper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York NY
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

Going to take my SMP folding computer down for a few days to upgrade and tweak it some. May or may not drop positions since over half my daily points come from the SMP computer. I know Zechman and I are close enough that we keep switching position.



It shouldn't kill your progress if you update the PS3 to 1.7. I updated mine and it resumed the current WU it was on without any problems.

I noticed you upgraded your PS3 to Update 1.7 recently.

Did you notice any controller issues when folding@home on your PS3?

I can bring up the Folding@home menu, but when I select Quit, the controller doesn't respond and I can't quit. I literally have to connect using the USB cable to my PS3 and only after a few more tries does it register the command and I can actually quit.

Weird...
Rieper is offline  
post #465 of 1815 Old 04-21-2007, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

Right click on the left side of the FAHMon window and select "Add a new client". Then namne it and tell it the location of the program file.

But there's more. Clicking on "Help Topics" in the "Help" menu takes you to this site:

http://fahmon.silent-blade.org/index.php?n=Main.Help

Scroll all the way down to the bottom to find the section titled "Updating FahMon to monitor Windows SMP clients". Follow those instructions.

Thanks Dan. If I go back to running SMP under Windows I will use this info and see if I can get it to work. I have been having some BSOD problems in my clean install of Vista and I can't completely rule out that the SMP client isn't the one causing the problems. It seems to be the only common thing right now. I have run Memtest 86+ with no problems reported, my temps are well within range, I have all the latest drivers installed for everything. So, I downloaded Ubuntu and am, after several hours of trouble getting it going, running the SMP for Linux. Unfortunately, since I'm a noob at Linux, I don't quite get all the steps for compiling that I need to get FahMon working at the moment. Oh well, hopefully I can atleast count on not coming home to a rebooted computer waiting for a password.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #466 of 1815 Old 04-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

I noticed you upgraded your PS3 to Update 1.7 recently.

Did you notice any controller issues when folding@home on your PS3?

I can bring up the Folding@home menu, but when I select Quit, the controller doesn't respond and I can't quit. I literally have to connect using the USB cable to my PS3 and only after a few more tries does it register the command and I can actually quit.

Weird...

I upgraded yesterday and I don't have any controller issues. Seems like a weird problem.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #467 of 1815 Old 04-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

I noticed you upgraded your PS3 to Update 1.7 recently.

Did you notice any controller issues when folding@home on your PS3?

I can bring up the Folding@home menu, but when I select Quit, the controller doesn't respond and I can't quit. I literally have to connect using the USB cable to my PS3 and only after a few more tries does it register the command and I can actually quit.

Weird...

I haven't seen any issues with the controller when folding@home.

Have you tried re-pairing (resync) the controller to the PS3? Do you still have the problem consistently?

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #468 of 1815 Old 04-21-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Status report:

AVS is currently #40 in terms of points produced per day. That means if nothing changes, eventually our team will reach the #40 spot, and that's the highest we will go. It would take us just over 1yr 3mo to accomplish this.

If we can produce a little over just 10,000ppd more, we could make #35. (Our current production is approx 69,000ppd) That would be 115% current production.

If we could reach the 100,000ppd mark, we would make #30. (145% current production)

To be in the top 10, we need to produce over 206,000ppd. (299% current production)

To be number one, we need to get 763,000ppd. (1,106% current production)

At current, we should be within the top 100 in 5 or 6 months.

In the top 2000, there are no teams behind us which are making more points per day than we are.

If every PS3 with the username "PS3" was one team, it would be 20th place right now, and first place before the end of the year.

There are a little over 12,000PS3s with the default username. (active in the past week)
DanLW is offline  
post #469 of 1815 Old 04-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Teamhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dan,

So, your telling me that we need more people folding eh? Alright, everyone we need all folders to add one more PS3 to the mix and everyone upgrade to Core 2 Duo's... than... we can make it happen
Teamhood is offline  
post #470 of 1815 Old 04-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamhood View Post

Dan,

So, your telling me that we need more people folding eh? Alright, everyone we need all folders to add one more PS3 to the mix and everyone upgrade to Core 2 Duo's... than... we can make it happen

Haha I took my Core 2 Duo out of the mix. It'll be added back sometime later next week after I fix it up and tweak it. (Should then fold faster.)

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #471 of 1815 Old 04-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamhood View Post

Dan,

So, your telling me that we need more people folding eh? Alright, everyone we need all folders to add one more PS3 to the mix and everyone upgrade to Core 2 Duo's... than... we can make it happen

Geez, I have added a PS3 and C2D rig in the last 2 weeks. Now I'm thinking I need to skip rent next month and pick up the Core 2 Quad 6600. So much pressure for this folding stuff.

In all seriousness, I am thinking about returning my E4300 (which I have OC'd pretty easily to 3ghz without playing with voltages) and getting the E6600 with hopes of reaching 3.4 or 3.5ghz. Thats about spending an extra $100 or so..hmm. Here is the spreadsheet from another forum where people are posting their frame times:
http://members.cox.net/foldinginfo/smp2.htm

As you can see for project 2610, a guy posted his e4300 at 2.7ghz getting 29m/frame. Then there is someone running a 6600 at stock and getting 14'54"/frame. Overclocking drops it even more.

However, there is someone that posted a 4300 at 3.38ghz and getting 15' 22"/frame. Now, if I could find a way to hit that mark, I wouldn't spend the extra money.

I haven't received a project 2610 yet so I can't compare how I stack up. I'm currently running project 2609 at about 23'40"/frame on Linux SMP. It should be finished in a few hours.

I really need to quit looking around the overclock forums

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #472 of 1815 Old 04-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you do return your current E4300 for the E6600 your folding times will be faster. The bigger L2 cache helps a lot for the frame times. E4300 has 2 MB L2 cache while the E6600 has 4 MB L2 cache. Or you can get one of the newer chips, E6420 or E6320, both with 4 MB L2 as well.

I went originally from a T2400 (2 MB L2) to an T7400 (4 MB L2), my folding times decreased by over 50%. P2610 on the T2400 averaged around 28-30 min per frame I believe. Now with the T7400 it averages about 13-14 minutes per frame.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #473 of 1815 Old 04-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

If you do return your current E4300 for the E6600 your folding times will be faster. The bigger L2 cache helps a lot for the frame times. E4300 has 2 MB L2 cache while the E6600 has 4 MB L2 cache. Or you can get one of the newer chips, E6420 or E6320, both with 4 MB L2 as well.

I went originally from a T2400 (2 MB L2) to an T7400 (4 MB L2), my folding times decreased by over 50%. P2610 on the T2400 averaged around 28-30 min per frame I believe. Now with the T7400 it averages about 13-14 minutes per frame.

Lyshen,

Is that running them at stock speed? Just the extra cache improved the times that much?

The 4mb cache was actually the reason I was thinking about upgrading. I was looking at the 6420 but the multiplier only goes to 8x instead of the 9x on the 6600 and 4300. I would pay the extra 40 bucks for the 6600 over the 6420 to keep the FSB slower to get the overclock.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #474 of 1815 Old 04-23-2007, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgatour View Post

However, there is someone that posted a 4300 at 3.38ghz and getting 15' 22"/frame. Now, if I could find a way to hit that mark, I wouldn't spend the extra money.

You basically need to get lucky and find a "golden CPU". If you were to get ten processors, all the same model, and overclock them all on the same system, you'd get ten different top speeds.

In fact, that's basically how processor manufacturers determine how to label a particular CPU. Of course, they don't install each CPU into a test board and start checking clocks. They have test machines that automatically check each processor before it goes through laser marking. For example, the Core 2 Duo E6300 and E6400 likely have the exact same die. They may even have been next to each other on the silicon wafer they were made on. The difference is when they went through electrical testing, the E6400 worked correctly at a higher speed than the E6300.

Of course, higher speeds can be attained through more robust cooling - usually. But the manufacturer sets a speed based on various criteria they have, and with the expectation that it will go into an "average" computer with cooling based off their minimum spec. Lowest common denominator, basically.

How high can you go? I think Tom's Hardware once got a processor up to 5GHz using liquid nitrogen!

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/12/30/5_ghz_project/
DanLW is offline  
post #475 of 1815 Old 04-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Zechman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

I know Zechman and I are close enough that we keep switching position.

That's what makes it exciting!!!

...plus the fact that I'm doing it with only my PS3 and ONE well-tuned C2Duo CPU.

(Mrs. Zechman gives me mean looks when I suggest buying another PS3 just to run F@H.... )

--Dwayne

P.S. Add me to the list of 1.7 users with no problems.
Zechman is offline  
post #476 of 1815 Old 04-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechman View Post

That's what makes it exciting!!!

...plus the fact that I'm doing it with only my PS3 and ONE well-tuned C2Duo CPU.

(Mrs. Zechman gives me mean looks when I suggest buying another PS3 just to run F@H.... )

--Dwayne

P.S. Add me to the list of 1.7 users with no problems.

Could you give us some details on this famous well-tuned C2Duo? I will hopefully be getting my E6600 tomorrow and look forward to cutting my frame times down by 40 or 50%.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #477 of 1815 Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Teamhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to stanford's page??
Teamhood is offline  
post #478 of 1815 Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamhood View Post

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to stanford's page??

Just connecting in general to check stats/etc? Not for me as of right now. I can surf the site just fine.

If you are asking about upload issues, I can't comment because I don't have anything that needs to upload right now.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #479 of 1815 Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgatour View Post

Lyshen,

Is that running them at stock speed? Just the extra cache improved the times that much?

The 4mb cache was actually the reason I was thinking about upgrading. I was looking at the 6420 but the multiplier only goes to 8x instead of the 9x on the 6600 and 4300. I would pay the extra 40 bucks for the 6600 over the 6420 to keep the FSB slower to get the overclock.

Those frame times for me were running at near stock speeds.

The T2400 is 1.86 Ghz overclocked to 2.2 Ghz (28-30 min per frame). The T7400 (2.16 GHz stock) I had it run at stock initially to get an idea of how much improvment there was. For the T7400 at stock speed, each frame time for P2610 was roughly 16-17 minutes.

That alone is a rather big jump, since both CPUs were running at similar speeds, except the FSB on the T2400 was a bit higher. The only real difference left is the L2 cache size and the updated CPU architecture (Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo). But I didn't expect that big of a drop in frame times but it is welcome.

Overclocking the T7400 pushed the times down more.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #480 of 1815 Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Teamhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like my work blocked it... I can't even hit their website... damnit and I had a Core 2 Duo here
Teamhood is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off