Is anyone using the PS3 as a music server ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I haven't purchased one yet, so besides playing BD's on it, I would like to use it as my main music source. I currently use a 30 gb ipod and was wondering if I can just use the PS3 to store all my music on it.

Think before you speak....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 PM

Liked: 10
Is your Ipod not serving this purpose well enough? What is the reason that you would want to replace it? The PS3 is supposedly has an update for DLNA, but I'm not sure how well it works. I personally use TVersity and a Denon 4308ci. Works great.
post #3 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM

I just realized that this thread is way OT. Sorry.
post #4 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post

I haven't purchased one yet, so besides playing BD's on it, I would like to use it as my main music source. I currently use a 30 gb ipod and was wondering if I can just use the PS3 to store all my music on it.

I kinda use it for a music server (i use my htpc for that). I have all the music on my pc and stream it to the ps3. the only problem is the PS3 handles ID3 tags wierd. The only way to get music to play tracks in order is by viewing in folders. viewing by albums (which makes more sense to me personally) sorts in alphabetical order. They don't have many visualizations and album art dont show up unless the files are copied on the ps3's hard drive. It works mind you, just not as well as something like windows media center does.
post #5 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Did I post in the wrong forum ?.....The ipod is hooked up through an analog cable to the receiver and I would prefer to not have to disconnect and then connect my ipod all the time, as opposed to sharing the files of the PS3 over my network and play music to anywhere around the house.....in other words music from the ipod is limited to one location.

Think before you speak....
post #6 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
i've heard the complaint about track order several times, and I don't doubt it is a problem. However, my music is displayed in correct track order on my PS3. I have about 45gb worth of music on it, and everything seems to work fine. Maybe it is an issue with the id3 tags. Works fine for me though...i organized the tags (and filled in missing info via Brainz) using "mp3toys".
post #7 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Did I post in the wrong forum ?.....The ipod is hooked up through an analog cable to the receiver and I would prefer to not have to disconnect and then connect my ipod all the time, as opposed to sharing the files of the PS3 over my network and play music to anywhere around the house.....in other words music from the ipod is limited to one location.

Yes. There is a PS3 forum, and a PS3 thread here. I can understand the ipod thing, but have considered using a PC as a server and just streaming the music to your PS3? There is no reason to have the actual files on the PS3.
post #8 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Naw you didn't post in the wrong section, its just that all of the bs about paramount being posted, you probably caught some people off guard by not threatening to sell your ps3.

So I understand it right, you want to have the ps3 as the server and other devices as the clients? If so I don't think that's possible. I think the DLNA implimentation in the PS3 is client only. You can't share that media on the system. The easiest solution I've found is to have it on a PC and share it out to other devices. My 360, PS3, laptop, and cellphone (sometimes) all point towards my HTPC for music and it works well enough.
post #9 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post

Naw you didn't post in the wrong section, its just that all of the bs about paramount being posted, you probably caught some people off guard by not threatening to sell your ps3.

So I understand it right, you want to have the ps3 as the server and other devices as the clients? If so I don't think that's possible. I think the DLNA implimentation in the PS3 is client only. You can't share that media on the system. The easiest solution I've found is to have it on a PC and share it out to other devices. My 360, PS3, laptop, and cellphone (sometimes) all point towards my HTPC for music and it works well enough.

You really don't think PS3 music serving is OT in the BD player forum?
post #10 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

i've heard the complaint about track order several times, and I don't doubt it is a problem. However, my music is displayed in correct track order on my PS3. I have about 45gb worth of music on it, and everything seems to work fine. Maybe it is an issue with the id3 tags. Works fine for me though...i organized the tags (and filled in missing info via Brainz) using "mp3toys".

I used tag n rename on all of my mp3's (checks amazon.com for missing tags, album art, etc) and on every other device (ipod, zune, 360) and other id3 capable software views tags properly. It's just the ps3 that I'm having trouble with. How are you viewing your music? Try navigating through the album or artist "folders" and let me know if the tracks are still displayed in order (meaning by track number). I'll try mp3toys and see what happens.
post #11 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

You really don't think PS3 music serving is OT in the BD player forum?

Not really. he's just discussing one of the other features of the bd player. the mods'll move it if they feel its inappropriate. besides having 1 thread not about microsoft paramount or michael bay is a good thing.
post #12 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

viewing by albums (which makes more sense to me personally) sorts in alphabetical order. They don't have many visualizations and album art dont show up unless the files are copied on the ps3's hard drive. It works mind you, just not as well as something like windows media center does.

I discovered recently that the behavior on the PS3 is very much dependent on the server software you're using. I switched from Media Player to TwonkyMedia and that one *does* allow proper track order and gives you all sorts of options for how to navigate through your music on the PS3. For instance, you can set up to browse by the first 1-5 letters of an artist, then all of their albums. It also does stream the album covers.

I do agree that this is off topic, but oh well.
post #13 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks steve, ima give twonky a try
post #14 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You can also plug your Ipod right into the PS3 and directly copy everything right to the hard drive. I did this off my Nano, and I also stream from my computer to access my full library...
post #15 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

You can also plug your Ipod right into the PS3 and directly copy everything right to the hard drive. I did this off my Nano, and I also stream from my computer to access my full library...

Are you streaming from a Mac? If so, what media server? -thanks

Member of AVS FORUM folding@home team, (team #55280)
post #16 of 37 Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM

I'm using it as a music and picture DLNA client and it is fantastic! The server is a PC running Linux as an OS and Twonkymedia as the mediaserver. You can do the same on a Windows PC with Twonkymedia, TVersity, several others, even WMP11 has a sharing feature.
post #17 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 02:42 AM

I gotta say, I'm loving the PS3 as a media server. I only hooked it up 4 days ago and I'm not a big gamer, but I'm pretty impressed. I've installed TVersity on my pc (very simple and very effective) and I also use WMP. I'm streaming all my music, photo's and videos to the home theatre wirelessly. I also got an appropriate keyboard and can comfortably surf the web from my lounge using the HT (although the browser isn't real great).
I'm currently living o/s so I'm also rapt to be able to stream my "hometown" radio stations to my HT. Again, I'm having a few minor issues with disconnection but I'm hoping that if it's a PS3 fault it'll be fixed with one of the updates they regularly put out.
In the end I guess your satisfaction with the PS3 will depend on what you want it for and whether there's other pieces of kit out there that do the same job better for less money. I wanted it for hi-def dvd's, media streaming and internet surfing, with gaming being an added bonus.
If the two issues I mentioned can be sorted out (by me if it's my set-up or by Sony if it's the PS3's fault) I'll be a very happy camper!
In any event, do your research and make an informed decision based on your own needs. Good luck.
S.

"What are you waiting for, you're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are"
post #18 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there anyway to listen to music while playing ps3?
post #19 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Is there anyway to listen to music while playing ps3?

No, not yet.
post #20 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

its supposed to be coming, but noone knows when
post #21 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

its supposed to be coming, but noone knows when

Then engineers said it is already a feature, the game developers actually have to implement it in their games for it to work though. It is not like the 360 where it is always available.

Gamertag: Ikazu
post #22 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist View Post

Then engineers said it is already a feature, the game developers actually have to implement it in their games for it to work though. It is not like the 360 where it is always available.

i dont put much stock in what sony says lately. until its out and useable, its pretty much a rumor as far as im concerned.
post #23 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, I'm confused. For those with TVersity, you guys are not having any problems at all? When I turn on my PS3 and go to Audio and bring up my music, it takes a long time for all my 45+ gigs of music to load up completely. Do you guys get the same thing or does it just pop up? Also are you guys wireless or wired and also what router?
I'm going to upgrade to the D-Link Gaming Router but for now I'm using the Linksys WRT54G

Gamertag: Dominikin
PS3 username: Dominikin
post #24 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Things I like about it:
1. It's quiet (the unit) vs turning on my PC in the same room..
2. Remote control.
3. Visualizer is cool...

Things I don't like about it:
1. Track order is wrong for many albums.
2. Organization sucks - what organization? You can only "group" by 2-3 different categories, that's it. No playlists. No folders even.
3. Does not properly read the ID tags of AAC (iTunes) files. Song title only.
4. With HDMI out, it plays all music in 7.1 PCM which precludes the use of surround-sound processing like Dolby PLIIx.
post #25 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post

ok, I'm confused. For those with TVersity, you guys are not having any problems at all? When I turn on my PS3 and go to Audio and bring up my music, it takes a long time for all my 45+ gigs of music to load up completely. Do you guys get the same thing or does it just pop up? Also are you guys wireless or wired and also what router?
I'm going to upgrade to the D-Link Gaming Router but for now I'm using the Linksys WRT54G

Yeah, I have about 15 GBs that I stream from my PC and it takes a few seconds, but it isn't too bad. I also have my stuff saved to a USB external HDD, and it takes the PS3 forever to cue up the vids and audio on it.
post #26 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Things I like about it:
1. It's quiet (the unit) vs turning on my PC in the same room..
2. Remote control.
3. Visualizer is cool...

Things I don't like about it:
1. Track order is wrong for many albums.
2. Organization sucks - what organization? You can only "group" by 2-3 different categories, that's it. No playlists. No folders even.
3. Does not properly read the ID tags of AAC (iTunes) files. Song title only.
4. With HDMI out, it plays all music in 7.1 PCM which precludes the use of surround-sound processing like Dolby PLIIx.

You have it good, on my setup I only get PCM Stereo on music and PS2 games unless I go in a cut all audio but DD and DTS off which is a pain..
post #27 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I use it as a music server and I have several of my favorite CD's as lossless on the harddrive.

I find it easier to cue up the PS3 when I'm demo-ing my system to friends.

I don't have to search for media each time. It's all in one place.
post #28 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:

I kinda use it for a music server (i use my htpc for that). I have all the music on my pc and stream it to the ps3. the only problem is the PS3 handles ID3 tags wierd. The only way to get music to play tracks in order is by viewing in folders. viewing by albums (which makes more sense to me personally) sorts in alphabetical order. They don't have many visualizations and album art dont show up unless the files are copied on the ps3's hard drive. It works mind you, just not as well as something like windows media center does.

The problem of tracks showing up in order on the PS3 is solved by listing them by Artist / Album, it is lower on the list than just Album. That will show you album names inside each artist, then when you list the album, it is in track order.
post #29 of 37 Old 08-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Better yet, dont keep it on your PS3, keep it on your PC and stream it to your PS3 to make it a music server. It works great. I know have access to over 3000 songs on my PS3 from streaming it from my PC.

Oh ya and to make it easy, create playlists in WMP11, then just hit play playlist from the PS3 and BAM your all set.
post #30 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everman View Post

The problem of tracks showing up in order on the PS3 is solved by listing them by Artist / Album, it is lower on the list than just Album. That will show you album names inside each artist, then when you list the album, it is in track order.

for me listing by artist/album doesnt fix the track order, theyre all done alphabetically. the only view that does it right going through viewing my music in folder structure which takes so much longer.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page