Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
They really nead to cut the price of the PS3 100 dollars and come out with some better games. I know I will end up buying a PS3 but unfortunately, right now the only thing making me want one is so that I can buy PS1 games for my PSP. That is not good enough for me to spend 600 dollars on it.
-Evaneglo2
post #3 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
80-100 folks got the axe so far. Not too bad.

http://www.psu.com/node/11566

Sony Computer Entertainment America is currently downsizing, reports gaming blog, Kotaku. According to the site, Dave Karraker released a statement regarding the lay-offs:

"In an effort to accurately align the company to meet the changing needs of our consumers and of our industry, Sony Computer Entertainment America has found it necessary to analyze our current business and to restructure the company as necessary to continue our standing as the market leader.

These restructuring efforts are currently underway and do include the streamlining of our operations and other initiatives to further strengthen the business, reduce costs and increase operational efficiency. "

It has been reported that between 80 to 100 staff members were let go, although Karraker did not confirm the number.
post #4 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

They really nead to cut the price of the PS3 100 dollars and come out with some better games. I know I will end up buying a PS3 but unfortunately, right now the only thing making me want one is so that I can buy PS1 games for my PSP. That is not good enough for me to spend 600 dollars on it.
-Evaneglo2

The price cut is coming. I have several friend ready to purchase when it drops $100. And with the reduced cost to manufacture Blu-Ray players, we should see a $499.99 PS3 by Christmas.
post #5 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
That is a lot of families out of work

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #6 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 08:14 AM

That does suck for the families. It looks like the PS3 will be 100 dollars cheaper soon though.

PSN ID: Hoggie-wan
post #7 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

those must have been the people handling quality control for the firmware patches - see RGB Full Glitch and the Bluetooth headset compatibility debacle (every firmware update fixes some bt headsets' compatibility and hurts others)
same folks who let the PS3 pass thru the QC phase with making sure it can play all HD games on all HDTVs
post #8 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

those must have been the people handling quality control for the firmware patches - see RGB Full Glitch and the Bluetooth headset compatibility debacle (every firmware update fixes some bt headsets' compatibility and hurts others)
same folks who let the PS3 pass thru the QC phase with making sure it can play all HD games on all HDTVs

LOL, yes, they're all out to get you

Avarice
post #9 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

we should see a $499.99 PS3 by Christmas.

That's still not a mass market price though,I'm not sure if a $100 drop will move PS3's off the shelves any more so than now without some truly compelling exclusives.Even then,many people will still balk at the price.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #10 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 09:04 AM

The 20gig PS3 is $499 right now and not as elusive as most would lead you to believe. EBgames.com and gamestop.com have them in stock from time to time, including right now.

As for the layoffs they are just a short term bandage for a long term problem, in other words it really solves nothing and those poor people have to lose their jobs.
post #11 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

I think a cost reduction will help sell the unit faster than an exclusive will. I know when I got my PS3 before Christmas many parents came in wanting to buy the PS3 for their children, but the price drove them to buy the less expensive 360. They had no idea about what games would play on what. Although I see your point, the bottom line now with any HD components is price. 499 before the Christmas season would be huge!

More importantly, I wish the best for those laid off.
post #12 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm kind of disappointed the sales figures thread is banned, I think thats kinda weak. As a new owner, I find it interesting to follow such trends, and discuss where this thing is headed..........In light of that, maybe this thread can serve as a discussion of what lies ahead for the PS3................I'm a little worried, but only a little.

I believe the PS3 is the most advanced, most sound piece of hardware as compared to Wii and Xbox 360. I believe the PS3 to be the only fully next generation console. (Xbox skirts this line with its DVD drive and stripped down bare bones versions (w no hdmi, no harddrive etc), imo. That said the best technology doesn't always win the war.............I visitied Walmart.com and Toysrus.com and in their main video game feature pages the PS3 isn't even mentioned. (Wii, Xbox360 and PS2 are!) That scares me a little bit. They of course sell PS3, but why don't they even highlight it?

Anyway I am hoping (and cautiously optomistic) that as a significant price cut is introduced (and I expect it way before Xmas), and the wave of games comes out late this summer and fall that PS3 finally gets rolling. I know several friends planning on picking up the system.

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
post #13 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
$499 for the 60gb will move a lot of ps3's imo. the right under $500 mark will be good for the console. i bought mine on ebay for $486 plus shipping. at $499 for a brand new one i would have bought it new retail.
post #14 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Sony: Layoffs Not Directly Linked to PS3 -

This move is not wholly related to any one product in our portfolio, said SCEA PR boss Dave Karraker when asked if the layoffs were directly linked to PS3 sales. More accurately, it is reflective of shifts in the marketplace and in consumers' wants and needs, such as the rise of digital content delivery and networked services. In order to maintain our market leadership, the management of SCEA has found it necessary to analyze the business and restructure the company as necessary.

Link > http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...5884&Itemid=59
post #15 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
September, October & November look good so far on the number of games to be realesed. If in November or early December we see a price drop, things will hopefully start moving fast for the PS3 and Sony.

I know several people (including myself) waiting for a price drop on the PS3, especially since the title library available so far is small (right now probably Resistance is the only one I really want to play) so it doesn't urge me to buy a console. Once good games start rolling out, I'm sure I won't be able to even wait for a price reduction if it takes too long and I'll just buy the damn console.
post #16 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY View Post

Sony: Layoffs Not Directly Linked to PS3 -

This move is not wholly related to any one product in our portfolio, said SCEA PR boss Dave Karraker when asked if the layoffs were directly linked to PS3 sales. More accurately, it is reflective of shifts in the marketplace and in consumers' wants and needs, such as the rise of digital content delivery and networked services. In order to maintain our market leadership, the management of SCEA has found it necessary to analyze the business and restructure the company as necessary.

Link > http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...5884&Itemid=59

actually that quote convinces me this IS directly linked to ps3, and i'm pretty certain if ps3 isn't doin so poorly there wouldnt be any layoffs in the division. companies will never come out and directly say, "we're laying off ppl b/c the ps3 sales are poor."
post #17 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Dude 7 months @ 600 bucks and a 3.5 million user base? How is that bad, I mean the marker analysts, and just about everyone else that does not have nothing better to do is going to be talking about sales for ever. Who cares really?

SONY has plenty of room for a lot of price drops. From 600 to 500 to 400 to 300 each time they do that the fan base it will increase. So I hardly care sure it inconvinence for the workers, but hey its not affecting you so you should not worry about it.

Plus I am kind of tired reading these boring news on this forum all the time. I care about playing games, not SALES. As long my PS3 gets great games, I can hardly care who buys it or not.
post #18 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

That's still not a mass market price though,I'm not sure if a $100 drop will move PS3's off the shelves any more so than now without some truly compelling exclusives.Even then,many people will still balk at the price.

You are wrong my friend. With the titles coming out this fall AND a price drop, units will move.
post #19 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom420 View Post

That does suck for the families. It looks like the PS3 will be 100 dollars cheaper soon though.

I'm not sure increasing the loss per unit sold is going to bring in more money to pay salaries.
post #20 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

maybe this realy does have nothing to do with the PS3,
Maybe Sony finaly got around to firing the guys who develop for the PS1
post #21 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd23 View Post

I'm kind of disappointed the sales figures thread is banned, I think thats kinda weak. As a new owner, I find it interesting to follow such trends, and discuss where this thing is headed..........In light of that, maybe this thread can serve as a discussion of what lies ahead for the PS3................I'm a little worried, but only a little.

I believe the PS3 is the most advanced, most sound piece of hardware as compared to Wii and Xbox 360. I believe the PS3 to be the only fully next generation console. (Xbox skirts this line with its DVD drive and stripped down bare bones versions (w no hdmi, no harddrive etc), imo. That said the best technology doesn't always win the war.............I visitied Walmart.com and Toysrus.com and in their main video game feature pages the PS3 isn't even mentioned. (Wii, Xbox360 and PS2 are!) That scares me a little bit. They of course sell PS3, but why don't they even highlight it?

Anyway I am hoping (and cautiously optomistic) that as a significant price cut is introduced (and I expect it way before Xmas), and the wave of games comes out late this summer and fall that PS3 finally gets rolling. I know several friends planning on picking up the system.

Gamers have become obsessed with issues that are not relevant to them directly.

Examples:
- Issues that should solely be the concerns of developers: Is there enough video memory? Is the SDK mature enough? Why is texture streaming important? How can I take full advantage of all SPEs? Etc.
- Issues that should solely be the concerns of publishers: Is this game selling well enough? Should this game be exclusive to this platform? Etc.
- Issues that should solely be the concerns of manufacturers: Should the price be cut? Is it selling well enough? Is a new marketing campaign needed? Etc.

While focusing on these issues, which are not theirs to obsess about, they are found missing on their primary responsibility:

Try and buy good games. Try and forget bad games.
Buy platforms that offer good games.

Instead, gamers engage in flame wars on topics they do not understand.
post #22 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

Examples:
- Issues that should solely be the concerns of developers: Is there enough video memory? Is the SDK mature enough? Why is texture streaming important? How can I take full advantage of all SPEs? Etc.
- Issues that should solely be the concerns of publishers: Is this game selling well enough? Should this game be exclusive to this platform? Etc.
- Issues that should solely be the concerns of manufacturers: Should the price be cut? Is it selling well enough? Is a new marketing campaign needed? Etc.

LOL, this is so fricking true that it's weird.
post #23 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

They need to cut the technical support staff of SCEA : every time I call, the operator is amazed at something they never knew the PS3 does like - exit from games using the PS button, hook up mp3 devices to usb, use bitstream for 5.1 sound, etc... It boggles my mind every time I call them. It's like they hired the overflow from McDonald's (offense intended). I had one operator googling info on the PS3 because they had no info on it's specs once. I just laughed at them in awe and wonder. Long LIVE SONY!!!

"The well-placed coin changes much - even itself." - Lao-Tse
post #24 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Examples:

While focusing on these issues, which are not theirs to obsess about, they are found missing on their primary responsibility:

My homie! Could not agree more...
post #25 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Examples:

I understand what you're saying, and agree with you to an extent. However I think its perfectly legitimate for a gamer to concern themselves at some level with many of those things you say aren't directly relevant to them. For instance its not a stretch for gamers to wonder if their system is powerful enough (at a high level such as processor power, memory, etc) to deliver games that will equal or surpass the competition's, and its certainly not surprising that gamers will be interested in how their console and its games are selling so as to be assured of future support and new products. Anyone who is old enough to have experienced video games since their inception realizes that competing platforms ultimately flopped and failed due to lack of support/marketing/interest/capability or some combination thereof. This left those who supported said platforms with expensive paperweights. Whether said gamer is informed enough is going to differentiate from person to person, and flamewars are certainly regrettable. However its oversly simplistic and a bit condescending to dismiss these concerns by patting someone on the head and saying "go play and have fun"...

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
post #26 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

No big shock, all large companies are into cutbacks! Chevrolet and Ford come to mind. One of my coworkers were cut by Microsoft.
post #27 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

You are wrong my friend. With the titles coming out this fall AND a price drop, units will move.

I doubt it,but I don't mind being proven wrong in this case.A price drop to $500 is,in my humble opinion,still higher than that 'mental' threshold that people are accustomed to paying for consoles.Is it a good deal for what it contains i.e Blueray,Cell Processor blah blah?Sure it is.But Joe Six pack sees price,not specs.Even the mighty PS2 didn't 'really' take off till it dropped price to $199.I think we around here assume that because we have disposable incomes(some of us anyway) to afford 50" 1080p HDTVs, $1000 7.1 Surround Systems and $500 gaming consoles that we represents the norm.We don't,and I just don't see people forking over that kind of cash by the boatloads.I could be wrong,we'll see...

post #28 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 335
A price drop to $500 bucks will do very little to spur sales. A $500 console is still well out the reach of most consumers. In the 8 months the PS3 has been available for sale I cant imagine there is a large amount of people who have waited this long to buy it because it was a $100 too expensive. Hell the PS3 has already been sold, and is still available for $500 bucks brand new in the form of the 20gig.. its discontinued.. but still readily available for purchase brand new.

What does that tell you?

Not to mention the PS3 has always been sold in Japan for well under $500.. yet sales have been even more poor than what they are in the US.

Until the price hits $399.. any smaller price drop will do little to boost sales.

The one area they can concentrate on though.. is getting major exclusive titles out asap. Enough with the delays already.. Enough with the CGI or game engine trailers, screenshots, $30 million dollar gaming budget and cell/bluray potential discussions.. people are steadily losing interest in those projects and many have grown tired of the continued wait.

If you want people to take the PS3 serious.. you have to prove the PS3 is serious about gaming. As someone in this thread pointed out earlier pick up any large electronic retailer sales paper or visit their website.. the PS3 section is the smallest section.. and sometimes not even advertised at all. I've seen plenty of Best Buy weekly ads with no mention of the PS3.

The only way to change the PS3's perception is putting great looking EXCLUSIVE games.. that not just look great but play great immediately. And I mean available for purchase on store shelves sooner rather than later.

I was watching a Attack of the Show DVR'ed from yesterday while typing this.. and they showed a clip of Metal Gear Solid 4. While the video clip did little to excite me.. the ending did exactly what other major titles on the PS3 need to be doing. Using a paintbrush it showed a release date of 2006.. with the 2006 turning into 2008. Before I could even finish sighing again.. the 2008 was crossed out with a red paint.. and was replaced with 2007.

That is EXACTLY the type of thing thats going to get the PS3 where it needs to be.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #29 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally,I feel that 2 of the 3 xbox 360 models,the $399 Premium and $479 elite,are priced beyond mass market levels also,but in addition to being cheaper,I don't think the 360 has the 'overpriced' perception that the PS3 has over it's head,fairly or unfairly.Now,to us tech heads,the PS3 is a great deal for the technology under the hood,but to the average Joe,they only care about the price,not that it plays Hidef movies,has HDMI,has a state of the art processor etc.Explaining those things to the average Joe is probably akin to trying to communicate with a brick wall.At the end of the day,their only concern and question is 'How Much?'

There's 2 reasons why Wii is outselling everything in sight 1) The new control scheme and 2) THE PRICE.I guarantee you that if Nintendo put a bit more horsepower under the hood and priced the Wii at 360/PS3 level,it wouldn't be sold out,even with the new controller.

post #30 of 49 Old 06-08-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

dargon it seems that most of the non belivers are all average Joe's who don't care to learn jack...

For 600 PS3 is a steal, a HD PS2, Upconverting Player, JukeBox, PS3, Online Browser, and personal LINUX PC. It works and is used 8hrs a day in my HOUSE hold not just for games.

Since Launch. So it all boils down to personal opinions.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page