post #61 of 83 Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post

You bought a 42" panasonic 1080p plasma for $1,200 I highly doubt that. Lets keep it real

Please indicate where I had claimed I got a 1080p plasma for $1,200. I have a 480p/720p/1080i 42" panasonic plasma. I got it in November for $1,200.

My parents got their sony lcd 32" (I thought it was 37", but was mistaken) before I got my TV (I think back in September or October).

But, if you'd like to bring up the discussion of 1080p plasma vs lcd prices, here's a reality check:
50" Panasonic Plasma 1080p - MSRP $3,500:
Panasonic's website for TH-50PZ700U

46" Sony LCD 1080p - MSRP $3,900 (on sale for $3,600 from Sony):
Sony's website for 46" BRAVIA® XBR® series

Now, I chose the top of the line model for those particular sizes. Did I attempt to look for cheaper at elsewhere? No. Just showing what you would expect to pay if you buy it straight from the manufacturer at retail price.

EDIT:
Decided to look on Amazon.
TH-50PZ700U - 50" panasonic plasma 1080p:
link at Amazon
KDL-46XBR2 - 46" sony lcd 1080p (not the same model I linked above, it's one model down):
link at Amazon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post

I have a plasma and the only issues I have while gaming are with DARK games.

For those I have to crank brightness, and there's always some static image that gets IR'd on my screen after even 10 minutes of play(granted it'll be present but the severity of the IR won't get horrible until after many hours of play).

Sure it goes away after 1 to 20 minutes of TV, but it's a nuisance and makes me think twice about gaming.

If little things like worrying about getting a scratch on your new car's door panel while in a parking lot bother you, this will definitely bother you.

Perfect example is Forza 2 for the Xbox 360. I've been playing it constantly with minimal TV breaks to cool down my pixels since it came out.

I had a nicely imprinted Laps, placing, and timer boxes/text on the corners of my screen.

Was forced to turn them off in game for a while to continue playing without issues. I refused to put the controller down for TV time

And if someone interrupts you during a game, whether it be a phone call or what not. You have to change the source to a TV signal, or something not static while the game is paused.... or turn it off completely.

Then there's the heat...

But I balanced my priorities like this. I watch far more movies than I play games. Movies on Plasma are superb. Absolutely superb with the window effect and the pop. Gaming is also great looking, but it has its tradeoffs.

These aren't TV's you can just leave on while you run to the supermarket or fall asleep to at night. You'll wake up in the morning with some infomercial screen IR'd into your set.

exactly why I did not choose the PLASMA over LCD + the budget. However, I was always aware that Plasmas were made for more of a theater experience and dark rooms, vs LCD for brighter rooms and gaming.

Hence why I argued that LCD vs Plasma in the first place. Sure I love the way Plasma works, but it does not suite my CONSTANT WINDOWS XP @ 1080p + PS3 all day long.

It will be like a whole WINDOWS DESKTOP IR'd on the PLASMA.... Until shut off.
post #63 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

My panasonic doesn't have residual imaging either...

My parents' 42" panasonic plasma doesn't do that with games or the replaytv menu being stuck there for several hours....and they got theirs less than a year when plasmas first hit the market. I believe they paid about $6,000 or $8,000 for it then...and that was with a discount.

Radicilous. Waste IMO, for that I can have 4 x 1080p Spanned across DUAL GTX 8800's... for a QUAD 1080 DESKTOP.

Still spend less on 37x4@1080p Desktop.

Impressive though how much tech went down in price.
post #64 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 AM

I recently purchased the Samsung 5265F and have a 60GB PS3 connected via HDMI and could not be happier. The experience is simply amazing. Now if I could just get some good games....................

Panasonic 58PZ800U
Denon 3808CI
Klipsch RF-82 System
Xbox 360 Elite via HDMI
PS3 60Gig via HDMI
Motorolla 3416 III via Component through Insight
post #65 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

What brand and model?

I've had no issues with my 700u Panasonic playing Forza for 4 hours straight.

Interestingly enough..... I went home last night, and toned down my CR and Brightness to a minimal level, then popped on Game Mode to brighten the screen up to a similar brightness as Torch mode.

Did a little experiment by pausing the screen.

5 minutes - no IR.
10 minutes - no IR
20 minutes - no IR

I didn't want to wait any longer because I was getting bored waiting for results.

Who woulda thought the game mode actually worked for games ?

Either way I'm happy now as I can paint my cars in Forza without worry of getting the menu bars IR'd.

59 Blu-rays and counting...
post #66 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

That is SOOOO wrong. The SXRDs and the 1080p Samsung DLPs look so much better than the LCDs, especially on things with fast-motion such as action movies, sports, and games. As I said in the the previous post, you can also get some nice looking plasmas, but not in the same price range.

Are you insane? Did you even read my post? I'm referring to the XBR3 LCD LINE FROM SONY, NOT DLP MONITORS. And Yes, most high-end LCD monitors can project an identical performance (in terms of fast motion) to DLP displays, and often times better color accuracy. I'm talking XBR, 95/96/61F series.

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
post #67 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post

Are you insane? Did you even read my post? I'm referring to the XBR3 LCD LINE FROM SONY, NOT DLP MONITORS. And Yes, most high-end LCD monitors can project an identical performance (in terms of fast motion) to DLP displays, and often times better color accuracy. I'm talking XBR, 95/96/61F series.

Yes, I read it, but obviously you didn't read mine since I'm saying the SXRD and DLP ARE BETTER THAN THE LCD. The LCD is not identical performance for fast motion and the colors are not better. Not to mention that the LCD costs more!

But you can hang it on a wall.
post #68 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Panny 50PH9UK plasma and absolutely love it. I don't have any games for my PS3, but I'll game for (at most) 2-3 hours in one sitting on my HTPC and I'll get a little IR for 5-20 minutes, then it's gone. The IR is not noticeable, though, unless I put my eyes within 1 foot of the monitor and really look closely in the area where I know there was a static image.

Today's plasmas are no more prone to IR/burn in than CRTs. I even had several LCDs whose owners manuals indicated not to leave static images or risk IR/burn in. For picture quality, good plasmas cannot be matched by LCDs for the most part. Throw in screen uniformity/unevenness issues, stuck pixels, off angle viewing and refresh rates and LCDs just aren't there yet. I initially wanted an LCD and went through the following sets before finally keeping my plasma: Vizio GV47, Sharp AQUOS, Sony XBR2.
post #69 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 12:57 PM

Does anybody have an opinion on the Panasonic TH-50PX77U? I have a PS3 and I want to get the best PQ out of my plasma, without having to pay the high prices for the new 1080p plasmas. I have heard that once you get to 50 inches, you have a hard time distinguishing between PQ on 720p and 1080p, is this correct? With the recent amount of 1080p plasmas ready to invade the market, this particular plasma seems to being coming down into my price range. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #70 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHawk0 View Post

Does anybody have an opinion on the Panasonic TH-50PX77U? I have a PS3 and I want to get the best PQ out of my plasma, without having to pay the high prices for the new 1080p plasmas. I have heard that once you get to 50 inches, you have a hard time distinguishing between PQ on 720p and 1080p, is this correct? With the recent amount of 1080p plasmas ready to invade the market, this particular plasma seems to being coming down into my price range. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

The 7 series is getting very good reviews.

Regarding 1080p, it all comes down to distance and visual acuity. I have 20/20 and cannot see any difference between 1080p and 720p at about 4 feet or greater from the monitor. All things being equal, which actually is seldom the case, the only thing 1080 offers is greater sharpness, but as I mentioned, you can't tell the difference once you reach a certain distance, which is usually farther than most people sit from the monitors. Now if the 1080 set does other things better like scaling, contrast, etc, then it's not so easy. I'd get the 720 now and in 5-10 years when you're getting ready to replace the current one go with 1080 - by that time, the early adopter penalty will be gone.
post #71 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the response. I have narrowed my plasma wish list down to the Pioneer PDP-5070HD and the aforementioned Panasonic. I will do a little more research and make my decision. Thanks
post #72 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Thanks for the response. I have narrowed my plasma wish list down to the Pioneer PDP-5070HD and the aforementioned Panasonic. I will do a little more research and make my decision. Thanks

The new pio 5080 is out and can be had for the same price as the 5070 from what I hear..I would check into that also.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #73 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 06:25 PM

Thank you also...I will definitely look into it.
post #74 of 83 Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I think plasma looks better, but I prefer LCD because it puts out less heat (plasma really heats up the room when on for a long time, makes me turn up my AC) and smaller chance of burn-in occurring.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #75 of 83 Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 AM

Every time I enter one of these TV topics here in this part of the forum, there is *always* someone bashing the XBR2/3 Bravias. Kinda funny.

By the way, is there *anyone* who is actually using their plasma as a computer monitor? I mean, is it realistically possible to do so and not expect any type of image retention with the "latest and greatest" plasmas that everyone keeps mentioning that are no longer prone to the issue? Since the PS3 has linux capabiltiies (as well as a built in web browser), I think this is a valid question.
post #76 of 83 Old 06-08-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieStation View Post

Every time I enter one of these TV topics here in this part of the forum, there is *always* someone bashing the XBR2/3 Bravias. Kinda funny.

By the way, is there *anyone* who is actually using their plasma as a computer monitor? I mean, is it realistically possible to do so and not expect any type of image retention with the "latest and greatest" plasmas that everyone keeps mentioning that are no longer prone to the issue? Since the PS3 has linux capabiltiies (as well as a built in web browser), I think this is a valid question.

I tried using my 42in Panny plasma on my PC and I did get some IR but it wasn't noticible and went away as soon as I started watching TV.
post #77 of 83 Old 06-08-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At the price...

Do you blame them, if I want to see clouds, I'll go outside and look up.

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
360 and PS3 owner
post #78 of 83 Old 06-08-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

Please indicate where I had claimed I got a 1080p plasma for $1,200. I have a 480p/720p/1080i 42" panasonic plasma. I got it in November for $1,200.

My parents got their sony lcd 32" (I thought it was 37", but was mistaken) before I got my TV (I think back in September or October).

But, if you'd like to bring up the discussion of 1080p plasma vs lcd prices, here's a reality check:
50" Panasonic Plasma 1080p - MSRP $3,500:
Panasonic's website for TH-50PZ700U

46" Sony LCD 1080p - MSRP $3,900 (on sale for $3,600 from Sony):
Sony's website for 46" BRAVIA® XBR® series

Now, I chose the top of the line model for those particular sizes. Did I attempt to look for cheaper at elsewhere? No. Just showing what you would expect to pay if you buy it straight from the manufacturer at retail price.

EDIT:
Decided to look on Amazon.
TH-50PZ700U - 50" panasonic plasma 1080p:
link at Amazon
KDL-46XBR2 - 46" sony lcd 1080p (not the same model I linked above, it's one model down):
link at Amazon

Im sorry your missing out on the 1080p experience
post #79 of 83 Old 06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

These threads are funny because everyone is trying to defend their expensive purchase. Who cares, to each there own. I did some research before I bought a new TV and I got a 42' Aquos. That was before I found the banding thread. I wanted 1080p and the new 1080p plasma's were out of my price range and I was a little worried about IR. The DLP and LcOS looked pretty good but I thought they looked a little darker and I didn't want to deal with the bulb. I could have gotten a large screen though with the DLP than the LCD. I decided on the LCD because I thought it would be good for gaming and I liked the brighter screen. Plus the room I have it in has a lot of light. Do I think it was the best choice? Eh....maybe and I'm not ashamed to say it. Unfortunately, I had some banding and dead pixels and had to go through three TVs. I still really love the TV but definitely see the advantages and disadvantage to it compared to other technology. I don't know why people argue so much over stuff like this. I think it is to justify their belief that they made the right choice.

PSN: T-Neck

I'm doin' it wrong
post #80 of 83 Old 06-08-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to consider the size of the screen your eyes see. The bigger the screen and the closer you sit, the more 1080p matters. I have a 50" and sit at about 7 feet, IT DEFINITELY MATTERS. Also remember that 1080p televisions are geared towards people that want better picture quality, so other aspects of the picture are better, not just the resolution.
post #81 of 83 Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I personally can barely watch an LCD. They really bug me, mainly because I like to watch a lot of sports and the "trails" kill it for me. I've warmed up to them some and might not mind one in my bedroom, but not right now($). A plasma, on the other hand, looks really nice. Video on Plasma's look a lot better, to me. They aren't as bright though, and if you have a lot of windows where you'll be sitting you'll regret it. The LCD's may have a lot less "trailing" though with the PS3. I'm guessing so. I've only seen both showing Direct TV HD, and it's not the highest quality. By the way, I have a 1080i Hitachi CRT RPTV. I was always disappointed with 1080i, but really it was Direct TV's 1080i. Blu-Ray looks great on it at 1080i. So a LCD may look a lot better with a higher quality source. If I had to get one, though, I'd still get a plasma. My room is semi-light controlled and I don't game 24/7.

Here's to alcohol, the cause ofÂand solution toÂall life's problems.
post #82 of 83 Old 06-08-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine's hooked up to a HTPC 24/7. I watch all my TV and non-HD movies off the PC. I have a screensaver activated on it, that's pretty much just common sense though.
post #83 of 83 Old 06-09-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

At the price...

Do you blame them, if I want to see clouds, I'll go outside and look up.

Yeah but well not all of them have clouds! And I wasn't blaming anyone for the record, just found it amusing here of all places I see people continually bash the XBR2/3 Bravias
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page