Bitstream vs. Linear PCM - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 666 Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
could someone tell me why when playing a dts-hd ma track it shows between 3 and 5 mb/ps and the specs claim it to be up to 24mb/ps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 666 Old 06-26-2008, 08:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trae* View Post

could someone tell me why when playing a dts-hd ma track it shows between 3 and 5 mb/ps and the specs claim it to be up to 24mb/ps?

Check out Pio's post above yours. Just because there is the capability in the specs for it doesn't mean that there is any media that actually has/is using that just yet.
post #273 of 666 Old 06-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Hi again,

I don't think that I ever got a straight answer on menu sounds questions that I posted a while ago.

Also, the strangest thing is those menu sounds. They are on ( i.e. menus make sounds when navigating between different options: Scene selection, play etc...) when playing via PCM but not on (not sounds at all) when navigating when using Bitstream option. Some of you suggested that you can turn these menu sounds on or off via disc menu selection. Well, we looked and looked and no! There is no option to turn them on anywhere. We used "The day after tomorrow" disc. The funny thing is that the same behaviour with the menu sounds as I described above happened with both BD players: Sony BDP-S1 BD player and Samsung 1400. Can someone explain that one to me - I am really at loss here. What gives and where do these menu sounds really come from

Thanks,
Nikonowski
post #274 of 666 Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonowski View Post

Hi again,

I don't think that I ever got a straight answer on menu sounds questions that I posted a while ago.

Also, the strangest thing is those menu sounds. They are on ( i.e. menus make sounds when navigating between different options: Scene selection, play etc...) when playing via PCM but not on (not sounds at all) when navigating when using Bitstream option. Some of you suggested that you can turn these menu sounds on or off via disc menu selection. Well, we looked and looked and no! There is no option to turn them on anywhere. We used "The day after tomorrow" disc. The funny thing is that the same behaviour with the menu sounds as I described above happened with both BD players: Sony BDP-S1 BD player and Samsung 1400. Can someone explain that one to me - I am really at loss here. What gives and where do these menu sounds really ome from

Thanks,
Nikonowski

Yes you're correct, the menu sounds only play when my PS3 is set to PCM too,
and you're right, on "The Day After Tomorrow", there is no option for menu button sounds to "on" or "off." I don't think that's an available option on any of the Fox titles I own. I know some Lionsgate releases have the option to turn menu sound effects on and off, and some even have a slider bar to increase the effects level, Most recently Rambo and 3:10 to Yuma. ...and no, they wont play at all when using bitstream on my PS3.

I'm not sure if Warner is incorporating the menu button effects on/off button any of their new Bluray releases yet, but they were doing it quite early on with HD DVD's. I'm pretty sure my Matrix Trilogy collectors set has it, as does Batman Begins. (My Toshiba A2 is also set to output audio via PCM over HDMI)

The one thing I have noticed is that my PS3 display always indicates Dolby Digital is playing during the menu selection screen, even if there's no Dolby track option on the disc. I thought that was kind of odd. Sure the menu music is just a background loop that repeats itself while you go through your menu selections, but why wouldnt it just be dts core or pcm? ...and yes if I set the PS3 to "Bitstream", there are no menu button noises/sound effects or background music at all. Sorry, I dont know why...but since I never use bitstream on the PS3, I guess it doesn't matter to me.

BTW, I finally played my Bluray of "The Day After Tomorrow",
and toggled back and forth from the core dts to DTS-HD MA by changing from bitstream to PCM. And you were partially correct in your assessment, I too found the sound quality to be Very close. I still give a slight edge to the HD-MA track, but it's nowhere near as much a difference in quality as it is going from plain old DD to TrueHD or PCM. I accredit that to the superior sound quality of the core dts 1.5Mbps track though, and not so much that the DTS-HD MA is of lesser quality than expected.

Before HD media came along,
I always swore dts sounded much better than basic dolby digital on SD DVD.

I tried a couple more DTS-HD MA movies and they really are close,
although the discrete 7.1 movies like the Orphanage sounded better to my ears in DTS-HD MA, than core DTS, even if I expanded the 5.1 core using PLIIx to get all 7.1 speakers to play.

DTS-HD MA/TrueHD/PCM > DTS Core > Dolby Digital

*Disclaimer,
Although I have a 7.1 setup with additional Front Presence speakers,
My room is far from ideal and not optimal for accurate audio playback.
Once I get my toys out of my crowded apartment and into my dedicated theater in my new home, I'll do another comparison.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #275 of 666 Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Yes you're correct, the menu sounds only play when my PS3 is set to PCM too,
and you're right, on "The Day After Tomorrow", there is no option for menu button sounds to "on" or "off." I don't think that's an available option on any of the Fox titles I own. I know some Lionsgate releases have the option to turn menu sound effects on and off, and some even have a slider bar to increase the effects level, Most recently Rambo and 3:10 to Yuma. ...and no, they wont play at all when using bitstream on my PS3.

I'm not sure if Warner is incorporating the menu button effects on/off button any of their new Bluray releases yet, but they were doing it quite early on with HD DVD's. I'm pretty sure my Matrix Trilogy collectors set has it, as does Batman Begins. (My Toshiba A2 is also set to output audio via PCM over HDMI)

The one thing I have noticed is that my PS3 display always indicates Dolby Digital is playing during the menu selection screen, even if there's no Dolby track option on the disc. I thought that was kind of odd. Sure the menu music is just a background loop that repeats itself while you go through your menu selections, but why wouldnt it just be dts core or pcm? ...and yes if I set the PS3 to "Bitstream", there are no menu button noises/sound effects or background music at all. Sorry, I dont know why...but since I never use bitstream on the PS3, I guess it doesn't matter to me.

BTW, I finally played my Bluray of "The Day After Tomorrow",
and toggled back and forth from the core dts to DTS-HD MA by changing from bitstream to PCM. And you were partially correct in your assessment, I too found the sound quality to be Very close. I still give a slight edge to the HD-MA track, but it's nowhere near as much a difference in quality as it is going from plain old DD to TrueHD or PCM. I accredit that to the superior sound quality of the core dts 1.5Mbps track though, and not so much that the DTS-HD MA is of lesser quality than expected.

Before HD media came along,
I always swore dts sounded much better than basic dolby digital on SD DVD.

I tried a couple more DTS-HD MA movies and they really are close,
although the discrete 7.1 movies like the Orphanage sounded better to my ears in DTS-HD MA, than core DTS, even if I expanded the 5.1 core using PLIIx to get all 7.1 speakers to play.

DTS-HD MA/TrueHD/PCM > DTS Core > Dolby Digital

*Disclaimer,
Although I have a 7.1 setup with additional Front Presence speakers,
My room is far from ideal and not optimal for accurate audio playback.
Once I get my toys out of my crowded apartment and into my dedicated theater in my new home, I'll do another comparison.

PioManiac,

Thanks for your honest feedback, and I am not only saying that because your findings somewhat resemble mine but because you actually took the time and tested it with a few BSs yourself! I really appreciate your efforts! At least I know that I wasn't going crazy Of course there is no question when it comes to 7.1 DTS-HD MA soundtrack: a lot better and PCM can only be converted to 5.1 anyways. However, very little difference with DTS core converted to PCM versus DTS HD MA.

By the way what you do for bass management with your setup ? Here is mine; perhaps you have suggestions how I can improve my settings especially when it comes to Samsung 1400 speakers settings - do I set them up all as LARGE or something else ? I also have Oppo 970HD for playing DVDs, SACDs and DVD-As :

First of all, what kind of setting should I be using on Denon for proper bass management. Should I direct all the bass to all the speakers or to sub? I am not sure what's the preferred recommended method as I am a bit new to all this All of my audio connections into the Denon are via HDMI ( BD, SACD, DVD-A, DVD, CD etc...) Can someone let me know what settings would be the most logical for my equipment (of course getting the greatest sound reproduction is my goal)

I have 7.1 surround system that consists of the following speakers:

2 mains are Paradigm Phantom v.2
2 surround left/right are YAMAHA Speakers 2X Model NS-E55
1 Center Surround is 1X NS-C55
2 back surround speakers are Paradigm Cinema 30 v.3
Subwoofer is Yamaha YST-SW160

My Denon setup currently is as follows :

Speaker Config:
Front Speakers:LARGE;
Centre Speaker:LARGE;
Surround Speakers:SMALL
Surround Speakers Back: 2 speakers SMALL
Subwoofer setup: YES and LFE is set to: LFE+Main

Crossover Frequencies are set to ADVANCED and as follows:

Front Speakers:LARGE @ 40Hz
Centre Speaker:SMALL @ 120 Hz
Surround Speakers:SMALL @ 200 Hz
Surround Speakers Back: 2 speakers SMALL @ 150 Hz
LFE @ 80 Hz
Subwoofer setup: YES and LFE is set to: LFE+Main

I really would appreciate any feedback that would improve my sound experience. Also, there are some settings (knobs) on my subwoofer i.e. high cut and volume - how do I set these up ? And how all of this relate to settings on Oppo and Samsung Speaker Setup page ?

This is a bit overwhelming for me so I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance,
Nikonowski
post #276 of 666 Old 07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Nikonowski,

I have a Denon AVR-3806 + 7.1 and can offer you some advice. I used the Mic that came with my unit to calibrate my room and it did a crappy job and set the fronts to Large too like your settings. I bought AVIA and a radio shack audio calibration unit and have a banging set-up now.

I wrote down the distance each speaker was from the Mic calibrated at all 6 seating locations but other than that - I scrapped the audio settings.

First and foremost - since you have a dedicated sub woofer - all of your speakers should be set to Small and Subwoofer should be set to YES and LFE only.

Currently - all of your bass signals are being shared between your L/R and Sub which is greatly reducing your sound quality IMO.

As for the other Hz settings...I would have to defer to the truer Avia DVD audio/Rat Shack testing to determine those crossover frequencies. Obviously mine will not be relevant to your settings but I think you will find you would be much happier with the results if you go in this direction. I don't know if you have audio treatments in your room, but that would also help with audio playback.

Good luck!

Jason

post #277 of 666 Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Nikonowski,
You should have your sub go w/the LFE+Main since it'll give bass to the speakers that can handle it. I'm surprised you set the center to 'small' unless it's similar size/shape to your surrounds. My set up is 7.1 using Denon 3808 and Aperion timbre matched speakers. Though my center speaker is el grande since I watch 99.9% movies that's an important speaker.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #278 of 666 Old 07-04-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkjack View Post

Nikonowski,

I have a Denon AVR-3806 + 7.1 and can offer you some advice. I used the Mic that came with my unit to calibrate my room and it did a crappy job and set the fronts to Large too like your settings. I bought AVIA and a radio shack audio calibration unit and have a banging set-up now.

I wrote down the distance each speaker was from the Mic calibrated at all 6 seating locations but other than that - I scrapped the audio settings.

First and foremost - since you have a dedicated sub woofer - all of your speakers should be set to Small and Subwoofer should be set to YES and LFE only.

Currently - all of your bass signals are being shared between your L/R and Sub which is greatly reducing your sound quality IMO.

As for the other Hz settings...I would have to defer to the truer Avia DVD audio/Rat Shack testing to determine those crossover frequencies. Obviously mine will not be relevant to your settings but I think you will find you would be much happier with the results if you go in this direction. I don't know if you have audio treatments in your room, but that would also help with audio playback.

Good luck!

Jason

Hi Jason,

I have tried recommendations I got from Dave in the Audyssey forums and I will see over the weekend how this will sound. I will try movies (DB and DVD) and as well CDs , SACDs and DVD -As. I will report my findings next week.

You will be happy to know that I have incorporated your suggestions (which were in tune with Dave's ) and now all of my speakers are be set to Small and Subwoofer is set to YES and LFE only so I don't get the "double bass" effect

Let me know what you think about crossover freq. for all my speakers I bet you did not excpect that

For everybody benefit these are my settings right no (after the change):
I have 7.1 surround system that consists of the following speakers:

2 mains are Paradigm Phantom v.2
2 surround left/right are YAMAHA Speakers 2X Model NS-E55
1 Center Surround is 1X NS-C55
2 back surround speakers are Paradigm Cinema 30 v.3
Subwoofer is Yamaha YST-SW160

My Denon 988 setup currently is as follows (this is after running the initial mic calibration in 8 spots in my room):

Speaker Config:

Front Speakers:SMALL
Centre Speaker:SMALL
Surround Speakers:SMALL
Surround Speakers Back: 2 speakers SMALL
Subwoofer setup: YES and LFE is set to: LFE only

Crossover Frequencies for the above are set to ADVANCED and as follows:

Front Speakers:SMALL @ 60Hz
Centre Speaker:SMALL @ 60Hz
Surround Speakers:SMALL @ 60Hz
Surround Speakers Back: 2 speakers SMALL @ 60Hz
Subwoofer speaker (LFE) @ 100 Hz
Subwoofer setup: YES and LFE is set to: LFE only

Note: My subwoofer High-Cut physical knob is turned all the way up @ 140 Hz setting and the volume knob on the sub woofer is at 2 o'clock. By the way how much volume I should be setting on my subwoofer ???

All my DVD players and BD players are hooked up to my my Denon AVR-988 via HDMI and they all have speakers set to LARGE in their respective menus.

What kind of sound experience I should be expecting? Perhaps there is a BD or DVD or music reference that you are familiar with and can suggest for me to test to confirm that I indeed am getting the sound experience that I should. If such reference material exists, I need to know what to look for.

Can anyone comment on how this setups looks to you and if there is anything else I should be concerned about? Perhaps you have concerns or other settings suggestions that you wish to share with me and all of us on this forum ???

Thanks very much to Dave and everybody else contributing! Great work everybody

Ciao,
Nikonowski
post #279 of 666 Old 07-04-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Nikonowski,
You should have your sub go w/the LFE+Main since it'll give bass to the speakers that can handle it. I'm surprised you set the center to 'small' unless it's similar size/shape to your surrounds. My set up is 7.1 using Denon 3808 and Aperion timbre matched speakers. Though my center speaker is el grande since I watch 99.9% movies that's an important speaker.

Hi Wryker,

According to David from Audyssey forum, here are the reasons why I should not go with w/the LFE+Main setting but instead only with LFE. Please remember that David is recommending this setting based on frequency repsonse of my speakers (he must know them )

The reason I set up my Centre as small, is excatly as you had said - it's similar size/shape to my surrounds surrounds

Recommendation from David (Audyssey forums)

"As a general recommendation I would always set all speakers to Small. In your case would also increase the crossover setting for those speakers to 60 Hz and the crossover for the sub to 120 Hz, and leave everything else alone.

Reasons:

By running some speakers as Large plus the sub set to LFE+Main, both the large speakers and the sub get the signal below the crossover frequency. That's called "double bass" and while it sounds a little more impressive it is also not accurate. Setting the speakers to Small means the sub handles the bass frequencies and the actual amount of bass produced will be correct. It may sound a little light in weight initially but give it a few days for your ears to adjust and you may well find you prefer the cleaner and more accurate balance. If not you can always change it back.

Letting the sub alone handle the bass frequencies tends to result in more acccurate bass because Audyssey uses more filter points for the sub than it would for the bass region of your speakers so the bass gets more attention from Audyssey when it is left to the sub.

Increasing the crossover frequency slightly for the large speakers hands a little more bass to the sub for better accuracy as above, but also takes a little more load off the amp stages in the receiver which gives them an easier go of things and may well help sonically as a result.

The sub crossover only applies to the content of the disc's LFE channel and that channel can extend as high as 120 Hz. Raising the sub crossover to that frequency lets the sub handle the LFE channel as it is intended to do and doesn't affect the other speakers in any way.

So that's my recommendations. Changing the sub crossover to 120 Hz should really be automatic. If you don't like the sound with your mains set to Small you can always change them back to large but experiment a bit with 40 Hz and 60 Hz crossovers first and give yourself a few days to adjust to the changes in tonal balance before making any decisions on whether you want to swap back to the Large setting. In fact, after a few days swap back anyway and how you feel about the sound may well surprise you"
post #280 of 666 Old 07-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Back to the PS3, if you guys don't mind, a quick question:

After reading this thread, I am gathering that the way to achieve the best sound out of my setup (Marantz 7002, PS3), is to set the PS3 to send LPCM for DTS-MA and Dolby True HD soundtracks, but Bitstream everything else? The AVR is capable of decoding DTS-MA and True HD, but from what I understand the PS3 is incapable of passing these in a bitstream?

Thanks!
post #281 of 666 Old 07-14-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernar View Post

After reading this thread, I am gathering that the way to achieve the best sound out of my setup (Marantz 7002, PS3), is to set the PS3 to send LPCM for DTS-MA and Dolby True HD soundtracks, but Bitstream everything else? The AVR is capable of decoding DTS-MA and True HD, but from what I understand the PS3 is incapable of passing these in a bitstream?

Thanks!

If your receiver handles HDMI sound, just set the PS3 for PCM, period. It doesn't matter where it's decoded.
post #282 of 666 Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Thanks!

For Blu Ray discs set to PCM. For DVD's set it to Bitstream.
post #283 of 666 Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

For Blu Ray discs set to PCM. For DVD's set it to Bitstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

If your receiver handles HDMI sound, just set the PS3 for PCM, period. It doesn't matter where it's decoded.

Quote:

Thanks!

It is true what they say But if I were you, I would play around with it and see for myself, make sure the audio is coming out of the hdmi connector to the recevier. insert a BD disc and try Bitstream first and watch to see what your recevier says or does, and then set it to PCM and see what your Reciver does. It's cool since you can change it from PCM to Bitstream right from the BD menu (press trianagle and browse the AV Settings menu) it should be all the way at the bottom of the menu.

good luck with that and please post back with a full analisys of how your recevier handled it...

back to you...

Life is not what you think it is!!!
post #284 of 666 Old 07-17-2008, 06:18 AM

DTS HD Master 5.1 Audio ouput: HDMI vs. Analog outs - Time for another debate)

Can someone tell me why some people think (or they are actually convinced) that when they play DTS HD Master audio track via analog outs versus via bitstream via HDMI to capable receivers, they are getting "better" quality sound ?

I just would like to find out if indeed playing it via analog outputs does provide better quality. In my opinion these 2 methods should produce exact same quality audio, shouldn't they ? I often hear that the analog out option provides more dynamic and more clear audio experience. Maybe someone could explain to me what are the differences (if there are any) when it comes to processing the DTS HD Master audio stream via those 2 methods.

I currently have Samsung 1400 BD player bit streaming into Denon AVR-988 recieverm so I am getting the fullest DTS HD Master audio , however, my friend has the same setup as far as BD player but he instead sends the DTS HD Master audio to his Yamaha 1700 as a LPCM via analog outs (PCM option on Samsung 1400) And he swears that his analog out generated audio sounds a lot better then the one I send via HDMI. I personally don't hear any difference but would like to know if that is possible and if so why ?

Just in case, you are wondering. Both of us don't apply any post processing in our receivers and our BD players have LARGE speakers setup in the audio setup menu.

Your opinions, experiences and explanations are much appreciated as always

Thanks,
Nikonowski
post #285 of 666 Old 07-17-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

.and yes if I set the PS3 to "Bitstream", there are no menu button noises/sound effects or background music at all. Sorry, I dont know why...but since I never use bitstream on the PS3, I guess it doesn't matter to me.

This has been explained a million times. You can't have mixing with bitstream. If you don't let the player do the decoding, it can't mix the menu sounds into the stream. This is one of the reasons that bitstream is a less functional option.

The only reason you should be using bitstream is if your receiver does't properly handle PCM.
post #286 of 666 Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 AM

RE: DTS HD Master 5.1 Audio ouput: HDMI vs. Analog outs

As a VoIP engineer who competes against analog lines. To me there is no difference between analog and digital connections, its just transport. The only difference here is the device doing the digital-to-analog conversion; the Demon or Samsung. Both are using the same conversion technology from the same source, so its just transport.

In a telephony world, analog transport is sometimes louder than digital, but that's about it.

Disclaimer: My home audio system is 100% digital. My observations are from a telephone and VoIP point of view.
post #287 of 666 Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonowski View Post

Can someone tell me why some people think (or they are actually convinced) that when they play DTS HD Master audio track via analog outs versus via bitstream via HDMI to capable receivers, they are getting "better" quality sound ?

Because people can't believe that cheap digital components can have the same sound quality as their many thousand dollar analog equipment.

Here's the truth: With great equipment, it should sound the same either way. What you really want is the piece of equipment that has the best Digital-to-Analog converter doing the conversion. Contrary to the beliefs of most of these anolog-philes, that usually isn't the disc player, and is usually the processor/receiver.

I'd use the HDMI option, and PCM. Best of both worlds, and you don't have to worry about analog cables picking up interference.
post #288 of 666 Old 07-21-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline View Post

The question is really about audio output modes on the PS3, not the audio formats on the disc. The audio track on the disc is either Linear PCM or a compressed format (which can be lossy, like DD/DTS, or lossless, like DD TrueHD or DTS-MA).

If you set the PS3 to output bitstream, then it will send exactly what's on the disc without modifying it at all, and it's up to your receiver to decode whatever needs decoding. If the PS3 is set to output PCM, then it will decode compressed formats into Linear PCM and send that LPCM stream to the receiver.

When you've selected a PCM soundtrack from the disc, then the PS3 will be sending PCM to the receiver regardless of the setting. However, as mentioned above, if the PS3 is set to bitstream then it won't be able to make any changes to the audio stream, such as mixing in menu sounds.

At this point, there's really no reason to select bitstream output on the PS3 unless your receiver has problems receiving multichannel PCM via HDMI. The PS3 is perfectly capable of decoding any of the available audio formats except DTS-MA (which is currently neither decoded nor passed as bitstream), and you get the ability for it to mix in additional audio.

The BD format is really designed for the player to do audio decoding anyway; the ability to pass the HD audio formats (DD TrueHD and DTS-MA) as bitstream to the receiver, which requires HDMI 1.3, is something that was demanded by the receiver manufacturers so that they could badge their receivers as "True-HD Capable" and "DTS-MA Capable". In reality, any receiver that can receive multichannel PCM over HDMI is capable of playing these formats, as long as the player does the decoding, which is what they're designed to do.

So if you have a receiver with HDMI input+output there is no reason to use the optical connection of the PS3, if you connect it with HDMI, is that correct?
Or is this debatable nowadays since there are various receivers with the "True-HD Capable" and "DTS-MA Capable" badge?
Still, LPCM over HDMI is lossless/uncompressed while bitstream over optical is not, right?
post #289 of 666 Old 07-21-2008, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
If your receiver can send and receive over HDMI I see no reason to use optical at all.
post #290 of 666 Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 AM

Though I must say, that with my current setup (Yamaha C950 dvd-changer hooked on a Panasonic SA-XR10 receiver), if I listen to 5.1 via the optical ouput, it seems to sound better then via the 6ch analogue out. The optical sound is louder and has more bass (speakers are Tannoy M1, set as large). Other than that, I couldn't hear much difference really.
Is that explainable?
post #291 of 666 Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Your receiver may be reducing your lfe channel over analog cables. I have read about a few receivers that reduce the lfe by 6db. You may want to check the amp/receivers section here for a better explanation.
post #292 of 666 Old 08-21-2008, 04:00 PM

ok, I've done my best to read each and every post, but I'm still a bit confused.

I have the PS3 hooked to my Onkyo 606, through HDMI.

PS3 is set to linear, Onkyo displays Multich...I'm assuming that the PS3 is then doing all of the decoding, the receiver is simply taking in the decoded information and then sending the appropriate signals to each speaker, effectively playing whichever the PS3 is displaying (I played my Xmen bluray and it said it was playing DTS HD). Can I assume I am choosing the best possible audio option? When I switch to bitstream, the display shows DTS and the onkyo shows discrete ES...so again, I'm assuming Linear PCM is the better choice.

When playing games, it still says Multich on the Onkyo, I have no idea how the audio is working though...I'm plaing MLB the show 08.

when all is said and done, I'm now wondering why it was so important to buy a receiver with all the decoders, if my PS3 was going to do all the work, am I the only one left wondering why?
post #293 of 666 Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Sit back and enjoy your movies and games, you are set up correctly. The only time you may want to change to bitstream is if you watch a regular DVD.

As long as you choose the Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA or PCM track on a Blu-ray you will be hearing it in all its lossless glory.

Some games are DD and some are lossless, just leave the PS3 set as PCM for all games and you will be fine.
post #294 of 666 Old 08-22-2008, 04:32 AM

did I really need a receiver with all the decoders?

I'm guessing I could've just went with any reciever that had HDMI inputs...or even last year's Onkyo 605.

and it's so unsatisfying to not see what the coding is on the receiver itself...seeing Multich just doesn't do it for me...haha
post #295 of 666 Old 08-22-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

what Onkyo needs to do is light up the multich logo with a BLUE led...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #296 of 666 Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi99a4 View Post

did I really need a receiver with all the decoders?

I was thinking the same thing, could have saved a little bit going with the 605 or an older model, I'm a newbie and thought I needed them.. I guess it "future proofs", but honestly I'll probably be using the PS3 as a BR player until it's time to get a new receiver.
post #297 of 666 Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBluth View Post

I was thinking the same thing, could have saved a little bit going with the 605 or an older model, I'm a newbie and thought I needed them.. I guess it "future proofs", but honestly I'll probably be using the PS3 as a BR player until it's time to get a new receiver.

It depends:true you don't need a receiver that can decode all the different methods however the PS3 has only one HDMI output and it can't send DT-MA or 7.1 via bitstream. In addition, I want a receiver that can support 1080p passthrough at 24hz for video and you won't find that in the lower receivers. This way it's one connection for 'everything'. Going w/a lower end receiver means outputting the video to one source and audio to another.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #298 of 666 Old 08-23-2008, 03:43 PM

Ok, so i've stoped reading at page 6 or so. So it might be possible that i'm asking a question thats been answered before. If so... i'm sorry, but I got tired of reading the same questions over and over.

Here goes: So I understand that if I want Linear PCM or the True-HD / DTS-HD (that in the end offers the highest audio quality) I need to hook it up with HDMI. HDMI supports a higher amount of bandwith, so I've learned. I've got a Harman Kardon AVR745 which has plenty of HDMI on the back, and supports HDMI 1.1. But do I really want my Reciever to process the video? It only can get worse, right? I'm not sure if it can bypass the video-signal without touching it. This is the reason I've linked my PS3 audio through Toslink, and the HDMI goes directly in my 720/1080i HD-panel.

With this setup... what is the right thing to do?
post #299 of 666 Old 08-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmeister View Post

Ok, so i've stoped reading at page 6 or so. So it might be possible that i'm asking a question thats been answered before. If so... i'm sorry, but I got tired of reading the same questions over and over.

Here goes: So I understand that if I want Linear PCM or the True-HD / DTS-HD (that in the end offers the highest audio quality) I need to hook it up with HDMI. HDMI supports a higher amount of bandwith, so I've learned. I've got a Harman Kardon AVR745 which has plenty of HDMI on the back, and supports HDMI 1.1. But do I really want my Reciever to process the video? It only can get worse, right? I'm not sure if it can bypass the video-signal without touching it. This is the reason I've linked my PS3 audio through Toslink, and the HDMI goes directly in my 720/1080i HD-panel.

With this setup... what is the right thing to do?

I have a Denon HDMI receiver and it just does switching for the video. It doesn't do any processing of the HDMI signal. It does not cause any problems. I do agree with keeping things as simple as possible but in this case the added sound enhancement over weighs any potential complexity that adding the receiver into the mix will cause.

PSN brakel

post #300 of 666 Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the PS3 hooked up to the Onkyo TX-SR706 and the PS3 set to Linear PCM isnt it supposed to play Dolby true HD and dts HD master audio at 96kHz?Or does it depend on the movie.I have batman begins and 300 which play in Dolby true HD but For some reason i only get 48kHz instead of 96kHz.Anyone know why,thanks

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Sony Str Dg810 6 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - Dg810 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page