Bitstream vs. Linear PCM - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 666 Old 02-14-2009, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I figured as much, but hoped things had changed. It's probably not worth keeping the Sony Blu-Ray player just to bitstream the HD audio. I guess I'll have to wait for a future firmware update. As I've never listened to a decoded-in-receiver HD track from a bitstream source, if that way is better, I don't know what I'm missing anyway, if anything. Like you said, PCM should be fine. If there clearly is an audible difference (besides volume, as I've read - something for which my rig can likely compensate) I'd love to hear opinions!

Thanks!
NOLAdoc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 666 Old 02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAdoc View Post

Thanks. I figured as much, but hoped things had changed. It's probably not worth keeping the Sony Blu-Ray player just to bitstream the HD audio. I guess I'll have to wait for a future firmware update. As I've never listened to a decoded-in-receiver HD track from a bitstream source, if that way is better, I don't know what I'm missing anyway, if anything. Like you said, PCM should be fine. If there clearly is an audible difference (besides volume, as I've read - something for which my rig can likely compensate) I'd love to hear opinions!

Thanks!
NOLAdoc

I've had it both ways and for me I don't think there is any possible way to tell the difference in a blind test. I do prefer to have the player be able to bitstream just because every once in a while some quirky thing happens to a particular movie/player combination and its nice to have the option of PCM and bitstream.
post #363 of 666 Old 02-14-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently the PS3's hardware prevents it from being able to bitstream HD audio

I wouldn't bank on a firmware update fixing that.

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #364 of 666 Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

Apparently the PS3's hardware prevents it from being able to bitstream HD audio

I wouldn't bank on a firmware update fixing that.

i like the bitstream, but you're correct. can't bitstream hd with ps3

Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i7 920@2.67ghz, 1.5TB HDDx2, 8GB DDR3@1066mhz, Nvidia Geforce GT220
post #365 of 666 Old 03-28-2009, 03:05 PM

I just recieved my SS2300 yesterday.
I have a problem..
Whenever I am streaming Media content that uses LPCM from PS3 via the ps3 media server on my computer, the surround sound sounds GREAT, except for the fact that the center speaker does not want to output the vocal audio for the track.
So all I hear is the surround effect.
I have tried everything in the reciever and the PS3 and the media center to correct it ..to no avail. could it possibly be the HDCP scrambling the audio?
Any suggestions?

Settings I have already Tried :
PS3 - Audio output : Maual and Auto of all types and Configs.
DRC : On and OFF
SS2300 : Decode : LPCM and AUTO
Priority : 1st, and all Duals

My Setup:
PS3 >> HDMI>> SS2300
SA8300HD STB >>>HDMI >>>SS2300
SS2300 >> HDMI >> Samsung HL67A750 1080p HDTV
Controlled by :
Harmony 880 and IR4PS3 (for full IR control of PS3 and works GREAT)
post #366 of 666 Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monktrump View Post

I just recieved my SS2300 yesterday.
I have a problem..
Whenever I am streaming Media content that uses LPCM from PS3 via the ps3 media server on my computer, the surround sound sounds GREAT, except for the fact that the center speaker does not want to output the vocal audio for the track.
So all I hear is the surround effect.
I have tried everything in the reciever and the PS3 and the media center to correct it ..to no avail. could it possibly be the HDCP scrambling the audio?
Any suggestions?

Settings I have already Tried :
PS3 - Audio output : Maual and Auto of all types and Configs.
DRC : On and OFF
SS2300 : Decode : LPCM and AUTO
Priority : 1st, and all Duals

My Setup:
PS3 >> HDMI>> SS2300
SA8300HD STB >>>HDMI >>>SS2300
SS2300 >> HDMI >> Samsung HL67A750 1080p HDTV
Controlled by :
Harmony 880 and IR4PS3 (for full IR control of PS3 and works GREAT)

I'm not sure if this would help. I had a similar problem when playing back music either from cd's or streamed via PC. I had to check off the 177.4 Hz form the options and set it that all music either mp3 or CD audio comes to the recevier at 88.2 Hz and now I get all my speakers working.
Also, check to see that the ps3 is not sending it LPCM 2 channel to the receiver that could be the issue as well. maybe the reciver is not properly matrixing the sound.

What software you using for streaming the audio to the PS3?

Life is not what you think it is!!!
post #367 of 666 Old 03-29-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertBert View Post

I'm not sure if this would help. I had a similar problem when playing back music either from cd's or streamed via PC. I had to check off the 177.4 Hz form the options and set it that all music either mp3 or CD audio comes to the recevier at 88.2 Hz and now I get all my speakers working.
Also, check to see that the ps3 is not sending it LPCM 2 channel to the receiver that could be the issue as well. maybe the reciver is not properly matrixing the sound.

What software you using for streaming the audio to the PS3?

I am using Java PS3 Server
post #368 of 666 Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Based on this thread, it seems at least half the people in the galaxy own PS3's! I don't. I have a Panasonic BD-30 Bluray player and (just got) an Onkyo 885 Processor which can handle all of the newer formats.

It sounds like my safest bet is to have the BD-30 always output bitstream versus LCPM. True or false?
post #369 of 666 Old 04-08-2009, 06:14 AM

This is the Playstation forum. You'll likely get better advice in the Blu-ray Player forum.

PSN: indyw8
post #370 of 666 Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Based on this thread, it seems at least half the people in the galaxy own PS3's! I don't. I have a Panasonic BD-30 Bluray player and (just got) an Onkyo 885 Processor which can handle all of the newer formats.

It sounds like my safest bet is to have the BD-30 always output bitstream versus LCPM. True or false?

True... If the Onkyo decodes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #371 of 666 Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM

question? (in reference to uncompressed blu ray audio)

Can you EQ or add DSP to the LINEAR PCM track on an A/V receiver? or is that only possible with bitstreaming it?
post #372 of 666 Old 04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdajr View Post

Can you EQ or add DSP to the LINEAR PCM track on an A/V receiver?

depends on the receiver. some can do it; some can't.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #373 of 666 Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

depends on the receiver. some can do it; some can't.

good enough, I'll have to do some research then. I think my sony str- da4400es MIGHT be able to do it.
post #374 of 666 Old 04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

good enough, I'll have to do some research then. I think my sony str- da4400es MIGHT be able to do it.

i know the 3400 does, so i'm sure your higher end 4400 does, as well.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #375 of 666 Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

question? (in reference to uncompressed blu ray audio)

Can you EQ or add DSP to the LINEAR PCM track on an A/V receiver? or is that only possible with bitstreaming it?

As the other poster said, it depends on the receiver. Also note that some receivers have the reverse limitation, they can't do the added processing when bitstreaming some audio formats but they can on PCM. So just make sure you read the fine print on the receiver specs.
post #376 of 666 Old 07-10-2009, 09:52 AM

I have a PS3 and Pioneer VSX-D812K. I'm trying to setup to get the optimal sound out of PS3. Since my receiver doesn't have HDMI input, optical is only option that I can connect PS3 to receiver. My question is what format should I choose between bitstream or PCM. I've been reading this forum and I couldn't find the answer. Last night, I was trying to test between two.
When I set it to PCM, I get much more overall volume but my subwoofer doesn't produce any sound. However, I get very nice bass through subwoofer when I changed to bitstream on PS3. The problem with this is the overall volume is much lower than when I set it to PCM. Anyone can help me on this? Thanks. By the way, I was testing with BD Transformer.
post #377 of 666 Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Since you do not have HDMI and are going with optical turn on bitstream. You will need to turn off any of the additional sound processing like Dynamic Range Control.

The volume difference is something separate and will vary from track to track, simply utilize your volume knob. ;}

As far as I remember if you are doing PCM via optical the PS3 is downmixing the multitrack to 2-channel and that could cause it to seem louder.

BTW, just because a track maybe louder that does not equate to better sound but that is whole different topic.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #378 of 666 Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you have a decent HD receiver,you will find out that bitstreams sound quality is much better than pcm though theoritically,they must be the same,but they've never been the same to me.
post #379 of 666 Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Okay, I'm going to try my best to simplify this.

Think of LPCM as the 6 channel analog outputs on your DVD player, in that the DVD player is doing all the decoding and sending discrete audio channels. Its telling the receiver what to output from the front right, front left, rear right, etc.

Using Bitstream is just sending the encoded audio from the disc directly to the reciever to be decoded there. Ergo, the receiver knows that its getting a DD, DTS, TrueHD, etc stream and decodes it accordingly.

At present, the PS3 is incapable of Bitstreaming HD audio codecs. It can not send them to the receiver in their TrueHD, DTS-MA containers. But, it can decode them and send them via LPCM as 6 or 8 (depending on the movie) discrete channels. So, if you have your PS3 set for LPCM and its hooked up to a receiver capable of playing a PCM stream via HDMI you will be getting HD audio. The TrueHD and DTS-MA lights on the receiver won't come on, but you can verify which audio stream is playing by pressing "select" on the PS3 controller. It will show which audio codec is being used.

The clencher is that the PS3 MUST be connected via HDMI. You can send a 2.0 PCM stream via optical, but you're only getting 2 channels of audio. There's a few reasons for this. 1) Optical doesn't have the bandwidth to transmit HD audio. 2) DRM doesn't allow it. For DRM purposes, digtal HD audio can only be transmitted via HDMI by HDCP compliant devices.

For those of you saying that Bitstream or PCM sound better, check your receiver. Different receivers handle Bitstream vs PCM differently. Some allow additional processing of Bitstream, but will leave a PCM stream alone. For some its the other way around. My Denon 2809ci won't allow me to listen to a PCM stream in night mode. Not a big deal for me since I live alone, but for others that might be a draw back. It would also mean that someone with the same set up as me can't listen to a TrueHD/DTS-MA soundtrack in night mode.

Also, for those of you asking whether you should choose Bitstream or LPCM for DVDs or Blu Rays without HD audio tracks, your best bet would be to consult the receiver section of the forum. As mentioned above, different receivers handle PCM and Bitstream sources differently.

Now, everything said above in regard to player capabilities is about the PS3 as a Blu Ray player. There are Blu Ray players on the market that will Bitstream HD audio codecs. For help on those, please visit the Blu Ray players section of the forum. There's lots of great info there.

I hope that I've explained everything well enough that everybody understands it and is able to use it to get the best possible Blu Ray experience from their PS3.
post #380 of 666 Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmystikcfl View Post

Okay, I'm going to try my best to simplify this.

Think of LPCM as the 6 channel analog outputs on your DVD player, in that the DVD player is doing all the decoding and sending discrete audio channels. Its telling the receiver what to output from the front right, front left, rear right, etc.

Using Bitstream is just sending the encoded audio from the disc directly to the reciever to be decoded there. Ergo, the receiver knows that its getting a DD, DTS, TrueHD, etc stream and decodes it accordingly.

At present, the PS3 is incapable of Bitstreaming HD audio codecs. It can not send them to the receiver in their TrueHD, DTS-MA containers. But, it can decode them and send them via LPCM as 6 or 8 (depending on the movie) discrete channels. So, if you have your PS3 set for LPCM and its hooked up to a receiver capable of playing a PCM stream via HDMI you will be getting HD audio. The TrueHD and DTS-MA lights on the receiver won't come on, but you can verify which audio stream is playing by pressing "select" on the PS3 controller. It will show which audio codec is being used.

The clencher is that the PS3 MUST be connected via HDMI. You can send a 2.0 PCM stream via optical, but you're only getting 2 channels of audio. There's a few reasons for this. 1) Optical doesn't have the bandwidth to transmit HD audio. 2) DRM doesn't allow it. For DRM purposes, digtal HD audio can only be transmitted via HDMI by HDCP compliant devices.

For those of you saying that Bitstream or PCM sound better, check your receiver. Different receivers handle Bitstream vs PCM differently. Some allow additional processing of Bitstream, but will leave a PCM stream alone. For some its the other way around. My Denon 2809ci won't allow me to listen to a PCM stream in night mode. Not a big deal for me since I live alone, but for others that might be a draw back. It would also mean that someone with the same set up as me can't listen to a TrueHD/DTS-MA soundtrack in night mode.

Also, for those of you asking whether you should choose Bitstream or LPCM for DVDs or Blu Rays without HD audio tracks, your best bet would be to consult the receiver section of the forum. As mentioned above, different receivers handle PCM and Bitstream sources differently.

Now, everything said above in regard to player capabilities is about the PS3 as a Blu Ray player. There are Blu Ray players on the market that will Bitstream HD audio codecs. For help on those, please visit the Blu Ray players section of the forum. There's lots of great info there.

I hope that I've explained everything well enough that everybody understands it and is able to use it to get the best possible Blu Ray experience from their PS3.

mmhm... yeah... okay.... but uh... which is better lpcm or bitsream

But seriously this is probably the best possible response to any question ever asked before or will be asked in this thread.

Well done, sir, i think we can lock the thread now

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #381 of 666 Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

UMM... ever heard of down-rezzing the audio?

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #382 of 666 Old 07-23-2009, 01:28 AM

Hi,
When watching a blu ray movie in a PS3, is it best to listen to it in Linear PCM or Bitstream format? I have tested both out, quality wise i really didnt notice a difference but Linear PCM is much louder than dolby. But i was adviced to listen to blu ray movies in Bitstream format, but i have been reading about this in other forums, some recommend to listen to it in Linear PCM format. Any suggestions would be appriciated..
Thanks
post #383 of 666 Old 07-23-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jso228 View Post

Hi,
When watching a blu ray movie in a PS3, is it best to listen to it in Linear PCM or Bitstream format? I have tested both out, quality wise i really didnt notice a difference but Linear PCM is much louder than dolby. But i was adviced to listen to blu ray movies in Bitstream format, but i have been reading about this in other forums, some recommend to listen to it in Linear PCM format. Any suggestions would be appriciated..
Thanks

....Read 3 posts above yours....

------------------------------------
PSN/XBO: frankthetoad
post #384 of 666 Old 07-26-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

well done, sir, i think we can lock the thread now

+1

PSN: Ratnose
post #385 of 666 Old 07-26-2009, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmystikcfl View Post

Okay, I made a minor mistake here in regards to the Denon. It can do night mode regardless of whether its getting a PCM or Bitstreamed source. It just can't do it with Audyssey enabled. However, AL24 processing is only for PCM sources. That's not the case with all receivers though.
post #386 of 666 Old 08-08-2009, 10:16 AM

I just recently bought Pioneer blue ray player 51fd. I noticed that Pioneer DTS HD Ma and Dolby true hd bit rate is higher compare to Sony PS3 (my fren own) PCM output. Pionner output thru analog multichannel.
Pioneer DTS MA = ~5MPS, Dolby true HD 11 MPS
PS3 DTS MA = ~4MPS, DOlby True HD ~3.5MPS
Both player can showed MPS on the screen if enable.
My fren and me think that PS3 LPCM(PCM) cannot give full range of HD audio. Full HD audio only can be output thru bitstream, or some player that could decode internally. IN short PS3 till today firmware had confirm not able to handle full HD audio thru PCM. PS3 bitstream onlt limited to normal DD (0.64MPS) or DTS (~1.51MPS).
ANd question rgd PCM or bitstream is better?
It is all depend on chipset on your player vs your receiver. In normal cases receiver will do better because SOny, panasonic, etc are using generic decoder. Only some high end blue ray or DVD player may use better decoder for PCM output.
If youhave older receiver that does not do decoding for HD audio you may consider to buy a blue ray player that have analog multichannel output (not HDMI PCM). Pioneer 51fd, 05 has good wolfson chipset DAC and is above average receiver quality.
post #387 of 666 Old 08-08-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

there are an awful lot of variables when you consider all of the PS3's output format selections in the setup screens...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #388 of 666 Old 08-08-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysiau View Post

I just recently bought Pioneer blue ray player 51fd. I noticed that Pioneer DTS HD Ma and Dolby true hd bit rate is higher compare to Sony PS3 (my fren own) PCM output. Pionner output thru analog multichannel.
Pioneer DTS MA = ~5MPS, Dolby true HD 11 MPS
PS3 DTS MA = ~4MPS, DOlby True HD ~3.5MPS
Both player can showed MPS on the screen if enable.
My fren and me think that PS3 LPCM(PCM) cannot give full range of HD audio. Full HD audio only can be output thru bitstream, or some player that could decode internally. IN short PS3 till today firmware had confirm not able to handle full HD audio thru PCM. PS3 bitstream onlt limited to normal DD (0.64MPS) or DTS (~1.51MPS).
ANd question rgd PCM or bitstream is better?
It is all depend on chipset on your player vs your receiver. In normal cases receiver will do better because SOny, panasonic, etc are using generic decoder. Only some high end blue ray or DVD player may use better decoder for PCM output.
If youhave older receiver that does not do decoding for HD audio you may consider to buy a blue ray player that have analog multichannel output (not HDMI PCM). Pioneer 51fd, 05 has good wolfson chipset DAC and is above average receiver quality.

For what movie are you comparing the PS3 to the Pioneer? You get a bitrate of 11MPS from a BLu Ray movie with Dolby Tru HD? Only a few blu rays reach those bitrates usually 24 bit 96khz might bounce into those ranges.

In general there are too many variables to make the claim you are making.

And claiming Full HD audio can only be output through bitstream is laughable at best and completely erroneous.

The main issue is not the player or players for HD audio playback but how the receiver handles PCM. What receiver are you using to for the PS3?
post #389 of 666 Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 AM

hi all,
My fren PS3 uses Onkyo 606 receiver thru HDMI cable. It will not showed Dolby True HD or DTS MA on the receiver when PS3 output via PCM. When PS3 output via bitstream, the receiver only able to show normal DD or DTS.
The bit rate info I get from the TV when you press display button. For PS3 if you select PCM as output, the display on your TV will show DTS HD MA or true HD with bitrate, this same as Pioneer 51HD. I connected Pioneer thru multiple analog output. Bitrate info showed in TV as well after press display button.
Movie that I watched were Transformer, Ironman, I robot. These are Dolby true HD. For DTS MA it was Kung Fu Panda.
I also not sure why pioneer display of bitrate is very high compare to PS3. May be I was wrong here due to too much variable. Might need your help to correct me.
Note: All these movies bought from USA, not in Asia.
post #390 of 666 Old 08-09-2009, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For PS3 if you select PCM as output, the display on your TV will show DTS HD MA or true HD with bitrate

That's impossible...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Sony Str Dg810 6 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - Dg810 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page