WipEout HD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1017 Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207

!!!The game has been officially released on the PlayStation Network!!!

ign.com absolutely loves it by scoring the title 9.0 out of 10 in their review (snippet):

Quote:

WipEout was the first game I truly geeked out over. I didn’t just play it to death; I obsessed over the developer, the art style, and the soundtrack. In my opinion, this is still the game that best represents the PlayStation brand, and WipEout HD is a fine addition to the series. The best elements of Pure and Pulse on PSP have been streamlined and presented in silky-smooth high definition, plus it has the price-point of downloadable content with the substance of a full retail title. I simply can’t find a reason for any PS3 owner not to purchase this title and dare I say that WipEout HD sets a very good precedent for non-believers to hop on board the Sony train.
WipEout HD is a fantastic experience through and through. Though it's a downloadable title and runs one-third the cost of a full retail disc, it could have been packaged on a Blu-ray disc and sold in stores for full price and we would've been happy to pay for it. The game is immensely polished from start to finish, the controls feel fantastic, and really, it's the best WipEout game we've played in a long, long time. Do not miss this one.

From Sony's fact sheet:

Quote:

• PS3 – Get ready to experience Wipeout® in full-HD 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second on PS3, exclusively available for download from the PlayStation Store. Greater processing power of PS3 enables more immersive visuals and sound effects in Wipeout HD, heightening the speed within the stunningly beautiful tracks and environments.

• SIXAXIS – Wipeout HD provides full support of the SIXAXIS wireless controller to give the player a variety of choices and depth of control unseen in any previous iteration of Wipeout.

• Tracks – A selection of the best tracks taken from previous Wipeout titles, meticulously crafted and fully reworked from the ground-up to showcase the full-HD resolution. Tracks include the new Mag-Strips feature, which causes ships to be temporarily locked to the track surface, allowing greater variety and dynamism in track design and introducing track features such as loops, vertical drops and 90-degree angled sections.

• Teams – Wipeout HD features eight teams from Wipeout® Pulse, including: Feisar, Assegai, AG-Systems, Qirex, Piranha, Triakis, Goteki45 and EG-X.

• Seven Race Modes – Wipeout HD features seven race modes, including: Single Race, Tournament, Time Trial, Speed Lap, Zone Mode, Elimination and Head-2-Head.

• Race Campaign – The Race Campaign feature contains many unique predefined race events to give an all new sense of progression for the player.

• Race Rules Customization – Wipeout HD offers full customization of race rules, allowing the player to tailor their own race experience.

• AI Pack Racing – Wipeout HD introduces Artificial Intelligence (AI) pack racing to keep players under pressure and on the edge of their seats.

• Weapons System – A refined weapons system includes three new weapons: The Repulser, Shuriken and Leach Beam.

• Difficulty Levels – Wipeout HD offers three difficulty levels; adjustable independent of speed class.

• Photo-Mode – The Photo-mode feature allows players to be able to pause the game both during a race and the post race parade lap so that they can take a snapshot which they can then save to their PS3 HDD. These Photos can then be uploaded to the Wipeout HD website and traded between players.

• Online Multiplayer – Up to eight players will be able to compete against each other in a range of online races, across several game modes:
o Single Race
o Tournament
o Elimination
o Team vs. Team (Two-player team based multiplayer races)

• Player Profile and Community Website – Website TBA
o Each player will have an extensive game profile that charts their progress and records for all the usual record lap times for races and fastest laps as well as statistics concerning weapons use, ship selections, favorite modes and most played tracks.
o Players will be able to connect to the main Wipeout HD website from within the game and receive updates and information, such as records, stats and tips. In addition, players can upload their own profile, allowing the creation of a global statistics list for all to see.

• Additional Content via Download – Extra game content will be made available to download and plug directly into the main game, including extra teams and ships, extra tracks and additional events for the race campaign mode.

• Music – Wipeout HD features nine fully-licensed music tracks, remixed in 5.1.

See the game in action in this Feb '08 video!. Also, here is a description of each track in the game:

Quote:

# Vineta K – On the southern shores of Makana Island, the circuit at Vineta K snakes in and out of the ocean and across the beaches. The highlights of this 4.4km track include spectacular underwater tunnels and cutting-edge architecture along the waterfront.
# Chenghou Project – The feature-packed circuit at Chenghou Project weaves its way around the offices and corporate buildings of Makana Island's business district. The 4.8 km track contains a tricky inverse-cambered spiral and culminates in a long jump into the tunnelled entry of the final chicane.
# Sebenco Climb – The 4.8 km Sebenco Climb track is cut into the hillsides of Makana's Sebenco mountain range. It features a steep traverse up the snowy mountainside, followed by a breathtaking plunge into an icy tunnel carved through the very heart of the mountain. The final section takes pilots through a challengingly tight chicane before they swing back onto the grid.
# Sol 2 – The 4.4 km Sol 2 circuit hangs suspended in the clouds high above Makana Island. Consisting of a series of fast-flowing, occasionally open-sided corners linked by sweeping straights, the combination of harsh sunlight and blind summits ensure that Sol 2 is a test of nerve for every speed class.
# Ubermall – In the heart of Makana Island's commercial zone is Ubermall, a 4.6 km circuit built into a vast shopping centre. The latter half of the track contains a brief split which rejoins into a narrow hill, followed by an outdoor park section that leads swiftly to the finish.
# Anulpha Pass – The 5 km Anulpha Pass track is located in a custom-built entertainment arena on the east side of Makana Island. Although the track looks deceptively simple from above, the undulations of the track surface and narrow skill-cut are enough to keep any racer on their toes.
# Moa Therma – The immense man-made complex of Moa Therma is located just off the northern coast of Sicily, with around a third of the track surface built using mag-strip technology. The centrepiece of this 5.3 km circuit is the gigantic horizontal loop which sits just above sea level.
# Metropia – The 4.7 km Metropia circuit weaves its way between the skyscrapers and traffic control towers that dominate the Kyoto skyline. Glass-bottomed track surfaces and a stunning vertical mag-strip drop into the depths of the city are just two of the highlights of this popular track.

Here's a great April 2008 video preview from 1up. It demonstrates motion control with the SIXAXIS as well as other cool features in the game.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1017 Old 08-22-2007, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah, I think the sixaxis should work well with this gameplay style too.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #3 of 1017 Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
as long as sixaxis control isn't mandatory I'm interested. Pics look like FZero on the gamecube kind of.
post #4 of 1017 Old 08-22-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't imagine the six-axis will be mandatory. The control scheme is already there. I'm sure it'll give you a choice just like Motorstorm, Warhawk, etc.

I've loved Wipeout for a long time. This makes me very happy. now, I need a new 1080p Sly Cooper game that's better than 3...

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #5 of 1017 Old 08-22-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Sweet! This is a definite pickup game for me.
post #6 of 1017 Old 08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

as long as sixaxis control isn't mandatory I'm interested. Pics look like FZero on the gamecube kind of.

Except that only ran in 480p. I kind of like the clean look of the game. Some games add so many special effects, it ends up looking blurry, not to mention chugging framerates.

I'll take 60fps, 1080p, and razor sharp, not unlike Ninja Gaiden Sigma.
post #7 of 1017 Old 08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Prayers Answered!!!!!!!
post #8 of 1017 Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

The UK Store has a Leipzig video that has about 15-20 seconds of Wipeout HD footage.

Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie....

post #9 of 1017 Old 08-22-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Except that only ran in 480p. I kind of like the clean look of the game. Some games add so many special effects, it ends up looking blurry, not to mention chugging framerates.

I'll take 60fps, 1080p, and razor sharp, not unlike Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

I meant the style, not the graphical detail. I agree though, give me better gameplay and framerates.
post #10 of 1017 Old 08-22-2007, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

question, is this a touch up of the old game upscaled or something or is it a complete remake?

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
post #11 of 1017 Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Man, am I waiting for this game!!!

The original Wipeout is the best game ever for me! I would sure like the see some of the tracks and soundtracks on that new sequel... well... I still have the original so they can skip the soundtracks.
post #12 of 1017 Old 08-24-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I look forward to it.
post #13 of 1017 Old 08-26-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Added a new preview and some pics to first post.

post #14 of 1017 Old 08-26-2007, 11:35 AM

i loved the orginal, some good times there. multiplayer online would be great fun.
post #15 of 1017 Old 08-26-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Go view a nausea inducing HD clip HERE.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #16 of 1017 Old 08-26-2007, 08:47 PM

This game looks great!!! Has their been any word on the price?
post #17 of 1017 Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

New info from GamesRadar:

Quote:

Sony's Studio Liverpool has revealed to GamesRadar the eight racing teams that will appear in WipEout HD when the game is released via the PlayStation Store later this year. They are:

• FEISAR
• Piranha
• AG Systems
• Triakis
• Goteki 45
• Assegai
• EG-X
• Qirex

With the exception of EG-X (which is new to the upcoming PSP title, WipEout Pulse), fans of the series will be familiar with all the featured teams. It's also highly likely that this roster will eventually increase in number through additional downloadable content.

As for which tracks will appear, so far we've seen WipEout Pure's Anulpha Pass and Chenghou Project. The developer is keeping the identity of the other six circuits a secret for now, although we do know that two will be taken from WipEout Pulse and the rest will be from WipEout Pure.

I hope WOXL tracks become available via downloadble packs. Yes, microtransactions are of the devil, but I wouldn't be able to resist if it were offered .

post #18 of 1017 Old 09-17-2007, 02:19 PM

Do we know when this is coming?
post #19 of 1017 Old 09-17-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

November I think.

post #20 of 1017 Old 09-17-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Wipeout was the only racing game I ever bought for my PS1.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #21 of 1017 Old 09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The video looks really nice.
post #22 of 1017 Old 09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just give me the Pirahna ship.
post #23 of 1017 Old 09-17-2007, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I am so psyched for this game.

post #24 of 1017 Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
It's like F-Zero, but actually in HD, and actually having a chance of ever coming out after Miyamoto passed his verdict on the series.
post #25 of 1017 Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Wipeout was the only racing game I ever bought for my PS1.

Same here! Firestarter!

John
post #26 of 1017 Old 09-17-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The original introduced me to Redbull.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #27 of 1017 Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
great game but I cant help but say, How can you take advantage of the 60fps when your bumpin into walls every 5 seconds ha ha ha. Wipeout has always been hard for me.
post #28 of 1017 Old 09-18-2007, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Even more details from Sony's fact sheet, courtesey of PS3Center:

Quote:

Sony has put out an official fact sheet for Wipeout HD for the PS3 stating that it will be released this fall, before the end of 2007!

Wipeout HD is going to feature full 1080p high-definition graphics and run at an amazing 60 frames per second on the PlayStation 3.

Fans of Wipeout have been waiting for this release for quite some time. The game is going to be sold as an exclusive game on the PlayStation Store as a download only.

The fact sheet includes...

• PS3 – Get ready to experience Wipeout® in full-HD 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second on PS3, exclusively available for download from the PlayStation Store. Greater processing power of PS3 enables more immersive visuals and sound effects in Wipeout HD, heightening the speed within the stunningly beautiful tracks and environments.

• SIXAXIS – Wipeout HD provides full support of the SIXAXIS wireless controller to give the player a variety of choices and depth of control unseen in any previous iteration of Wipeout.

• Tracks – A selection of the best tracks taken from previous Wipeout titles, meticulously crafted and fully reworked from the ground-up to showcase the full-HD resolution. Tracks include the new Mag-Strips feature, which causes ships to be temporarily locked to the track surface, allowing greater variety and dynamism in track design and introducing track features such as loops, vertical drops and 90-degree angled sections.

• Teams – Wipeout HD features eight teams from Wipeout® Pulse, including: Feisar, Assegai, AG-Systems, Qirex, Piranha, Triakis, Goteki45 and EG-X.

• Seven Race Modes – Wipeout HD features seven race modes, including: Single Race, Tournament, Time Trial, Speed Lap, Zone Mode, Elimination and Head-2-Head.

• Race Campaign – The Race Campaign feature contains many unique predefined race events to give an all new sense of progression for the player.

• Race Rules Customization – Wipeout HD offers full customization of race rules, allowing the player to tailor their own race experience.

• AI Pack Racing – Wipeout HD introduces Artificial Intelligence (AI) pack racing to keep players under pressure and on the edge of their seats.

• Weapons System – A refined weapons system includes three new weapons: The Repulser, Shuriken and Leach Beam.

• Difficulty Levels – Wipeout HD offers three difficulty levels; adjustable independent of speed class.

• Photo-Mode – The Photo-mode feature allows players to be able to pause the game both during a race and the post race parade lap so that they can take a snapshot which they can then save to their PS3 HDD. These Photos can then be uploaded to the Wipeout HD website and traded between players.

• Online Multiplayer – Up to eight players will be able to compete against each other in a range of online races, across several game modes:
o Single Race
o Tournament
o Elimination
o Team vs. Team (Two-player team based multiplayer races)

• Player Profile and Community Website – Website TBA
o Each player will have an extensive game profile that charts their progress and records for all the usual record lap times for races and fastest laps as well as statistics concerning weapons use, ship selections, favorite modes and most played tracks.
o Players will be able to connect to the main Wipeout HD website from within the game and receive updates and information, such as records, stats and tips. In addition, players can upload their own profile, allowing the creation of a global statistics list for all to see.

• Additional Content via Download – Extra game content will be made available to download and plug directly into the main game, including extra teams and ships, extra tracks and additional events for the race campaign mode.

• Music – Wipeout HD features nine fully-licensed music tracks, remixed in 5.1.

Expect news on a confirmed release date shortly.

post #29 of 1017 Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
>SIXAXIS

Uh-oh. I hope they let us turn it off.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
post #30 of 1017 Old 09-18-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It also says:

Quote:

...to give the player a variety of choices and depth of control

So no need to worry IMHO.

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page