Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 83 Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfee View Post

what's the consensus as far as DLP's? I've got a Mitsu 57-732 and I love it. Am I really missing something by not having an LCD or plasma display?

DLP is great, another technology superior to LCD as far as I'm concerned. The problem with DLP is they're not flat (big woopdy doo-da) and you have to buy new bulbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 Old 06-04-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

I have a plasma? Wow wish someone had told me that because the last time I checked I have a Barco Data 701s CRT projector, dunno how that Plasma got by me. I've seen Westinghouse TV's in action, the color is washed out and the blacks are cloudy to say the least they look like what they are: a terrible off-brand LCD. I'd take the accurate vibrant color, bright whites without any yellow tint, true blacks, and absolute zero motion blur of my old 32" Sharp SD CRT before I gave all that up just for HD. HD is wonderful but not when you don't have the other (read: more important) factors of picture quality to go with it. O btw I love how everyone is like "OMGZ I HAVE 1080p's on my awesome super 37" Westy w00T! It is da 1337!", if you can see a noticeable difference between 1080p and 720p on a 37" TV then you must be sitting about 3 feet from the thing. I really pity your retinas.

LMAO
post #33 of 83 Old 06-04-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Try a
Rear projection CRT
Toshiba 65H83
LOL

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #34 of 83 Old 06-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfee View Post

what's the consensus as far as DLP's? I've got a Mitsu 57-732 and I love it. Am I really missing something by not having an LCD or plasma display?

I have a Samsung 5687 DLP and couldn't be happier.

PSN ID = iambroke
post #35 of 83 Old 06-04-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY View Post

LMAO

Weren't you the one just telling me to elaborate on what I said? Or do you just find it funny that I've accurately described your piece of crap no-name LCD that you unfortunately have purchased and now see the need to defend your POS Westy?
post #36 of 83 Old 06-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCASE11260 View Post

The best LCD right now is the samsung 4665f it is right on par with any of the plasmas!! This will be your best option if your a gamer!!

that's the lcd I have and I'm extremely happy with it, esp. with gaming.
post #37 of 83 Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have recently owned within the past 6 months and gamed on a Pio 5070HD plasma, Sony 36" HD CRT, and a Sony 50"xbr1.

Of course the CRT has a great picture, but it lacks the big screen which is very important. Gaming on a small screen is just not the same experience.

The xbr 1 was great, but after I saw the plasma I had to take it back.

I never bought an lcd because I couldn't stand the picture. And as a gamer I will not put up with lag or ghosting.

I game for hours with the plasma and don't have burn in. It was more of a problem with older plasma's. Get a Panny for a better price performance ratio.
post #38 of 83 Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 PM

Getting a Plasma or LCD is only a matter of taste. The newer LCDs have very good contrast and PQ is comparable to Plasma.

Personally, I like LCD because my family can see photos on the big screen using the PS3 and my HTPC. But if you are thinking of a big screen, Plasma is the way to go. You get bigger bang for the buck.
post #39 of 83 Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

I have a plasma? Wow wish someone had told me that because the last time I checked I have a Barco Data 701s CRT projector, dunno how that Plasma got by me. I've seen Westinghouse TV's in action, the color is washed out and the blacks are cloudy to say the least they look like what they are: a terrible off-brand LCD. I'd take the accurate vibrant color, bright whites without any yellow tint, true blacks, and absolute zero motion blur of my old 32" Sharp SD CRT before I gave all that up just for HD. HD is wonderful but not when you don't have the other (read: more important) factors of picture quality to go with it. O btw I love how everyone is like "OMGZ I HAVE 1080p's on my awesome super 37" Westy w00T! It is da 1337!", if you can see a noticeable difference between 1080p and 720p on a 37" TV then you must be sitting about 3 feet from the thing. I really pity your retinas.

Sounds like someone really doesn't like Westinghouse/westinghouse owners......

I don't understand why so many people are "poor quality! crap! fuzzy, muddy, horrible, off-color image!".....maybe they're looking at in store units only? (that are calibrated very badly? I've seen a couple Westy displays at best buy...UGH!)

I don't know what Westinghouse displays you've looked at....but the one I use has suited my needs just fine. Not everyone can afford a $2500+ display. I'll stick with my "terrible off-brand LCD".
post #40 of 83 Old 06-05-2007, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon72 View Post

Sounds like someone really doesn't like Westinghouse/westinghouse owners......

I don't understand why so many people are "poor quality! crap! fuzzy, muddy, horrible, off-color image!".....maybe they're looking at in store units only? (that are calibrated very badly? I've seen a couple Westy displays at best buy...UGH!)

I don't know what Westinghouse displays you've looked at....but the one I use has suited my needs just fine. Not everyone can afford a $2500+ display. I'll stick with my "terrible off-brand LCD".

Exactly my point! Everything he said was nothing more tha pure BS right out his ass. On top of that I cant recall that my screen has a washed out picture or anything mentioned. It has a superb picture, and for sure can stand against the best from SONY and PANY for 1/3 the price...
post #41 of 83 Old 06-05-2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:

Exactly my point! Everything he said was nothing more tha pure BS right out his ass. On top of that I cant recall that my screen has a washed out picture or anything mentioned. It has a superb picture, and for sure can stand against the best from SONY and PANY for 1/3 the price...

No everything I said was my god's honest opinion, everything you have said thus far has been a personal attack on me.
post #42 of 83 Old 06-05-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

You're right though, and just because your opinion attacked pretty much the best non brand TV money can buy. Thats all... Some of it was BS man, and you know it. Since I cant recall BB having Westy looking good as it does in my house.
post #43 of 83 Old 06-05-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:

You're right though, and just because your opinion attacked pretty much the best non brand TV money can buy. Thats all... Some of it was BS man, and you know it. Since I cant recall BB having Westy looking good as it does in my house.

You know just because I personally don't like Westy doesn't mean you have to get pissed off and personally attack me especially since at no point did I attack Westinghouse owners. If you like the TV man that's awesome good for you, I personally do not. That's life people disagree you don't get pissy and go for the personal insults because someone thinks differently on something than you do. Hell I wouldn't care if someone started bashing CRT projectors because of how annoying they are to set-up, they're big as hell, require a fair bit of work before you can even feed it a signal, then require convergence, then requires an absoutely dark (or as close as you can get to it) room.
post #44 of 83 Old 06-05-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Fair enough dude!
post #45 of 83 Old 06-05-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Smokey--You really need to lay off the caffeine, man.

FWIW, I've got a Samsung Hl-S5087W, and I love it. Mounting my TV on my wall was not a requirement, so the 16" depth is not an issue (and, it certainly still seems thin after the 35" flat tube Toshiba it replaced).

The picture is amazing, I get two HDMI inputs, and I don't have to worry about ghosting, trails, image retention, etc.

I have seen, on rare occasion, some slight rainbow effect, but only when watching 480i B&W movies.

I've not had any problem with lag, really. And, now that the PS3 upscales PS1/2 games to 1080p, I'm not sure that's really an issue, anymore, anyway.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #46 of 83 Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

not all LCD's are alike you know? there are even LCD projection TV's that can look amazing (Sony XBR 1080p sets for example). i do agree that Plasma's will offer a more natural and overall better look. but there are some LCD's out there that can offer great PQ and you will never have to worry about burn-in.

That's because the SXRD is LCoS, not LCD, and they look a lot better than any plasma you can get within the same price range. If your talking PS3 and Blu-Ray, your really want a true 1080p set with a high quality picture.
post #47 of 83 Old 06-05-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post

The Sony XBR2/3 are SO SO SO overrated. I have a Samsung LN-S4095d, it's an amazing set. It's the main contender with the XBR3 line (not including the new panels that just came out from Samsung). The black levels aren't on plasma levels, but they're great for any other LCD, color saturation is simply fantastic, 1080p resolution, nice controls for adjusting your picture, no burn-in issues... This is a battle that's been faught for years. Head on over to the Plasma and LCD forums. You'll find multiple, 100-page long threads. You have to pick what is better for you, however many gamers choose LCD over plasma due to burn-in issues and (usually) higher resolution. If black level is of utmost importance, and you're on a budget, go plasma.

That is SOOOO wrong. The SXRDs and the 1080p Samsung DLPs look so much better than the LCDs, especially on things with fast-motion such as action movies, sports, and games. As I said in the the previous post, you can also get some nice looking plasmas, but not in the same price range.
post #48 of 83 Old 06-05-2007, 07:33 PM

Get LCD 1080p plasma are too expensive

Here is my new setup

From the top

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/6...5280010fo1.jpg

post #49 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

not all LCD's are alike you know? there are even LCD projection TV's that can look amazing (Sony XBR 1080p sets for example). i do agree that Plasma's will offer a more natural and overall better look. but there are some LCD's out there that can offer great PQ and you will never have to worry about burn-in.

Sony's XBR rear projection TV's are LCoS (or SXRD, as Sony calls it), not LCD. It's a big difference. Many, many people prefer SXRD over lcd AND plasma. If you don't plan on hanging your TV on the wall, please consider the SXRD TV's.

If you've had half as much fun reading this post as I've had writing it, well then, I've had twice as much fun writing this post as you've had reading it.
post #50 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post

Get LCD 1080p plasma are too expensive

I got my 42" Panasonic plasma for $1,200. I think my parents got a 37" Sony LCD for their bedroom for about $900.
post #51 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 AM

In my opinion, Dlps are embarrasing: When you stand up or move from side to side the brightness level changes...like old school rear projectors (not as noticable of course). I have no idea why anyone would buy one other than for the price...

I'm sure every DLP owner will diagree with me...
post #52 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventus View Post

In my opinion, Dlps are embarrasing: When you stand up or move from side to side the brightness level changes...like old school rear projectors (not as noticable of course). I have no idea why anyone would buy one other than for the price...

Because if it's for personal use and multiple people won't be using it at the same time then it's fine.
post #53 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a plasma and the only issues I have while gaming are with DARK games.

For those I have to crank brightness, and there's always some static image that gets IR'd on my screen after even 10 minutes of play(granted it'll be present but the severity of the IR won't get horrible until after many hours of play).

Sure it goes away after 1 to 20 minutes of TV, but it's a nuisance and makes me think twice about gaming.

If little things like worrying about getting a scratch on your new car's door panel while in a parking lot bother you, this will definitely bother you.

Perfect example is Forza 2 for the Xbox 360. I've been playing it constantly with minimal TV breaks to cool down my pixels since it came out.

I had a nicely imprinted Laps, placing, and timer boxes/text on the corners of my screen.

Was forced to turn them off in game for a while to continue playing without issues. I refused to put the controller down for TV time

And if someone interrupts you during a game, whether it be a phone call or what not. You have to change the source to a TV signal, or something not static while the game is paused.... or turn it off completely.

Then there's the heat...

But I balanced my priorities like this. I watch far more movies than I play games. Movies on Plasma are superb. Absolutely superb with the window effect and the pop. Gaming is also great looking, but it has its tradeoffs.

These aren't TV's you can just leave on while you run to the supermarket or fall asleep to at night. You'll wake up in the morning with some infomercial screen IR'd into your set.

59 Blu-rays and counting...
post #54 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post

I have a plasma and the only issues I have while gaming are with DARK games.

For those I have to crank brightness, and there's always some static image that gets IR'd on my screen after even 10 minutes of play(granted it'll be present but the severity of the IR won't get horrible until after many hours of play).

Sure it goes away after 1 to 20 minutes of TV, but it's a nuisance and makes me think twice about gaming.

If little things like worrying about getting a scratch on your new car's door panel while in a parking lot bother you, this will definitely bother you.

Perfect example is Forza 2 for the Xbox 360. I've been playing it constantly with minimal TV breaks to cool down my pixels since it came out.

I had a nicely imprinted Laps, placing, and timer boxes/text on the corners of my screen.

Was forced to turn them off in game for a while to continue playing without issues. I refused to put the controller down for TV time

And if someone interrupts you during a game, whether it be a phone call or what not. You have to change the source to a TV signal, or something not static while the game is paused.... or turn it off completely.

Then there's the heat...

But I balanced my priorities like this. I watch far more movies than I play games. Movies on Plasma are superb. Absolutely superb with the window effect and the pop. Gaming is also great looking, but it has its tradeoffs.

These aren't TV's you can just leave on while you run to the supermarket or fall asleep to at night. You'll wake up in the morning with some infomercial screen IR'd into your set.

What brand and model?

I've had no issues with my 700u Panasonic playing Forza for 4 hours straight.

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
post #55 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

What brand and model?

My panasonic doesn't have residual imaging either...

My parents' 42" panasonic plasma doesn't do that with games or the replaytv menu being stuck there for several hours....and they got theirs less than a year when plasmas first hit the market. I believe they paid about $6,000 or $8,000 for it then...and that was with a discount.
post #56 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

What brand and model?

Sammy HP-S4253.

Brightness was at about 70%, with CR at about 90% I believe.

(Badly in need of calibration )

I've heard mixed reports of Samsung's being more prone to IR than others, but it fit my budget.

ETA.. it's only with select images.

White on black... and that's it.

post #57 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

After a little worried checking, I realized I need to disable this torch mode I've been playing on and just use a standard /w game mode activated to alleviate some of the IR issues.

I'll see how that goes...

post #58 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Rear Projection is AWESOME for gaming
post #59 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventus View Post

Don't own a DLP (LCoS actually), but I still disagree with you. The brightness on newer ones do fine side to side, you only lose brightness in the vertically direction (ie, standing up while close to it).

Only price? You mean that I should have to pay twice as much for the same stunning picture? I don't need to hang it on the wall, I don't want lots of glare, and I don't want motion blur, but I do want high quality picture. The choice becomes very obvious. If I wanted to spend double, then there are some nice plasmas, but then again why wouldn't I go with front projection LCoS?
post #60 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

I got my 42" Panasonic plasma for $1,200. I think my parents got a 37" Sony LCD for their bedroom for about $900.

You bought a 42" panasonic 1080p plasma for $1,200 I highly doubt that. Lets keep it real
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page