Help w/ PS3 and WMP11 as media center???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 79 Old 05-24-2007, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that several people have this problem so I thought I would start this thread.
Here is the situation.............
I have PS3 that recognizes windows media player 11 as a media center with my name but under the folders for music, pictures, videos, etc. there are no files. I have all my music loaded into WMP11 and it works fine. After trying to access the music folder and it says no files I get a message that says "A connection to the media center could not be established. Check connections to media center and network settings." Before I was not getting this message but there still were no files???? I have my WMP11 set up to share so I don't understand what the problem is. All my media is located on a my D: instead of the C: where the media player intially looks. Could that have something to do with it???????

PSN ID: Hoggie-wan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 11:40 AM

i had the exact same problem buddy. i also manually added the library files to search in my d drive with wmp11 installed on c. also got empty folders on ps3.
try rebooting the computer if you haven't done so already. once i did, everything started showing up...

hope this helps

Ulysses
post #3 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 11:54 AM

WMP does a search for all media files when you "add" the particular folder to the options. I let it run until it is completed.

You may want to try to rerun the search.
post #4 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 01:29 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses191 View Post

try rebooting the computer if you haven't done so already. once i did, everything started showing up...

Same here. None of my new files showed up on the PS3 till I rebooted Windows.

PSN: YstadYakuza
post #5 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I am not having any problems with the files in WMP its just they don't show up on PS3. Interestingly, I can select the photos videos and playlist folders on the PS3 and they open but there is no media, but when I try to open the music sub folder it thinks for a while and then says "A connection to the media center could not be established. Check connections to media center and network settings."

I have reinstalled media player, rebooted the computer, rebooted the ps3, checked to make sure sharing is on, my computer recognizes the ps3 and the ps3 recognizes my WMP.....BUT THERE IS NO #$^% MEDIA!!!

Also in my network settings the information page and when I check the connection it says the uNUP is unavailable???? This makes me think it is something wrong with the PS3. Any thoughts.........
I got my POTC movies today so at least I can enjoy those!

post #6 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

When you guys are rebooting what are you doing with the PS3 ie leaving it on, a certain menu.......?

post #7 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are you running a firewall?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #8 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, my firewall is on but under the exceptions the uNUP box is checked. You don't have to have remote desktop checked do you? Why is the PS3 saying uNUP is unavailable?

post #9 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not home right now to check for you..but for ha ha's.. turn your firewall off and see what happens.

post #10 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 01:51 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom420 View Post

When you guys are rebooting what are you doing with the PS3 ie leaving it on, a certain menu.......?

I just turned everything off last night and then back on this afternoon. Magically all the MP3s showed up. Yesterday only the WMA samples included with Windows and the JPEG samples would show up.

PSN: YstadYakuza
post #11 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post

I just turned everything off last night and then back on this afternoon. Magically all the MP3s showed up. Yesterday only the WMA samples included with Windows and the JPEG samples would show up.

I can't get WMA or JPEG to show up? I am thinking that it is something with PS3 since it says uNUP is unavailable when it is. At one point and time it flashed enabled and then back to unavailable on the network settings screen WTF???? My connection is 95% so thats not the problem.

post #12 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
What about all my CDs that I ripped using iTunes? They are AAC .m4a files. Am I going to have to re-rip all these as mp3? Please say no
post #13 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 02:05 PM

i was wondering why nothing was showing up on my ps3 as well while using wmp11. i checked where those two default songs were located on my comp that the ps3 does recognize and it's located in the "my documents" folder. maybe you guys should try that first, and if it works you can change the folder location where wmp11 searches for the files or you can even add folders.
post #14 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 02:06 PM

I'm pretty miffed right now. I got all excited about this when I read about it this morning, so I did the system update for my PS3, made sure everything in WMP was set up correctly, and voila! No problems at all! Got a few songs under my belt and it was all good. So I decide to see if I can get it to work on my 360 as well so I can play my WMA Lossless stuff. Hey, no problems there either!

However, after one full song on my 360 my PC restarted itself (?!) and I haven't been able to get it to work since. I tried re-installing WMP11, I tried installing (and subsequently uninstalling) Zune, nothing on either system after about a dozen reboots between the three machines. Anyone have any ideas?

PSN: Thrillho
XBL: Herald of Woe
post #15 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I think I might need to change where my WMP is searching for music. I changed the folder names to match what the PS3 have (ie Music vs My Music) but I forgot to change it in the media player (folder monitoring). I will go home here soon and I'll let you all know if that helps.

hiko 13
you got a ghost in the machine man!?!!?! just kiddin, that is really weird and sucks.

post #16 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Hope you're having better luck than I am right now, Venom, although I do find it quite funny that it was MS's machine that apparently caused the problem for me.

PSN: Thrillho
XBL: Herald of Woe
post #17 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 02:59 PM

I use Nero Media Home. It transcodes on the fly so I can watch my divx files.
post #18 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom420 View Post

Yes, my firewall is on but under the exceptions the uNUP box is checked. You don't have to have remote desktop checked do you? Why is the PS3 saying uNUP is unavailable?

Ok..I checked and you do not need UPnP on for wmp11 to stream content. I turned it off and it seemed to work fine..but for some reason it signed me out of the psn. So I would keep UPnP on anyway. How are you hooked up to the ps3..wired or wireless? I would turn on UPnP in your router settings to eliminate it causing you a problem. Also i never turned on remote desktop and everything seems fine now since I configured my firewall.

post #19 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to the homie on these boards, I am fully streaming off my XP + WMP 11

More than happy!
post #20 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Get this, there is still no pictures or music but all my videos which are in my picture folder show up. It was cool to watch some homemade movies but I need the music. How the hell can the videos work but not anything else. I am hooked up wireless and upun is turned on as far as I can tell.

post #21 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

did you go into the options of wmp11 and add the folder to share where your mp3's are stored?

post #22 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

GW smokey what did you do???

post #23 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Go to library/ more options/monitor folders/ add the folder manually where your mp3's are...also uncheck delete files from computer when deleted from library. This worked for me.

post #24 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

What about all my CDs that I ripped using iTunes? They are AAC .m4a files. Am I going to have to re-rip all these as mp3? Please say no

Updates: I have added a couple of codecs to allow WMP 11 to play AAC files.

Tag support (this allowed WMP 11 to add the iTunes folder):

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...t_Extender.htm

The AAC codec:

http://www.free-codecs.com/AAC_aacPl...n_download.htm

Works great on the computer, and I was able to add my iTunes folder to the library. The PS3 now can see this folder. However, the files come up as the dreaded "unsupported data"

My next search will be for a program to convert all the files in that folder to mp3.

I'll keep everyone posted. Please, if someone has a solution before I redo all those songs (over 2000), LMK!
Jason.
post #25 of 79 Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone figured out how to fix the problem of getting the message "There are no titles." when opening Folders (eg. "All Music") on the media center??? I have mp3s on WM11 but the PS3 cannot find ANY titles, despite what appears to be a good connection between the PS3 and PC.

THANKS
post #26 of 79 Old 05-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchi View Post

Has anyone figured out how to fix the problem of getting the message "There are no titles." when opening Folders (eg. "All Music") on the media center??? I have mp3s on WM11 but the PS3 cannot find ANY titles, despite what appears to be a good connection between the PS3 and PC.

THANKS

Make sure you are in the right menu in the XMB. If you are in Video, you will see folders for music, but there will be no titles.
post #27 of 79 Old 05-26-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I had this problem once..make sure you are in the xmb category relative to what you want to see.

Ex. If you want to see music make sure you are in music category portion of the xmb.
Ex. If you want to see video make sure you are in video category portion of the xmb.
Ex. If you want to see photo's make sure you are in the photo's category portion of the xmb.

post #28 of 79 Old 05-26-2007, 06:27 AM

I suggest trying orb, I couldn't get wmp11 to work at all and orb worked first try.
post #29 of 79 Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 AM

First i installed FW1.8. Then I downloaded WMP 11. Looks like all my music that was in my iTunes library is alive and kicking in the WMP library. However, when I select "media sharing" in WMP nothing shows up. I have reinstalled once and rebooted both PS3 and my XP PC. Of course I tried Sony tech support to see if there is some dialog box i need to check or uncheck but they offered no support and referred me to Linksys. I tried Linksys and they suggest MS. I called MS and they refused to help and referred me to Dell....

I have a linksys wireless router (WRT54G) and have a pretty solid connection with UpnP available and a Nat type 2 enabled.

If i cant get WMP to work should I try this ORB or Nero Home? Anyone have any ideas???
post #30 of 79 Old 05-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Try the demo version of twonkymedia, it works pretty well. I do get a lot of video corrupted and 800XXXXX errors, but mp3 , pictures work great. Also works from my Infrant X6 NAS server
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page