Full range RGB (HDMI)??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it just me or does it look like it fixes the washed out corners of your TV problem?

EDIT:

Lol, I think it does! Nice upgrade! 1080p/24 too! Wow there is nice little hidden gems that I did not read in the update!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM

Yup! Washed out problem completely fixed now, I'm ecstatic!!!!
post #3 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Do these two settings, RGB Full Range and Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White only affect BD/DVD playback, depending on which output format you have selected?

Avarice
post #4 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

Do these two settings, RGB Full Range and Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White only affect BD/DVD playback, depending on which output format you have selected?

I believe it affects BD/DVD/PS3 being that it is located in display settings, as is Super White. I am interested in Super White? I want to know what it does.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penvision66 View Post

I believe it affects BD/DVD/PS3 being that it is located in display settings, as is Super White. I am interested in Super White? I want to know what it does.

Start reading in the BR forums...there are like 10 - 12 (1.8 update) threads going now across AVS. I'm reading in the BR section for the dedicated (no offense to anyone here) HT enthusiasts to tell me the same thing. I think it fixes the mild white clipping experienced before? God this stuff is so technical. All I know is if it makes the picture look better - thats a good thing right.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #6 of 14 Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
my video looks noticeably darker when i set RGB to Full. is this what its supposed to look like?

edit: i just have to recalibrate my brightness setting. i calibrated with avia before the update and had my brightness at 47. i guess ill just have use avia again to set the brightness with the RGB set to Full.
should everyone set RGB to full?
post #7 of 14 Old 05-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Depends on the source.

Here's a comparison pic of the Ninja Gaiden demo with limited and full.
Looks much richer here, the colors at least.. Blacks are very black, so maybe some is lost on his costume.

Limited:

Full:
post #8 of 14 Old 05-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Actually, it just makes every color deeper/darker.
This fix is pretty much just for those LCDs that have the 'washed out' effect.

Don't use this setting blindly.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
"Super White" offsets the typical over-exposure in bright scenes .

This is what I found after searching for it , sounds like it was designed by Epson ?

--- Jason
post #10 of 14 Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallow View Post

Actually, it just makes every color deeper/darker.
This fix is pretty much just for those LCDs that have the 'washed out' effect.

Don't use this setting blindly.

Agreed , I would say this setting is dependant upon the display being used .

--- Jason
post #11 of 14 Old 05-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Here's a test for people to see whether or not their display supports the new full range option or not.

First, save this image, and put it on a memory card or something so that you can view it on the PS3:

http://sr-388.net/images/patterns/Brightness.jpg

With the option set to limited, adjust the brightness control on your TV until you can see most/all of the boxes. There are 12 boxes there, but you might not be able to see them all. You should hopefully be able to see at least 9/10 of them.

Now switch it over to Full range. Can you still see all the boxes? It's very likely that you will only see a full black screen now if you're using a HDTV rather than a DVI monitor.

If you can turn up the brightness control and see the same number of boxes again, then it seems your display does support the full range. If it stays black, or you can't see as many boxes as before, your TV does not support the full range option and you should be using limited.

Most HDTVs should have it set to limited.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-24-2007, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for that test - will test the PS3 tomorrow. Off to bed...will let the HT folks work the kinks out of the setting tonight and I read what they come up with tomorrow. All in all - excellent update.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #13 of 14 Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
ok, so if i can turn my brightness up and see all the boxes in Full mode, then my set supports Full mode and thats what i should use? i guess my set supports Full then.
blacks are definitely darker and deeper when set to Full. another thing i noticed when set to Full mode is that i can now see the drop down shadow on the THX logo in the THX optimizer. my LCD TV is fairly new and i bought it AFTER i bought my PS3, so i didn't really know if my image was washed out, or if thats the way it was.

few more questions. i have my BD/DVD output (HDMI) set to Automatic rather than RGB. should i set this to RGB?

also, should i turn on the "super-white" option?

edit: is it normal that blu-ray movies look the same with RGB set to Full, but games look noticeably darker? i noticed before the update, games looked kinda washed out, but blu-ray movies looked quite saturated. now while playing games, blacks are deeper and colors are more saturated.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-24-2007, 04:21 AM

i know i posted this but just wanted to be heard

Go to {Display setting} and enable a new setting called (RGB full range) (hdmi) to Full... Also their is a new (super-white) (HDMI) setting turn that ON also.

My review on this wonderful new settings.

After turning my RGB to full I was blown away on how much more PQ/contrast I got out of my LCD TV set. After some tv calibration, I turned off all the lights in my living room and let the magic begin, started two different titles 1st was SD DVD Training Day, amazing jump in pq, #2 titles BD dvd The Departed... Not only did my blacks get absolute black on both titles but the contract improved greatly with out crushing. I have been up all night playing around with my ps3 testing out different settings I have to say by far this upscaling update makes the ps3 worth ever cent and it will go down in history for setting a standard for home media devices. Best upscaling on the market this whole system is ahead of its time the market hasnt even caught up yet. If i was sony I wouldnt be doing any price drops until next year the system is worth the price. I find it really hard for anyone to find fault with the ps3 now. Yeah yeah yeah but what about games, Their are games for the ps3 so enough of that non-sence. This system at this point in time is by fair the best media player ever created. Blackest I have ever seen a LCD get its just amazing, truley black no more grey.

Upscaling 1080p on ps1/ps2 games is wicked. I poped in GOD of War 2, Shadows of colossus, Kingdom hearts2, RE4 and went Old school with some chronos cross, I coudlnt find a jaggy if I tried. The games where smooth as a babyies bottom. It made me wish I could have played them orginally like that. I didnt think sony could do it but dayum they shut me up. This update makes me want to hunt down all those ps2 games I might have missed or maybe not have finished and start all over again. This update will hold me until the block buster games come out.

After this update i can shamefully apologize for ever saying anything negative about the ps3 ,sony Hats off to you. I will not ever bash one of your products ever again.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page