post #91 of 666 Old 02-24-2008, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohji1 View Post

hi i have the same problem as the folks with the yamahas, except i have my ps3 hooked up via hdmi to an onkyo tx-sr705.

AFAIK, this is a common issue with LPCM, not necessarily specific to PS3. You should be able to find quite a bit of documentation through a forum search. For example:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=10864480
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=12130013
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=12596820

You'll find a bunch more floating around, especially in the blu-ray forums. Hope that helps.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 666 Old 02-24-2008, 07:38 AM

Liked: 10
thank you both for the replies. based on confidenceman's suggestion, i'm beginning to realize that there are sound level differences in the output for LPCM and Bitstream, but primairly only for TRUE HD blu-ray discs. I'll have to test this out by purchasing different BDs to see if I get the same results as other posters.

In any case, thanks for the help and I think this should be noted in the thread prominently somewhere that loudness can significantly decrease when outputting LPCM from the PS3 to one's receiver and that this is normal and not a function of one's equipment, but of the source input and/or track.
post #93 of 666 Old 03-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post

I have a question with regards to PCM vs Bitstream. My receiver can only do 2 channels of PCM (even over HDMI) and I recently found out that the movie SWAT has a 5.1 PCM track and no legacy tracks like DD or DTS. My question is how would I set up my PS3 to get some form of 5.1 sound out of it going into my receiver? Would I simply changing the audio output on the PS3 to bitstream or pcm remedy this?

LOL, I would simply wait a few months until they come out with a receiver that you can hook up your BR and other components to and get all the sounds you need. It will not be long until they have a receiver and speakers that will decode everything and you will not have to waste your money for early technology. People are spending lots of money on receivers right now and within a year there will be a receiver with speakers all in one that will play everything.
Just my opinion
post #94 of 666 Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 PM

@katuehlvr1: The Denon 4308CI decodes damn near everything

I just wanted to put in this link to a really good explanation of the differences between LPCM & BitStream.

whatsonhdtv.blogspot.com/2006/07/hd-dvd-vs-blu-ray-pt-v.html

(I'm not allowed to post links yet)
post #95 of 666 Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJordan View Post

@katuehlvr1: The Denon 4308CI decodes damn near everything

I just wanted to put in this link to a really good explanation of the differences between LPCM & BitStream.

whatsonhdtv.blogspot.com/2006/07/hd-dvd-vs-blu-ray-pt-v.html

(I'm not allowed to post links yet)

That link didn't work for me! This is a great site though, Playstation 3 Secrets on edepot.com

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Audio
post #96 of 666 Old 04-12-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davio View Post

Um, yeah there is. I dont know about all receivers, but my Yamaha RX-V2700 has a significantly different level when listening to DD/DTS through Bitstream (letting AVR decode) as opposed to PCM (letting PS3 decode and send to receiver). Overall the soundfield is noticeably better if I let the AVR do the decoding.

I switch back and forth depending on the audio track of the particular movie Im watching....but at least thats a nice feature of the PS3, you can change bitstream/PCM on the fly. My HD-A2 you have to stop the movie and go to the setup menu. Bah

I totally agree. I used to just keep my PS3 set to linear pcm and just run with that for both dvds and BRs and tonight I was reading this thread and decided to try out bitstream. All I can say is for three months since I've had my Onkyo 705 I've been cutting my audio quality for DVDs far short. I couldn't believe how much louder and with more bass the DVD had. I kept pausing a scene with an explosion and kept switching back and forth and noticed a huge difference. Which now leaves me wondering.
How much better bitstream for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA would sound?

SEMPER FI
post #97 of 666 Old 04-12-2008, 09:14 PM

I have my PS3 set to bitstream, mainly because my reciever doesn't support multichannel Linear PCM. If I have it set to Linear PCM, it only outputs Dolby Prologic II. I set it to bitstream, it outputs DTS and sounds great for BD movies.
post #98 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 12:42 PM

We'll never know since the ps3 wont bitstream dolby tru hd or dts-hd. Hell it wont even send dts hd over pcm.

If we dont get a patch soon to decode dts hd ma, I'm going to buy a new bd player.

Xbox Live: LoftyStream
PSN: LoftyStream
post #99 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivas View Post

We'll never know since the ps3 wont bitstream dolby tru hd or dts-hd. Hell it wont even send dts hd over pcm.

If we dont get a patch soon to decode dts hd ma, I'm going to buy a new bd player.

Have you been hiding in a cave? The ps3 patch to do DTS-HD MA to PCM will be available Tuesday morning at 3am Eastern Standard Time. It has been all over these forums for days now.
post #100 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 02:59 PM

*steps out of cave*

OMG... I'm ecstatic. seriously. I can now buy fox movies.

post #101 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:

*steps out of cave*

OMG... I'm ecstatic. seriously. I can now buy fox movies.

Better wear sun glasses for the first few days to let your eyes adjust to the daylight! Same here, I am filling my queue up with some DTS Lossless titles. I have I-Robot sitting on the shelf waiting to be the first one!
post #102 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 03:34 PM

I'm going to buy Live free or die hard tonight. Explosions galore.

post #103 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 04:02 PM

I can think of some better movies with explosions if you're actually gonna BUY the movie. lol. "it's got explosions"

--V for Vendetta.
post #104 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 05:10 PM

I'm welcome to suggestions

post #105 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Flight of the phoenix(one of my 5 freebies), the plane crash scene with the DTS Core was phenomenal. Look forward to checking it out with the lossless track.
post #106 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I'm anxious to check out Pan's Labyrinth and a few other movies (mainly from Fox). I'd like to hear the plane going down in Cast Away as well.

-Brad

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #107 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I picked up U571 from amazon.uk last year. It's DTS-HD MA so I'm dying to hear this one.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #108 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 06:27 PM

Well, if you're looking for something now on the shelves, Ratatouille is not only a great movie that looks amazing, but the soundtrack (as with all Pixar movies) is really top notch. It's a triple A blu-ray disc. In May, be sure to get V for Vendetta.
post #109 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickaelmc View Post

Well, if you're looking for something now on the shelves, Ratatouille is not only a great movie that looks amazing, but the soundtrack (as with all Pixar movies) is really top notch. It's a triple A blu-ray disc. In May, be sure to get V for Vendetta.

None of these are DTS-Master, we have been able to hear these already in all of their glory. The fox movies have been limited to DTS-Core for us PS3 owners.
post #110 of 666 Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Sunshine, with the DTS core, is probably the best my system has ever sounded. It's probably pretty rockin with the HD MA track.
post #111 of 666 Old 04-14-2008, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase8776 View Post

The title says it all..
What exactly is the difference between Bitstream vs. Linear PCM?

Your question is not phrased correctly and has a certain degree of ambiguity.

In order to substantively answer the question, it needs to be broken into two parts:

1. "What exactly is the difference between Lossless Bitstream and Linear PCM" ?

2. "What exactly is the difference between Lossless Bitstream and Lossy Bitstream?"

Answer to #1: Lossless Bitstream is a compressed version of the original audio file. This is very similar in concept to FLAC or AAC as related to the original WAV file. Naturally, it takes up less space than the original but retains the original data.

Linear PCM is the the uncompressed (lossless). It MAY OR MAY NOT be the original signal. Say, the original signal is 48KHz / 24-bit in resolution. Studios will use this original signal to create the lossless bitstream (like TrueHD or DTS-HD). But, then, often the studios will take a lower version of the signal (say, 48KHz / 16-bit) for the Linear PCM stream. Which according to me is a cop out ! Why ? Because, in such cases, the bitstream is superior to the LPCM (assuming, you have a way to transcode / decode it). The reason studios resort to this is because of disk space (48/16 LPCM needs less space than 48/24 LPCM)

Answer to #2: Thats pretty obvious ... its like between a JPG (lossy) and a compressed TIFF (lossless) image file. They both have to be decoded (uncompressed) but the TIFF is superior (but takes up more space than JPG).

But, on a slightly unrelated note, a TrueHD or a DTS-MA or a uncompressed PCM track is no guarantee of superior quality. For all you know, the original soundtrack was so mediocre that it probably did not deserve that kind of a treatment. Most folks tend to jump on the TrueHD or DTS-MA bandwagon without realizing this shrewd marketing scheme.
post #112 of 666 Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

I'm anxious to check out Pan's Labyrinth and a few other movies (mainly from Fox). I'd like to hear the plane going down in Cast Away as well.

-Brad

I have Pan's Labyrinth in my Netflix queue, should be here tomorrow, DTS-MA 7.1 played on a 7.1 system
post #113 of 666 Old 04-14-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 154
it's funny how we're all so anxious to hear generally AWFUL sounds, including: screams, crashes, explosions, screeches, things collapsing, etc.

only in our worlds.

james

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #114 of 666 Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been wishing for years for one of those IMAX seats that you strap in to, and it moves all around with the movie and shakes and stuff.

In about 20 years we will be laughing at a 7.1 system. When it becomes a 20.5 system.

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
post #115 of 666 Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I'm welcome to suggestions

HITMAN.....
post #116 of 666 Old 04-15-2008, 11:54 PM

I'm totally confused by the Bitstream vs Linear PCM debate.

I have a Pioneer VSX-D811S that only accepts Optical and no HDMI.

With the new audio upgrades to the PS3, am i better off choosing Bitsream? I noticed when i select PCM, the receiver no longer shows the "DTS" logo on the unit on a movie like Hitman. But does that mean that the PS3 is doing all the work and the receiver is just "passing" the signal the PS3 produces to the speakers?

I did a comparison and all i can tell is that the PCM signal is 2 db quieter and i cannot really tell if the sound is any different.

Is sending a PCM signal just a waste as my receiver doesn't support it and therefore i'm not even getting standard dobly or DTS?

Any help is appreciated guys. Everytime i think i understand it, the next post seems to confuse me more.
post #117 of 666 Old 04-16-2008, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodypooh View Post

I'm totally confused by the Bitstream vs Linear PCM debate.

I have a Pioneer VSX-D811S that only accepts Optical and no HDMI.

With the new audio upgrades to the PS3, am i better off choosing Bitsream? I noticed when i select PCM, the receiver no longer shows the "DTS" logo on the unit on a movie like Hitman. But does that mean that the PS3 is doing all the work and the receiver is just "passing" the signal the PS3 produces to the speakers?

I did a comparison and all i can tell is that the PCM signal is 2 db quieter and i cannot really tell if the sound is any different.

Is sending a PCM signal just a waste as my receiver doesn't support it and therefore i'm not even getting standard dobly or DTS?

Any help is appreciated guys. Everytime i think i understand it, the next post seems to confuse me more.

Optical connection won't change any, so you won't be able to differentiate between the new update for DTS-HD-MA. HDMI is a requirement for any of the lossless audio.

Bitstream would be ideal for optical connection, but your still getting the dts-core and the DD/DD+ which are all lossy audio formats.

Sorry, but you'll have to upgrade your AVR to enjoy the lossless goodness.

-Splints
post #118 of 666 Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 AM

i've been sifting through all this info about what you can and cannot do over optical audio lines from a PS3 to a receiver, and i've been thoroughly confused.

some posts led me to believe that by turning off all but LPCM it would force the PS3 decoded DTS HD MA audio track through the optical line, so i went out and bought reservoir dogs (DTS HD MA 6.1), and, low and behold, it worked perfectly.

i have an Onkyo TX-SR575 (7.1, 2x HDMI passthrough) so i didnt have the option of using the HDMI for audio. seems like alot of people have either this, the 605, or 705 from Onkyo, so all of you guys who are unsure, it does work.

i'll be buying The Usual Suspects probably tomorrow to see if i can get this done in 7.1.
post #119 of 666 Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgi View Post

i've been sifting through all this info about what you can and cannot do over optical audio lines from a PS3 to a receiver, and i've been thoroughly confused.

some posts led me to believe that by turning off all but LPCM it would force the PS3 decoded DTS HD MA audio track through the optical line, so i went out and bought reservoir dogs (DTS HD MA 6.1), and, low and behold, it worked perfectly.

i have an Onkyo TX-SR575 (7.1, 2x HDMI passthrough) so i didnt have the option of using the HDMI for audio. seems like alot of people have either this, the 605, or 705 from Onkyo, so all of you guys who are unsure, it does work.

i'll be buying The Usual Suspects probably tomorrow to see if i can get this done in 7.1.

Are you trying to say your getting DTS-HD MA through optical connection?
I don't believe that's possible.

"What are you waiting for, you're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are"
post #120 of 666 Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sli123 View Post

Are you trying to say your getting DTS-HD MA through optical connection?
I don't believe that's possible.

It isn't. He's not getting what he thinks he is.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Sony Str Dg810 6 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - Dg810 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page