Warhawk Beta Users: Tips & Tricks? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Being that I did not get in on the beta for Warhawk, I was wondering if the beta users might share some tips and tricks picked up from their experience to date. Anything to help this noob with being 'respectable' out of the shoot would be appreciated.

See below for combined input thus far:

-Fly the warhawks with motion sensing turned on
This allows you to fly in one direction and aim in another

-Learn the maps

-Don't fly alone.
If you really want to rack up air kills, have a wingman or two. Double and triple team other hawks. If you fly alone, they'll do the same to you.

-Stick your thumb out.
When playing "zone" matches, have the hawk pilots let you ride shotgun for a drop off at the closest Zone Point at the start of the match. The quicker you secure your zones the better.

-Do what's needed when it's needed.
Don't get in the habit of doing the same things over and over. If you suck in a hawk, then don't sacrifice one over and over. Try ground warfare. Try and attack as a team and defend as a team. Don't just do your own thing out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I second that...

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #3 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

??? hmmm... let's see.... it's been so long... I'm kind of drawings a blank. I would definately recommend flying the warhawks with motion sensing on. It seems like you have a LOT more control (even though I'm much better on the ground than in the air).

post #4 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz View Post

??? hmmm... let's see.... it's been so long... I'm kind of drawings a blank. I would definately recommend flying the warhawks with motion sensing on. It seems like you have a LOT more control (even though I'm much better on the ground than in the air).

interesting, thats the first time i've ever seen someone say they prefer motion controls over the traditional controls (for any ps3 game, not just warhawk). i haven't played warhawk but i would assume it would be better.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
PSM pretty much says you're an idiot for getting in a warhawk because they are weak air/ground weapons and pretty much anything on the ground can kill you fairly easily.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #6 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

interesting, thats the first time i've ever seen someone say they prefer motion controls over the traditional controls (for any ps3 game, not just warhawk). i haven't played warhawk but i would assume it would be better.

Its not a matter of liking it or not. There are more control options available when you use motion sensing, since the flight controls dont take up the analog sticks. You can fly in one direction and aim in a completely different direction.

If you can learn to use it, it does give an advantage. The good thing is that motion sensitivity and dead-spot are all configurable, so you can really fine tune the controls to your liking.

We dont know how the weapon balance has been adjusted since the beta, so I wont recommend anything about weapons to use, etc.

Just knowing the maps is the simplest advantage you can gain over a lot of people.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousBraham View Post

Its not a matter of liking it or not. There are more control options available when you use motion sensing, since the flight controls dont take up the analog sticks. You can fly in one direction and aim in a completely different direction.

Very cool This is the first real application for the Sixaxis I've seen that didn't make me roll my eyes and vomit a little. I'll definitely be trying it out now.

I'm getting very excited for this game. It sounds like it's got a great dev team behind it and we are bound to get tweaks/maps/etc supported for it in the future.

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #8 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

-Don't fly alone.
If you really want to rack up air kills, have a wingman or two. Double and triple team other hawks. If you fly alone, they'll do the same to you.

-Stick your thumb out.
When playing "zone" matches, have the hawk pilots let you ride shotgun for a drop off at the closest Zone Point at the start of the match. The quicker you secure your zones the better.

-Do what's needed when it's needed.
Don't get in the habit of doing the same things over and over. If you suck in a hawk, then don't sacrifice one over and over. Try ground warfare. Try and attack as a team and defend as a team. Don't just do your own thing out there.

-Don't listen to PSM!
They are so wrong about Warhawk it's damn scary!

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #9 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks everyone - keep it coming. I pulled input received to date in the first post.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Learn to love the landmines. You can rack up some major points on defense using nothing but these, especially in CTF games. Conversely, if you're on offense always fire a few rounds or toss a grenade to clear out any mines before grabbing a flag.

You can't flip the jeep or tank and they take little if any fall damage so feel free to drive them right off a cliff or down a hillside to save time.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
RE: proximity mines continued....

-These were one of the few unbalanced weapons in the beta. Don't know if they adjusted them or not, but they take the word "proximity" very seriously! They'll blow within a virtual 15 foot radius.

-When driving Jeeps or tanks, don't watch the horizon, look directly in front of you. People mine the most well traveled ground routes heavily (especially tunnels where the dark shadows obscure the mines)

-Tanks can be a monster in the right hands. In my experience, the best weapon against them is the flamethrower. Though it doesn't make much sense (a tank made of 3/4" heat-treated steel isn't going to bat an eye at a flamethrower), they'll take'em down from zero damage in about three seconds, if you're close enough.

-In a close-quarters combat, there are often better suited using the knife instead of a gun. One slash, one kill is how it worked in the beta. I hope they don't make it this way in the final build, but check it out. Also, the standard pistol was much more powerful than the assault rifle....which makes zero sense.

-If you're a loner like me, your favorite weapons will be the binoculars & a sniper rifle. The beenos are used to call in air strikes and will destroy any ground-based target in one shot. Downside? It takes a good five seconds to lock on, which can leave you exposed to sniper and rocket fire. You also have to wait a good minute before you can use them again. Sniper rifles will also take down a stationary Warhawk in two shots (at least they did in the beta....Incog may have tweaked the weapons balance since).

-When flying Warhawks, take note of where the weapon pick-ups are on each map. They're in the same place every time. Always know where to find a health pick-up and the starburst chafes (these'll save your ass many a time!)

-Arguably the most powerful weapon in the game is a purple-colored icon for Warhawks, aka the TOW Missile. This is a remote fire weapon that is controlled via a first-person camera. It can be sped up and slowed down, just like a Warhawk, as well as banked left and right. The pros will steer it right into a group of ground soldiers and obliterate them. This was the weapon of choice for one of the top beta players, Gergination (Incog tester). You'd always know when he was camping the TOW missile because he'd get 6 or 7 kills at a time.

-In Capture-the-Flag matches, some idiots thought it would be a good idea to wait for a member of their own team to get the flag, make it all the way back to home base, then team-kill him and take the flag and the 50 points that go with it. The official servers will kick and ban you for this, thankfully.

Good luck!

Avarice
post #12 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I found that you really need to pick which type of 'fighter' you want to be. Ground, or air. At least at first. I could fly well enough to get around, maybe a few kills but I would never score high so I started just using the planes as transports. So I learned how to rack up the points on the ground. It is a piece of cake to shoot down Warhawks. It is fun as well.

Ground turrets are insainly powerful. They can take out most warhawks with one shot especially the heat seekers. You can also take out other turrets and enemies on the ground with them.

I would usually find a place to stake out that had a turret and a good sniping position. There is usually a couple spots like that on every map. Then I would shoot down any warhawk in the sky and snipe anyone that tried to come near me. You'll get bombed occasionally once they figure out where you are, but not until you killed them multiple times.

When doing this, I was usually always ontop of the leaderboard.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

motion sensing is harder to learn, but would definately provide an advantage given the independent gun turrets. However, how much are you willing to die to gain that experience?

Sony pay me 10 beeeelion dollars to plant blu-ray seeeeds.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm more of a behind enemy lines kinda guy. In other words, sneaking into their base, using their tanks, pistolaing them, mining their vehicles, etc. You'd be surprised at how disruptive one person can be doing hit and runs.

How well you do kinda depends on your style of play. Find out how you like to play and what you do, and adopt your strategy to that.

post #15 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

RE: proximity mines continued....

-These were one of the few unbalanced weapons in the beta. Don't know if they adjusted them or not, but they take the word "proximity" very seriously! They'll blow within a virtual 15 foot radius.

True. I'd see the mine, stop, then get blown up. That needs to be tweaked.
-When driving Jeeps or tanks, don't watch the horizon, look directly in front of you. People mine the most well traveled ground routes heavily (especially tunnels where the dark shadows obscure the mines)

True. When you use the mines, do so strategically. I've seen people lay mines all bunched together and wide out in the open. When one blows, all of them blow. A complete waste.

-Tanks can be a monster in the right hands. In my experience, the best weapon against them is the flamethrower. Though it doesn't make much sense (a tank made of 3/4" heat-treated steel isn't going to bat an eye at a flamethrower), they'll take'em down from zero damage in about three seconds, if you're close enough.

Problem is getting close enough. Of course the tank has harder time aiming at you when you're in very close range. Almost all the other weapons except the prox mines & binos take too many hits to kill. 4 from the launcher, 5-6 grenades.

-In a close-quarters combat, there are often better suited using the knife instead of a gun. One slash, one kill is how it worked in the beta. I hope they don't make it this way in the final build, but check it out. Also, the standard pistol was much more powerful than the assault rifle....which makes zero sense.

Yeah, hope they increased the damage on the rifle. Makes more sense for the pistol to be better close range, and rifle more damage medium range. Pistol was definately my favorite weapon.

-If you're a loner like me, your favorite weapons will be the binoculars & a sniper rifle. The beenos are used to call in air strikes and will destroy any ground-based target in one shot. Downside? It takes a good five seconds to lock on, which can leave you exposed to sniper and rocket fire. You also have to wait a good minute before you can use them again. Sniper rifles will also take down a stationary Warhawk in two shots (at least they did in the beta....Incog may have tweaked the weapons balance since).

I never did like that about the sniper rifle. I think the binos provide better balance though. Sniper rifle should have increased range.
-When flying Warhawks, take note of where the weapon pick-ups are on each map. They're in the same place every time. Always know where to find a health pick-up and the starburst chafes (these'll save your ass many a time!)

Yeah, I kinda wish it would be random spawn for ALL the weapons. Makes it more fair than having someone keep grabbing the binoculars or whatever from the same spot.

-Arguably the most powerful weapon in the game is a purple-colored icon for Warhawks, aka the TOW Missile. This is a remote fire weapon that is controlled via a first-person camera. It can be sped up and slowed down, just like a Warhawk, as well as banked left and right. The pros will steer it right into a group of ground soldiers and obliterate them. This was the weapon of choice for one of the top beta players, Gergination (Incog tester). You'd always know when he was camping the TOW missile because he'd get 6 or 7 kills at a time.

One strategy to counter is to hover near the TOW pretending to fire. You'll attract the other warhawks who THINK you'll be a sitting duck.

-In Capture-the-Flag matches, some idiots thought it would be a good idea to wait for a member of their own team to get the flag, make it all the way back to home base, then team-kill him and take the flag and the 50 points that go with it. The official servers will kick and ban you for this, thankfully.

Thankfully. The ****** thing is that on very fierce fighting, your teammates can get caught in the crossfire from prox mines when they blow up the baddies. Think I've been kicked for too many TKs because of this.
Good luck!

f

post #16 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hey guys I am noob at these console games, (PC all the way), anyway can anyone enlighten me on the warhawks. i.e. is there a limited number available like battlefield 2 or can anyone who wants one get one?
post #17 of 20 Old 08-25-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post

Hey guys I am noob at these console games, (PC all the way), anyway can anyone enlighten me on the warhawks. i.e. is there a limited number available like battlefield 2 or can anyone who wants one get one?

Anybody who wants one can get one. They respawn quickly, also.

Avarice
post #18 of 20 Old 08-26-2007, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great input everyone. I've made a bunch of mental notes and hopefully this will help me in the learning curve.

Are their any team mate communication protocols? Just curious if people have come up with more effective ways of communicating with the greater team. Seems like it could be a little madhouse without some structure there as well.
post #19 of 20 Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tip for people playing for the 1st time-

Yes, I agree with the above posters, when learning how to fly, turn ON the 6-axis motion sensors and learn with it ON.
(it is harder to first learn using the analog, then later go 6-axis).

In addition, you may want to start out with "Pro Flight Mode" ON.
The flying is totally controlled with the 6-axis, and people have stated they can dodge and maneuver with more accuracy this way, then with the mode OFF. Plus it's fun flying upside down!

I didn't know about this mode, and initally learned the controls with this OFF (It is easier to fly though, and auto-levels you if you don't move the controller), and I had a tough time getting used the the Pro Flight Mode because I was already used to it Off.

I would like to hear other people's thought about this mode, esp. those who primarily use the Pro FLight mode ON.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-26-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
RTFM. Simple little things can be learned from the manual. Don't know how many times someone has asked "Hey how did you do that?" For example, the Warhawks have a turbo burst for a short distance. If you double tap R2 it will give you quick boost. Hold down the fire button to lock on a missle. Little things like this help a lot, but if you don't at least skim the manual you would never know they existed.

PSN: Mobius570
XBL: Mobius570
Wii: Some silly number I can't locate
TWW
My Gaming Rig
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page