Join the AVS Forum Folding@Home Team! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 1815 Old 05-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the Tuniq Tower good? Maybe I should switch heatsinks to that one or some other tower type... currently using Si-128 by Thermalright with a 120 mm @ 800 rpm.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 1815 Old 05-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

Is the Tuniq Tower good? Maybe I should switch heatsinks to that one or some other tower type... currently using Si-128 by Thermalright with a 120 mm @ 800 rpm.

I am liking it so far. With ambient in the apt. around 78F during the day, it keeps the E6600 OC'd at 3.51ghz to about 53C at full load running F@H. And that is using some Antec compound that I bought in a pinch at Fry's. If the Q6600 actually ships today, I ordered some AS5 to go with it.

Well, Newegg told me there is no way they were going to ship today so I canceled the order. No need to pay for overnight shipping and not get it until Monday. Maybe this will give me the weekend to decide if I really need to spend the extra money...LOL.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #633 of 1815 Old 05-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, it only took me 6 years to get to my 500th post.

And what a great 500th post this is

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #634 of 1815 Old 05-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After some thinking I decided to get a new CPU heatsink. (Although not looking forward to disassembling the computer to put in the new heatsink.) Took a look around at different reviews, seems the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is one of the best. Its similar to the Tuniq Tower but supposedly better.

In comparing with the Si-120 I think the Ultra-120 is superior, especially for my system setup. Currently mine is setup so the fan blows the air onto the motherboard and a rear case fan sucks air out. With the Ultra-120, the CPU fan will push the air across the heatsink (east-west) and towards the rear case fan. End result is that it will have an easier time ventilating the hot air out.

pgatour:
Congratz on 500th post.

From my experiences of ordering from Newegg, their cutoff time to ship the same day is roughly around 12:15PM PST. This is of course assuming the order is being shipped out of their California warehouse. (They have multiple warehouses)

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #635 of 1815 Old 05-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

After some thinking I decided to get a new CPU heatsink. (Although not looking forward to disassembling the computer to put in the new heatsink.) Took a look around at different reviews, seems the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is one of the best. Its similar to the Tuniq Tower but supposedly better.

In comparing with the Si-120 I think the Ultra-120 is superior, especially for my system setup. Currently mine is setup so the fan blows the air onto the motherboard and a rear case fan sucks air out. With the Ultra-120, the CPU fan will push the air across the heatsink (east-west) and towards the rear case fan. End result is that it will have an easier time ventilating the hot air out.

pgatour:
Congratz on 500th post.

From my experiences of ordering from Newegg, their cutoff time to ship the same day is roughly around 12:15PM PST. This is of course assuming the order is being shipped out of their California warehouse. (They have multiple warehouses)

That heatsink looks very impressive as well in the reviews. Let us know how it works out. Where did you manage to find it in stock?

I kind of like how the fan in the Tuniq is mounted inside the heatsink. I have it pointed straight at the rear exhaust fan and there probably isn't more than an inch between the edge of the heatsink and the rear case fan.

Well, I thought that around noon PST was their cut-off time as well. But when I talked to a customer service rep at about 1:30 PST since my order was still at stage 1, she told me there was zero chance it would ship today. So I told her to cancel.
The 8 page Fry's ad comes out tomorrow so maybe they will have a deal for the Q6600. Their current price is $565 plus tax which is not acceptable at all. Although it is nice to be able to return things without worrying about a restocking fee.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #636 of 1815 Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll let you know how the Ultra-120 Extreme performs once I get it and can run some benchmarks on it. The SI-128 works fairly good but I think the heatpipes long distance from the base to the fins works against it... can't dissipate the heat fast enough.

As for where I found it in stock, I checked Thermalright's website retailer listing, a few had it in stock. Picked one (Sidewinder Computers) that is out of state so I won't have to pay sales tax yet close enough that can get it relatively fast. I think I should get it either saturday or monday... used USPS.

Btw, I haven't used it yet but I have Kill-a-watt as well. I think I'll try measuring just how much power the system pulls. I swapped out my 7900GT for a X1950XT as well. Although not a big upgrade it still is a nice upgrade since I got it for a bargain. Also idle power of the x1950xt isn't much higher then a 7900GT.
My guess... maybe 180 watts or so. My T7400 system only pulled about 75 watts with full load (SMP F@H running).... crazy low.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #637 of 1815 Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

I'll let you know how the Ultra-120 Extreme performs once I get it and can run some benchmarks on it. The SI-128 works fairly good but I think the heatpipes long distance from the base to the fins works against it... can't dissipate the heat fast enough.

As for where I found it in stock, I checked Thermalright's website retailer listing, a few had it in stock. Picked one (Sidewinder Computers) that is out of state so I won't have to pay sales tax yet close enough that can get it relatively fast. I think I should get it either saturday or monday... used USPS.

Btw, I haven't used it yet but I have Kill-a-watt as well. I think I'll try measuring just how much power the system pulls. I swapped out my 7900GT for a X1950XT as well. Although not a big upgrade it still is a nice upgrade since I got it for a bargain. Also idle power of the x1950xt isn't much higher then a 7900GT.
My guess... maybe 180 watts or so. My T7400 system only pulled about 75 watts with full load (SMP F@H running).... crazy low.

Sounds good. I got the Tuniq shipped USPS as well. 2 day priority from MN to Texas was only like 6 bucks or something. Nice to see some companies using that as an alternative to UPS and FedEx. It can be cheaper, faster and my USPS guy seems to deliver earlier in the day than UPS and FedEx as well.

That is a crazy low energy usage. Let us know what you find out about the Xeon rig. What is the thermal rating for that Xeon?

I'm not sure going from the E6600 at 65w to the Q6600 at 105w would actually save any electricity. I'll have to check some numbers and see how an extra 40w/hour compares to how much I save by being able to shut down the system a couple hours more each day.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #638 of 1815 Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thermal rating on the Xeon is the same as the Q6600, 105 watt.

Also something you gotta keep in mind, you're E6600 is using more than 65 watts... remember you are overclocking it.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #639 of 1815 Old 05-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

Thermal rating on the Xeon is the same as the Q6600, 105 watt.

Also something you gotta keep in mind, you're E6600 is using more than 65 watts... remember you are overclocking it.

Well, in all reality I would probably overclock the Q6600 as well. I should have checked the Kill-a-Watt meter when I had the E6600 running at stock to see how much more it is using being overclocked.

The difference between idle and full load on the E6600 is 50 watts at 3.51ghz.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #640 of 1815 Old 05-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
gfsiii,

Congrats on 300 WU's

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #641 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Teamhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question: how many of you were into folding before the f@h PS3 client came out? I remember hearing about when I was in school, but never acted on it. For some reason, when the PS3 client came out, I was like... well I don't really use the machine and I would like it to do something Next thing you know... I am looking at upgrading all my computers because I can't believe that something 2 years old just gets smoked by the PS3
Teamhood is offline  
post #642 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamhood View Post

Question: how many of you were into folding before the f@h PS3 client came out? I remember hearing about when I was in school, but never acted on it. For some reason, when the PS3 client came out, I was like... well I don't really use the machine and I would like it to do something Next thing you know... I am looking at upgrading all my computers because I can't believe that something 2 years old just gets smoked by the PS3

I had known about SETI for a long time but never heard about F@H until they started talking about it for the PS3. I started folding on my old AMD system, then added the PS3 sometime in early April and then built a whole new rig to improve my folding potential.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #643 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tindizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been folding since Oct. 2006 and I had ~80K points with another team. Too bad I can't transfer them

btw I'm waiting for my Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme to arrive I'm anxious to see how high my new E6600 will go.
tindizzle is offline  
post #644 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindizzle View Post

I've been folding since Oct. 2006 and I had ~80K points with another team. Too bad I can't transfer them

btw I'm waiting for my Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme to arrive I'm anxious to see how high my new E6600 will go.

Looks like you and Lyshen are getting the same heatsink. You both should see some nice drops in temps.

What heatsink were you using before? What mobo are you putting the E6600 in?

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #645 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tindizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using the stock heatsink for now to test the memory. I bought a Asus P5N-e SLI board. I will be happy if I can hit 3.6Ghz
tindizzle is offline  
post #646 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindizzle View Post

I'm using the stock heatsink for now to test the memory. I bought a Asus P5N-e SLI board. I will be happy if I can hit 3.6Ghz

I had that board originally as well. I could only get to 3.15ghz. I'm not sure what the problem was. I tried 3.24ghz on several occasions and cpu temps showed to be just fine but I would get BSOD's in Vista and lockups in Ubuntu. You may need to check the NB to see how hot it is getting. That may have been my problem.

It does seem to get good reviews though and I can't be totally sure the board was at fault because when I yanked out the mobo I changed just about every other part of the system as well

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #647 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamhood View Post

Question: how many of you were into folding before the f@h PS3 client came out? I remember hearing about when I was in school, but never acted on it. For some reason, when the PS3 client came out, I was like... well I don't really use the machine and I would like it to do something Next thing you know... I am looking at upgrading all my computers because I can't believe that something 2 years old just gets smoked by the PS3

I knew about Seti and F@H for awhile now but didn't work on either one. My reasons back then were that my computer wasn't on 24/7 and when it was on I wanted all the power I could get... also didn't want to leave it on because they were noisy.

Fast forward a few years, now I build my computers with the goal of being silent. Also the fact that I don't play games as much as I did, leaves a lot of possible number crunching time. Lastly, since the computers are pretty much silent, I don't mind leaving them on 24/7.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #648 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgatour View Post

Looks like you and Lyshen are getting the same heatsink. You both should see some nice drops in temps.

Looks like I'll be getting my heatsink tomorrow. I'm hoping the temps drop around 10 C. I'm thinking its possible because SI-128 isn't that good for dealing with lots of heat... due to less heatpipes and the heatpipes having to travel a bit before they reach the fins. Guess we'll see, wishful thinking.

Although the SI-128 works rather well with the Mobile Core Duo & Mobile Core 2 Duo series. (Doesn't really need a fan)

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #649 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

Looks like I'll be getting my heatsink tomorrow. I'm hoping the temps drop around 10 C. I'm thinking its possible because SI-128 isn't that good for dealing with lots of heat... due to less heatpipes and the heatpipes having to travel a bit before they reach the fins. Guess we'll see, wishful thinking.

Although the SI-128 works rather well with the Mobile Core Duo & Mobile Core 2 Duo series. (Doesn't really need a fan)

I love getting new toys in the mail

Let us know how it does and if it lives up to all the hype.


On a crappy note, I just had a WU get to 87% and then say it couldn't continue. It tried sending what it had done, that failed, so it deleted it and downloaded a new WU. What an excellent waste of about 3.4 KWh of electricity.

And I just noticed that it downloaded the same WU that it just failed to complete.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #650 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgatour View Post

I love getting new toys in the mail

Let us know how it does and if it lives up to all the hype.


On a crappy note, I just had a WU get to 87% and then say it couldn't continue. It tried sending what it had done, that failed, so it deleted it and downloaded a new WU. What an excellent waste of about 3.4 KWh of electricity.

And I just noticed that it downloaded the same WU that it just failed to complete.

Wow that sucks.

Any idea why it couldn't continue? Perhaps send the logs to F@H people? Assuming there is something worthwhile to look at in the logs.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #651 of 1815 Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

Wow that sucks.

Any idea why it couldn't continue? Perhaps send the logs to F@H people? Assuming there is something worthwhile to look at in the logs.

Well, it gave me the same error that quite a few other people have gotten in an ongoing thread on the folding forum. I haven't read the whole thread but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the error.

As an update, something caused a BSOD in Vista at some point in the last 2 hours while I was watching a movie. I can only assume that it was the SMP client because it was the only thing running. It wasn't a thermal shutdown because temps are steady at 50C at full load. I have run memtest86+ several times with no errors so I have to assume my RAM is fine as well. So everything ran well 24/7 for the last week or so since I got this rig rebuilt and then all the sudden today I get a bad WU and then a BSOD. I guess that is why this is still a beta client. Might be time to download VMWare and run the Linux client on it. It is supposed to be more efficient.

Well I just read that a WU could stop before 100% and retry 3 times before it quits altogether and a different one is downloaded. If I have to spend 2+ days watching this thing get to 87% and then failing 3 times I am not going to be a happy camper.

I have just about had it now. I got the bad WU deleted and a new one downloaded. I let it run overnight with no problems and got to about 35%. I needed to reboot the system this morning so I shut down the client, waited about 10 minutes to give the cores plenty of time to finish, and then rebooted. I restarted the client and got the 0xfffffffff error. I had to rerun install.bat and lost the WU that was at 35%. Had to start all over, again. If this continues to happen I'm done until the client gets out of Beta.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #652 of 1815 Old 05-05-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cadbury8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamhood View Post

Question: how many of you were into folding before the f@h PS3 client came out? I remember hearing about when I was in school, but never acted on it. For some reason, when the PS3 client came out, I was like... well I don't really use the machine and I would like it to do something Next thing you know... I am looking at upgrading all my computers because I can't believe that something 2 years old just gets smoked by the PS3

I didnt know anything about folding@home until i found out about it from the ps3 stuff. its cool so i use both my computers at home with it. Word of mouth sure takes a long time. lol. didnt know about seti either. now i wish i had saved those older computers i once had. could have put them to a good use instead of tossing them. they could have been updated to do folding for only a few dollars.
cadbury8 is offline  
post #653 of 1815 Old 05-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgatour View Post

I love getting new toys in the mail

Let us know how it does and if it lives up to all the hype.

Wow, just got it installed not long ago and have it running F@H for about 15 minutes now. Initial impression wise is, it definetly lives up to the hype. I will leave it running F@H for awhile and see how the temps hold up.

I measured temps last night at around 8:30PM and the CPU under load with a SI-128 was 57 Celsius. The cores were at #1 69 C, #2 66 C, #3 69 C, #4 65 C.

Now currently at 4:40PM, the CPU while under load is 47 C, Cores are at #1 58 C, #2 49 C, #3 56 C, and #4 48 C.

Thats a pretty big drop in temperature, especially when you factor in the higher ambient temperature in the room. Ambient currently is higher now than what it was last night when I measured the temps.

Only thing that bothers me is the rather big difference between cores 1/3 and 2/4. Wondering if thats because the mounting bracket isn't that good. They revised the Socket 775 bracket for the Ultra 120 Extreme, and I think it may not apply pressure evenly on the heatsink. (Btw you can slightly rotate the heatsink in a circle, until you hit the bracket.)



Currently thinking of buying the old style mounting bracket, bending it a little so I can squeeze it between the heatpipes, rebend it and then putting it into place.

pgatour:
You're right, the mounting kit is definetly easier and better than the standard LGA 775 ones. Now... what do I do with this spare Thermalright SI-128.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #654 of 1815 Old 05-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

Wow, just got it installed not long ago and have it running F@H for about 15 minutes now. Initial impression wise is, it definetly lives up to the hype. I will leave it running F@H for awhile and see how the temps hold up.

I measured temps last night at around 8:30PM and the CPU under load with a SI-128 was 57 Celsius. The cores were at #1 69 C, #2 66 C, #3 69 C, #4 65 C.

Now currently at 4:40PM, the CPU while under load is 47 C, Cores are at #1 58 C, #2 49 C, #3 56 C, and #4 48 C.

Thats a pretty big drop in temperature, especially when you factor in the higher ambient temperature in the room. Ambient currently is higher now than what it was last night when I measured the temps.

Only thing that bothers me is the rather big difference between cores 1/3 and 2/4. Wondering if thats because the mounting bracket isn't that good. They revised the Socket 775 bracket for the Ultra 120 Extreme, and I think it may not apply pressure evenly on the heatsink. (Btw you can slightly rotate the heatsink in a circle, until you hit the bracket.)

Currently thinking of buying the old style mounting bracket, bending it a little so I can squeeze it between the heatpipes, rebend it and then putting it into place.

That does seem to be quite the disparity in temps on the cores.

The rotating of the heatsink seems to be a known issue with that model and even with my Tuniq Tower. As long as you have a nice layer of thermal compound I don't think it is a big deal. Its like the heatsink is just "floating" on a layer of thermal compound. I guess if I order the Q6600 next week I might be able to compare my temps with yours and see if I get the same disparity. I'm not sure if this issue is related to the temp differences or not.

What program are you using to monitor temps? If you are just using one, you might try using 2 programs at the same time and see what you get (Speedfan and Coretemp). See if they get the same values.

Even with the temp inconsistency that is a huge drop in temps on the cores. Nice purchase

Yes, that push-pin crap is just ridiculous. Of course, with the weight of these massive heatsinks they didn't really have any choice but to add the backplate and use thumbscrews.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #655 of 1815 Old 05-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently using Everest to check the temps. The temps are read directly from the sensors, so I doubt they are off. I'll probably try Intels TAT to check too but I'm sure those temps are accurate.

In the mean time, I'll unmount the heatsink and add more AS5... although it goes against the idea that we're supposed to only use about a grains worth...

pgatour:
Btw, is your motherboard lying vertically or horizontally? I think what may possibly explain the reason for the discrepency in temperature of the cores is because I have my motherboard vertical, so the weight of the heatsink may be 'pulling' it off the CPU a little. Going to test it out by pushing down on the upper portion of the CPU, see if the temp goes down or not.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #656 of 1815 Old 05-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

Currently using Everest to check the temps. The temps are read directly from the sensors, so I doubt they are off. I'll probably try Intels TAT to check too but I'm sure those temps are accurate.

In the mean time, I'll unmount the heatsink and add more AS5... although it goes against the idea that we're supposed to only use about a grains worth...

pgatour:
Btw, is your motherboard lying vertically or horizontally? I think what may possibly explain the reason for the discrepency in temperature of the cores is because I have my motherboard vertical, so the weight of the heatsink may be 'pulling' it off the CPU a little. Going to test it out by pushing down on the upper portion of the CPU, see if the temp goes down or not.

I'm pretty sure Speedfan and Coretemp read straight from the sensors as well. I don't doubt the validity of Everest but just double checking with another program would be an easy way to be sure the temp readings are not off.

Yea, I'm using an Antec silver compound right now and it says the same thing as AS5. The first time I tried the "grain" theory, I got thermal shutdown quite quickly. I just make a nice thin layer across the top of the processor leaving a little room at the edges for expansion. That seems to work much better than a little grain amount.

My case is upright so the mobo sits vertically.

I assume you have the thumbscrews cinched down nice and tight?

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #657 of 1815 Old 05-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgatour View Post

I'm pretty sure Speedfan and Coretemp read straight from the sensors as well. I don't doubt the validity of Everest but just double checking with another program would be an easy way to be sure the temp readings are not off.

Yea, I'm using an Antec silver compound right now and it says the same thing as AS5. The first time I tried the "grain" theory, I got thermal shutdown quite quickly. I just make a nice thin layer across the top of the processor leaving a little room at the edges for expansion. That seems to work much better than a little grain amount.

My case is upright so the mobo sits vertically.

I assume you have the thumbscrews cinched down nice and tight?

Taking apart my quad right now to add more AS5. And yes, I do have the thumbscrews cinched down nice and tight.

Before taking it apart, pushing on the upper portion of the heatsink, when the motherboard is vertical seems to drop the CPU temp 1-2C, so I'm guessing the heatsink could be a tighter fit.

I'm really thinking of ordering the old style mount from the Ultra-120 and see if I can get it mounted on. Hmmmmmm..... its only 7 bucks and shipping... 11 bucks total.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #658 of 1815 Old 05-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

Taking apart my quad right now to add more AS5. And yes, I do have the thumbscrews cinched down nice and tight.

Before taking it apart, pushing on the upper portion of the heatsink, when the motherboard is vertical seems to drop the CPU temp 1-2C, so I'm guessing the heatsink could be a tighter fit.

I'm really thinking of ordering the old style mount from the Ultra-120 and see if I can get it mounted on. Hmmmmmm..... its only 7 bucks and shipping... 11 bucks total.

Did you lay the case down to get the motherboard horizontal and see if that effected the temps? That might be a good test but if you are already taking it apart, I guess it is to late for that

So how much AS5 are you going to go with this time?

I know the stuff will spread under heat, but just a grain amount has to spread out a whole lot to get good coverage.

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
post #659 of 1815 Old 05-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Member
 
Lyshen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunately I didn't do the laying the motherboard horizontal thing...

AS5, this time I put a little over 2 grain worth, about 1 and half on the cpu, spread it out some with a business card and then about half onto the heatsink which I mushed out so its spread out into the grooves.

We'll see how it goes soon enough.

edit:
Hmm probably be a good idea if I were to sand down the heatsink base until its flat and shiny.

PSN: Lyshen

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
Lyshen is offline  
post #660 of 1815 Old 05-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
pgatour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshen View Post

Unfortunately I didn't do the lying the motherboard horizontal thing...

AS5, this time I put a little over 2 grain worth, about 1 and half on the cpu, spread it out some with a business card and then about half onto the heatsink which I mushed out so its spread out too.

We'll see how it goes soon enough.

Sounds good. Report back and give us some temp readings. I'll go clean up the kitchen while I anxiously await your results...LOL

How bad is the bottom of the heatsink?

______________________

Join AVS Forum's Folding@Home Team, #55280
pgatour is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off