Rock Band: The Next Great Franchise - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6042 Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a chance to play this on my brother-in-laws Xbox360 version. My wife had a lot of fun with the game too. I'll be spending my Sony points on this game and Uncharted...once Sony gets them in stock.

I'm still a little pissed that the PS3 version doesn't have bluetooth or a USB hub.

Anyone have any luck with using a USB hub that's powered by the port and not another AC connection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6042 Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

I got a chance to play this on my brother-in-laws Xbox360 version. My wife had a lot of fun with the game too. I'll be spending my Sony points on this game and Uncharted...once Sony gets them in stock.

I'm still a little pissed that the PS3 version doesn't have bluetooth or a USB hub.

Anyone have any luck with using a USB hub that's powered by the port and not another AC connection?

Not sure why a hub is needed other than aesthetics. I've had 3 controllers attached along with the mic, drums, and guitar dongle. Not that you would need more than one controller attached anyway.

I did notice that one of my controllers had both 1 and 4 lights lit. Does that mean its taking the number 5 spot?
post #453 of 6042 Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka, Esq. View Post

The game takes out the profanities in those songs that had them - of course I sing them anyway, as it would not be very rock'n'roll of me not to.

The subject matter of songs of course is the subject matter of rock. Death, liquor, insanity, poontang, etc. Most of it is metaphoric of course so you might not even realize that's what it's about.

I like the metaphors Courtney Love uses. Hooker waitress, slut.
post #454 of 6042 Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

Not sure why a hub is needed other than aesthetics. I've had 3 controllers attached along with the mic, drums, and guitar dongle. Not that you would need more than one controller attached anyway.

I did notice that one of my controllers had both 1 and 4 lights lit. Does that mean its taking the number 5 spot?

I already have 3 ports being used on my PS3 (keyboard, mouse, and charging cable).

I'm also incredibly lazy. USB hub consideration would have been nice since they aren't doing bluetooth yet.

And yes, 4 lights +1-3 is spots 5-7 on the number of max connections to the PS3 allowed.
post #455 of 6042 Old 12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

PLEASE give us some Thrice! Slow or hard, I'd love to play some of that! I just bought this yesterday and can't wait to start jamming, we've already got a band "The Kansas City Bullriders". Were gonna hit youtube hard lol.

I hope they offer a huge selection of downloadable songs. So I hear about some faulty equipment, is this will ALL first shipped special editions or just some?
post #456 of 6042 Old 12-04-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapS View Post

PLEASE give us some Thrice! Slow or hard, I'd love to play some of that! I just bought this yesterday and can't wait to start jamming, we've already got a band "The Kansas City Bullriders". Were gonna hit youtube hard lol.

I hope they offer a huge selection of downloadable songs. So I hear about some faulty equipment, is this will ALL first shipped special editions or just some?

I haven't experienced any hardware problems, I was in a preorder shipment. (360 version)
post #457 of 6042 Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapS View Post

Our kick pedal cracked in half. Took a week to get a new one. Other than that, its been fine.

Current solo career status: Stuck on Gimme Shelter (expert vocals).
post #458 of 6042 Old 12-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure if it's been said, but singing "TIMMY" is the best thing on this game. I made my wife sing and and just cracked up the whole time she was singing.

Here's to alcohol, the cause ofÂand solution toÂall life's problems.
post #459 of 6042 Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 85
From rockband.com:
Quote:
Available today is a routine update for the PLAYSTATION 3 version of Rock Band that addresses a number of items related to guitar controller compatibility. Should Rock Band owners choose to obtain the update, they will need broadband internet access connected to their PLAYSTATION 3. The update will be downloaded once the game is started.

According to the thread it does not appear to be available quite yet.

http://community.rockband.com/vbforu...ad.php?t=13383
post #460 of 6042 Old 12-05-2007, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

From rockband.com:

According to the thread it does not appear to be available quite yet.

http://community.rockband.com/vbforu...ad.php?t=13383

Oh man, this is actually on my PS3 Christmas list in here! It's early Wednesday morning, once I wake up a little I'm gonna go check for a patch! Will report back.
post #461 of 6042 Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Haven't turned on the game yet, but this was posted on the Harmonix board:

UPDATE-
So as you may have noticed the patch still isn't up and I apologize. We're trying to find out what the holdup is and I'll get back to you when I know. Or better yet the patch will just go up and everyone will be stoked. Sorry about the delay.

It sounds like it's just a small problem getting the patch set up. I'm getting a pretty good feeling about this coming out today....maybe even this morning. And I couldn't be happier!

Harmonix deserves a lot of credit for this, in my opinion. Although, of course they would have known the GH3 guitar wasn't going to work, even though every game review site was saying it would. So maybe the karma thing kinda helped motivate them a little more than the goodness of their hearts. Either way, I'm thankful. Or will be thankful. Please work little patch!
post #462 of 6042 Old 12-05-2007, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I may get Rock Band after all if this comes down the pipe. My son and I are already having a hard time sharing GHIII. I realize that that there are other multiplayer options with RB but I think we both want the option to play the guitar.

It would be even funnier if this patch makes the Les Paul GHIII work better on RB than it does on GHIII. We (GHIII players) have our own issues and are wating for a patch to address those.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #463 of 6042 Old 12-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Oh, wow, Christmas did indeed come early. This is awsome. Let's hope that the les paul doesn't exhibit the same issues on RB that it does on GH3. I guess we'll find out.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
post #464 of 6042 Old 12-05-2007, 12:56 PM

For those that ended up with a broken strat...

I received my replacement today (submitted support incident last Thursday) and it is a night and day difference. I only played a few songs but it definitely is a HUGE difference. Lets just hope it holds up. I guess now I can't just blame a faulty controller when I suck it up! I would have thought real-world guitar skills would translate a little better into the game... Atleast drumming is a different story.
post #465 of 6042 Old 12-05-2007, 01:27 PM

I really want to like this game, but I've played the demo at Best Buy and have two main issues...

1) The strum bar on the guitar sticks out more than the Guitar Hero guitar, making it much harder to strum faster. Too much "play" on the strum bar.

2) The Best Buy demo version hasn't held up very well. I tried to play last night and the strum bar only registered the down position. I understand these things get beat to heck in the stores, but the Guitar Hero demos have never had this problem in my experience, so I'm guessing the Rock Band guitar isn't made as well.

PSN: chaddgar, jrinck
post #466 of 6042 Old 12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The demo guitars were all shipped defective.....in fact many of us got defective guitars in our boxes, which they are now replacing free of charge.

The strum bar on the stratocaster is a *huge* improvement over the GH2 guitar, and I could easily hit up/down strumming on the RB guitar than I could never do on the GH2 guitar...(at least, when my guitar registered the UP strum!).

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #467 of 6042 Old 12-06-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

I already have 3 ports being used on my PS3 (keyboard, mouse, and charging cable).

I'm also incredibly lazy. USB hub consideration would have been nice since they aren't doing bluetooth yet.

And yes, 4 lights +1-3 is spots 5-7 on the number of max connections to the PS3 allowed.

To answer my own question, I saw a licensed Rock Band USB hub that was self powered. $25 though.
post #468 of 6042 Old 12-07-2007, 07:16 AM

This may be the bboard equivalent of banging my head against a wall, but I'll give it a shot...

Are there any online retailers with Rock Band for PS3 in stock? Looks like the auction sites are filled with $250+ versions, but I was wondering whether it might be at all possible to get something closer to the MSRP $160 ($170??) price from someplace. Appreciate the feedback.

Happy Merry,

PDM
post #469 of 6042 Old 12-07-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 85
From the Rock Band forums: http://community.rockband.com/vbforu...ad.php?t=14053.

In short, these allow you to use the drum controller on your PC to play free-form, as if it was a real electronic drum kit.

I haven't tried this out myself yet, but I can't wait!
post #470 of 6042 Old 12-07-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migs_inc View Post

This may be the bboard equivalent of banging my head against a wall, but I'll give it a shot...

Are there any online retailers with Rock Band for PS3 in stock? Looks like the auction sites are filled with $250+ versions, but I was wondering whether it might be at all possible to get something closer to the MSRP $160 ($170??) price from someplace. Appreciate the feedback.

Happy Merry,

PDM

I ordered one from gamestop. They claim it will ship on the 7th. Hope so.
post #471 of 6042 Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 PM

There was a stack of them at my Best Buy (central Indiana) today. Picked one up with the 10% reward zone coupon... and then put it under the Christmas tree. from Santa to me. I also picked up super mario galaxy for my son's wii that he's getting. I thought I'd have a hard time finding rock band and that game.
post #472 of 6042 Old 12-11-2007, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Was in best buy yesterday picking up a USB headset and saw a pile of Rock Band bundles. Not sure what version but there were at least 20.
post #473 of 6042 Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjyokel View Post

There was a stack of them at my Best Buy (central Indiana) today. Picked one up with the 10% reward zone coupon... and then put it under the Christmas tree. from Santa to me. I also picked up super mario galaxy for my son's wii that he's getting. I thought I'd have a hard time finding rock band and that game.

Best Buy wouldn't accept my 10% RZ coupon. I ended up finding it at Target and had a return so it worked out well.

PSN/XBL: gti443
post #474 of 6042 Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

6 rock band bundles (ps3) at the Folsom, CA Walmart when I was there this morning.
post #475 of 6042 Old 12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
saw

ordered mine from Amazon Dec 8 (it said 2-4 weeks before shipment) and it
started shipping process on Dec 9. Got it with 5% Gold box savings plus $25
bonus cert, no shipping/taxes so 136 & change should be at my door next week.
I didn't expect to get this before Christmas, now I may have some explaining to do
to my GF...
post #476 of 6042 Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I finally convinced myself that my Rock Band guitar was botching all my fast same-direction strumming, so I RMA'd it. I'm happy to say that the replacement guitar works perfectly, and the replacement process was almost completely painless. If you're experiencing any problems with your Rock Band peripherals, now is the time to get them replaced...

- Jer
post #477 of 6042 Old 12-12-2007, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Seconded. My replacement rock band guitar has MUCH better fretbuttons (more responsive, a little more clicky) and the strum bar now works exactly as expected.

Before..after a few quick up-down strums in a Rock-Ending song, it would just stop responding for a few seconds...no notes would play. This guitar, that doesn't happen.
I can shred up those bonuses.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #478 of 6042 Old 12-12-2007, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

....2..3..4..5..6..7..8...DING DING DING. And another guitar is down for the count.

Our guitar controller started acting funny yesterday. We could play constant steady notes (see Vagiant or Freezepop) but the single notes were missing bigtime. At first we thought our timing was off so we changed from expert down to medium, recalibrated. Same thing. In the rare case we'd hit a long note, although we were holding the required fret down, soon as we let off the strum switch, the note would break.

I logged on to the support site and chocked it up to "bad fret buttons". Replacement requested. Now, how long can I expect to wait? It was a week for my kick pedal. I heard the guitars were longer and some folks were getting a free EA game for the trouble.
post #479 of 6042 Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ My original guitar seems to be missing notes, too. Well, kinda of. When I first got the game, I quickly did the calibration, thought I had it pretty close, but once I got to medium, I started missing every 7th-9th note in long lines of notes. Drove me crazy! So I went back into calibration and messed around...for what felt like forever....until I didn't miss any of those notes. It took me a while, but I did finally find a calibration that worked. I could get through any series of long notes, and not miss anything.

Then I tried to fix something else, and screwed everything up again! The drum fill sections have always been a off, at least a quarter step, in my game. Meaning, I hit the drum, and the sound comes in after. Totally messes me up in these fill sections...to the point where my rhythm gets thrown waaaay off, and I can't get back into the main parts of the song.

I posted this problem on the Rock Band website, and someone told me how to completely fix my problem: switch audio cables from optical to the standard A/V cables, turn off the surround in the game, change your PSN game from optical 5.1 to AV stereo, and then re-calibrate your game. So I did it, and...Wow, what a difference. Where with my optical connection I had a positive lag of 60, with the standard AV cables, my lag suddenly went down to -10! And the drum fill sections? Pretty much right on. Nice! Anyone know why optical puts such a long delay into the game?

The only problem? Well, now the game doesn't sound as fun. Left/right stereo actually makes a huge difference in sound and gameplay. For one, stereo really narrows down the sound plane...With 5.1, you feel like you're in the middle of the sound...in stereo, you feel further away from the music, and somewhat separated from it. Gameplay-wise, you no longer have the crowd behind you, letting you know how well you're doing by singing along.

Maybe it sounds petty, but I had to switch things back to my optical settings. I missed the 5.1!! The only trouble is, I wasn't completely sure what my calibration settings were! So for about 2 hours, I re-calibrated, and played Paranoid on medium until I hot all the notes again in those long lines of notes. Drove me mental! (Unlike GH3, to re-calibrate, you can't do it inside a song....you have to keep going waaaay back to the main menu!) Right before I was ready to toss my game out the window, I finally found the setting again. Managed to make it all the way through medium without missing any notes.

Until I got to hard! For whatever reason, I started missing every odd note, again, in long lines of notes. Until!! Until I got the idea to play with a cardboard pick I made out of frustration. And would you guess, that with this "pick" I don't miss any of those notes, again? Can't figure it out. Maybe I'm just not able to move the strat bar back and forth fast and accurately enough. I mean, it's really not how you'd play a guitar, wiggling the strings back and forth. You play with a pick!

So now I don't know what to think. Is my guitar defective, and I'm just compensating for it? Or is this just the way it's supposed to be? There's another complication. Because I purchased the game in the States, and I'm Canadian, Rockband in the States won't ship across the border. I was told that once the game is released in Canada, that I'd be able to go through them. But I can just see the Canadian support guy telling me he can't help me because the game wasn't bought in Canada. In which case, I will have to try and find someone in the States to help me with an exchange.

Sigh. Sorry for the long post! I just need to get this stuff out, sometimes!
post #480 of 6042 Old 12-12-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

@kess

the opitcal and DD just causes more processing and the game can't calibrate the lag for everything in the game.
As for the pick situation the idea of the strats strum bar is to be the pick not the string.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page