The PS3 helped me make a nice lil' birthday present for my mom - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-05-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
It may sound strange, but in about two hours or so I made a cool present that I gave my mom (along with a Mexican cruise ). Here's what I did:

- I nabbed a bunch of family photos, including some of her growing up, her kids, and her grand kids. For 29 cents each, the physical photos were digitized at a local Walgreen.

- On my computer I arranged the selected photos in order by naming them 1-40, saved in a "birthday" folder. If I needed to squeeze a couple of photos in the middle later on, I named it, for example, 13a, 13b, etc. That way they always stayed in order. Captions can be easily put on the photos, but I chose not to.

- I put the folder of photos on to my PS3.

- Then I connected the PS3 (out via S-Video and audio cables) to a DVD recorder's S-Video in. From there I connected the DVD recorder to my TV so I could see the XMB and hear the sounds.

- With the PS3 on I went to the music player, selected one of her favorite songs and put it on repeat play. Then I pressed 'select' until all of the on-screen info disappeared.

- I then pressed the PS 'Home' button to go back to the XMB (music still playing). I moved over to the Photo section and hovered over the birthday folder.

- Next I put a recordable DVD into the player's drive.

- Without opening the photo folder, I pressed Triangle and then selected one of the five photo viewer programs 20 seconds before the song in the background was about to replay itself.

- As soon as the viewer started, I paused it on the first photo (it can be a greeting/intro jpg if you make one). Also I used Triangle->Viewer Speed option to make it transition the photos at the pace I wanted.

- Just before the song restarted, I hit record for the DVD player and then unpaused the photo viewer.

- I had previously tested to see how many photos it took to last through the entire song, so once the tune ended on the final photo of the entire family I stopped the recording.

It may sound like a lot, but it is pretty simple. And surely you guys have tried the photo viewers on the PS3 to know how cool some of them are. No PS3 text ever appears on-screen if you do as I describe, and it has a real professional look to it in the end. I finalized the DVD and played it for her on a projection screen at a big surprise party we put together and everyone loved it.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-05-2007, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I made $200 on a project doing the *exact* same thing.

Someone wanted a slideshow made for a graduation and it was last-minute, so there really wasn't much time to get especially creative.

For most of my photo montages, I use After Effects, so that I can have stock footage in the background and have more control over the zooms and pans. Otherwise, the PS3 is really an amazing photo slideshow maker. The facial recognition is really impressive.

What I would like to do is be able to capture footage to a PC and then replace the standard black background with some stock footage, as well as be able to fix photos that the PS3 messed up on. I haven't really played around with it too much.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-05-2007, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does the facial recognition program work?

SDF
post #4 of 5 Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
The PS3 knows where faces are in a picture so it'll slow pan and zoom to a face as it transitions from photo to photo. It adds a very professional look to the slideshow.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yeah, my fiance and I were playing around with the slideshow feature and was really impressed by it.

Would have saved me hours of work if I had thought about using the PS3 earlier. Though, I do have more control over the slideshow from my PC. I also have access to better codecs on my PC, and burning software.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page