New HDD and Old HDD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I finally got a new HDD for my PS3. It's on the way from Newegg. It's a WD 250GB 2.5 SATA HDD that will replace my 60GB HDD. I also got an external case for my old 60GB HDD so I can use it as a portable HDD for my PC.

So, I was thinking before I formatted the new HDD, I could load it into the case and then format it, then transfer my PS3 game saves, music files, movie and video files, pic files over to the new 250 HDD by connecting it to the PS3 via the USB2.0 cable. Would the PS3 read it? Or, do I need to use my 1GB FlashDrive and do it the slow, long method of transferring it to my PC?

OK, if that wont work, how about installing the new HDD in the PS3, and putting the old HDD in the external case and then connecting that to the PS3 and transferring the files that way. Would that work?

I understand no matter what, I would need to download the game demos again. I'm talking about game saves (PS1, PS2 and PS3), pic files, video files and music files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The new hard drive will have to be formatted by the PS3 for it to work in the PS3. So you will not be able to put the 250 in your external case. The safest way is just add them to a flash drive. It really isn't as slow as you think, I have done it twice now.

PSN: Mobius570
XBL: Mobius570
Wii: Some silly number I can't locate
TWW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius_570 View Post

The new hard drive will have to be formatted by the PS3 for it to work in the PS3. So you will not be able to put the 250 in your external case. The safest way is just add them to a flash drive. It really isn't as slow as you think, I have done it twice now.

I've got about 40GB of crap do transfer. That means 40 times with the FD. Not into that.

What's the "Back Up" feature about? Could I use that after I formatted the new HDD? I'd have to install the new HDD, format it, take it out, switch back the old HDD in, 'Back Up' files to the new HDD in the external case, or that wont work either?

I appreciate your help.
post #4 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's what you could do.

Put the new 200GB in the external case, format it with a PC (FAT32, you might need a program like Partition Magic to do this, Windows XP can only format 32 GB on FAT32).
Use the Backup feature of the PS3 to back up everything to the 200GB.
Now plug it into a PC and copy all the backup files to an internal HDD.
Swap the HDD in the PS3, take the 60GB out and into the external case.
Plug the now-external 60GB into the PC, format it and copy the backup files to it.
Format the new 200GB in the PS3, plug in the old 60GB with the backup files now on it, and use the Restore feature.

Obviously this assumes you have a PC with at least 60GB free (or however much data you have on it that you need to back up).
post #5 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 PM

Liked: 11
could you not copy the ps3 backup files from the 200GB straight onto the PS60GB HDD in the external case (after formating it)?

this would save a cpl steps, save time and HDD space.

once i fill up my 60GB ill buy a bigger drive, no need until then, prices are gonna keep falling anyways.

wats the rpm speed and transfer rate of the PS HDD?? will the bigger drive also be faster? can the PS support these higher speeds? thanks
post #6 of 27 Old 07-06-2007, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.D. View Post

could you not copy the ps3 backup files from the 200GB straight onto the PS60GB HDD in the external case (after formating it)?

this would save a cpl steps, save time and HDD space.

once i fill up my 60GB ill buy a bigger drive, no need until then, prices are gonna keep falling anyways.

wats the rpm speed and transfer rate of the PS HDD?? will the bigger drive also be faster? can the PS support these higher speeds? thanks

I think formating the 250 HDD in the external case via the PC is an option, but I'm hoping to avoid it.

I'll just wait until everything arrives on Monday, or Tuesday. I still think I should have no problem with putting the 250GB HDD in the PS3, format it, stick the 60GB HDD in the external, then download the files from it to the new HDD. Why wouldn't the PS3 be able to read it now it's in an external unit? That shouldn't matter, should it?

Oh, the transfer rate of the HDD is 425mb/sec, I think. HDD RPM speed has nothing to do with it, really. Response time on the HDD matters most. Some people notice response time increased over the 20GB HDD when replaced with larger HDDs, so I hope I get a boost in speed as well. I doubt I will, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not 100% sure of everything.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-06-2007, 06:11 AM

I'm afraid I tried what you're suggesting when I upgraded my 60gig drive to a 160gig drive. I first took the internal PS3 disk out and put it into an external USB 2.0 enclosure, but the PS3 refused to recognize anything on the external disk, even though it had previously been inside the PS3, and was presumably formatted correctly, and etc. The PS3 firmware just isn't set up to deal correctly with that scenario.. I believe it assumes a certain directory structure for external drives that wasn't present on the formerly internal one.

The backup utility will work, but it is an all-or-nothing deal. I wound up purchasing an 8gig compact flash card, and then trimming down the contents of the 60gig disk until the backup image fit onto the card. This entailed deleting a few gigabytes of re-installable game data files, some trailers, and some downloaded games.

Once I got things down to the size that would fit on the card, I swapped out the hard drive, and was surprised to see that upon the PS3 starting up and formatting the 160gig drive, all of my profiles were still remembered.. apparently the PS3 keeps user account details in non-volatile flash ram on the motherboard.

I then put in my compact flash card and ran the restore process, and it put everything back as it had been after I trimmed the system down.

You might consider the expense of getting a third hard drive (as small as you can) in an external USB 2.0 enclosure and using that for the backup utility target, if you have locally installed video, audio, and photo files that you don't want to lose.

If all you really have to worry about is game saves and downloaded PSN content, I'd just wipe out the downloaded PSN content and plan on re-downloading it after you upgrade your drive.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-06-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Put the new 200GB in the external case, format it with a PC (FAT32, you might need a program like Partition Magic to do this, Windows XP can only format 32 GB on FAT32).
Plug the now-external 60GB into the PC, format it and copy the backup files to it.
Format the new 200GB in the PS3, plug in the old 60GB with the backup files now on it, and use the Restore feature.

Obviously this assumes you have a PC with at least 60GB free (or however much data you have on it that you need to back up).

This is what I did when I upgraded my HDD. It worked just fine using this method. The 60GB portable HD has been wonderful for transferring all of my pictures to when I travel.
post #9 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I was surprised to find out my package came yesterday. I spent all evening getting the swap ready. I just used my 1GB Flash Drive to move my files. Took a while, but I got it done.

I got the 250 and put it in with only one problem. One screw on the HDD 'cage' stripped and it took 25 minutes to deal with it. I hate when that happens. Everything else, and I mean EVERYTHING else only took 6 minutes to do. Yep, that's how it goes, sometimes. One little piss-ant thing screws up your day. Anyway, I got it in and found my 250GB was only 232, a loss of 18GB. Yikes, that's steep! After formatting, the PS3 took 27GB of that for a end total of 205GB to play with. Ouch! But, it's better than 55GB.

OK, as I said, I also got an external case for the old 60GB HDD and I'm having big problems with it. Like was said, the PS3 wouldn't recognize it. So wont my PC. Actually, my PC indicates there's a "USB Storage Device' connected, but it wont show up in the "My Computer" section. Therefor, I cannot format it. I also used the supplied CD, and the USB drivers are for Windows 98 only and wont work.

I went to the manufac. website and downloaded the driver, which again, is only for Windows 98. And saved it, and ran it in Windows 98 and it still wont work. It will start to download the drivers, but then I get a bunch of error messages and that it cannot download the entire file.

Now what do I do? Take my USB 60GB HDD to a different computer, and try to format it there? Anybody else go through this?
post #10 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

What about just backing up everything to a USB stick(if it is not large enough, slowly put it on a computer), switch the HDD, then put the data back on from the stick?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hero View Post

Now what do I do? Take my USB 60GB HDD to a different computer, and try to format it there? Anybody else go through this?

You need to use Disk Management to partition the drive before you can format it.
post #12 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You need to use Disk Management to partition the drive before you can format it.

Yeah, I've done that now. I didn't know I needed to do that. It's running OK now.
post #13 of 27 Old 07-08-2007, 02:35 AM

I hear you about those screws. Mine stripped also, and I had to use some needle nose plyers to deal with it. Why would you use the softest metal you can find for a screw with such a little philips opening? They should have used a hex screw or something to make it less prone to stripping.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarycall View Post

I hear you about those screws. Mine stripped also, and I had to use some needle nose plyers to deal with it. Why would you use the softest metal you can find for a screw with such a little philips opening? They should have used a hex screw or something to make it less prone to stripping.

Ditto. The blue screw in mine stripped so easily. It seemed like they made the screw out of tinfoil.
post #15 of 27 Old 07-08-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hero View Post

.....I got it in and found my 250GB was only 232, a loss of 18GB. Yikes, that's steep! After formatting, the PS3 took 27GB of that for a end total of 205GB to play with. Ouch! But, it's better than 55GB.

Were you expecting 250gig out of your HDD before your PS3 used some of it??

Too much information, Too little time! Can we have 36 hour days?
post #16 of 27 Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Old thread but I wanted to say thanks. I used this information to swap my HDD tonight. Worked like a charm. Thanks again for the help.

PSN/XBL scrub175
post #17 of 27 Old 07-10-2008, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I just got my 320 GB WD Scorpio from ebay ($72 shipped!) and I dont' know when I'm going to be able to put it in. It's sitting here staring at me but I need to backup and restore my PC before I can reformat my external HD to FAT32 so I can use it to back everything up.

Grrr... I wish I had time to do it.

Anyone know how much free space you'll have after you format a 320 Gig?

post #18 of 27 Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I installed a 320 gb HDD. The PS3 indicated 298 gigs after install with about 263 ish available to use. After restoring the 60 gig HDD contents I have about 227 gigs left.

PSN/XBL scrub175
post #19 of 27 Old 07-11-2008, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach scrub View Post

I installed a 320 gb HDD. The PS3 indicated 298 gigs after install with about 263 ish available to use. After restoring the 60 gig HDD contents I have about 227 gigs left.

Wow, thanks for telling me that, I didn't want to get my hopes up. I must admit, that's a little underwhelming. Thank God I went with the 320.

I have been trying to figure out a way for me to do this install tonight without my 250 GB external and I think I got it. I'm going to first take all my music and stuff and manually back that up. Then I'm going to uninstall and delete all the downloaded games and demos and I'm going to see what I have left. I should be well under my ipod's 20 GB and it's already formatted to FAT32 so I should be able to use that with no problem.

Anyone have any idea the normal amount of space that should be restored after deleting the games and stuff? I want to get an idea of how much I need to put onto my ipod.

Thanks in advance.

post #20 of 27 Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach scrub View Post

Manufacturers state their hard drive capacity's using 1,000,000,000 bytes = 1GB... whereas it's actually 1,073,741,824 bytes = 1Gb.... so a 320 Gb hard drive only really has 298 Gb as you found out
post #21 of 27 Old 07-12-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

Manufacturers state their hard drive capacity's using 1,000,000,000 bytes = 1GB... whereas it's actually 1,073,741,824 bytes = 1Gb.... so a 320 Gb hard drive only really has 298 Gb as you found out

True that. Plus the PS3 removes/consumes/prevent use from 298 to 263 on my machine at least. May be more or less on other machines.

I couldn't remember the conversion thanks for the info.

PSN/XBL scrub175
post #22 of 27 Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just got done doing exactly this and it worked like a charm. Using the deal alert, I was able to plop in a 320gb Samsung HDD into my PS3 and I'm proud to report I now have 258gb free.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to these threads.

Quik

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #23 of 27 Old 07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikzilver View Post

I just got done doing exactly this and it worked like a charm. Using the deal alert, I was able to plop in a 320gb Samsung HDD into my PS3 and I'm proud to report I now have 258gb free.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to these threads.

Quik

Isn't it great?

I got the 320 Gig WD Scorpio for $72 on ebay.

I have 250 gigs free after all my game installs and music/videos were put back on.

post #24 of 27 Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

It's truly a beautiful thing! I wish I could do the same thing with my 360!

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #25 of 27 Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm down to 175 gigs so I ordered a 1tb ext HDD from zipzoomfly for 199. Should be here tomorrow. I've been ripping movies to my ps3 like a mad man since the HDD upgrade.

PSN/XBL scrub175
post #26 of 27 Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 AM

Am I screwed?

Received the blinking red light of doom, was dead for about a year. During that time, bought a 750 GB HD. Recently paid to have the system fixed, and he swapped in the new HD & formatted for free. However, he lacked another working PS3 to transfer the data from the original HD. Is there any way to import/transfer my profile & data from the old, now external, HD to the new installed one?
post #27 of 27 Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyPack2000 View Post

Am I screwed?

Received the blinking red light of doom, was dead for about a year. During that time, bought a 750 GB HD. Recently paid to have the system fixed, and he swapped in the new HD & formatted for free. However, he lacked another working PS3 to transfer the data from the original HD. Is there any way to import/transfer my profile & data from the old, now external, HD to the new installed one?

If it is the same PS3 you should be able to put the old HDD back into the PS3 and then transfer most game saves (some are copy protected) to a flash drive (or to the cloud with PS+). You could also do a system backup of the old HDD to an external drive and then restore that backup to the new HDD, this should allow you to copy almost everything over.

If there is anything on the new HDD drive that you want to keep, I would recommend backing that up before switching HDDs in and out.

PSN = Hatcher14
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page