PS3 and BOSE 321 Optical OUT issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-01-2007, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I'm having a major turmoil trying to get the sound correctly coming out of my BOSE 321 audio system. I have connected an optical cable from the PS3 to the Bose system, changed settings on console to Optical but no sound is coming out. The only way I can get sound is to connect the cable the ps3 came with and select component...but I'm not beneifting from the 5.1 etc I should. I've checked the cable and it looks okay...has a red light and appears in good nick.

I'm not too sure if there are settings I need to change on the Bose system to recognise the Optical??

Any advice would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-01-2007, 08:13 AM

maybe on the receiver your not in the proper setting to use the optical...

like aux, audio 1, etc...
post #3 of 25 Old 04-01-2007, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob423 View Post

maybe on the receiver your not in the proper setting to use the optical...

like aux, audio 1, etc...

I've tried them all. I'm assuming I should only have the optical out cable connected plus my HDMI cable only? Is AUX normally the default for opictal?
post #4 of 25 Old 04-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeper30 View Post

I've tried them all. I'm assuming I should only have the optical out cable connected plus my HDMI cable only? Is AUX normally the default for opictal?

Hey bud...I have the PS3 and the Bose 321...heres your problem. You have to have a cable connected to the video out of the Bose to the TV. I have miy Bose set to Video 1 on the TV. Anyway... Fire up the Bose to your selected video input and hit the settings button. You will see options across the top for video, audio, etc. Go to the audio menu and you will see a option for "set Optical out" and you can choose what input(Aux, TV, Cab/Sat, etc.) you want for Optical.

Word of warning though.... The 321 seems to have trouble with Optical for some reason because I always get audio sync issues with the Optical cable.

Waiting on a winner....or the SamsungUP5000
post #5 of 25 Old 04-01-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-05 View Post

Hey bud...I have the PS3 and the Bose 321...heres your problem. You have to have a cable connected to the video out of the Bose to the TV. I have miy Bose set to Video 1 on the TV. Anyway... Fire up the Bose to your selected video input and hit the settings button. You will see options across the top for video, audio, etc. Go to the audio menu and you will see a option for "set Optical out" and you can choose what input(Aux, TV, Cab/Sat, etc.) you want for Optical.

Word of warning though.... The 321 seems to have trouble with Optical for some reason because I always get audio sync issues with the Optical cable.

Thanks - so for the video out to the Telly - what cable should I use? I currently use video 1 for my telly too. So will the sound come out of the video1 output?

Sorry I'm confused.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You are running video thru the bose?

You can't have 2 components going thru 1 input. Select a input that is not being used by anything on the bose...plug the optical cable from the ps3 into the bose... then assign the optical cable coming from the ps3 to the input you have the ps3 plugged into the bose. It's confusing but you will get it..Look at your bose owners manual...it tells you how assign inputs. I helped someone with this exact same issue and he got it working.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #7 of 25 Old 04-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks - so for the video out to the Telly - what cable should I use? I currently use video 1 for my telly too. So will the sound come out of the video1 output?

Sorry I'm confused.

There should be a couple of options for video out...component, s video, composite...I just have a single composite(yellow wire) going from the bose to my unused Video 1 composite input on the TV just so I can configure my Bose system.

1. plug a composite (yellow) wire or s video...whatever, to the video out on the bose to an unused video in on the TV.

2. Turn the bose system on and set the TV to the appropriate input. It should be a Blue screen when both are on and on the correct input.

3. Press the "Settings" botton on your Bose remote and go to Audio options. You will see a option for "Select Optical Source." You can set it for TV, Aux, Cable/Sat, etc.

post #8 of 25 Old 04-01-2007, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-05 View Post

There should be a couple of options for video out...component, s video, composite...I just have a single composite(yellow wire) going from the bose to my unused Video 1 composite input on the TV just so I can configure my Bose system.

1. plug a composite (yellow) wire or s video...whatever, to the video out on the bose to an unused video in on the TV.

2. Turn the bose system on and set the TV to the appropriate input. It should be a Blue screen when both are on and on the correct input.

3. Press the "Settings" botton on your Bose remote and go to Audio options. You will see a option for "Select Optical Source." You can set it for TV, Aux, Cable/Sat, etc.

I think it's just assigning the output that I have the problem with...I will try the above!
post #9 of 25 Old 04-01-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think it's just assigning the output that I have the problem with...I will try the above!

I'm not having much luck here. I did the yellow cable connection malarky and got the settings menu but no choice as yet to change the optical so I can assign it?!
post #10 of 25 Old 04-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:

I'm not having much luck here. I did the yellow cable connection malarky and got the settings menu but no choice as yet to change the optical so I can assign it?!

The best I can do for you now is when I got my Bose 321 the Optical default setting was for the "TV" input.

Hook the optical up, turn on the PS3 and TV and change the Bose 321 to "TV" instead of "AUX." Cross your fingers and hope you get sound. Best of luck to ya.

post #11 of 25 Old 04-02-2007, 06:56 AM

I am having a very similar problem.

I have HDMI cable going from PS3 to Bravia X Series.... and the optical cable going out from PS3 to AVR (Denon).

I CANNOT get sound through optical. I have tried various optical ports in the AVR and ensured I have the correct settings for each.

I DONT want to use HDMI from PS3 to AVR as I want to use different inputs on my TV for movies and gaming (the AVR only has 1 HDMI out)...

Any suggestions?
post #12 of 25 Old 04-02-2007, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Did you set the ps3 up to output sound thru optical?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #13 of 25 Old 04-02-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
From my other thread...Far as I know ps3 will ONLY output PCM 2.0 thru the optical connection. You wont be getting your full 5.1 without a reciever that can accept the HDMI input.

Sorry to hear you're having problems but from what I've read you're not getting any benefit using the optical as far as sound quality goes so if all else fails you might as well just use the cords that came with the ps3.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #14 of 25 Old 04-02-2007, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

From my other thread...Far as I know ps3 will ONLY output PCM 2.0 thru the optical connection. You wont be getting your full 5.1 without a reciever that can accept the HDMI input.

That ain't right.
post #15 of 25 Old 04-02-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Optical does output 5.1. I have my PS3 hooked up with HDMI direct to my projector, and optical to my reciever. I get discrete surround audio from my surround speakers when watching movies.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-05-2007, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

I bought a new optical out cable and it all works fine now!
post #17 of 25 Old 04-05-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

Optical does output 5.1. I have my PS3 hooked up with HDMI direct to my projector, and optical to my reciever. I get discrete surround audio from my surround speakers when watching movies.

Optical doesn't do PCM 5.1, only compressed DD 5.1.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-05-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croops View Post

I am having a very similar problem.

I have HDMI cable going from PS3 to Bravia X Series.... and the optical cable going out from PS3 to AVR (Denon).

I CANNOT get sound through optical. I have tried various optical ports in the AVR and ensured I have the correct settings for each.

I DONT want to use HDMI from PS3 to AVR as I want to use different inputs on my TV for movies and gaming (the AVR only has 1 HDMI out)...

Any suggestions?

Well leepers seems to have fixed his problem by getting a new optical cable. May be that's the problem with your setup. See if you can switch a few optical cables around.

Realistically though, you get a better home theater experience with the PS3 hooked up to your receiver via HDMI.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #19 of 25 Old 10-29-2011, 01:22 AM

i'm having the same problem. My ps3 is connected with optical cable to the bose system. I have a red-white cable running from tv audio in ( on the bose system ) to oudio out on my tv. My ps3 is set to optical. But i can't get sound. I dont know anything about technology, sorry for that, but what do you mean with video 1?
post #20 of 25 Old 10-29-2011, 01:24 AM

My ps3 is connected to bose mediacenter with optical cable and i have a red-white cable in bose center ( tv in ) to my tv (out). I dont know anything about technology. My ps3 is set to optical. What can I do ?
post #21 of 25 Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 AM

If I press settings, i can only set sleep timer... --'
post #22 of 25 Old 10-29-2011, 01:26 AM

how can you connect your ps3 with hdmi to mediacenter if your ps3 is already connected to tv with hdmi?
post #23 of 25 Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Buy a New AVR
post #24 of 25 Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Liked: 93
And the award for most useless post on AVS today goes to...

*drumroll*

Rob423!

Congratulations!

You seriously just dug up a 5 year old thread that hasn't been accessed in a year simply to troll?
post #25 of 25 Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 PM

Nope, Didn't realize the date... was searching for something on a PS3 and this showed up and I browsed it...
Reply PlayStation Area