Silent Hill 5 interview ... if PS3 sells, it could be exclusive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another good article about a companies reasoning on exclusivity.

Quote:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/05/30/...-be-exclusive/

Finally, it looks like Silent Hill 5 is bursting forth from the loins of Konami and scaring the bejeezus out of people. No, we don't have any screenshots and yes, we made all of that up, but we do have an interview with one of the creative minds behind the game. Masashi Tsuboyama, chief director, answers some questions in the latest Electric Shock magazine. Here are the points of interest:

Konami and the team behind Silent Hill have looked at the current consoles and concluded they all have limitations that hamper their ideas for the game and delay progress. Except the PlayStation 3.
No multiplatform plans as of yet. But the sales of PS3 are slow so they may have to reconsider later on down the road if things appear dismal. Which of course means delayed progress and not taking advantage of the PS3's power.
Tsuboyama claims Blu-ray will be a very necessary asset in their development of the game.
The PS3, he says, is tough to work with, but when they get used to it, the processing power will be far beyond the other consoles.

Keep an eye out at E3, as Tsuboyama seemed to clam up about the game when asked if anything would be shown. Perhaps he's being a tease, but we'd like to believe that the rumors regarding the game's progress are true. The game isn't a system seller, so we expect either a timed exclusive or simultaneous multiplatform release with the 360 -- with the game smartly built originally on the PS3. Keep your fingers crossed, and keep those mannequins out of dimly lit apartment buildings!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Well the PS3 selling poorly (As a reason for 360 versions of previous Sony third party exclusives) has been used time after time so this is not really anything new.

Anyone know what the attach rate for the PS3 is these days? I wonder if the number of folks using the system as a BR player only is having an effect on developers.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #3 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Tsuboyama claims Blu-ray will be a very necessary asset in their development of the game.
The PS3, he says, is tough to work with, but when they get used to it, the processing power will be far beyond the other consoles.

If they truly believe this, then maybe they should wait till the install base is greater. Its not like this game will be available before 08 anyway.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #4 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

Well the PS3 selling poorly (As a reason for 360 versions of previous Sony third party exclusives) has been used time after time so this is not really anything new.

Anyone know what the attach rate for the PS3 is these days? I wonder if the number of folks using the system as a BR player only is having an effect on developers.

Frank you constantly bring that crap, over and over again. So what if the PS3 is selling ****** at this point in its life time. It has been out for 7 months. It has managed to sell 3.4-4 million with a software attach rate of 5-1 So how is that bad? What we need is a price cut, and more games which are coming. From now untill the end of 07. < SOME GREAT GAMES TOO.

Either way, no one is going anywere! SH5 exclusive or not, will still sell good on all platforms. Now they only focus on 360 & PS3 since SH5 will not apear on Wii. Yet I don't see anyone bitching. The Wii sure outsold PS3 ( but look at the price difference ) the Wii is great, but no where near PC
post #5 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY View Post

It has managed to sell 3.4-4 million with a software attach rate of 5-1

5-1? I don't think so. I remember reading the 360 had an attach rate of 5.2 (I've also heard 4.6), where as the PS3 was around 1.6.

Anyway, I could see Konami releasing the game on 360, and then a "better" version on PS3 just like they did last gen with SH2. However, if SH5 sucks like the last 2, then no one will even care.
post #6 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

It's a catch 22. Without a bunch of major exclusive games worth buying how will they drive sales? But how will they attract devs that will create those games without driving sales? They should have made GoW2 for the PS3 instead of the outgoing system and Insomniac should have had Ratchet and Clank ready 1st and not Resistance. Namco should have had a new Tekken instead of Ridge Racer (even if it was Dark Resistance with upgraded visuals).

I just bought one and bought 5 Bluray movies and the only game I wanted was Tekken: DR from the PS Store... As far as I'm concerned it is a Bluray player that can play games right now not the other way around. I won't be buying an actual game until Ninja Gaiden Sigma comes out. I will say that I am looking forward to Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and Ratchet and Clank.
post #7 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

^ These are your opinions and takes on the situation. See for me, the PS3 works as all in one. From Constant PS3 gaming ( OBLIVION TAKES A WHILE TO BEAT ) to Blu Ray, to just about everything I use this thing daily since Lunch in 06. I have Linux on it, I got VLC, TVerstity, PS2 games ( a lot of them ) not to mention the other 4 I own for PS3. Oh and the Software attach rate is higher than what you think on PS3 since everyone is forced to buy either Resistance, Marvel, F1, Motorstorm, Oblivion, SC, and FEAR < not a big selection if you ask me. So this is why we need more great games. RS6 Vegas would be a start, and then all from there. Oh did I mention that both Tekken and Calling all Cars are great online? Did I? I mean Tekken is good for 20 ( but we all knew that ) and calling all cars is great new addition to pure fun casual gaming... Just my 2cents?!
post #8 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 AM

Silent Hill 2 and 4 were released on the Xbox. I don't think it will be any different for SH5. I'd love to see it be a PS3 exclusive but I doubt that will ever happen.

We should be happy that the PS3 is the lead platform with Blu-ray being "necessary".
post #9 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just more business crap.

Just build it on 360, then port to PS3.
post #10 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Just more business crap.

Exclusives usually are better games. The PS3 version wouldn't be as good, and I'm pretty sure Silent Hill was always built on the Playstation platform and then ported to other platforms before, so it's a big deal.
post #11 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Just more business crap.

What BS. Devs shouldn't EVER appeal to the lowest common denominator. They said the PS3's processing power goes "far beyond other consoles", why not use that power to their advantage? The "lesser consoles" deserve dumbed down ports if they can't compete with the PS3's power.
post #12 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
See, the problem is that I haven't seen one instance of this secret, mysterious, power that is supposedly hidden within the PS3.

From the multiplatform titles that I've seen, such as Armored Core, the 360 version always seems to perform and look better than the PS3 version.

If most of these titles were built from the ground up on 360, then someone can correct me.
post #13 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeslam View Post

What BS. Devs shouldn't EVER appeal to the lowest common denominator.

It worked fine last gen, and every gen before, no?

Like it or not, devs will always appeal to the largest install base. They need to make money, and the more they make, the more games we get.

The question is what are they going to use Blu-ray for, because that's the PS3's real advantage lies in exclusive titles.
post #14 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeslam View Post

What BS. Devs shouldn't EVER appeal to the lowest common denominator. They said the PS3's processing power goes "far beyond other consoles", why not use that power to their advantage? The "lesser consoles" deserve dumbed down ports if they can't compete with the PS3's power.

Maybe in a world where devs don't want to get paid
post #15 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Just more business crap.

The problem with that assumption is that you're assuming that all game developers are only out to make money and that they dont care about quality. If they deem blu-ray necessary and will have drawbacks using the other systems infrastructure, why would they still develope the game on that other system? If they are concerned about thier quality they will produce the game originally for the best results then port to the other box. Just because EA doesnt care about their quality and image doesnt mean that the rest of the developement world doesnt either.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #16 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See, the problem is that I haven't seen one instance of this secret, mysterious, power that is supposedly hidden within the PS3.

From the multiplatform titles that I've seen, such as Armored Core, the 360 version always seems to perform and look better than the PS3 version.

If most of these titles were built from the ground up on 360, then someone can correct me.

Thats a bunch of BULL and you know it too dude. Oblivion, plays, runs, and looks better on PS3. Now lets see, why would it matter anyway to you though?
post #17 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I also think the "PS3 is not selling well." argument is a bit shaky.
3M units sold in 6 months projected into the future is 9M sold in 18 months, if no improvement occurs.
And that 9M number tracks very well the competition.

This being said, I do hope they take some risks with Silent Hill. The last one was a lazy job. The one before that was Silent Hill 2 with more of everything.
In fact, the series has been stale since Silent Hill 2.

They need to give Silent Hill the Resident Evil treatment. A revival effort.
post #18 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

the ps3 is selling well enough (which is pretty poorly) given the lack of hard hitting games. If this were september, and we're seeing these craptastic numbers, there is a serious problem.

Sony pay me 10 beeeelion dollars to plant blu-ray seeeeds.
post #19 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think the PS3 is "not selling well", it's just that it's

a. Not selling as well as expected

b. Not selling well enough to catch up with the larger install bases of the competition

c. Not selling based on it's abilities as a game console

Devs tend to frown of things like that. If you are a third-party dev, why pour time, money and resources into a project the least amount of people are going to play?
post #20 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Yep, which is why (at least initially) most 3rd party companies will make multiplatform games in this generation. Continued weak sales will mean they'll shift their focus more and more to the wii & 360.

Sony pay me 10 beeeelion dollars to plant blu-ray seeeeds.
post #21 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

I'm still waiting for Sony to step up and put out a kick azz game for the PS3. Multiplatform ports are her to stay as long as developers and publishers insist on making money.
post #22 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Making great games for the system is what will make the install base larger. Someone has to step up to the plate.

It's pretty basic.
post #23 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 PM

NexGen Wars and Video Game Charts both have the PS3 sales at 3.2-3.3 million, in 6 months. That's pretty good, I'd say, and I could definately see 7 million by the beginning of 2008. I think Tenkaipalm summed it up pretty well, it's not that it's not selling, it just lacks a selection of next-gen games....wounding it's ability as a console. Most people out there are still content with the PS2 and haven't chosen to upgrade yet (it's still got great games coming out, GoW2, Odin's Sphere, etc.).

The only thing greater than my ego is...my greatness.
post #24 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 PM

PS3 is NOT selling well, it gets outsold 2:1 or worse by xbox360 and I'm not even gonna mention the Wii which wees(pun intended lol) all over Sony's NPD numbers. No 3rd party will make exclusives for a platform with the smallest install base unless Sony ponies up a ton of $$$(problem is they're losing billions on the hardware and will get outbid by M$). Cell, RSX and Blu-ray are nice PR buzzwords but if the system isn't selling they mean nothing. Believe it or not publishers are out to make money not please fanboys.
post #25 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2792 View Post

PS3 is NOT selling well, it gets outsold 2:1 or worse by xbox360

Nice claim, not proven by any data...

As far as the Wii selling better, yes, that's obvious. It's less than half the price, so it is bound to sell better.
post #26 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRALFAZ View Post

I'm still waiting for Sony to step up and put out a kick azz game for the PS3. Multiplatform ports are her to stay as long as developers and publishers insist on making money.

We are getting some kick ass games..These are all exclusive comming out this year....

Lair
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk
Haze
Rachet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted Drakes Fortune
Eight Days
Folklore
Socom: Confrontation

The wii has maybe some games comming out this year:
Pokemon battle revolution
Metroid Prime 3
Battalion Wars 2
Project Hammer

I know Xbox 360 has comming:
Halo 3
Bioshock

I am just listing the exclusives.....the PS3 will go good after September...and do not forget PS3 Home.

Playstation Network Name: Aiphanes
Warhawk Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Resistance Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Folding@home Team 56396

Knights of Halfbros Team STATS
post #27 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PS3 is NOT selling well, it gets outsold 2:1 or worse by xbox360 and I'm not even gonna mention the Wii which wees(pun intended lol) all over Sony's NPD numbers. No 3rd party will make exclusives for a platform with the smallest install base unless Sony ponies up a ton of $$$(problem is they're losing billions on the hardware and will get outbid by M$). Cell, RSX and Blu-ray are nice PR buzzwords but if the system isn't selling they mean nothing. Believe it or not publishers are out to make money not please fanboys.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #28 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

Nice claim, not proven by any data...

As far as the Wii selling better, yes, that's obvious. It's less than half the price, so it is bound to sell better.

Really now?

April 2007

Nintendo DS 471k
Wii 360k
PlayStation 2 194k
PlayStation Portable 183k
Xbox 360 174k
Game Boy Advance 84k
PlayStation 3 82k
GameCube 13k

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156701
post #29 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkaipalm View Post

5-1? I don't think so. I remember reading the 360 had an attach rate of 5.2 (I've also heard 4.6), where as the PS3 was around 1.6.

Attach rates go up with time, so quoting number from one year after the 360 launch versus the launch numbers of the PS3 when consoles were going straight to eBay is dishonest.

Quote:

In January, the average number of games owned by a PlayStation 3 owner was 2.7, while the average Wii owner had 2.2 games in his (or her) library. Only one month later, these numbers have jumped quite drastically to 3.4 and 3.6 respectively.

http://www.psu.com/node/9000

Now playing: Watch Dogs

Recently Finished: Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS

PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

post #30 of 130 Old 05-31-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really now?

April 2007

Nintendo DS 471k
Wii 360k
PlayStation 2 194k
PlayStation Portable 183k
Xbox 360 174k
Game Boy Advance 84k
PlayStation 3 82k
GameCube 13k

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156701

Oh sure, you can find a time period or a geographical area that will prove any point you like.

Let me try...

Quote:

PS3 is selling four times better than Xbox 360. Proof:

- PS3: 8,659
- Xbox 360: 2,026

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/25/ja...e-sandwich-ed/

But seriously, what I posted earlier seems more reliable:

Quote:

3M units sold in 6 months projected into the future is 9M sold in 18 months, if no improvement occurs.
And that 9M number tracks very well the competition.

In fact, it's uncanny how the first months of the PS3 launch resemble the first months of the PS2 launch.

As someone else said, if they don't catch up on the competition after their big games are released, there will be real reasons to worry. Until then, it's a pointless "my opinion is more valid than your opinion" debate.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page