DLNA Server for Windows/Linux - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 207 Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally gave up on WMP 11 (see my previous posts) and downloaded SimpleCenter. I was able to stream my ripped CD collection and view all my digital photos without any problems. Very, very satisfied there. But I also have a bunch of AVI videos that I shot with my point-and-shoot digital camera. I realized immediately that i needed to convert them to MPEG2 to get them over the Simplecenter network. I downloaded a free video convertor and began converting some of these files.

Simplecenter now streams these MPEG2 transfers to my PS3 but about 20 seconds into each stream the audio cuts out. Also FF and Rewind and pause functions for these videos are all super sloooooow. The majority of my videos are about 30 seconds total running time so these aren't large files....I don't care about streaming DVD video or any other video for that matter. But I would like to watch my converted AVI clips on my HDTV over the PS3.

Anyone have any "simple" ideas why my audio drops out? I have heard that remote control functions over a DLNA network are very non-responsive but the audio is a deal-breaker for me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 207 Old 06-06-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you are wireless to the ps3 then my money is on that. Try a wired connection and see if you get the same problems. Try serving using a different dlna server. or post one of your problem clips and see if anyone else has the same problem with it.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #183 of 207 Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

So I picked up my PS3 this week, mostly for the streaming media feature. I'm hoping to replace my old Xbox with XBMC, and move that to another room.

The major issue I'm running into is that I can't figure out how to get 5.1 sound out of streaming videos. Anyone had any luck with this?

I've tried 6 channel AAC, embedded AC3 and even PLII encoding. No matter what, I only get stereo sound.

I'm connected via HDMI, if that makes a difference.
post #184 of 207 Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidboy View Post

So I picked up my PS3 this week, mostly for the streaming media feature. I'm hoping to replace my old Xbox with XBMC, and move that to another room.

The major issue I'm running into is that I can't figure out how to get 5.1 sound out of streaming videos. Anyone had any luck with this?

I've tried 6 channel AAC, embedded AC3 and even PLII encoding. No matter what, I only get stereo sound.

I'm connected via HDMI, if that makes a difference.

What server are you running on your computer?

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #185 of 207 Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

PLII is stereo. You need a receiver to decode it into 5.1 ch..

For AC3 - the PS3 (currently?) can only play MPEG_PS files with AC3, and even then it converts/outputs it as 2-ch. PCM only.

AAC is also limited to 2-ch. (currently??).

Types of files that can be played

No idea if they plan to update and add support for more audio formats (AC3, multi-channel AAC, etc..)
post #186 of 207 Old 06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

I've tried a few different servers. I liked TVersity, but it kept crashing on me. Right now I'm playing with Nero MediaHome.

For whatever reason, my new receiver (Onkyo 604) doesn't seem to apply PLII to the output of the PS3. Might be a configuration issue. Still, I'd rather not settle for that and would prefer the original audio stream.

I've discovered that if I rip a DVD and convert the VOB to MPG, the AC3 is passed along fine (and plays through all 5.1 channels). Is this what you mean by MPEG-2 PS?
The files are huge though, I'd really prefer a more compressed version.

I guess I'll live with this for now. Hopefully Sony adds more codecs soon.
post #187 of 207 Old 06-10-2007, 05:29 PM

I decided to "suck it up" and install Cat6 throughout my house last week.

Almost without saying (but I will anyway) all PS3 streaming is much improved over running my WirelessG (even at 100% using a Linksys Signal booster at the midpoint).

No hiccups, fast browsing, and ZERO false starts so far. I am playing Anime AVIs from my C2Duo over Cat6 at both GB and 100 speed without issues. Still no FF RW or Pause in transcoding via Nero MediaHome, but I will make do with that.
post #188 of 207 Old 06-10-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidboy View Post

I've tried a few different servers. I liked TVersity, but it kept crashing on me. Right now I'm playing with Nero MediaHome.

For whatever reason, my new receiver (Onkyo 604) doesn't seem to apply PLII to the output of the PS3. Might be a configuration issue. Still, I'd rather not settle for that and would prefer the original audio stream.

I've discovered that if I rip a DVD and convert the VOB to MPG, the AC3 is passed along fine (and plays through all 5.1 channels). Is this what you mean by MPEG-2 PS?
The files are huge though, I'd really prefer a more compressed version.

I guess I'll live with this for now. Hopefully Sony adds more codecs soon.

I have gotten TVersity setup and it works wonderfully, It's been running for 30 hours here crash free now. I tried simple center but it wasn't working so well and the whole limited amount of video you can do with simple center turned me to TVersity and its on the fly transcoding. Only one minor setup hiccup - I had to manually confire windows firewall for the port and for the Tversity media server program. Then it was grand. If after installing and cataloging with Tversity your PS3 still does not see the media server, try turning the firewall off to test where the problem lies, assuming it then works, turn the firewall back on and figure out what eceptions you need to have in there to make it work.

I watched an xvid compressed .avi file and TVersity transcoded on the fly and pumped it right across. Too bad you can't even pause playbak on the PS3 in this scenario but the transcoded playback was totally hiccup free, My PC is a dual athlon 2800 and the system processor utiliztion while transcoding on the fly was about 60% (so a single athlon 2800 likely wouldn't have been up to the task). I have not yet tried a full blown DVD converted to Mepg playback scenario yet.

It took a long time to catalog my library the first day (about 4 hours) but I have about 10,000 3MB picture files on my USB archive drive that it was cataloging so I can live with that.

I did find better picture browisng performance by not having TVersity resize pictures to a "maximum" pixel size. The PS3 is faster at fetching the 3MB 6.1 MP images and resizing them internally as appropiate for the TV rahter than the PC having to resize before it can begin transfer of the file. I do wish that the PS3 had a way to view the images pixel for pixel.

Oh and my network is wired 100 MB.
post #189 of 207 Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgephri View Post

I decided to "suck it up" and install Cat6 throughout my house last week.

Almost without saying (but I will anyway) all PS3 streaming is much improved over running my WirelessG (even at 100% using a Linksys Signal booster at the midpoint).

No hiccups, fast browsing, and ZERO false starts so far. I am playing Anime AVIs from my C2Duo over Cat6 at both GB and 100 speed without issues. Still no FF RW or Pause in transcoding via Nero MediaHome, but I will make do with that.

Might as well go with the best, but for those that are curious cat5 will work just fine for streaming video as well.

I have my PC serving video to my xbox and it streams fine. I get FTP speeds of 7-8MB/s when dumping files to the xbox.

PSN ID: Ass
post #190 of 207 Old 06-10-2007, 10:04 PM

true, I just decided that for the minimal price difference (Cat5e to Cat6) I was only going to do it once for the headroom in the cable bandwidth in the future.
post #191 of 207 Old 06-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgephri View Post

true, I just decided that for the minimal price difference (Cat5e to Cat6) I was only going to do it once for the headroom in the cable bandwidth in the future.

Oh I agree, just wanted to let others others that might have some extra cat5 know it will be up to the task.

post #192 of 207 Old 06-18-2007, 07:50 AM

I would like to start using the Media Server capability to serve my DVD collection to the PS3. What program is best for ripping the DVDs and what format should they be stored in.
I would prefer something free, but if necessary would buy a program. I will be using Windows XP for the serving platform.
post #193 of 207 Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temitch View Post

I would like to start using the Media Server capability to serve my DVD collection to the PS3. What program is best for ripping the DVDs and what format should they be stored in.
I would prefer something free, but if necessary would buy a program. I will be using Windows XP for the serving platform.

If just strating to backup your collection I would use the MP4 AVC format that the PS3 can decode. You can encode in another format, but I've had mixed results transcoding the files correctly.

Great website with tons of guides and links to the software you will need:
http://www.videohelp.com/
Check out the conversion section to see what you need to convert your DVDs, there are tons of guides. Also have a dedicated DVD backuo section, good luck.

post #194 of 207 Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Has anyone successfully gotten a digital mpeg2 transport (ie:broadcast high-def) audio track to play? I can get some video of some of my recorded programs to show up but no audio at all, no matter what program I try.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #195 of 207 Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temitch View Post

Yeah, I would agree with Jules343. If you are starting out today then use mpeg4 AVC to encode. MeGUI does a very good job for this and there are instructions and a PS3 profile for MeGUI available.

The big downside to AVC is the time it can take to encode. For very good quality, I have been averaging about 12-14 hours to encode a movie on my 2.8 ghz P4. I think those new Core Duo CPUs can get significantly faster times.

PSN: YstadYakuza
post #196 of 207 Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post

Yeah, I would agree with Jules343. If you are starting out today then use mpeg4 AVC to encode. MeGUI does a very good job for this and there are instructions and a PS3 profile for MeGUI available.

The big downside to AVC is the time it can take to encode. For very good quality, I have been averaging about 12-14 hours to encode a movie on my 2.8 ghz P4. I think those new Core Duo CPUs can get significantly faster times.

Very good point as well, AVC is indeed more CPU intensive.

post #197 of 207 Old 06-19-2007, 07:00 PM

is there a list anywhere of what dimensions the PS3/Nero Mediahome will process?

I have some odd AVIs that won't play, but if I reencode them with PS3V9 to MP4 they play fine. Then I have a feature length Anime that didn't play after reencoding either.

I think the funny dimensions were the issue (7something by 3 something).
post #198 of 207 Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 AM

if anyone is having access problems, i figured on vista you have to do this

do this on each media folder you have. so the main folder it will spread it across all sub folders.

after i did this EVERYTHING started to show up.

also of note make sure you have firewall settings corr
post #199 of 207 Old 06-21-2007, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Really no reason to encode any DVDs unless your media streamer won't stream them. PS3 sees VOB's just fine and that way you don't lose any quality either. just rip the dvd movie to one big VOB using DVD Decryptor. Then make sure all transcoding is turned off on your media streamer.

post #200 of 207 Old 10-27-2007, 04:19 PM

See Robert Green's DIY article "How to choose a DLNA Media Server for Windows, Mac OS X or Linux" at http://www.rbgrn.net/blog/2007/08/ho...-or-linux.html

He lists a number of choices and picks some winners.
post #201 of 207 Old 10-28-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm using uShare now for PS3 and it works well on Linux. However I also have a 360 that I like to serve as well. I thought I can just run another uShare daemon but it seems that the PS3 would pick up the wrong daemon and it will not work.

Anyone else find a way to serve upnp to both PS3 and 360 on the same network under Linux and possibly with uShare?
post #202 of 207 Old 05-11-2008, 12:14 AM

I tried a number of Linux based upnp / dlna servers. I'm running Mandriva Linux 2008.0. Here's what I've had success with. In the 2 that worked (mediatomb and ushare) they both had a longish pause before the first song started playing, and between tracks. Watching the network traffic on my linux box, it looks like it streams all or most all of the mp3 to the PS3 before it starts playing... that's annoying. The linux box is very fast - a dual core AMD, 2gb ram, SATA drive. The PS3 is on 802.11g wifi, if I had it on wired ethernet the pause would probably be a lot less.

mediatomb version 0.10. You need to edit your ~.mediatomb/config.xml and add the line (I put it at the end of the server section):

This enables dlna support that the PS3 needs.

To start, use the cmd:

mediatomb -a /path/to/mp3s

Mediatomb also has a web interface, but I didn't find it that useful. It does export my m3u playlists.

ushare version 1.0 works with this cmd line:

ushare -v -d -n -c /path/to/mp3s

The "-d" is needed to tell it to use dlna. The -v is for "verbose", this is optional.

ushare didn't support the .m3u playlists, so I had to drill down to the folder and start the first song (they're all numbered, i.e. 01_my_track.mp3 so they play in order anyway). The PS3 does load the next song in the folder, after the aforementioned long pause.

I also tried gmediaserver, but it would get the dreaded DLNA protocol error on the PS3. Could be that there's a newer version of it that fixes this.

I didn't try video or pictures yet...

Hope this helps some of you looking for a free / linux based DLNA solution.
post #203 of 207 Old 05-11-2008, 11:04 AM
awx
AVS Special Member

Hmm, that's weird that you get a long pause. My mediatomb server is only 266 mhz with a 4200 rpm laptop drive and I get no more than a 1 or 2 sec pause when playing songs.

post #204 of 207 Old 05-11-2008, 12:02 PM

I also installed WinAmp Remote - it has basically the same behavior with the long pause between songs. Could be a networking issue for me. I'm currently running a 2-Wire DSL modem with wifi, I'm not too pleased with the performance of it.
post #205 of 207 Old 05-11-2008, 02:08 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

How long of a delay are you talking about?

post #206 of 207 Old 05-11-2008, 02:38 PM

I didn't put a stopwatch to it, but I'm guessing between 30 seconds and a minute. I can check it again later.
post #207 of 207 Old 05-11-2008, 03:58 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

Yeah, you have something wrong if you can't compete with my 266 mhz server.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page