OFFICIAL "RGB: Full Bug" FW 1.80 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't been able to find a defined post talking about this issue but I have seen it mentioned at least once in most large threads pertaining to the new 1.80 firmware for the PS3.

For those who may not know, there is currently an issue with the RGB: Full setting that causes it to revert back to Limited upon doing a number of things, such as playing a DVD, playing a PS1/PS2 game, or power cycling the console. Some even have mentioned the problem occuring when exiting a PS3 game or Blu-ray as well. It is also worth noting that the setting may actually say FULL, but you can tell by the brightness level that it is not.

I made a post on the PS Underground forums as well ... hopefully people will take notice and Sony will get a hotfix on the way.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...ead.id=1548650

PLEASE reply to this if you've encountered this issue. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetrey47 View Post

I haven't been able to find a defined post talking about this issue but I have seen it mentioned at least once in most large threads pertaining to the new 1.80 firmware for the PS3.

For those who may not know, there is currently an issue with the RGB: Full setting that causes it to revert back to Limited upon doing a number of things, such as playing a DVD, playing a PS1/PS2 game, or power cycling the console. Some even have mentioned the problem occuring when exiting a PS3 game or Blu-ray as well. It is also worth noting that the setting may actually say FULL, but you can tell by the brightness level that it is not.

I made a post on the PS Underground forums as well ... hopefully people will take notice and Sony will get a hotfix on the way.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...ead.id=1548650

PLEASE reply to this if you've encountered this issue. Thanks!

Hardset your BD/DVD Output Format settings (to RGB), and see what happens.
post #3 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Yeah, mine stays on Full, but I can tell it isn't, and I have to switch to Limited, then back to Full to get the effect again.

Quote:

Hardset your BD/DVD Output Format settings (to RGB), and see what happens.

Oh, good idea. I'll try when I get home.
post #4 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

I'll double check when I get home from work in about an hour, but I'm fairly certain my BD setting is already on RGB. Thanks for the tip though.
post #5 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetrey47 View Post

I'll double check when I get home from work in about an hour, but I'm fairly certain my BD setting is already on RGB. Thanks for the tip though.

Conversely, you could set it to Auto (BD/DVD Output Format) and make sure Super White is enabled (along with RGB Full), that way, when it switches to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr, it shouldn't clip the signal (theoretically).

On a side note, Super White also enables x.v.YCC support for AVCHD disc.
post #6 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

My issues with RGB Full/Limited:

With RGB limited, everything including the XMB, trailers, games, and movies all look fine. Brightness levels are perfect as verified by numerous test patterns and DVE. The ONLY issue is that BTB and WTW are not displayed in this mode.

With RGB Full, the XMB and downloaded trailers immediately get darker and there is noticeable black crush. I enter a blu-ray movie or a DVD and everything reverts to back to normal and BTB and WTW are present in all test patterns (this is good). I exit the movie playback and the XMB and all trailers have reverted back to the setting where there is no black crush.

So in my case at least, there seems to be two issues here. One regarding the setting not sticking and the other regarding the fact that movies have a different black level setup than the XMB/games/trailers.

As a side note, I have the HDMI input on my TV (Mitsubishi WD-52725) calibrated using DVE and a Pioneer 59avi. The 59avi is putting out full video RGB levels and passes BTB/WTW. The fact that movies play properly with RGB Full leads me to believe that outside movies, something else is being left uncompensated.
post #7 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I'll give that a try for my Blu-ray movies, but I don't think that's going to solve the problem with PS/PS2 games.
post #8 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

-Newb on this stuff.

I have my PS3 hooked up to my pearl. I use it for games and BDs. I have it hooked up through HDMI, so I want to know, do I set video output to RGB or Y Pb or Auto? Do I turn on Cross Color Reduction Filter? What about RGB Full(sounds like it's not working properly now)? Lastly, it sounds like Super White should be on.

Thanks
post #9 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopet View Post

-Newb on this stuff.

I have my PS3 hooked up to my pearl. I use it for games and BDs. I have it hooked up through HDMI, so I want to know, do I set video output to RGB or Y Pb or Auto? Do I turn on Cross Color Reduction Filter? What about RGB Full(sounds like it's not working properly now)? Lastly, it sounds like Super White should be on.

Thanks

I'm inclined not to help you out pure jealousy.

You're going to have to experiment a bit and determine what looks best to your eye's (on your display). Except for Cross Color Reduction, that should definitely be off. Unless you're running a composite or S-video cable to your Pearl. In which case, you don't even deserve it!

Try setting BD/DVD Video Output Format to Auto, to start with. At that point, begin experimenting with the RGB Full/Limited setting using different source material (XMB, PS3 games, BDs, etc). Then hardset the Output Format to something (RGB or Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr), using the same settings. Try it all again with Super White. Some settings you can probably eliminate immediately. Others might take a keen eye to decide. It would be a good idea to have a DVE and/or Avia disc handy, as well. Good luck. Please let us know your results.
post #10 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 AM

Not to sound daft, but what's a Pearl? Is it the valuable gem found in oysters? The Blackberry device? So confused!
post #11 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

Not to sound daft, but what's a Pearl? Is it the valuable gem found in oysters? The Blackberry device? So confused!

A Sony projector.
post #12 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD_Terp View Post

My issues with RGB Full/Limited:

With RGB limited, everything including the XMB, trailers, games, and movies all look fine. Brightness levels are perfect as verified by numerous test patterns and DVE. The ONLY issue is that BTB and WTW are not displayed in this mode.

With RGB Full, the XMB and downloaded trailers immediately get darker and there is noticeable black crush. I enter a blu-ray movie or a DVD and everything reverts to back to normal and BTB and WTW are present in all test patterns (this is good). I exit the movie playback and the XMB and all trailers have reverted back to the setting where there is no black crush.

So in my case at least, there seems to be two issues here. One regarding the setting not sticking and the other regarding the fact that movies have a different black level setup than the XMB/games/trailers.

As a side note, I have the HDMI input on my TV (Mitsubishi WD-52725) calibrated using DVE and a Pioneer 59avi. The 59avi is putting out full video RGB levels and passes BTB/WTW. The fact that movies play properly with RGB Full leads me to believe that outside movies, something else is being left uncompensated.

It is a given now that the PS3 outputs different levels for dashboard/menu/games/downloaded movies and Blu-ray discs. Before the 1.80 firmware, only the Blu-ray output could be adjusted.

On my HDTV before the 1.80 firmware, I had to adjust the brightness between settings of 25 and 40 as I had my Blu-ray output set to component instead of RGB (for the best results on my HDTV). Now, after the 1.80 firmware has added the option for RGB limited/full for dashboard/menu/games/downloaded movies I can set it to full on for my HDTV at leave the brightness setting at 40 for both menu/games and Blu-ray movies. I love this feature. I was going to suggest it after the Xbox 360 update that added something similar for HDMI on the elite called Reference Level (low, mid, high). The 360 had difference output levels between games/dashboard and HD DVD movies and I had to change my HDTV's brightness level back and forth between 25 and 40 - now I don't. Obviously I don't anymore for the PS3. My Oppo HD970 is fine at 40 too. The only device I have left that will require a 25 setting is my DirecTV H20 sat. receiver that sadly doesn't have such a RGB/Reference Level adjustment.

Way to go Sony and Microsoft on these very helpful settings!
post #13 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys should post your tv/projector type to see if we can narrow it down to models of tv.

Mine is a Sony V2500 lcd - no problems

Sony pay me 10 beeeelion dollars to plant blu-ray seeeeds.
post #14 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_six_pack View Post

You guys should post your tv/projector type to see if we can narrow it down to models of tv.

I'm using a Samsung HL-S5679W DLP. Will have to see if the RGB Full setting 'sticks' or not. The lady of the house is watching The Queen on Blu-ray right now but will check it when she's finished.
post #15 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 PM

I'm seeing this problem with a Sharp AQUOS LC-46D62U
post #16 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 01:21 PM
tqn

I experience this bug on a Mitsubishi HD1000 projector.

I'm not concerned though, as the RGB Limited option (pre 1.8 FW) has been working fine for me since day one.
post #17 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

This is the Pearl.
post #18 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

My settings seem to be holding.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #19 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I'm using a Samsung HL-S5679W DLP. Will have to see if the RGB Full setting 'sticks' or not. The lady of the house is watching The Queen on Blu-ray right now but will check it when she's finished.

I've experienced the bug when playing PS2 games. RGB setting reset to limited even though the menu shows it to be full. Only way to get it back is to change from full to limited and then back again on the PS3. Power cycling the console may cause it, will have to test more. I left a PS2 game in the drive after powering off the console. I hit eject to get the disc out and when the PS3 came on, it was in RGB limited mode again (even though the menu setting still showed it to be full <-very important point here: menu shows one thing, actual output it something else).
post #20 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
it's actually possible also while the setting seem to revert back to what "limited" looks like, it is still on Full RGB when playing movies even though xmb dashboard shows otherwise.
post #21 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Odd, my v2500 appears to be suffering from the limited XMB after leaving a BD/DVD.
post #22 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreeguy View Post

Odd, my v2500 appears to be suffering from the limited XMB after leaving a BD/DVD.

Wow...

Question, how are you connecting your ps3 to your tv? Mine is through a yamaha receiver, all through hdmi. I confirmed that upon restart of the ps3 that I still have the darker black levels of the full option.

If this is true, then the problem may not be because of simply tv models, but maybe because of something else.

post #23 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I can confirm now that I do not have this 'bug'.
Got to my PS3 today, menu still lists full, I switched it to limited, and indeed, everything got lighter again.
post #24 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I think it may be an HDMI issue. HDMI can do some funky things.
post #25 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

I think it may be an HDMI issue. HDMI can do some funky things.

Amen on that.
post #26 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

it's actually possible also while the setting seem to revert back to what "limited" looks like, it is still on Full RGB when playing movies even though xmb dashboard shows otherwise.

Just tried a DVD, and I can confirm this. It says, "Full", but isn't outputting that. Selecting Limited, then Full puts it back, and you can see a big difference.
post #27 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 PM

I have this problem as well, and 'hardsetting' it to RGB instead of Automatic doesn't appear to solve it for me. Quite annoying. Like the others have said here, you go to the menu and it says Full but is clearly not outputting Full anymore.
post #28 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Wow...

Question, how are you connecting your ps3 to your tv? Mine is through a yamaha receiver, all through hdmi. I confirmed that upon restart of the ps3 that I still have the darker black levels of the full option.

If this is true, then the problem may not be because of simply tv models, but maybe because of something else.

Video is sent through HDMI directly to the TV. When I refer to the "bug" I'm talking about the "hazy" menu after leaving a BD/DVD, and the menu still reading Full.

So when you apply Full, start a BD, and exit to the XMB it still looks darker than before? Have you confirmed that it's still full by turning it to limited and back?

edit: Oh, and what are your settings for RGB/YCrCb in BD/DVD playback? maybe I can try your settings and see if it makes a difference.
post #29 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I played around for a while earlier and it seems it doesn't matter what I do, my PS3 reverts back to Limited. It's happening for me when entering AND exiting though (PS3 games do it when exiting, everything else when entering).

I have a Samsung HLS4266W 42" DLP and I'm connecting via HDMI, using a Phillips HDMI cable from Walmart.
post #30 of 116 Old 05-24-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreeguy View Post

Video is sent through HDMI directly to the TV. When I refer to the "bug" I'm talking about the "hazy" menu after leaving a BD/DVD, and the menu still reading Full.

So when you apply Full, start a BD, and exit to the XMB it still looks darker than before? Have you confirmed that it's still full by turning it to limited and back?

edit: Oh, and what are your settings for RGB/YCrCb in BD/DVD playback? maybe I can try your settings and see if it makes a difference.

When I restart the ps3, it is the blacker level. I check by turning it to limiited & back. It's pretty obvious because the xmb screen is almost gray on limited.

I haven't tried just exiting a BD and seeing if it's the blacker level. I'll need to go home to check that.

Dont think the dvd settings will make a difference. Off the top of my head I dont know what it's set at. I do have it running at 1080p, no noise reduction, full or standard. I have the superwhite or whatever turned on. I left the 24hz thing to auto. I'll have to go home to confirm the setting sthough.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page