AVSForum Folding@Home (Group 55280): Help cure cancer when you're not watching BluRay - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindizzle View Post

Since the PS3's 1.6 update added Folding@Home, I have created an AVS Forum folding team. I invite you to join this noble cause to understand the folding of proteins which can lead to advances towards the cure to cancer, Alzheimer's, and other diseases.

Check if your AVS username is available here.
And put in 55280 in your team number setting.

Folding@Home FAQ
Folding@Home PS3 FAQ
Team AVS Stats
EOC AVS Team Stats

Thanks!

Note: Folding@Home will run the PS3 at 100% so be sure your PS3 is well ventilated!

check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=823424

Since I know a lot of people in here don't venture out to the games section, I thought I'd give a heads up. We could always use a little more help, it's something to be proud of, and it's a great way to stress test your PS3 while it's still under warranty.

In just over a week AVS Team has gone from dead last to within the first 1000 teams out of many thousands, all due to the power of the cell processors in the PS3. With your help we're hoping we can break the 500 barrier within a few weeks!

If you are unwilling to use your PS3, please also look into running the PC, Mac and ATI GFX clients that run only when your computer has free processor time. They can easily be configured to help Team AVS just like the PS3.

This project runs in much the same way SETI@Home does, and with these other clients, doesn't cause a machine to be dedicated.

As for the PS3 I've been running it nonstop for 8 days and have been very surprised at just how well this unit dissipates heat.

Anyways please take a look and join if you're interested!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Cool.. I don't leave my PS3 on all the time, but I've joined, and downloaded folding@home to my PC as well.
post #3 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell View Post

Cool.. I don't leave my PS3 on all the time, but I've joined, and downloaded folding@home to my PC as well.

Just as a note: PS3 folding units expire after 24-48 hours depending on the individual unit.

These units require 4-8 hours for completion, otherwise they are discard and a new unit downloaded, so plan your time if you want units to complete.
post #4 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

welcome to the team greg. and thanks for the help.
Also there is alot of good info on the sites. like this for example.

Cheap, safe drug kills most cancers

It sounds almost too good to be true: a cheap and simple drug that kills almost all cancers by switching off their immortality. The drug, dichloroacetate (DCA), has already been used for years to treat rare metabolic disorders and so is known to be relatively safe.

It also has no patent, meaning it could be manufactured for a fraction of the cost of newly developed drugs.

Evangelos Michelakis of the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, and his colleagues tested DCA on human cells cultured outside the body and found that it killed lung, breast and brain cancer cells, but not healthy cells. Tumours in rats deliberately infected with human cancer also shrank drastically when they were fed DCA-laced water for several weeks.
post #5 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Well not saying this is a bad thing and I do agree with it because I do it at home. What I don't understand is why you would run the risk of leaving your ps3 on all the time to do this? I don't own one but I do own a 360 and it gets hot. With the heat issues it has and knowing the ps3 also gets hot I would not risk the HUGE investment and rather do it on the computer.
post #6 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customgamer1 View Post

Well not saying this is a bad thing and I do agree with it because I do it at home. What I don't understand is why you would run the risk of leaving your ps3 on all the time to do this? I don't own one but I do own a 360 and it gets hot. With the heat issues it has and knowing the ps3 also gets hot I would not risk the HUGE investment and rather do it on the computer.

It's covered by a 1 year comprehensive warranty that restarts if you send out a defective unit and get a new one back, so why not stress test it to make sure your unit isn't defective?

The ps3 will run warm, but it doesn't run as hot as when running games or even movies from my observations. You also don't have to run Folding@Home every day, all the time. Even one night a week would be very beneficial to the product.

Also note that the 360 has huge issues with overheating and bricking that the PS3's haven't shown yet. If yours does, then it most likely is defective and you'd want to send it back anyways.

I'm really hoping the Elite deals with some of the heat issues and that MS might work with the F@H team to also implement a 360 option.

If you're still weary, then please consider the alternative pc clients. The aim of the group is to get as many AVS's to contribute as much processer time as they can and are willing to afford for a good cause.

post #7 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had my PS3 folding for the past week without ever turning it off. My cellphone gets hotter after an hour conversation than my PS3 currently is. Needless to say, it is a well built machine. I have also watched a couple BD movies as well played games, and no problems or hicups during this time.

I have it vertical for the record.
post #8 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
cure cancer and kill the ozone all in the same time woot! catch 22 i think with the ps3 since it consumes 190 watts at idle

http://www.entregeeks.net/en/2007/02...playstation-3/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

cure cancer and kill the ozone all in the same time woot! catch 22 i think with the ps3 since it consumes 190 watts at idle

http://www.entregeeks.net/en/2007/02...playstation-3/

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=825256

check IGN for their breakdown by State Ave Kwh too, but I think they're a little high.

All in all it looks like a better computations per Kwh then PC
post #10 of 51 Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 PM

Joined the team on my PC and PS3.
post #11 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

and help kill the environment wasting energy
post #12 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 12:48 AM

FOLD PEOPLE, Save life!
While you are not using your PS3 , donate its power to cure , dont waste it!

How to fold, and other questions are answered here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-PS3.html

Blu-ray is the way!
post #13 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

I'm in. I joined Team AVS last night.

How do you go low? A SVS PB10-isd and a Cerwin Vega LW-15, that's how I go
Sony 60GB PS3 for Blu-ray Movies
post #14 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally posted by customgamer1

Unlike the 360, the PS3 does NOT over heat when left on. Mine has been folding straight for a week and it is no hotter or louder than when I watch a BD movie.

PSN: UndeadREDD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Well My PS3 has already completed a unit but my PC will take until Sunday. Although to be fair I throttled the PC client to 50% CPU because otherwise the fans just drive me crazy.
post #16 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschmit2 View Post

and help kill the environment wasting energy

I'm of mixed emotions on this one.

Potentially help find cures, etc.

Definitely use up resources (energy).

I'm not sure the former makes the latter worthwhile.

Blu won :(
No big deal, I don't buy movies anymore anyway. Time to move on.
post #17 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

Unlike the 360, the PS3 does NOT over heat when left on. Mine has been folding straight for a week and it is no hotter or louder than when I watch a BD movie.

mine has been folding for a week now as well and it has been rock solid... runs fairly cool and is not noisy at all.
post #18 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronken View Post

well if we didnt do it then they would be doing it on supercomputers which would be consuming a lot more energy and are not as effecient. they will get the data somewhere somehow and since my computer is on it might as well be doing some good.

This is NOT a flame.

if your worried about wasting energy then here are a few suggestions.

Replace your ac unit to at least a seer 13. Replace your hot water tank with an instant water heater. Change all your lightbulbs in your house to mini flourescent low voltage. Replace your tv with a book. Do not use a dryer to dry your cloths get a clothsline.
post #19 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I am signed up...I dont leave it on 24/7, but if I am wathcing TV for the night, I will flip on the PS3 and let the medical world have at my processing power for 3-4 hours...

And, being a previous 360 owner, the PS3 is slient and downright runs pretty cool compared to that little noisy furnace in the 360.
post #20 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronken View Post

Like your giant HDTV, surround sound system, PS3 Bluray player (or xbox 360) and HTPC isn't eating up alot of electricity already? What about the carbon footprint these things have when produced in China, a country with very lax enviormental laws?

Come on, the amount used on this is much less then say running your refrigerator all month. Do you use a AC in the summer?

Anyways, support initatives by your congressman to get green renewable energy pushes in congress so that it can be offset, otherwise STFU.

The gains here could easily be offset by, say, not using AC in the summer and you'd then still use much less power on the PS3 then using AC alone for 4-8 months (and you'd be saving the world)

post #21 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 AM

We should consider stickying this post so people know there is an AVS Team.
post #22 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadbury8 View Post

This is NOT a flame.

Thanks.

Quote:

if your worried about wasting energy then here are a few suggestions.

Replace your ac unit to at least a seer 13. Replace your hot water tank with an instant water heater. Change all your lightbulbs in your house to mini flourescent low voltage. Replace your tv with a book. Do not use a dryer to dry your cloths get a clothsline.

Yes, good suggestions. I am already doing some of those.

The problem lies with people that will be adding the load of the PS3 (or PCs used for folding) to their existing energy draw. If those users did some of your suggestions to offset the addition of the folding energy consumption, then yes, I could agree that using your device for folding might be worthwhile.

Blu won :(
No big deal, I don't buy movies anymore anyway. Time to move on.
post #23 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 PM

Liked: 18
I had already join the DL.TV team. Kudos to you guys for doing the same.
post #24 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm no expert, but isn't the incremental cost (to the environment) of folding negligible? Doesn't the power plants support xx mwatts & whatever isn't used is wasted?

I think that if some of the people here are so concerned over the environment, their time & energy might be better spent on their own conservation or donations to environmental groups. Arguing with people trying to help out researchers by using ~2light bulbs of energy is kind of an uphill battle.

As far as using the pc for folding instead, wont that be a far greater waste of energy? Units take 8 hours to fold on the ps3 can take up to a week to fold on a pc.

Sony pay me 10 beeeelion dollars to plant blu-ray seeeeds.
post #25 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex View Post

I had already join the DL.TV team. Kudos to you guys for doing the same.

booo booo hisss hsss boo booo hiss hiss ( are ya feeling like jeff gordon yet? )

just pulling your leg. lol
post #26 of 51 Old 03-30-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFreek View Post

I am signed up...I dont leave it on 24/7, but if I am wathcing TV for the night, I will flip on the PS3 and let the medical world have at my processing power for 3-4 hours...

And, being a previous 360 owner, the PS3 is slient and downright runs pretty cool compared to that little noisy furnace in the 360.

every point and fold counts. thanks for joining up and lending a hand.

As a matter of fact:

Thanks to all the new members of the team. It is very kind of you all to put forth the effort.
post #27 of 51 Old 03-31-2007, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
For me, my PS3 is sitting in the open and has been folding continuously for almost a week now. No issues.

Still confused? Read "
" thread!
-Dan

post #28 of 51 Old 03-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Like your giant HDTV, surround sound system, PS3 Bluray player (or xbox 360) and HTPC isn't eating up alot of electricity already? What about the carbon footprint these things have when produced in China, a country with very lax enviormental laws?

Come on, the amount used on this is much less then say running your refrigerator all month. Do you use a AC in the summer?

Anyways, support initatives by your congressman to get green renewable energy pushes in congress so that it can be offset, otherwise STFU.

The gains here could easily be offset by, say, not using AC in the summer and you'd then still use much less power on the PS3 then using AC alone for 4-8 months (and you'd be saving the world)

No A/C in the summer to allow for folding? Are you mad?

And the equipment listed above, sans the refridgerator, are all run at times. Not all the time. There's a difference between running a receiver that does the majority of its power draw at power on versus a PS3 that is already known as the most power hungry console of all time on all the time, 24/7, not exactly sitting there idling when it's running massive Folding calculations.

Leaving your PS3 on all the time, 24/7, is a recipe for broken PS3's. Sony didn't build it to stay on all the time. Otherwise, they wouldn't have the power button on the front put you into a "standby" that is almost completely shut down. They'd have had it standby in the more traditional sense.

If you want to fold, built a very low power PC with low power CPU and hard drives that can stop spinning with no fans to do your folding and leave the PS3 to those *moments* when you need to game or watch a BD.

Because otherwise, you're going to see a high power bill at the end of the month and know you contributed to the wasting of precious energy the rest of the world wishes they had.

The most amusing part of what was said is that if you take away the A/C, your PS3 will overheat in the summer. Ha!

EDIT:

And someone should keep a list of all that fold, so that when they complain, "MY PS3 BROKE! PS3'S SUCK!", we can just point at them and say, "Folder."
post #29 of 51 Old 03-31-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

Sony didn't build it to stay on all the time.

No, as a matter of fact, they did. Sony is the one who installed the folding program in the 1.6 update, and Sony is the one responsible for the warranty claims. They're obviously not worried. There is more wear and tear from starting/stopping the system than from leaving it on -- I leave mine on all the time, never had a problem. Ditto with a decade worth of PCs.

If you don't want to spend a few bucks a month in electricity on this, that's one thing; opposing the use of electricity for cancer/alzheimer's research is just sad.

Join the
post #30 of 51 Old 03-31-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post

No, as a matter of fact, they did. Sony is the one who installed the folding program in the 1.6 update, and Sony is the one responsible for the warranty claims. They're obviously not worried. There is more wear and tear from starting/stopping the system than from leaving it on -- I leave mine on all the time, never had a problem. Ditto with a decade worth of PCs.

If you don't want to spend a few bucks a month in electricity on this, that's one thing; opposing the use of electricity for cancer/alzheimer's research is just sad.

lol, good comment and then I noticed your user name, priceless!
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page