**TVersity-->PS3 Master Thread** Users, please chime in! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 314 Old 11-11-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I discovered something I think is pretty cool, but maybe you guys already know as I didn't read ALL the info here already.

Let me preface by saying that I just saw the note from the tversity admin that said that in 2.0 sony fixed the REW/FF/PAUSE so we can use it, but I still don't know how good that will be (ie how fast you can ff or rew).

So, what I found out is that you can copy files off the media server list to the hdd. And it transcodes them on the fly - quickly. I think it was around 15 minutes for a 700mb file. Then, you can just watch it off the hdd and pause and ff/rew up to 120x speed. The only problem I had with it was that it only grabbed 59 minutes of a 1hr 37min movie. The same movie had also stopped playing at exactly 59 minutes when I was streaming it off the server. I don't know why this happened? I'm guessing it has something to do with the new 2.0 firmware.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know, that if your movies are playing alright right now and/or once tversity fixes the bug, you can download them transcoded and store/play them on your hdd. The transcoding is so much faster than converting on my computer here, that is why I think this is an advantage. 15 minutes to code AND transfer is way better than ~ 30 min or so to code, and at least 10-15min to transfer.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 314 Old 11-11-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnooby View Post

Me Too. I also tried the older version of TVersity (along with the PS3 patch) that is recommended in the youtube video. It won't connect either.

I've added the Tversity to the exceptions in the firewall, and configured port forwarding in my wireless router.

The thing that bugs me is that the PS3 communicates flawlessly with MP11. MP11 works well with WAV files, but I cannot get it to add FLAC files to its library, which is why I'm now trying to get TVersity to work.

I can access TVersity on my local PC by going to 127.0.0.1:41952 so I know it is running properly on my PC.

I forgot to mention that I'm also running Vista like bshor & mcmush.

Noircogi - What did you eventually do to get it to work on Vista?

Has anyone else gotten TVersity to work on Vista?
post #93 of 314 Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:

I forgot to mention that I'm also running Vista like bshor & mcmush.

Noircogi - What did you eventually do to get it to work on Vista?

Has anyone else gotten TVersity to work on Vista?

OK Guys, I figured it out.

For those of you with Windows Vista:
Open Windows Firewall
Click: change settings
Click: settings tab
Click: Add program button
Highlight: TVersity Media Server
Click: OK
Make sure TVersity is checked
Click: Add Port
Name: TVersity
Port: 41952
Select: TCP
Click: OK

This did it for me. I had added the TVersity exception to Windows Firewall, and the port to the wireless router, but apparently the port number also needs to be added to the Windows Firewalll.

Hope this helps.
post #94 of 314 Old 11-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

The transcoding is so much faster than converting on my computer here, that is why I think this is an advantage. 15 minutes to code AND transfer is way better than ~ 30 min or so to code, and at least 10-15min to transfer.

Interesting find. Hadn't considered the benefit until you spelled it out.
post #95 of 314 Old 11-11-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am getting no sound from any of my videos. I get great video and speed, not choppy at all. I've got a wired connection between the server and PS3. Did I miss a setup instruction during the install. I did have a small problem with the PS3 seeing Tvserity. I had to move the ps3 to the DMZ.

Anyone know some settings I should check to make sure the audio is setup correctly on TVersity or FFDSHOW. I tried looking at the FFDSHOW audio configuration but couldn't figure out what I should change and what I should leave alone.

Dual CPU user
post #96 of 314 Old 11-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Keeping people updated on the fix

Quote:

Fix is coming in the next couple of hours, sorry for the delay and thank you all for your patience. This new release has many other great features and the final set of tests we needed to do took longer than expected.

Edit:
Version 0.9.11.2 with 2.0 firmware fix is out.

PSN:Trav_Kool-Breeze
TWC - NYC, N. Manhattan
CISCO 8642HDC ODN 7.2.0_5

post #97 of 314 Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 AM

Sadly, the fix helps with transcoded files but does nothing for those of us who put our media into the supposedly PS3-native AVC formats that played so well until Thursday, but now suck to badly. Per the link below, Tversity will issue a patch that should help the PS3 play those files, but with reduced functionality, but Sony is the one that broke this and it looks like they are the only ones who will be able to fi it.

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic...=asc&start=105
post #98 of 314 Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 PM

I just finished ripping the majority of my music in .FLAC format but they're being cut short now
There'll probably be a fix for this issue from the TVersity guys soon (i know they're working on it), but I've now started ripping my collection again, this time in good old MP3 @ 320kbps. The sound's not as good but at least MP3 is more widely recognised by music systems and players. 16 cd's done, 350 to go
Guess I'll just wait until the PS3 recognises one or more of the lossless formats and then rip my collection again.

"What are you waiting for, you're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are"
post #99 of 314 Old 11-13-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sli123 View Post

I just finished ripping the majority of my music in .FLAC format but they're being cut short now
There'll probably be a fix for this issue from the TVersity guys soon (i know they're working on it), but I've now started ripping my collection again, this time in good old MP3 @ 320kbps. The sound's not as good but at least MP3 is more widely recognised by music systems and players. 16 cd's done, 350 to go
Guess I'll just wait until the PS3 recognises one or more of the lossless formats and then rip my collection again.

Errrm, dude rip them to lossless then just convert to anything else on the harddisk. You shouldn't have to re-rip if you did it the first time in lossless (check out dbpoweramp converter to convert lossless to another lossless or to mp3 ).

I just wish I could get Tversity to work again with flac files, I gave up reading them from the fileserver (it can't see the tags for some reason) and copied them to the media server machine but now it just locks up when I try to play them, either locally in the Tversity window or on the PS3.

I'm sure it worked at one point but I've been installing loads of new Tversity versions and codec packs trying to get the reading tags from another fileserver working.

Anyone who has Flac working to the PS3 say which version of TVersity they have, which codecs they have installed and what version of windows media player they have?
post #100 of 314 Old 11-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailean View Post

Errrm, dude rip them to lossless then just convert to anything else on the harddisk. You shouldn't have to re-rip if you did it the first time in lossless (check out dbpoweramp converter to convert lossless to another lossless or to mp3 ).

I just wish I could get Tversity to work again with flac files, I gave up reading them from the fileserver (it can't see the tags for some reason) and copied them to the media server machine but now it just locks up when I try to play them, either locally in the Tversity window or on the PS3.

I'm sure it worked at one point but I've been installing loads of new Tversity versions and codec packs trying to get the reading tags from another fileserver working.

Anyone who has Flac working to the PS3 say which version of TVersity they have, which codecs they have installed and what version of windows media player they have?

Mine works great now.

Vista
WMP 11
TVersity 0.9.10.8 (I had tried 9.11.2, but found it not as stable so I went back).
FLAC 1.2.1b

I use EAC to rip my music (with secure mode and accuraterip) into CUE/WAV files.

I use foobar2000 to convert the WAVs to FLACs.

I found that using FB2K creates FLACs that read well in WMP and TVersity.
post #101 of 314 Old 11-15-2007, 03:29 AM

I've ripped my entire CD collection to CUE/WAV and have them stored on my PC HD. I then used foobar to convert these into FLACs which it did quite well.

I now have them streamed/transcoded through TVersity to my PS3. Everything is working very well too.

I do have one question though:

Is there a way to have the PS3 playback an entire album that is streamed through TVersity? So far, all I have figured out how to playback is individual songs. The PS3 will not let me add them to its playlist, and I see no other way of doing it.

Please, any help would be much appreciated.
post #102 of 314 Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 PM

Any songs that are in the same folder will be played. So if you have things arranged by album, just play any song and the PS3 will go on to the next song once the first is done.
post #103 of 314 Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyidie View Post

Any songs that are in the same folder will be played. So if you have things arranged by album, just play any song and the PS3 will go on to the next song once the first is done.

For some reason or another mine does not. I did upgrade to 0.9.11.2 because my songs were getting cut off with the previous version, but since upgrading, the songs do not advance. I guess I will have to wait for the next version of TVersity to come out. What version are you using?
post #104 of 314 Old 11-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:

For some reason or another mine does not. I did upgrade to 0.9.11.2 because my songs were getting cut off with the previous version, but since upgrading, the songs do not advance. I guess I will have to wait for the next version of TVersity to come out. What version are you using?

Damn you're right. I was using an older version but since upgrading I'm experiencing the same problem. Looks like its a confirmed problem on their boards.
post #105 of 314 Old 11-20-2007, 12:45 AM

Looks like its back with the latest PS3 firmware. Just played through a streamed folder.
post #106 of 314 Old 11-20-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I need some help from the Tversity PS3 experts.

I just set-up Tversity on my PC but I am having issues seeing photos on my PS3. I am trying photos first and then I'll move up to music and videos after I get thru this problem . My problem is that PS3 does not show the photos I uploaded on the server library. My GUI in the PC shows the photos in the library. Also my PS3 sees TVersity but the folders have no content. The PS3 says "there are no titles" Anyone has some idead on what I could be doing wrong?

I have tried restarting the PS3, the PC, stopped and restarted the server, and turned off the firewall but non of those things worked. The setup was done by following the guide on Tversity website.
post #107 of 314 Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Are you using the "Photo" bar on the XMB before you open the photos folder? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but it's a little confusing that the photo folder is available under the other media icons.
post #108 of 314 Old 11-21-2007, 08:49 AM

After having lots of difficulties with TVersity (I eventually got the PS3 to recognize it after opening up the firewall ports, but viewing music and photos was too clunky -- eg, no tags in photos?), I uninstalled it.

But now I can't get the PS3 to recognize good old Windows Media Sharing from my Vista machine. Is there any way to restart this server? I tried rebooting the Ps3 and the computer....

I don't think I have to open up any ports manually as with TVersity, right? It worked perfectly by itself with no intervention last time...
post #109 of 314 Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Yeah, that is confusing. My problem is solved. I had a typo in the port number. Now it works. Thanks
post #110 of 314 Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 PM

Figured it out -- turns out that upon install Windows Live OneCare, I had to reenable Windows Media Connect through its firewall.

I always thought that firewalls protected me against the outside world, not from myself!
post #111 of 314 Old 11-26-2007, 01:53 PM

Liked: 11
I got a PS3 a couple days ago to use as a BD player and media player to hopefully replace another box on my set.

I've gotten through the normal configuration problems of firewalls and seeing the server etc., but have another one.

On the PS3, playing media - mpeg2 video streams, PCM 2 channel audio (.WAV) - will play for a few seconds, then pause for a number of seconds, then start again, and repeat the pattern. An mp3 audio file will go through ok.

This is not a transcoding problem (I've disabled the transcoding). It isn't a host or network bandwidth problem either. If I set up my MG350 as a tversity client on the same switch, and the samples play flawlessly (same tversity configuration as used with the PS3).

I am really new to using the PS3, is there something obvious I am missing on the PS3 side?
post #112 of 314 Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 AM

For some reason when using the Tversity and the PS3 it plays some avi files and not others, same size and everything (I am using the new version of tversity I dont think this happened with the older one but it could be a fluke) Any ideas?? Do I need to update the ffdshow or get something better than ffdshow. What settings are people using with the ps3 and tversity. Thanks
post #113 of 314 Old 11-27-2007, 11:24 AM

AVI is a container, and can contain media compressed with different codecs. Are you able to play all of the AVI's on the tversity computer? Is ffdshow configured to be available to all users and all programs?
post #114 of 314 Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 PM

I'm still having problems with video streaming in 2.01. I can not watch a movie all the way through.. The system Freezes with the last frame image on the screen and the only way to get it to unfreeze is to turn it off.. Controller or remote no longer works, so I have to press and hold power to shut the system down. Totally hung state. It happens at random points, seemingly after the a certain amount of data has been streamed.. the higher the quality of video, the faster it freezes.

I'm using Twonky/Tversity (all non transcoded) - both with the same result, so it's not the DNLA.

Previous to version 2.0 I was able to stream all of these same files without a problem, except only in 2.0 stereo. There is some sort of limitation, with regards to stream or buffer or something.

I'm talking MPEG2+AC3 .TS or .M2TS files that are over 10 gig in size.. Or M2TS files with AVC/H264+AC3 also in excees of 10 GB?

Kudos to sony for adding AC3 5.1 for the streamed video and video from the XMB, but you've introduced a bug that prevents me from watching my collection, which I was able to do previous to firmware 2.0

2.01 fixed the time length and we can now get past that 2GB mark, but it will always freeze before the videos finish.

Anyone else experiencing this, so I can stop troubleshooting my setup?
post #115 of 314 Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 PM

I'm having tons of issues having my PS3 even SEE the TVersity server.

I turned of Windows firewall, and my router's firewall settings have the TCP port opened.

PS3 just says "No media servers were found"

TVersity is running, and I've only picked a movie folder.

I can access the web client perfectly fine as well.
post #116 of 314 Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 AM

I think I found the problem you cant have this thing running on the administrator. Has anyone got it running under the administrator or did they have to set up another profile.

Wierd thing when i set up the profile and changed the logon rights it would not play on the computer but worked great on the PS3 any ideas. From reading they say it does not access all the FFDShow under admin?
post #117 of 314 Old 12-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

I was able to get Tversity to work with my PS3 on my first try. This is my first time using a media server like this and it's pretty slick.

I know that this is a noobie question, but how do I create playlists that Tversity will recognize in the "Playlist" sub-folder?

I use itunes on my PC typically and I don't think that their playlists are compatible w/ Tversity.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
post #118 of 314 Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

I have my PS3 running through my main PC with Tversity, and mapping Tversity to point to my NAS PC which runs Linux. Everything seems to work okay other than the DVD rips that have .vob files. I guess you have to merge them all into one large .vob and label them. Otherwise you have several hundred .vob files to sort through.

I am still working on getting a .mkv file to play on the PS3. I am going to try copying it to the hard drive.
post #119 of 314 Old 12-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

Everything seems to work okay other than the DVD rips that have .vob files. I guess you have to merge them all into one large .vob and label them. Otherwise you have several hundred .vob files to sort through.

What about creating a hard link from the .vob file to a .mpg file? I did this by creating some .mp4 files hard linked to the original .m2ts output from my camera, and these will play on the ps3 via tversity.
post #120 of 314 Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikasauce View Post

I was able to get Tversity to work with my PS3 on my first try. This is my first time using a media server like this and it's pretty slick.

I know that this is a noobie question, but how do I create playlists that Tversity will recognize in the "Playlist" sub-folder?

I use itunes on my PC typically and I don't think that their playlists are compatible w/ Tversity.

I created my playlists in WMP11. When I saved each playlist I think I had to change the "Save as type:" to M3U Playlist (*m3u)

Then I just went to the folder location, right clicked and chose the share via TVersity option from memory.

Hope this helps.

"What are you waiting for, you're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are"
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page