When setting up your PS3 Network, what does NAT Type 3 mean??? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Home Theater Gaming > PlayStation Area > When setting up your PS3 Network, what does NAT Type 3 mean???

PlayStation Area

Rieper's Avatar Rieper
06:41 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 20
06-08-2007 | Posts: 3,302
After setting up my PS3 for wireless use, I noticed a message saying: "Your PS3 is set for NAT Type 3, some communication features might not work properly".

What does that mean? Is this normal? Does it mean I wont be able to hear other gamers when playing Motorstorm using a bluetooth headset? How do I change NAT Type 3?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
joe_six_pack's Avatar joe_six_pack
06:50 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 20
06-08-2007 | Posts: 2,334
Nat 1 is a connection straight to internet
Nat 2 is a connection through a router.
Nat 3 means there is something wrong with your connection. YOu have limited connectivity.

There's a way to fix it, and it's on the official PS forum.
wmwilker's Avatar wmwilker
07:04 AM Liked: 33
post #3 of 20
06-08-2007 | Posts: 918
Try this web page
http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/support/ps3/index.html
It helped me with my wireless router.
Rieper's Avatar Rieper
02:32 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 20
06-08-2007 | Posts: 3,302
Thanks for the link and the info. Much appreciated.
IhateBestBuy's Avatar IhateBestBuy
03:06 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 20
06-08-2007 | Posts: 248
Nat 3 is something you do not want to be lol
BlaQice's Avatar BlaQice
06:44 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 20
03-31-2008 | Posts: 1
First you need to determine two things?
1. Are you on cable or dsl?

2. If cable skip to NOW DO THIS below.

If DSL what is your ip?

if you STATIC IP is 192.x.x.x

you are "double nat"

That means your modem is acting as a router or switch, then your router
is behind that. YOUR DSL PROVIDER WILL NOT HELP YOU WITH THIS.
They make money off of selling you the $69/month service.

You need to access the MODEM setup of your DSL carrier.
Before you do this make sure you have your user name and password.

Now go to your Router Setup Page
Select PPPoE, enter your user name (complete email address) and password.

Don't save yet. Open another browser window and access your Modem and select PPP Bridged option then save.

Now save your router settings.

Now your ip should be 64.x.x.x or something like that. (on your status page)

You should be able to get NAT TYPE 2 on your PS3 now. If Not,

NOW DO THIS

set up a static ip address for your PS3 and assign it to the DMZ on your router. Don't bother with port forwarding and all that. If you're in a DMZ it's redundant. If you're not in a DMZ, set up one.

Now Save
headcase151's Avatar headcase151
07:06 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 20
03-31-2008 | Posts: 169
Call your internet provider.Ask them to help you put your modem in bridged mode.Basiclly that turns the firewall off,in the modem.Then you use the firewall in your router.I did this,and had open NAT on my PS3,and 360.
TornadoTJ's Avatar TornadoTJ
08:03 PM Liked: 36
post #8 of 20
05-20-2008 | Posts: 3,931
Modem in bridged mode. Don't want to put my PS3 in the DMZ because then it'll lose connectivity to TVersity. I suppose I could set up a MIP to the TVersity from the DMZ to the server, but really is it necessary? Also, I have/had everything working with the remote play with the PSP, and if I move my wired PS3 to the DMZ, it'll lose connectivity with the PS3. Someone, who's made this work on a flat network?
08:43 PM Liked: 36
post #9 of 20
05-20-2008 | Posts: 3,931
The only way I can figure out how to do this is to do a mapped IP from the DSL interface to the PS3. Problem is, it won't tie to the PPPoE dynamic address if I do MIP.
M4H's Avatar M4H
06:15 AM Liked: 10
post #10 of 20
05-21-2008 | Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Modem in bridged mode. Don't want to put my PS3 in the DMZ because then it'll lose connectivity to TVersity. I suppose I could set up a MIP to the TVersity from the DMZ to the server, but really is it necessary? Also, I have/had everything working with the remote play with the PSP, and if I move my wired PS3 to the DMZ, it'll lose connectivity with the PS3. Someone, who's made this work on a flat network?

"DMZ" on most routers isn't really a DMZ. It just means that any ports not explicity forwarded go by default to the "DMZ" device. You can still hit it from the inside just fine. That said, try UPnP if your router allows it - the PS3 should map everything on its own.

If UPnP doesn't work, you'll have to do it manually. Quick Googling gets this:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...read.id=116102
08:55 AM Liked: 36
post #11 of 20
05-21-2008 | Posts: 3,931
DMZ and UPnP aren't options on my device. I've tried all the options found from Google. I use a "commercial grade" firewall since it's what I support and use at work. It makes it easier for me to transition, and I feel better about the strength of the firewall compared to a "home" device. I realize this would be easier on something made for home and gaming, but I'm determined to not downgrade my device.

I finally gave up and emailed the firewall's support team. I'm wondering if it is the first time they've ever had someone ask how to set one of these up to allow multi-player on a Playstation. LOL!
M4H's Avatar M4H
09:06 AM Liked: 10
post #12 of 20
05-21-2008 | Posts: 362
Quote:

DMZ and UPnP aren't options on my device. I've tried all the options found from Google. I use a "commercial grade" firewall since it's what I support and use at work. It makes it easier for me to transition, and I feel better about the strength of the firewall compared to a "home" device. I realize this would be easier on something made for home and gaming, but I'm determined to not downgrade my device.

I finally gave up and emailed the firewall's support team. I'm wondering if it is the first time they've ever had someone ask how to set one of these up to allow multi-player on a Playstation. LOL!

Manually mapping the missing TCP/UDP ports should work fine. Which ones have you forwarded?
11:58 AM Liked: 36
post #13 of 20
05-21-2008 | Posts: 3,931
I have all the good ones forwarded. I think I may have found my issue. There's a command I have to issue to support multiple ports on a VIP on my firewall.
track15's Avatar track15
11:26 AM Liked: 10
post #14 of 20
03-21-2010 | Posts: 1
hey guys well as i see must of the people get the same problem in the ps3 network connection the nat type3 well i had before nat type3 but i changed it now to nat type 2and it was simple as 123 if you need help with your ps3 just contact me or post here your problem and i ll try to help
habsman27's Avatar habsman27
10:16 PM Liked: 10
post #15 of 20
04-20-2010 | Posts: 1
HEY i desperately need help. I called my internet company telus to open the ports. They said that they opened the UPnP port and it should work. We checked everything, the ip address is the same etc. It still says NAT 3 and UPnP not available. Is it my internet or my ps3? HELP!!!!!!!
DaBuzzard's Avatar DaBuzzard
02:47 PM Liked: 11
post #16 of 20
04-21-2010 | Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsman27 View Post

HEY i desperately need help. I called my internet company telus to open the ports. They said that they opened the UPnP port and it should work. We checked everything, the ip address is the same etc. It still says NAT 3 and UPnP not available. Is it my internet or my ps3? HELP!!!!!!!

I see you are on Telus - you likely got the Siemens wireless gateway.

If so, the only way I could get my ps3 to nat 2 on Telus was to buy a stand alone broadband modem and use a seperate router.
Give the PS3 a static ip, drop it in the DMZ, voila! nat 2
star_man's Avatar star_man
09:40 PM Liked: 10
post #17 of 20
04-21-2010 | Posts: 430
Quote:

DMZ and UPnP aren't options on my device

Most likely you're device has the capability for doing this but there's not a button like for soho devices.
Which device are you using?

UPnP allows ports to be opened as needed. Not super secure. Apparently a lot of people don't care about security. Like EULAs, people will just click yes if it means they can play games.
maximuslcd's Avatar maximuslcd
06:39 AM Liked: 10
post #18 of 20
04-22-2010 | Posts: 1,934
when i run a connection test on ps3 it says nat type 3, but then when i play cod it says nat type open...even though it says i have nat 3 i have never had a problem and until I do i'm not messing with my setting and crap..DSL by the way
tj_kan's Avatar tj_kan
02:51 PM Liked: 10
post #19 of 20
05-08-2010 | Posts: 2
My ps3 is stuck on NAT type 3.....I am unfortunately a hughesnet user with a linksys router. Hughesnet refuses to help me brdge my modem, I was hoping somebody could help. Let me know how or even if i can do it myself, from what i read my only other option is to get a static ip address which hughesnet wants to charge me for, so before I fork over any cash to em I'd like to make sure it's my last resort. Thanks in advance for the help!
Im2sexy's Avatar Im2sexy
04:52 PM Liked: 10
post #20 of 20
05-08-2010 | Posts: 674
Read this I am assuming this is your modem too?
Reply PlayStation Area

Subscribe to this Thread