AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   PlayStation Area (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-playstation-area/)
-   -   PS3 (LCD vs Plasma?) (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-playstation-area/856412-ps3-lcd-vs-plasma.html)

OzzieP 06-03-2007 07:23 PM

O.K. looking at getting the PS3 for a BR player, but if gaming is going to come into play is an LCD better than plasma? I long time ago I think thats what I was told, but not sure of the reson why, refresh rate I am guessing. I am not sure if this is still an issue.

So if the PS3 is going to be used in the gaming arena as well, which type of TV is the way to go in order to get the best of both worlds out of the PS3?

Thanks
Ozzie

bkchurch 06-03-2007 07:40 PM

I personally prefer plasma because from what I've seen they come closer to CRT level black levels and color accuracy than LCD does. They also don't have the ghosting problems LCD's do.

Moose5670 06-03-2007 07:40 PM

So if the PS3 is going to be used in the gaming arena as well, which type of TV is the way to go in order to get the best of both worlds out of the PS3?

I have a plasma and am really careful about burn in, lower your contrast and brightness and you should be fine. You will have some IR but it goes away very quickly.

drizznay 06-03-2007 07:55 PM

I have a panny pdp and have calibrated it with Avia/DVE and i use my ps3 for gaming and BD/DVD viewing about 50/50. I have never really worried to much about burn in and have watched tons of movies in 2.35:1 and played hours of GOW/GOW2 and GT3 and GT4 with no problems. my sister and her husband just bought an LCD and when I was over there the other day it was driving me crazy cause the picture didn't have that "pop" that I was used to on mine. i even calibrated their set using avia/dve which helped a bit, but it still didn't give me that "window effect" that I love about my set. My little bro came over to my place before we went over to my sisters and I showed him a few scenes from POC on BD. he was pretty amazed at the PQ and said in a lot of the scenes it looked like he was standing right there with the actors. so i'd say take a good look at the pdp's out now and you won't be disappointed!

rahzel 06-03-2007 07:58 PM

not all LCD's are alike you know? there are even LCD projection TV's that can look amazing (Sony XBR 1080p sets for example). i do agree that Plasma's will offer a more natural and overall better look. but there are some LCD's out there that can offer great PQ and you will never have to worry about burn-in.

OzzieP 06-03-2007 08:06 PM

Thanks

It appears obvious that the plasmas have a leg up on image quality, and one does just have to consider the burn in factor, which if your carefull it's a non-issue, however is there any performance loss in LCD vs Plasma?

I am thinking of LCD refresh rate which I have seen the older units create a streaking or comet tail effect if your watching a ball whiz across the screen. I think the LCD's are a bit faster now, but are there any performance issue with either one of these?

kenchi 06-03-2007 08:07 PM

Save yourself the headache from image retention. Definately get LCD for PS3.

I have both Plasma (Pio-5050) and LCD (Vizio 47" 1080p) and already had image retention/ghosting problems on the plasma....then I switched to the LCD. You won't have to worry about static images on the LCD.

nikkosantiago 06-03-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

not all LCD's are alike you know? there are even LCD projection TV's that can look amazing (Sony XBR 1080p sets for example). i do agree that Plasma's will offer a more natural and overall better look. but there are some LCD's out there that can offer great PQ and you will never have to worry about burn-in.

I'd agree with the above and add that not all plasmas are alike, and may not offer a more natural and overall better look. I have seen fantastic image quality on both plasma and lcd when using the ps3 and I have to say your best bet is to figure out what type of technology you want based on additional factors such as budget, build quality, footprint, screen size vs. budget....etc.

OzzieP 06-03-2007 08:24 PM

"...say your best bet is to figure out what type of technology you want based on additional factors..."

My main factor is no ghosting, streaking, or image retention. I am less concern on the burn in factor and I am looking at the 42" plus or minus size screen.

bkchurch 06-03-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Pascual View Post

"...say your best bet is to figure out what type of technology you want based on additional factors..."

My main factor is no ghosting, streaking, or image retention. I am less concern on the burn in factor and I am looking at the 42" plus or minus size screen.

At 42" I'd say a Panny Plasma will give you the best bang for the buck.

kylebisme 06-03-2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

I am thinking of LCD refresh rate which I have seen the older units create a streaking or comet tail effect if your watching a ball whiz across the screen. I think the LCD's are a bit faster now, but are there any performance issue with either one of these?

That isn't the refresh rate causing the streaking, it is the response time of the liquid crystal's twisting opwen such to change the level of light coming though. Some LCDs have better response times than others and hence less ghosting, while plasmas don't have any such response time issues to worry about at all.

tingham 06-03-2007 09:37 PM

Also factor in the the room you wish to put this display in. If you are going to have it in a room with alot of windows and sunlight..the reflections on the plasma glass are going to bug you during the daylight hours. If you are putting it in a dark room with little or no bright sunlight it wont be a issue. Lcd's do not have issues with reflections. As far as burn-in..be very careful with static images..numbers and letters. Gaming on a plasma usually wont be a problem if there is no static images on the screen in the same position all the time...because over time, if you play the game for a couple months, those numbers and letters could burn-in.. I know..because they did on my plasma. Use all the features of a plasma to prevent burn-in during gaming. Like image shift and white modes.

bkchurch 06-03-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Also factor in the the room you wish to put this display in. If you are going to have it in a room with alot of windows and sunlight..the reflections on the plasma glass are going to bug you during the daylight hours. If you are putting it in a dark room with little or no bright sunlight it wont be a issue. Lcd's do not have issues with reflections. As far as burn-in..be very careful with static images..numbers and letters. Gaming on a plasma usually wont be a problem if there is no static images on the screen in the same position all the time...because over time, if you play the game for a couple months, those numbers and letters could burn-in.. I know..because they did on my plasma. Use all the features of a plasma to prevent burn-in during gaming. Like image shift and white modes.

O yea, I forgot about glare. Also I suppose just to show that I'm not anti-LCD I'll add that Plasma's do tend to get insanely freakin hot.

alex2792 06-03-2007 11:32 PM

Plasma all the way, the best way to get the most natural picture in HD. And don't be paranoid about the burn-in with newer displays its not really an issue unless you leave static images up for days on end.

GW-SMOkeY 06-04-2007 01:40 AM

Westy 1080p!

bkchurch 06-04-2007 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY View Post

Westy 1080p!

Westinghouse=Eww

Cyborg6971 06-04-2007 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

Westinghouse=Eww

My westy has been fine why the hate have you owned one?

rahzel 06-04-2007 06:23 AM

Quote:

Westinghouse=Eww

want to elaborate?

i have an older westinghouse LCD and my bro has the exact same one. it has its quirks, but overall, its one of the best budget LCD's out there.

briankmonkey 06-04-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Well if you go with an rear projection set you can avoid those drawbacks of LCD and Plazma. New drawbacks being bigger cabinent and possible light bulb replacements ina few years.

50" SXRD, DLP (make sure you don't notice rainbows) or D-ILA could be a sweet alternative.

Pikasauce 06-04-2007 10:07 AM

I have a 50" Panny plasma (8UK) model and the picture is stunning. No IR or burn-in whatsoever. Plasma is a proven technology and today's plasmas have as much of a chance of burn-in as a CRT.

JCASE11260 06-04-2007 10:33 AM

The best LCD right now is the samsung 4665f it is right on par with any of the plasmas!! This will be your best option if your a gamer!!

Jeff Flowerday 06-04-2007 10:41 AM

I say go Plasma. IR/Burn-In isn't an issue if you go with a quality manufacturer.

LCDs have uniformity issues, clouding issues. Plasmas are smoother when it comes to panning shots, LCDs are more prone to jutter. Less motion blurr from a plasma as well.

GW-SMOkeY 06-04-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Westinghouse=Eww

Whatever dude, what would you know? IT rated 94/100 across the boards, has the best PICTURE MONEY CAN BUY @ 1080p and supports 1080p/24hz.

Lets see, has 1 HDMI, 2 DVI, 1VGA, and 2 Components all capable of doing 1080p, and you can find their 37" for about 1k.

No better bang for your buck/perfomance ratio on this planet dude.

Sure, its a Westy ( my first ) I only buy SONY ( XBR's look nice ) but I cant afford one.

I understand you don't own one, but there are 1000's of us that do, and simply love it!

So sorry your opinion is not valid, since you don't own one, and cant say that.

[edit] and lets not forget that all those symptoms some of you list, are non existant on the westy.

Superb picture quality for the price, lots of inputs, works on PC/PS3/DVD whatever you throw at it, SONY just addressed the HDCP handshake issue. For 1K u cant go wrong. < unless you hate non brands. ( westinghouse ) has been in the electronic buisness just like GE ( for a while )

Oh and there is no ghosting, and its pretty much the only TV that comes close to the expensive brands that can match it in PQ.

GW-SMOkeY 06-04-2007 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg6971 View Post

My westy has been fine why the hate have you owned one?

No he did not, but he needs to justify that his plasma is better...

GW-SMOkeY 06-04-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

I say go Plasma. IT/Burn-In isn't an issue if you go with a quality manufacturer.

LCDs have uniformity issues, clouding issues. Plasmas are smoother when it comes to panning shots, LCDs are more prone to jutter. Less motion blurr from a plasma as well.

Non existant on the WESTY!

bkchurch 06-04-2007 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY View Post

No he did not, but he needs to justify that his plasma is better...

I have a plasma? Wow wish someone had told me that because the last time I checked I have a Barco Data 701s CRT projector, dunno how that Plasma got by me. I've seen Westinghouse TV's in action, the color is washed out and the blacks are cloudy to say the least they look like what they are: a terrible off-brand LCD. I'd take the accurate vibrant color, bright whites without any yellow tint, true blacks, and absolute zero motion blur of my old 32" Sharp SD CRT before I gave all that up just for HD. HD is wonderful but not when you don't have the other (read: more important) factors of picture quality to go with it. O btw I love how everyone is like "OMGZ I HAVE 1080p's on my awesome super 37" Westy w00T! It is da 1337!", if you can see a noticeable difference between 1080p and 720p on a 37" TV then you must be sitting about 3 feet from the thing. I really pity your retinas.

goatwuss 06-04-2007 01:01 PM

If you want vivid colors and a picture that "pops" with great contrast - get a plasma.

If your main concern is the possibility of temporary image retention of static images or burn in (takes many, many hours of a static image for burn in) then get LCD.

Image quality and vivid colors/contrast = plasma
Ability to leave Final Fantasy menu on for 2 weeks static = LCD

smurfee 06-04-2007 01:06 PM

what's the consensus as far as DLP's? I've got a Mitsu 57-732 and I love it. Am I really missing something by not having an LCD or plasma display?

briankmonkey 06-04-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfee View Post

what's the consensus as far as DLP's? I've got a Mitsu 57-732 and I love it. Am I really missing something by not having an LCD or plasma display?

Being ultra thin.. and of image retention and motion blur debate as you don't get either

Mongoos150 06-04-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

not all LCD's are alike you know? there are even LCD projection TV's that can look amazing (Sony XBR 1080p sets for example).

The Sony XBR2/3 are SO SO SO overrated. I have a Samsung LN-S4095d, it's an amazing set. It's the main contender with the XBR3 line (not including the new panels that just came out from Samsung). The black levels aren't on plasma levels, but they're great for any other LCD, color saturation is simply fantastic, 1080p resolution, nice controls for adjusting your picture, no burn-in issues... This is a battle that's been faught for years. Head on over to the Plasma and LCD forums. You'll find multiple, 100-page long threads. You have to pick what is better for you, however many gamers choose LCD over plasma due to burn-in issues and (usually) higher resolution. If black level is of utmost importance, and you're on a budget, go plasma.