Lets talk about Home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, lets talk about Home. First do you even think its a good idea? Next, what would you like to have included in Home? Finally, what SHOULDNT they include.

Some things I think should be included.
- You can play music off of your harddrive in your house. Wouldn't that be cool. You could even go to the house of small bands and listen to tunes.
- You could play videos off of your hard drive on a TV set in home.
- Another thing that is supposedly definitely in the works is showing your pictures in your home, again very cool for us home theater enthusiasts.
- Now, some might disagree with this, but I would also like to see a lot of oppurtunies for marketing. That is, I would love to be able to walk into a virtual store and check out some things and have the option to buy them from PSN. Maybe I could walk over to "Fox Land" over "Virtual Universal Studios" and download trailers for movies that are coming out. These could be updated by the studios rather than Sony, so we might see more frequent content.

Somet things I dont want to see.
- Dont ever make me pay for the basic service. I dont mind being nickled and dimed for extra stuff like games and really cool stuff for my house, but dont make me pay monthly to walk around, chat, put basic media in my house, and play games.
- Don be slow! The graphics dont have to be that great on this thing, just make sure it runs smoothely and I can navigate easily.
- Dont force me to have to watch anything. Again, this goes into ease of use. I dont mind advertising and such, but make it a part of the environment, that way I can check it out if I want to. I dont want to have to sit through an advertisement b/w sequences.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. I think home has a lot of potential. I hope by around a yr from now it is looking good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd like to have menus that are quick and simple. I guess I just don't see the point of having "FOX LAND" where you go to download trailers, etc. Why not just have a menu and select "Movie Trailers" then have all them listed there? I'd rather not see a limited selection here, then have to 'walk' to another section to see another limited selection of what's on the PSN.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post

I'd like to have menus that are quick and simple. I guess I just don't see the point of having "FOX LAND" where you go to download trailers, etc. Why not just have a menu and select "Movie Trailers" then have all them listed there? I'd rather not see a limited selection here, then have to 'walk' to another section to see another limited selection of what's on the PSN.

Again, because these things might not be on the PSN. Since they are in their own area, Fox could keep them updated however they like. I understand where you are coming from, but there are some advantages to navigating a 3 dimensional world, as opposed to 2 dimensional menus.

As an example I'll use World of Warcraft. Anyone here ever play that. The towns in WoW are setup in such a way that you can easily navigate stores and locations and easily find information and goods that you are looking for. Its all about interface, I really think a well developed 3 dimensional interface can be very compelling. However, it has to be fast and work smoothely.
post #4 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never played WoW so I don't know what you're saying really. However, I think we just have different tastes. You like games like WoW and the social aspects. I personally don't care and just want to get the information I need as quick as possible.

I fail to see how 3-D menus can be quicker or easier than 2-D stores. I want trailers, I select 'Trailers' and pick from a list. No going to another spot or walking around. Just seems pointless to me.

Not trying to make this thread a bashing thread, just discussing a bit. I'll keep it down now since you are probably looking for more people that are into the Sims and doing things that way. Doesn't hurt me unless that's the only way it ends being possible a year from now.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 01:56 PM

It's where the heart is!
post #6 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've never played WoW so I don't know what you're saying really. However, I think we just have different tastes. You like games like WoW and the social aspects. I personally don't care and just want to get the information I need as quick as possible.

I fail to see how 3-D menus can be quicker or easier than 2-D stores. I want trailers, I select 'Trailers' and pick from a list. No going to another spot or walking around. Just seems pointless to me.

Not trying to make this thread a bashing thread, just discussing a bit. I'll keep it down now since you are probably looking for more people that are into the Sims and doing things that way.

Actually I hate Sims. Anyway, I dont think your bashing I think your preference is probably shared by a lot of people. Indeed, a proper 2D interface will certainly almost always be faster than having to run to location to do something, or even going into a 3D world and then using a 2D interface.

My preference for a 3D interface would be the compelling entertainment options like sharing music, pictures, trophies, and video with other gamers. This is certainly a social aspect to gaming and if you are not into this I can definitely see why this wouldnt be appealing to you. Additionally, I think the idea of going into a social area to find gamers to multiplay with is more compelling than just being matched. Although I would hate to see the faster matchmaking system go away.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 02:56 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

It needs to load very quickly. As quickly as possible.

PSN: YstadYakuza
post #8 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't want Home to be obtrusive to my playing experience. At no point should the service ever slow me down in an effort to provide a interesting interface. In other words, it shouldn't be any more obtrusive than the XMB, in terms of loading and beyond.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe8598 View Post

OK, lets talk about Home. First do you even think its a good idea? Next, what would you like to have included in Home? Finally, what SHOULDNT they include.

Some things I think should be included.
- You can play music off of your harddrive in your house. Wouldn't that be cool. You could even go to the house of small bands and listen to tunes.
- You could play videos off of your hard drive on a TV set in home.
- Another thing that is supposedly definitely in the works is showing your pictures in your home, again very cool for us home theater enthusiasts.
- Now, some might disagree with this, but I would also like to see a lot of oppurtunies for marketing. That is, I would love to be able to walk into a virtual store and check out some things and have the option to buy them from PSN. Maybe I could walk over to "Fox Land" over "Virtual Universal Studios" and download trailers for movies that are coming out. These could be updated by the studios rather than Sony, so we might see more frequent content.

Somet things I dont want to see.
- Dont ever make me pay for the basic service. I dont mind being nickled and dimed for extra stuff like games and really cool stuff for my house, but dont make me pay monthly to walk around, chat, put basic media in my house, and play games.
- Don be slow! The graphics dont have to be that great on this thing, just make sure it runs smoothely and I can navigate easily.
- Dont force me to have to watch anything. Again, this goes into ease of use. I dont mind advertising and such, but make it a part of the environment, that way I can check it out if I want to. I dont want to have to sit through an advertisement b/w sequences.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. I think home has a lot of potential. I hope by around a yr from now it is looking good.

That's a good list.

I'm not that sociable a person but Home looks like fun to me. In particular I like the idea of being able to meet up in Home and then jump right into a game. Like in the case of a Resistance clan, members could goof around together sharing pictures or videos, or playing a game of pool instead of sitting in some chat room or sending PMs back and forth.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I say they make a direct copy of Orgrimmar or Ironforge so that us WoW (or ex-WoW , like me) guys can be used to navigating. =)
Nah, but honestly, I really hope its not tedious as to having to run from place to place wasting time just like WoW ::gets flashbacks of putting inventory into auctions then running back to mailbox and so on:: ::sigh::

Gamertag: Dominikin
PS3 username: Dominikin
post #11 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post

I say they make a direct copy of Orgrimmar or Ironforge so that us WoW (or ex-WoW , like me) guys can be used to navigating. =)
Nah, but honestly, I really hope its not tedious as to having to run from place to place wasting time just like WoW ::gets flashbacks of putting inventory into auctions then running back to mailbox and so on:: ::sigh::

I should have never used that example. Forget the running around. I'm just talking about the idea of having areas with different goods and services available.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL I know I know ... a dropdown menu to choose your destination so that you can just go straight there would be nice. Don't know if thats already in the works in Home. Like if I want to go to ... uh ... I don't know ... EAWORLD ... I can just click it on the menu and boom, I'm there.

post #13 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Good thread.

I am very very foggy on the whole concept of Home. The only thing I gather is that its some sort of centralized place where everything will be tied together. I like that aspect. However what I'm not so sure about is this 3d world I'll be walking around in. Personally I want to meet online to join games with friends, perhaps send some messages. Thats it. If that is a chore via the home interface I will not be happy. Basically am I going to have walk all around in order to find people and do that? Am I wrong to be concerned from what I've seen?

Quote:

What he said...

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
post #14 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

What I do like is say for instance you're online in Home and none of your friends are on, you can easily just bump into someone or just announce in the lobby that you're lookin' to play such n' such game ... anyone wanna play? And it makes it a better way to make friends, etc. Just hope we don't get those 9 year old XBOXers that are really immature.

post #15 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm in the Home beta & I'm looking forward to some of the things they showed at E3.
The meeting friends & going straight into an online game from home looks good as did the add ons in your "apartments".
And I am hoping there is an ignore button for all the racist potty mouthed 12 year olds that make me shut off my bluetooth headset in Motorstorm!!

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #16 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
One one hand I really like one Idea Phil talked about during the conference and thats where third parties could have areas of their own where you could go and chat or hook up for games with people who are also fans of that game.

But then my common sense kicks in and I recall how much trouble UO, EQ COH, WoW etc have with nutcases. From spammers to pedophiles these interactive enviroments bring out the worst in people. As someone with a 12 year old I can say there is no way I will be letting my son near Home and I hope there is a parental lock so it can be blocked.

Blizzard has thousands of people policing their servers and still you have problems. What are the odds Sony can control Home once it takes off? (Tens of millions of gamers)

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #17 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

One one hand I really like one Idea Phil talked about during the conference and thats where third parties could have areas of their own where you could go and chat or hook up for games with people who are also fans of that game.

But then my common sense kicks in and I recall how much trouble UO, EQ COH, WoW etc have with nutcases. From spammers to pedophiles these interactive enviroments bring out the worst in people. As someone with a 12 year old I can say there is no way I will be letting my son near Home and I hope there is a parental lock so it can be blocked.

Blizzard has thousands of people policing their servers and still you have problems. What are the odds Sony can control Home once it takes off? (Tens of millions of gamers)

Good point, it would be nice if they created some pretty stringent locks in order to keep the little ones away from the baddies. One idea would be where you could lock it so that you could only interact with people who are on your friends list.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe8598 View Post

One idea would be where you could lock it so that you could only interact with people who are on your friends list.

Good idea.

post #19 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

The meeting friends & going straight into an online game from home looks good as did the add ons in your "apartments".

Honestly, I see my virtual apartment as being a four walls, a roof (maybe not) and a cot lol ... I just don't know if I'll be putting in the time to hook up a virtual apartment.

post #20 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 05:51 PM

I can see the value in the service to promote bands like myspace does. What I hope the future brings is a complete variety for online shopping along with the social interaction.

"Give us the tools, and we'll finish the job." Winston Churchill
"manuscipts don't burn" Mikhail Bulgakov
Psn id: Tandr
post #21 of 21 Old 07-16-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Home issnt for everyone. I know its not for me. I just wanna play games.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page