AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilchicken View Post

Green grass and high tides.
Such an amazing song, it's like freebird, only it doesnt take 5 minutes to go into 'awesome' mode.
Are you playing on hard?

my youngest just beat the game on expert (on guitar). Currently ranked 5th or 6th overall. I'm sure that'll change once more folks get the game. He specifically mentioned the green grass song and how awesome the solo was. He said that after 20 or so notes into the solo, it was only at 1% complete. ROFL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Harmonix responds to the lack of functionality of the GHIII controller...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/836/836950p1.html

Quote:

"Harmonix develops and bases all of our games, guitars and other peripherals on open standards established by platform manufacturers such as Microsoft and Sony. Rock Band is no exception and supports an open controller standard. Guitar controllers are like any other standard game controllers--the controller sends a signal back to the game depending on the buttons you push. If a third party game controller is based on open standards, then it should work with Rock Band as well. If certain controllers do not work with Rock Band, questions about those controllers should be directed to the peripheral manufacturer. In addition, we welcome any 3rd party software that wishes to support Rock Band guitars. If a 3rd party guitar / music game does not support the Rock Band guitar controller, questions regarding this should be directed to the game manufacturer."

Red Octane, the company that manufactures Guitar Hero's peripherals, has yet to offer IGN an explanation or official response. According to Harmonix, it's on Red Octane and publisher Activision. It would seem that unless these two can make nice (and realize that fans are the ones being punished), there will be no patch to remedy this situation.

post #273 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

my youngest just beat the game on expert (on guitar). Currently ranked 5th or 6th overall. I'm sure that'll change once more folks get the game. He specifically mentioned the green grass song and how awesome the solo was. He said that after 20 or so notes into the solo, it was only at 1% complete. ROFL.

Oh wow, thats awesome, i will work on my guitar skills after i get sick of the drums (or after i get tendonitis,whichever comes first).
I've been drumming on medium all day long, then i hit Garbage's 'I think im paranoid' in expert and realized i can totally nail that. Of course, its an easy song, but still, feels goooooood.
post #274 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

This is a load of crap. It is directly on Harmonix to fix this issue as well as notify the public BEFORE the release date since they are selling a standalone version of RB for PS3. That is irresponsible.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #275 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

This is a load of crap. It is directly on Harmonix to fix this issue as well as notify the public BEFORE the release date since they are selling a standalone version of RB for PS3. That is irresponsible.

The issue isn't Harmonix, the issue is Red Octane's need to put proprietary crap in all their peripherials in order to lock out any other manufacturers. This is the same reason why we can't get a working adapter to play GH2 on the PS3
post #276 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Just to let everyone know..

That KMart 20% off coupon worked!!!

Picked up Rock Band at Kmart for $135.99.($144 after taxes)

Its still in my trunk, didn't have the nerve to tell my wife yet...
post #277 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilchicken View Post

Green grass and high tides.
Such an amazing song, it's like freebird, only it doesnt take 5 minutes to go into 'awesome' mode.
Are you playing on hard?

YESSS thats the song. Its harder than freebird and Im playing the drums on medium! When it gets to the real fast part I have trouble. I failed on 97% twice!!! Lol, I lose my concentration and start getting out of rhythm lol.

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
post #278 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What can Harmonix do about it? If the GH3 controller uses proprietary coding for the signals, why is it their job to work out everything done differently? It really is Red Octane's fault for making peripherals that don't perform exactly as regular controllers do. There isn't any sensible reason for it. Harmonix definitely should have said something about the compatibility issue before release. It definitely strains belief that they wouldn't have tested this out long ago.

The big question to me is why does it work on the 360? Does MS require all controllers to conform to some standard? I'd guess the answer is yes here. When you hook the 360 GH2 controller up to a PC, you can see exactly how all the buttons are mapped, and there's nothing unusual vs. a regular controller in that respect.
post #279 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

just a FYI the metallica DLC songs are among teh toughest in the game. They kept popping up in BWT with my friend and I. We both do expert on GH3 and were still egtting owned by these songs. They are kick ass songs too.
post #280 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

What can Harmonix do about it? If the GH3 controller uses proprietary coding for the signals, why is it their job to work out everything done differently? It really is Red Octane's fault for making peripherals that don't perform exactly as regular controllers do. There isn't any sensible reason for it. Harmonix definitely should have said something about the compatibility issue before release. It definitely strains belief that they wouldn't have tested this out long ago.

The big question to me is why does it work on the 360? Does MS require all controllers to conform to some standard? I'd guess the answer is yes here. When you hook the 360 GH2 controller up to a PC, you can see exactly how all the buttons are mapped, and there's nothing unusual vs. a regular controller in that respect.

Exactly...if I'm pissed about anything, it's that i can't use the RB Strat for coop on GH3 (which is all on RedOctane/Activision).
post #281 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is just the kind of thing that made me get the 360's version of GH3 instead of Wii or PS3. I almost got the whole set (GH+RB) for the PS3 but stuck with the 360's version. I knew something like this would happen.
post #282 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As much as I'd like to agree with you since HMX would be quick to fix an issue, this is definitely on RO. RO originally made the instruments for GH1 and 2 so know well and good what they did with GHIII. Maybe its something to do with countless people saying the ONLY reason they bought GHIII was to use the controller for RB. A pride issue??? You'd think RO would submit with some sort of software based patch to help increase sales.

The only thing I hold HMX accountable for is the lack of standalone guitars available at launch for the PS3. They would have sold like hotcakes and in turn, left RO in the dust. He only thing RO has going for them is the brand name. Once the word gets out to the masses on Rock Band.....buh bye.
post #283 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

As Ron Burgandy would say; "This is bush, bush-league!"

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
post #284 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I tried singing last night much to the chagrin of my bandmates (two sons). I'll tell ya what, if any guy here has completed Flyleaf's "I'm so Sick" on hard or expert, you're either not really a man, a transgender on alot of estrogen, or a 12 year old boy. No way, no how for me. I did however hold my own on the Yeah Yeah Yeah and Hole songs. I think Hole's song was somewhat manageable since Courtney Love sounds like a 40 year old male smoker.
post #285 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I tried singing last night much to the chagrin of my bandmates (two sons). I'll tell ya what, if any guy here has completed Flyleaf's "I'm so Sick" on hard or expert, you're either not really a man, a transgender on alot of estrogen, or a 12 year old boy. No way, no how for me. I did however hold my own on the Yeah Yeah Yeah and Hole songs. I think Hole's song was somewhat manageable since Courtney Love sounds like a 40 year old male smoker.

Dude, just channel your inner Barry Gibb...you know he's in there!!
post #286 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Some initial impressions:

The drums are awesome, but take some getting used to, need to play a bit so I can get the seat height and drum height spot on.

The guitar has much better lag performance than the GH3 one, although the flipper seems a little stiff and the buttons seem more stiff as well. Maybe I'm just used to the GH3 one but the RB overall doesn't feel as robust.

Is it just me, or is the band in the background kind of grainy? I don't know if this is intentional or what, but it's just an observation. The fret board is clear, so I think it's not a glitch with my copy/PS3.

Overall I think this game is going to Rock; I just downloaded the Metallica Pack and a few singles, I can't wait to get some friends over, a few brews and party on.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Harmony One
post #287 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post

Dude, just channel your inner Barry Gibb...you know he's in there!!

Trust me, I tried. On expert. Then hard. Then medium! It was not pretty. The pitch shifting from extremely high to very low is kicking my ass. Keep in mind, I did complete the song on medium but had to be saved by my bandmates. I had the worst headache afterward.
post #288 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikasauce View Post

Some initial impressions:

The drums are awesome, but take some getting used to, need to play a bit so I can get the seat height and drum height spot on.

The guitar has much better lag performance than the GH3 one, although the flipper seems a little stiff and the buttons seem more stiff as well. Maybe I'm just used to the GH3 one but the RB overall doesn't feel as robust.

Is it just me, or is the band in the background kind of grainy? I don't know if this is intentional or what, but it's just an observation. The fret board is clear, so I think it's not a glitch with my copy/PS3.

Overall I think this game is going to Rock; I just downloaded the Metallica Pack and a few singles, I can't wait to get some friends over, a few brews and party on.

exactly my review. better lag, controller is so so (stiff). The graininess is totally intentional. I like it. And you'll notice when the musicians are playing, ALL are actually playing. Yea, this is new with GHIII too but if watch the drummer play a song, it looks freaking REAL compared to GHIII. The graininess adds to it IMO.
post #289 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

The band in GH3 is a joke, I believe one poster said it best when they compared them to the mechanical puppets at Chuckee Cheese.

It's kind of tough switching between GH3 and RB, but I'll have to get used to it.

Question: Are there hammer-on's in RB? I haven't seen any if there are.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Harmony One
post #290 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikasauce View Post

The band in GH3 is a joke, I believe one poster said it best when they compared them to the mechanical puppets at Chuckee Cheese.

It's kind of tough switching between GH3 and RB, but I'll have to get used to it.

Question: Are there hammer-on's in RB? I haven't seen any if there are.

Chuck E. Cheese. ROFL. And yes, there are hammer ons. They are the notes that are shorter in width. Try STP's Vasoline and you'll see em.
post #291 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Rock Band experience was anything but thrilling last nght. I had played the drums a ton in the stores before buying the game and loved every minute of it.

So last night I get the drums set up, and start playing my first song on medium. I fail 30 seconds in, and I'm thinking WTF? I try again, and fail again. I then figured out that the game was requiring the use of the kick drum for songs on medium. This surprised me as I figured that only Hard and Expert would like require that.

So I decide to try a song a on easy, thinking there is no way the kick drum is required on that setting. Sure enough it was. While I was able to play through songs on easy, with the kick drum, it was antything but thrilling. The game will not fail you on easy if you don't use the kick drum, but getting a good score is of course impossible. So they presented the game one way in the store, and then completely switch things around for the final paying customer. Great job!

IMO this was an awful decision for the game, as it completely throws the idea out the window of any family party like scenario where dad jumps on the drums and has a good time. The difficulty level of the drums is simply far higher than any other part of the game, and it's completely out of whack with the intelligent way they ease you into the guitar settings.

Easy on the guitar is a perfectly sensible introduction to the game. Easy on drums is a very complicated process of using your two hands and your foot in unison, and to say this is gonna cause a lot of people a problem, is the understatement of the year. The drums on medium is just crazy for a newcomer. Forget about even trying it.

To make matters worse, I gave the guitar a good hour as well, and was equally dissapointed with it. The strum bar is terrible. Plain and simple. It's just not as good as the previous strum bars, and it's very difficult to be precise with it. Sure, they got rid of the clicking noise, but at what cost? This game requires instant precision strumming, and yet the guitar is not up to the task.

I predict this guitar problem becomes similar to the Xbox360 in terms of widespread failures. How this thing even got past the testing phase is beyond my comprehension. It's just not right. The drums requiring the kick pedal on easy is equally baffling.

To all of you on the fence about this game, my honest to god advice is to avoid the game this year. Wait for the sequel which will surely fix the two biggest problems I have with it. The rest of the game is rock solid fantastic, and that is what makes these two flaws so glaring IMO.

post #292 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

^^Not to be a jerk, but where have you been? It's not like they added the kick drum at the last minute, and the demo at my Best Buy clearly said that the full retail version would come with a mic and kick drum pedal.

I haven't gotten mine from Amazon yet but I'm fully prepared to suck royally at the drums at first...but that's the main reason I'm getting it.

Give it some time. Patience, young Jedi.
post #293 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Oh, Tiger....you crack me up...

go get some caffeine...
post #294 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

One publisher follows an open standard, the other... well, we don't know do we, since they haven't responded. Honestly, I think it is intentional on Activision's part -- it benefits them and hurts Rock Band, IMHO.

That doesn't mean Harmonix can't figure out what the GHIII guitar does differently and release a patch to get it working. I would not be surprised if they were working on that now. But even if they are they can't come out and say they are until it is working.
post #295 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Tigerriot - I have to say that after playing guitar on GH III for my first GH game and playing Rockband last night with the drums, I find the learning curve to be very similar on easy. Both require a little bit of practice, and I would suggest going through the tutorial as well. In all honesty, I think I found the beginning stages of playing GH to be a little more difficult. Stick with it and try to get past the frustration of not being GREAT at first. It takes me a lot of practice to play these games. I have no idea how people could possibly be playing on hard or expert unless they had experience playing drums in their life.

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #296 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post

^^Not to be a jerk, but where have you been? It's not like they added the kick drum at the last minute, and the demo at my Best Buy clearly said that the full retail version would come with a mic and kick drum pedal.

I haven't gotten mine from Amazon yet but I'm fully prepared to suck royally at the drums at first...but that's the main reason I'm getting it.

Give it some time. Patience, young Jedi.

Dude, I didn't say I was surprised the game came with a kick pedal. I was fully aware of that fact.

What I am saying is that the requirement that the kick drum be used on the EASIEST setting, was an awful decision on the part of the game makers. It simply raises the bar for entry so high, that most people will never get into it. Unlike the guitar which is intelligenty laid out in a way that the easy setting eases you into the game perfectly fine. Then medium steps it up a notch from there.

With the drums it's like "Hey, the first 5 songs aren't too hard I guess". Then the thing just goes nuts and expects the newcomer to suddenly use their two hands and foot in perfect unison. It's just ridiculous, and this is coming from someone who has played videogames for 20 years, and loves the guitar hero franchise. I know bad game design choices when I see them, and this was a terrible one.

I've got $50 that says Rock Band 2 doesn't make the same two mistakes this game did. The strum bar will be exactly like the old ones were, and the drums will not require the kick pdeal for songs on easy. Mark my words.

post #297 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

It simply raises the bar for entry so high, that most people will never get into it.

I understand your frustration, although I think you've bailed awfully quickly. I think if you were to practice some you would find it "clicks" at least on easy. And I think you're way off on your estimation that "most people will never get into it". I have never played a drum in my life and I have struggled so far, but I've seen enough improvement (in literally an hour or less of practice) to know that with another couple of hours of playing I will be nailing easy. I would probably be there already but we had to put away the drums as the 2yr old was ready to destroy them :-)
Quote:

I know bad game design choices when I see them, and this was a terrible one.

Although I see where you are coming from, I disagree. Easy songs are meant to introduce people to how to use the "prop" and ramp people up to harder difficulties. Your guitar analogy is flawed -- the buttons are identical, there are just more of them. Having easy songs with no foot pedal means anyone wanting to play the foot pedal has to start on Medium difficulty -- which I think would suck.

As an aside, have you tried disconnecting the foot pedal? It's a long shot, but maybe the reason the in-store demos worked that way was because there wasn't a foot pedal hooked up at all...
post #298 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, once the wife and I got back from the States last night, we played the game for a few hours until about 12:30 am. My first impression wasn't great, unfortunately: Couldn't get the GH3 guitar to work! Played around a bit, but for some reason the game would always prompt for the mic to be plugged in when I tried to work the guitar. About a half hour later, I come to AVS. Ah ha, the GH3 guitars don't work with Rock Band!! I go back into the living room, and tell my wife that there's supposed to be a patch to fix it soon......and the company's are aware of the problem. (Turns out the company is aware of the problem....they just don't care.)

But we move on!

Impressive opening graphics. Like the commercial, the band playing on the top of the car and bus. I watch it for a while, until the wife says, Do we really have to watch this sh!t? (She was eager to play!) All the instruments set up and plugged in quickly. Most importantly, everything paired instantly. Very simple stuff. Full marks, there. We go into quick play....I start with the drums, my mother-in-law picks up the guitar. Both of us miss the first 20 notes! Then I remember the calibration! Took about 5 minutes....pretty straight-forward....and it's a lot better than the calibration tool in GH3.

Back to the song. With the calibration all set, we both get through In Bloom the first time through. I get 90%, my mother-in-law (who has never even played GH before) gets a 60 something! Not bad! The drums are AWESOME. Love love love playing them. They're a bit loud when you hit them, but you really don't have to hit them that hard to register the notes. Once we cranked the music volume up, it wasn't a problem. Oh, before I forget, make sure you go into the audio settings when you first start. The game defaults to stereo, for some reason. You have to click on the 5.1...I thought it sounds a little narrow, the first hour, or so, cuz we were playing in stereo. (I didn't think to look at my sound system with everything else going on.)

The guitar is also very good, I find. Unlike Tigerriot, I really like the strum bar. It's quiet and very precise for my playing. The guitar does feel somewhat less sturdy than the GH3 guitar, but Strats generally do feel a little slinkier than SGs to begin with. In anyway, I like the Strat just fine. Changing the tone/effect is also a nice touch. I'm going to have a lot of fun with it when I get to the Medium level difficulties.

Back to the drums for a second. Where I disagreed with Tigerriot about the guitar, I have to agree with him about the kick drum. My wife was having a very hard time with it. She really had fun with the sticks, but for whatever reason the kick just isn't fun for her. It would have been nice to have had the option to disable it for easy and medium, for if my wife is any indication, it might prevent newcomers from being to able to jump right into the game. She also said it was too hard to push down all the time, and that her leg got tired pretty early on into it. Maybe we just need more exercise! Otherwise, though, the drums have a great feel to them....at least for me...and I'm probably going to play them a lot more than the guitar.

The mic, we both played around with a little. My wife got at least 97%s for all the quick play songs....and I got my first 100% in a game like this. (Singing Wave of Mutilation.) The karaoke part of the game will probably just be for when company comes over. It's fun, but it doesn't feel as immersive as the other parts. At least a fourth person will have something to do.

So far, I'd give the game at least a 9.5/10. My only real complaint is that the band graphics while you're playing are fuzzy. I know it's an art style, but I would have preferred more sharpness there. It just looks outdated. Like you're playing on the Game Cube or something. The fretboards, fortunately, are excellent. I prefer them over GH3....rectangle notes over circles. Seems cleaner.

Sadly, because of the GH3 problem my feeling for the game game-play-wise is somewhat dampened. The only reason why I bought GH3 was so that I'd have an extra guitar for bass when I bought Rock Band! The best laid plans...Oh, well. I'm sure, despite the general disinterest from Harmonix, that there'll be a patch to fix it soon. All those game returns will prompt it within the week, I'm betting. The problem is that it registers the GH3 guitar as a regular controller, and so it prompts you to plug the mic in. All it needs is something to register it as a extra guitar, and not a sixaxis. Oh yeah, that's another thing....to work the mic, you need to turn on a sixaxis. It took a little playing around to figure that one out. I thought it would just work by plugging it in. Then I realized you would need something to work the menus with. Duh.

Long post. I tend to do that sometimes. Just move along everyone!
post #299 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

As an aside, have you tried disconnecting the foot pedal? It's a long shot, but maybe the reason the in-store demos worked that way was because there wasn't a foot pedal hooked up at all...

I believe someone else said in a thread that all this does is cause you to miss the bass notes in the game so I don't believe this will work.

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #300 of 6042 Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

tiger you posted this crap on the offical boards and got blasted 79 times. Each difficulty needs to progress logically for the drums you absolutley need to start using the kick pedal IMMEDIATLY! On easy you never hit the pedal at the same time as another note. On medium it starts going with certian notes. If they made it the way you wanted it tehre would be no replayablity in the game at all. Remeber HMX promised you could start playing real drums if you can beat the game on expert. and every real drummer that has chimed has agreed completly.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page