Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.n4g.com/NewsCom-46300.aspx#Comments

Epic's ability to create games of AAA quality is unrivaled, making them a perfect partner for Streamline Studios digital content service. Unreal Tournament 3 will be the fifth next-generation that epic has worked in this generation.

Today a rumor has started that the much anticipated game which was previously announced on the Xbox360 and PC and later on the ps3 will be a timed exclusive on the ps3. More Details shall be unraveled at E3 this year.

Playstation Network Name: Aiphanes
Warhawk Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Resistance Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Folding@home Team 56396

Knights of Halfbros Team STATS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
..........yeah

The 5.0 is here
post #3 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

In all the interviews I've read, Epic talks very highly of their relationship with Microsoft. I doubt they would risk upsetting Microsoft over something that wouldn't really pay off.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then defeat you with experience.
post #4 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

kinda funny how the title states is 100% sure and then the thread has that word.... rumor.

i will believe it when i see it but its not completely inplausable due to the halo effect.... any shooter than comes out within 2 months of halo 3 will not sell on the 360. but i dont think we have a firm date yet on ut3 so its possible there might be a date given to it and it would be trying to compete with halo3.
post #5 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
We don't even know where this rumor came from. It might make sense though considering Halo 3 will be the shooter of choice for 360 owners this holiday season. Sales of UT3 for 360 could be much better if they wait.

I expected this title to slip into 08 for all platforms. Too many shooters coming down the pipe in the next 6 months.
post #6 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrii View Post

In all the interviews I've read, Epic talks very highly of their relationship with Microsoft. I doubt they would risk upsetting Microsoft over something that wouldn't really pay off.

Fortunately, Epic isn't Microsoft's lap dog. They choose their own direction and they do whatever they want to do. Since content is king, Epic calls the shots. Now, Unreal Tournament 3 has always been a PS3 timed exclusive game. From the Tim Sweeney demo's to the Cliffy B interviews with UT3 playing in the background on a PS3, the game was always meant to be, in the words of Mark Rein, the poster child for the UE3 engine on the PS3 just as Gears was to the 360.
post #7 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truespeed View Post

Fortunately, Epic isn't Microsoft's lap dog. They choose their own direction and they do whatever they want to do. Since content is king, Epic calls the shots. Now, Unreal Tournament 3 has always been a PS3 timed exclusive game. From the Tim Sweeney demo's to the Cliffy B interviews with UT3 playing in the background on a PS3, the game was always meant to be, in the words of Mark Rein, the poster child for the UE3 engine on the PS3 just as Gears was to the 360.

Actually, the publisher accidently announced that the game would be released on the Xbox 360 months before the official announcement. If I recall correctly, it was slipped 2 weeks after the game was first announced. But I do agree with the poster boy comment, Epic probably did want to showcase it as a PS3 game but it's just not a smart financial move.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then defeat you with experience.
post #8 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 03:48 PM

who is this exclusive tim you speak of? what does it mean to be timmed?
is it something like being jacked?

"Give us the tools, and we'll finish the job." Winston Churchill
"manuscipts don't burn" Mikhail Bulgakov
Psn id: Tandr
post #9 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrii View Post

Actually, the publisher accidently announced that the game would be released on the Xbox 360 months before the official announcement. If I recall correctly, it was slipped 2 weeks after the game was first announced. But I do agree with the poster boy comment, Epic probably did want to showcase it as a PS3 game but it's just not a smart financial move.

why would that be a bad financial move if they are releasing it on the pc at the same time? also, the ps3 needs a killer app, and once it gets one, all the people on the fence waiting for a great game to come out before buying a ps3 would jump on the band wagon. i know at least 10 people personally that really are not heavy video game players that said they would pick one up when a game like mgs4 and ut3 are released, so they can justify the purchase as a bluray player AND and kick ass video game system. i know 10 people would not justify a timed exclusive, but i bet there are a tons of people like the ones i know, just waiting on the fence for the right game to come along and blow them over to the ps3.
post #10 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkker View Post

why would that be a bad financial move if they are releasing it on the pc at the same time? also, the ps3 needs a killer app, and once it gets one, all the people on the fence waiting for a great game to come out before buying a ps3 would jump on the band wagon. i know at least 10 people personally that really are not heavy video game players that said they would pick one up when a game like mgs4 and ut3 are released, so they can justify the purchase as a bluray player AND and kick ass video game system. i know 10 people would not justify a timed exclusive, but i bet there are a tons of people like the ones i know, just waiting on the fence for the right game to come along and blow them over to the ps3.

If they release it on the Xbox 360 at the same time, they could benefit from the people who want to play it but can't afford to spend 600 dollars on a playstation 3/have a bad PC. Also, Xbox 360 owners who like it may be willing to go out and buy Gears of War too.

post #11 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Can't see Epic not putting this out on PC first along with whatever console they decide to lead off with(Just release it on all three!). We already know the PC version is going to sell well enough, and with mods, custom maps, better controls and graphics with way more expandability in the future, it wouldn't make sense.
post #12 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

true or not, are timed exclusives all that significant? I guess it depends on the timing. To me, weeks or even months (<6) are pretty insignifcant.

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
post #13 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It makes sense if Sony paid for the timed exclusive just like they might have paid for the timed exclusive for Haze. They are trying to build sale more consoles. Same thing with Xbox last gen when they had timed exclusives for that system. I wouldn't be surprised that it would be exclusive if they paid Epic enough money. If no money was involved with I doubt then I don't see Epic waiting out of all of them the PC version.

The 5.0 is here
post #14 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd23 View Post

true or not, are timed exclusives all that significant? I guess it depends on the timing. To me, weeks or even months (<6) are pretty insignifcant.

Yeah i agree, when i hear timed exclusive if it isn't at least 18 mos. it may as well be a same day release. 6 mos or even a year isn't long to wait, especially for someone like me who is used to waiting 6-12 mos for localization on JP games. Add to that that the later version usually ends up getting refined or has some kind of extra content the waits become alot more bearable.

Money for timed exclusivity is a waste, if the money is going to be spent for exclusivity it would be much better spent on exclusive content like what MS did with GTAIV. Getting an extra 6 mos is a waste.
post #15 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Folks...get this...

Haze is a timmed exclusive, and it was developed on the PS3. It is not a port.

Unreal Tournament 3 is a timmed exclusive and it was developed on the PS3. It is not a port.

We got to good games that are timmed exclusives. Why are we not happy?

If you do not believe it then wait for the mini-E3. All will be revealed then...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament_3

In 2005, Unreal Tournament 3, then known as Unreal Tournament 2007, was announced for Windows and PlayStation 3. On January 25, 2007, Midway made an official announcement that the newly renamed game, Unreal Tournament 3, would be released for Linux, Mac OS, Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360.[2] A demo will be released for PC before the full game's release.[3][4][5]

Content creation

Unreal Engine 3 allows for advanced lighting and real-time self shadowing on complex, intricate models.The Unreal Editor (also known as UnrealEd and UEd) is included with all UT games, and allows the user to edit and create custom content for the game. The editor for UT3 will be a little different from the editor for UT2004, as the older editor was for Unreal Engine 2.5 while UT3 uses Unreal Engine 3. One notable addition will be a "play" button allowing mappers to test their content from within the editor itself. There will also be a visual scripting interface, known as Kismet, allowing those with little or no programming knowledge to create their own mods easily.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Tim Sweeney revealed that the Playstation 3 version of UT3 will support user mods, created on PCs and downloadable to the console.[11]

Mouse and keyboard controls will be available in the PS3 version through the USB ports on the front of the console. In addition, the Sixaxis controller will allow the player to control aiming.

http://www.unrealtournament3.com/main.php#

Playstation Network Name: Aiphanes
Warhawk Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Resistance Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Folding@home Team 56396

Knights of Halfbros Team STATS
post #16 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Virtua Fighter how is that timed released doing in sales?

The 5.0 is here
post #17 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm more happy about these games being developed on the PS3...............I am sick of rushed XBOX360 ports. I think the PS3 will outshine XBOX on games developed on its own system.

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
post #18 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripjammer View Post

In an interview with Gamasutra, Tim Sweeney revealed that the Playstation 3 version of UT3 will support user mods, created on PCs and downloadable to the console.

Mouse and keyboard controls will be available in the PS3 version through the USB ports on the front of the console. In addition, the Sixaxis controller will allow the player to control aiming.

Finally! I was hoping that Rainbow Six: Vegas would not only support mouse/keyboard, but also support user created maps and mods. But, now I'm uncertain if a level editor was ever included with the PC version of Vegas or if it supports mods and custom arm patches (which, is a huge step back for the PC version if this were the case).

Too bad I wasn't that big of a fan of all of the other Unreal Tournament games. Maybe someone will make a worthwhile mod.

And Trip, it's "timed" not "timmed".
post #19 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd23 View Post

I'm more happy about these games being developed on the PS3...............I am sick of rushed XBOX360 ports. I think the PS3 will outshine XBOX on games developed on its own system.

It seems Ubisoft has finally realized that well coded games actually sell. Rainbow Six: Vegas not only looks better than the 360 version, it also includes 5 extra levels and the online is on par with Xbox Live. I think the wait was worth it.
post #20 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Uh...

From IGN's recent preview of Vegas on the PS3:
"From what we saw of the opening levels, the PS3 version of Vegas is pretty much identical to the Xbox 360 version, not just in gameplay but in visuals as well. Then again, Ubisoft wisely has decided not to fix what was clearly not broken. The modified Unreal Engine 3 graphics engine that powers the game looks unchanged, though the frame rate does seem to struggle a bit more during some of the more intensive scenes. On the plus side, the PS3 version seems to have a bit more physics interactions built into it, as we saw more objects react to explosions and gunfire."

I'm guessing it looks identical and the reason it was delayed was to add the extra multiplayer maps or to optimize the game so it didn't run like FEAR. Regardless, the
fact that they even mentioned the framerate struggling in some places is cause for concern.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #21 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Uh, From Yahoo games:

Quote:

On the PS3, Vegas exhibits few graphical improvements over the 360 version. Nothing wrong with that, of course -- it still stands out as one of the best-looking shooters around. It's the logical procession of the graphical muscle in Advanced Warfighter and the ambience in the Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia games. Although the settings are mostly indoors, the maps are large and richly detailed. The game opens with a prologue in a dusty Mexican border town that serves as a visual palette cleanser. But then the action smash cuts to the streets of Las Vegas, full of color and light and fire and product placement.

Quote:

Online, Rainbow Six Vegas delivers an impressive suite of options. Indeed, you could almost be forgiven for thinking you were playing the 360 version on Xbox Live, and that's high praise. The persistent character development system of unlocks from the 360 is here, so as you play online you'll gradually gain access to more and more specialized weapons, armor, and other kit. Invites and messaging are also supported.

Five new maps join the original 15. At its original release, Vegas quickly became one of the most played games on Xbox Live, where it remains to this day, and given the sparse selection of online games on the PS3 you can safely expect it to become extremely popular. If you're feeling the need for a robust PS3 online experience, Rainbow Six Vegas has everything you need.

It's a real pleasure to see Rainbow Six given such royal treatment, particularly if you're a fan of the series. But even if you just like gunplay, this is a great time for shooter fans, whose embarrassment of riches just got even more embarrassing. At last, Rainbow Six is back among the best of the best.

post #22 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Uh...

From IGN's recent preview of Vegas on the PS3:
"From what we saw of the opening levels, the PS3 version of Vegas is pretty much identical to the Xbox 360 version, not just in gameplay but in visuals as well. Then again, Ubisoft wisely has decided not to fix what was clearly not broken. The modified Unreal Engine 3 graphics engine that powers the game looks unchanged, though the frame rate does seem to struggle a bit more during some of the more intensive scenes. On the plus side, the PS3 version seems to have a bit more physics interactions built into it, as we saw more objects react to explosions and gunfire."

I'm guessing it looks identical and the reason it was delayed was to add the extra multiplayer maps or to optimize the game so it didn't run like FEAR. Regardless, the
fact that they even mentioned the framerate struggling in some places is cause for concern.

The framerate struggles are something we'll likely see as long as we continue to get 360 ports. The lead system will almost always have better performance. We can look last gen at PS2-Xbox ports. The Xbox was technically more powerful, but games ported over would chug on the system. Metal Gear Substance comes to mind first.

Your sig here <>.
post #23 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I agree that ports never fare well, but to be fair, this isn't a port. The Unreal 3 engine I believe has kits for all the major platforms, so its more a test of the developers to wrestle with the PS3's hardware to pull out the good and minimize the bad.

If there are some framerate issues, I'm thinking its because someone said "We need to ship this game now, no more slipping". Probably didn't want the property to get stale. At this point you may get some 360 players buying the PS3 version just to play 5 new maps if they're hardcore enough.

But wait another 3-4 months and suddenly you're having to deal with Halo 3 and GTA, which means gamers dollars are going to be split and they wont move as many copies as they would, say, NOW...when there isn't any competition for awhile.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #24 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 PM

Possibily having better physics interactions has created some trade off on the framerate. To be fair the 360 version has its share of framerate issues as well as screen tearing.
post #25 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelRush View Post

The framerate struggles are something we'll likely see as long as we continue to get 360 ports. The lead system will almost always have better performance. We can look last gen at PS2-Xbox ports. The Xbox was technically more powerful,
Quote:

but games ported over would chug on the system.

Even the most diehard fanboys will not admit this statement to be true.

The 5.0 is here
post #26 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandr View Post

He was trying to say "Timed".
post #27 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Virtua Fighter how is that timed released doing in sales?

I doubt it is selling well due to lack of online capabilities. Who wants to play alone anymore? It won't sell well on 360 for the same reason. Get a grip SEGA!!!
post #28 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveMillionWays View Post

I doubt it is selling well due to lack of online capabilities. Who wants to play alone anymore? It won't sell well on 360 for the same reason. Get a grip SEGA!!!

It is obvious that you are not a Virtua Fighter 5 fan. Online play will basically turn the game into any other generic fighting game. The game can't be played the way it is normally played due to the latency.

post #29 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelRush View Post

The framerate struggles are something we'll likely see as long as we continue to get 360 ports. The lead system will almost always have better performance. We can look last gen at PS2-Xbox ports. The Xbox was technically more powerful, but games ported over would chug on the system. Metal Gear Substance comes to mind first.

You're very right. Framerate struggles are common on the 360, it's not going to change once they show up on PS3.
post #30 of 44 Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandr View Post

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page