post #1 of 24 Old 08-25-2007, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Hi all,

It would be great if someone could answer these questions:

1- How does LAN gaming on PS3s work ? (I don't understand how someone hosts a game using only PS3s without any separate server, can 8 PS3s play a game together for example ? )

2- What are the requirements to do it ? (# of game copies, routers-switches-hubs..etc)

3- Can it be done with all PS3 online games ? or is it only with the games that offer LAN gaming ? (for example can't you set the router in a certain way to play together with you friends via LAN network in games that doesn't offer offline LAN gaming feature ? )

Any help would be really appreciated.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All you need is internet and a wireless router. Then you can connect as many as you want. There is a husband and wife in our Resistance clan that have two PS3s, and this is how they do it. OTOH, I can't remember what the max number of wireless connections to a router at one time is, but it is a bunch.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-25-2007, 11:49 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Some games have a dedicated LAN mode while others just let you connect to the Playstation network from each PS3.

PSN: YstadYakuza
post #4 of 24 Old 08-26-2007, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reading this thread :
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...d=88508#M88508

It seems like you can play offline LAN multiplayer in games that doesn't have a specific feature for LAN gaming (like Resitance).

Can someone please confirm that this actually works ?

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #5 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The link doesn't work.

To lan or online with multiple ps3, you will need a router that gives out ip addresses. I prefer wired, but wireless is usually fine, but sometime can have interference or slowdowns. Each ps3 will need a copy of the game. Each ps3 will need to be configured for online and have the latest update. It is very easy to set up.

Any game that is online, you can play if you can access online. Ps3 online is free. Some games have lan feature. I have 2 and 3 consoles on the same internet connection. The game must be online or lan multiplayer to play on separate screens. I love multi screen gaming. I have 8 mb down and 786 up.

You can also connect to a ps2 for ps2 lan games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

Reading this thread :
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...d=88508#M88508

It seems like you can play offline LAN multiplayer in games that doesn't have a specific feature for LAN gaming (like Resitance).

Can someone please confirm that this actually works ?

LL
post #6 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper View Post

The link doesn't work.

To lan or online with multiple ps3, you will need a router that gives out ip addresses. I prefer wired, but wireless is usually fine, but sometime can have interference or slowdowns. Each ps3 will need a copy of the game. Each ps3 will need to be configured for online and have the latest update. It is very easy to set up.

Any game that is online, you can play if you can access online. Ps3 online is free. Some games have lan feature. I have 2 and 3 consoles on the same internet connection. The game must be online or lan multiplayer to play on separate screens. I love multi screen gaming. I have 8 mb down and 786 up.

You can also connect to a ps2 for ps2 lan games.

link works fine here.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are a few quotes from the thread if the link still isn't working for you (it works fine with me):

Quote:
you dont need to be on the INTERNET to play PS3 Resistance on the LAN.

just go into multiplayer and host a game, and others will be able to join. Just get a few buddies together with some ps3s and get them on your LAN network and you'll be fine.

remember every ps3 needs its own individual unique ip address, perhaps if you have a router it will get all this info automatically, if not
you have to go the manual route

good luck

p.s - you can explore the lan side with just one player if you want to get used to the maps etc, a cool feature i just found out
about resistance. Lonely out there with just one player running around a map lol

Quote:
Thanks for the precisions.

You don't need to be on the internet to play a game in lan mode, of course. What i mean is that you need to have you're network config enable in the system menu of your ps3 to get to your local network...

A router always make a unique ip (by changing the last digit) for each connection so it's litterally plug and play !

Ps3 is perfect for lan party.

I understand from those posts that you can play offline LAN multiplayer games without using the internet in games that doesn't have a specific feature for LAN gaming, can anyone please confirm this ?

post #8 of 24 Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought the game had to have lan to be able to use it? Not sure. Why not go online?

Quote:

Here are a few quotes from the thread if the link still isn't working for you (it works fine with me):

I understand from those posts that you can play offline LAN multiplayer games without using the internet in games that doesn't have a specific feature for LAN gaming, can anyone please confirm this ?

post #9 of 24 Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A bump to an old topic, but I still need a confirmation if it's possible to setup an offline LAN PS3 match with a game that doesn't have a specific feature for LAN gaming.

Quote:

Why not go online?

I don't have access to the internet in some of the places I want to play LAN games in.

post #10 of 24 Old 10-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:

A bump to an old topic, but I still need a confirmation if it's possible to setup an offline LAN PS3 match with a game that doesn't have a specific feature for LAN gaming.

I don't have access to the internet in some of the places I want to play LAN games in.

I'm guessing, but I don't think you'll be able to do this.

I believe that when you go to play online in a game that doesn't have a LAN feature, it tries to connect to a central server. When that connection times out (due to lack of an internet connection) it will likely just pop up a message saying it could not connect.

In regards to the two posts you referred to I believe they are talking about separate things. The first poster is talking about a game that likely does have a LAN multiplayer mode. In that case it doesn't connect to a server until you specify that you want to go on the internet.

The second poster is talking about using the internet to bypass the lack of LAN gaming being integrated.

Which games actually have a LAN mode ? Don't know.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-07-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's try to clear a few things up:

1) What we're talking about here is hooking up some PS3's to each other, using network cables, without connecting to the Internet. If you're still confused about this, here's an analogy which uses phones -- ignore the wireless vs. wired issue and focus on the connectivity portion of this analogy: Think of it as using walkie-talkies instead of phones. The phones require the phone company's infrastructure -- the walkie-talkies do not.

By the way, this is how ALL networking games used to work, when they first came out. I remember playing Doom this way against fellow co-workers after hours on our local network, until the Powers That Be told us we were making too much noise.

2) In order to hook these PS3s to each other, you can't just run a network cable from one PS3 to another. Instead, connect them all (wired or wirelessly) into the same router or switch. This is how they will talk to each other.

3) Using this setup, the games don't connect to a central server. So this only works with games that support this type of "ad-hoc" play. I doubt it would work for "High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition", for instance. I don't know what games support this and what ones do not.

-Dan

PS: I sure hope it works, because I've never actually done it. But I'm a computer geek, so I understand the concepts. gd&r
post #12 of 24 Old 10-08-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 2 ps2 connected to a ps3. I have multiple pcs and xboxs all connected together. Xbox list on the box if they have system link. Its what ms calls lan. Here is a list of ps2 lan games. I'm not sure about ps3 lan games. I think warhawk and resistance have lan.
LAN games. If the game doesn't have lan, I doubt you can play it the way you are describing.

* Armored Core: Nexus
* ATV Offroad Fury 2
* ATV Offroad Fury 3
* ATV Offroad Fury 4
* "Call of Duty 2 Big Red One"
* Colin McRae Rally 2005
* Conflict: Global Storm
* DTM Race Driver 2
* Gran Turismo 4
* Heroes of the Pacific
* Hot Wheels Stunt Track
* IndyCar Series 2005
* Juiced
* Midnight Club II
* Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition
* MotoGP 4
* MTX Mototrax
* Project: Snowblind
* Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
* SOCOM II: US Navy Seals
* SOCOM 3: US Navy Seals
* SOCOM (4): Combined Assault
* Star Wars: Battlefront
* Star Wars: Battlefront II
* TimeSplitters 2
* TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
* Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
* Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
* Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
* Tony Hawk's Underground
* Twisted Metal: Black Online
* Urban Chaos Riot Response
* TOCA Race Driver 3
post #13 of 24 Old 10-08-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

2) In order to hook these PS3s to each other, you can't just run a network cable from one PS3 to another. Instead, connect them all (wired or wirelessly) into the same router or switch. This is how they will talk to each other.

Well, you can connect two PS3s to each other, but you would need a crossover cable and not a standard straight cable.

I'm not totally sure that you can play all PS3 games on a LAN, just on the games that support it. The posters appear to know what they are talking about, but I wouldn't assume anything. Someone brought up the point that you need to be on the PSN to play Resistance multiplayer. Have you tested if this was the case or not? IE, logging out of the PSN and attempting to play host a multiplayer game?

Unfortunately, I only have 1 HD TV at home and 1 PS3, so it's a bit difficult for me to test this for sure, let alone finding friends that have a PS3 AND have the same games as me.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

How does each PS3 distinguish one blue tooth wireless controller from another if you have several PS3s in the same room with controllers for each PS3?

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater/
post #15 of 24 Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
When you hit the PS button the controller is paired to the PS3 and the PS3 assigns it as controller #x. The next controller that is paired is assigned as controller #x+(the number of controllers currently assigned) until all controllers are assigned. The controller has a little light on the front that tells you what controller # you have so you know if you are player 1, 2, 3 etc.

PSN brakel

post #16 of 24 Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwcookjr View Post

How does each PS3 distinguish one blue tooth wireless controller from another if you have several PS3s in the same room with controllers for each PS3?

Each controller is paired only to a PS3. A PS3 that it isn't paired with will not respond.
post #17 of 24 Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post

When you hit the PS button the controller is paired to the PS3 and the PS3 assigns it as controller #x. The next controller that is paired is assigned as controller #x+(the number of controllers currently assigned) until all controllers are assigned. The controller has a little light on the front that tells you what controller # you have so you know if you are player 1, 2, 3 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyidie View Post

Each controller is paired only to a PS3. A PS3 that it isn't paired with will not respond.

I read johnwcookjr's question differently than you guys.

Quote:

IE, if I press the PS button to 1) turn on the PS3, and 2) pair it to a PS3, what's to stop it from turning on and pairing with other PS3s at the exact time? Unless, the controllers were paired before the PS3s were brought together, but what if your friends bring their controllers and not their PS3s?
post #18 of 24 Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

You can pair the controllers with a different system by using the USB cable and then hitting the PS button.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-11-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

I read johnwcookjr's question differently than you guys.

IE, if I press the PS button to 1) turn on the PS3, and 2) pair it to a PS3, what's to stop it from turning on and pairing with other PS3s at the exact time? Unless, the controllers were paired before the PS3s were brought together, but what if your friends bring their controllers and not their PS3s?

Prototep got it, thats how you pair a controller with a different PS3. Once the initial pairing is done the controller is not broadcasting in promiscuous mode to any device that will listen. Once paired, they aren't promiscuous
post #20 of 24 Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Even if the game doesn't have native lan support, you should be able to create your own password PSN server and let only ppl on the LAN play with you. As long as it's a local hosted server there won't be any internet traffic all aside from server reports to the gamematching server(which are very small)
post #21 of 24 Old 10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyidie View Post

Prototep got it, thats how you pair a controller with a different PS3. Once the initial pairing is done the controller is not broadcasting in promiscuous mode to any device that will listen. Once paired, they aren't promiscuous

But, I like my controllers slutty.
post #22 of 24 Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I wish all games had lan. What happens if your internet is out? Why add any lag at all? But your idea is a good one. Just make a room and password protect it if you want privacy. But you mention server. So I have a question. How would you make a personal PSN server? I can make a game, but a server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

Even if the game doesn't have native lan support, you should be able to create your own password PSN server and let only ppl on the LAN play with you. As long as it's a local hosted server there won't be any internet traffic all aside from server reports to the gamematching server(which are very small)

post #23 of 24 Old 10-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks gents

Once a specific controller is paried to a specific PS3 via a USB cable can you disconnect that controller from the USB cable and remain paired to that PS3 "wirelessly" without causing slutty interference with other PS3s in the house?

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater/
post #24 of 24 Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Correct. Let us know how your first lan goes?

Quote:

Thanks gents

Once a specific controller is paried to a specific PS3 via a USB cable can you disconnect that controller from the USB cable and remain paired to that PS3 "wirelessly" without causing slutty interference with other PS3s in the house?

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page