Rock Band: The Next Great Franchise - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6042 Old 10-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well, the incompatibility pretty much seals it for me -- I'll just get an unbundled Guitar Hero III for the PS2, where I already have 2 guitars, and I'll pick up Rock Band for the PS3. Activision will just lose money because I'll buy the cheaper version of the game and won't be able to buy any DLC.

That said, I'm concerned about the inability to get a second Rock Band guitar before next year. I'm interested in the singing and drumming aspects of the game, but the bread and butter for me is still going to be dual guitar action, and it seems silly to cripple the experience for people who would otherwise be willing to shell out the bucks for the second guitar up front...

- Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6042 Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Here is a question, semi off topic:

Is it worth it to go back and pick up the first Guitar Hero for the Playstation 2 as well as the Playstation 2 version of "Rocks the 80's"? Do I need the Guitar Hero 2 guitar for that or can I use the Guitar Hero I guitar for both those games...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #93 of 6042 Old 10-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Is it worth it to go back and pick up the first Guitar Hero for the Playstation 2 as well as the Playstation 2 version of "Rocks the 80's"?

GH1 is definitely worth it if you have a PS2 to play it on. There's no co-op, the vs. is a little thin, and the HO/POs aren't as forgiving, but there are a lot of great guitar songs in the set list.

GHE:RT8 is an iffier purchase -- if you're a Guitar Hero veteran then it'll be way too easy to 5-star everything (except the final song on Expert, which I can't even finish), but the song list is a lot of fun if you're a fan of '80s music. The guitar parts themselves generally aren't as exciting as in the first two games, though. In the end it'll depend on how much of a sentimental attachment you have to the songs.

Quote:
Do I need the Guitar Hero 2 guitar for that or can I use the Guitar Hero I guitar for both those games...

The guitars for GH1 or GH2 will work with all three games (and presumably the PS2 version of GH3).

- Jer
post #94 of 6042 Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/...ands-usb-.html

It appears that the USB hub needs a separate power source in order to work properly. This might be an issue with the 40GB PS3.

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #95 of 6042 Old 10-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Small price to pay to play this game. I just got GH3 and I'm loving it, but RB is going to be revolutionary with the drums.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
post #96 of 6042 Old 10-30-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikasauce View Post

Small price to pay to play this game. I just got GH3 and I'm loving it, but RB is going to be revolutionary with the drums.

I totally agree!

post #97 of 6042 Old 10-30-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

so would you rock stars recommend the ps3 version or the wii version?

i'm leaning toward the wii since the power comes from the wiimote and don't have to dongle anything.

and DLC isn't too important if it doesn't come to the wii. i just want the better experience.

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
post #98 of 6042 Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so's your face View Post

so would you rock stars recommend the ps3 version or the wii version?

i'm leaning toward the wii since the power comes from the wiimote and don't have to dongle anything.

and DLC isn't too important if it doesn't come to the wii. i just want the better experience.

Ummm...I'd have to say the PS3 version since I don't believe there is a Wii version of this game.

post #99 of 6042 Old 10-30-2007, 01:37 PM

DLC is a big part of this game. I don't care for it much in GH3, but in RB it will extend your singleplayer experience. Plus, some of the album they already listed to be DLC really peak my interest.

You might want to check out the "Endless World Tour" article on IGN before completely disregarding the DLC for this game.

Also, I don't believe there is a Wii version of this game.

PSN ID: BlacJack
post #100 of 6042 Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

After doing a Google search for "Rock Band Hands On," I am so excited for this release. Nov. 20th can't come soon enough.

Has anyone had the chance to play this first hand?

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Harmony One
post #101 of 6042 Old 10-30-2007, 06:14 PM

I just played the drum interface at Best Buy. You might want to check your area stores for a demo (Austin, Tx area.) It was pretty awesome. They didn't have a bass pedal hooked up but it was still fun. I only got to play 1 song - "Wanted Dead or Alive" - Bon Jovi. I played it on medium and got like a 97%. Heading to a different Best Buy tomorrow to see if they have a bass pedal and to try a harder difficulty.

No guitar option at the demo, though.

Now I'm wondering if I should pre-order through amazon, order off of the RB webstore, or try and hit midnight at WM on Tues Nov. 20?
post #102 of 6042 Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

I am in the Dallas area, I'll have to check out my local BB. Was the drum kit fairly sturdy?

What are you guys planning on using as a stool? A kitchen chair, the couch?

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Harmony One
post #103 of 6042 Old 10-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

I am thinking of getting a cheap drum stool from the guitar shop. They go for $35 or so.
post #104 of 6042 Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUDoc View Post

I just played the drum interface at Best Buy. You might want to check your area stores for a demo (Austin, Tx area.) It was pretty awesome. They didn't have a bass pedal hooked up but it was still fun. I only got to play 1 song - "Wanted Dead or Alive" - Bon Jovi. I played it on medium and got like a 97%. Heading to a different Best Buy tomorrow to see if they have a bass pedal and to try a harder difficulty.

No guitar option at the demo, though.

Now I'm wondering if I should pre-order through amazon, order off of the RB webstore, or try and hit midnight at WM on Tues Nov. 20?

the bass drum notes were stripped out of the best buy demo. So you won't find any best buy stores set up for it. The best buy store should have gotten a mic and guitar but I guess they opted out.
post #105 of 6042 Old 11-01-2007, 10:55 AM

Trying to decide between the PS3 and 360 versions. I'd like to go with the PS3 version but my fear is that DLC will be lacking in comparison. Any thoughts?

PSN: Thrillho
XBL: Herald of Woe
post #106 of 6042 Old 11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

I would assume they would release DLC to both platforms simultaneously. I don't see why one would get more DLC than the other.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Harmony One
post #107 of 6042 Old 11-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Its been said they'd get the same amount of DLC and the graphics would be the same as well. Remember Harmonix started on the PS2, and while they said the PS3 graphics lagged behind in the beginning they made sure to fix it and they are now basically identical. I doubt Harmonix would shaft Sony now when they know their whole company is built by it.
post #108 of 6042 Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

FWIW - I just went to Best Buy to see if they had a RockBand setup and they did. The guitar is pretty sweet and the flipper is a much better design than the GH3 one. It's thins out more so it feels more like a pick; not so wide like the GH one's. I am pretty excited to play on these new guitars. I didn't have a chance to try the drums but the sticks are pretty low-budget and very light. Might be a good idea to get some solid one's from a guitar center.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Harmony One
post #109 of 6042 Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 PM

seanpatrickb--good to hear that, I must've missed those comments, and your other points make sense too.

I'll be heading out to BB this weekend to scope out the demo they've got set up. Can't wait!

PSN: Thrillho
XBL: Herald of Woe
post #110 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is pretty funny.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/01/b...-little-early/

Quote:

It looks like a Best Buy in Marina, California was a little confused about what "floor model" meant and accidentally put a boxed 360 version of Rock Band out for sale instead of setting it up as a demo unit -- and the eagle-eyed Tim Menz managed to spot the oversize box poking out of the Guitar Hero 3 display and "casually" purchase it. Apparently the UPC was already in the system but didn't raise any flags when it rang up for $169. Tim didn't bother with any of that silly rock music nonsense and skipped straight to selling out on eBay, but pulled the auction when EA called him and politely asked him to return the kit to the store. He hasn't done that yet, since it's a little unclear whether Tim got a full copy or just an in-store demo -- anyone out there know the answer?

Update: Tim got back to us and says it is in fact the demo, but he's put it back on eBay for all you desperate to rock.

Update 2: Tim just let us know that Best Buy is now offering him a full refund plus a $100 gift card -- looks like Big Blue wants their toys back.

post #111 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 AM

I fiddled with the 360 version of the game in Best Buy for about an hour yesterday.

Guitar Impressions: I'm not sure how long they've had the demo set up... but the guitar was already broken. The game was not recognizing the downward strum motion, only the upward strum... so it was pretty hard to play. Overall, both the frets and the strum bar had a more "analog" feel to them and felt less like buttons than the guitar hero guitars I've used. I'm not sure what I think about this. I picked up the guitar hero 3 guitar that was next to it, and played a bit of that... and it may have been because the Rock Band guitar was broke... buth the Guitar Hero 3 guitar felt about 900 times better than the rock band one.

Drum impressions: Pretty fun. The base note gets played for you on the demo... so I was able to get through expert on a few songs. My biggest complaint was that the sound of you actually hitting the drum kit was much louder than the sound of the note playing in the game, which created a pretty big disconnect in my head... and made it so I didn't really feel like I was playing the drums. But still, it was pretty fun.
post #112 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isucamper View Post

Drum impressions: Pretty fun. The base note gets played for you on the demo... so I was able to get through expert on a few songs. My biggest complaint was that the sound of you actually hitting the drum kit was much louder than the sound of the note playing in the game, which created a pretty big disconnect in my head... and made it so I didn't really feel like I was playing the drums. But still, it was pretty fun.

But this was only because the demo wasn't loud enough in the store, right? Get home, crank it till you can feel the bass drum pounding in your chest, and I'm sure you won't have the same disconnect!
post #113 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, that's a good point. When I play GH3 at home, I crank the tunes up loud. I don't think that the percussion of hitting the toy drum set can over power a quality system cranked up to 11!

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Harmony One
post #114 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess View Post

But this was only because the demo wasn't loud enough in the store, right? Get home, crank it till you can feel the bass drum pounding in your chest, and I'm sure you won't have the same disconnect!

demo version is also sans the kick drum notes and i think the actual pedal too. Can't confirm the pedal but the notes were not there for sure when i sat down to play. I wonder if that happens when the kick pedal is disconnected?
post #115 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

demo version is also sans the kick drum notes and i think the actual pedal too. Can't confirm the pedal but the notes were not there for sure when i sat down to play. I wonder if that happens when the kick pedal is disconnected?

kick drum notes were there, they played automatically

I would say that the volume of the display set up was about average room volume. At about the level that you would watch TV. Yes, I generally rock out to my rythm games with my stereo cranked, and I bet that would solve the problem. Hopefully.

To tell you the truth though, I'm kinda up in there air as to whether I'm going to buy it. I've had the PS3 version of the game preordered for months, but a big insentive to getting it was that I would be able to use the guitars to play the PS2 versions of GH1 and GH2 on my PS3. It's sounding like this is less likely, and on top of that, PS3 GH3 owners are complaining about drop outs and lag with their wireless guitars...

I'm just not sure I want to drop 170 bucks for problemmatic, user unfriendly equipment... especially if the second generation of these controllers are going to fix all these problems. I feel like the consumer is kinda getting trampled in situations like these, when all we want to do is use the things we buy and have them work in the way we would expect them to. Games are expensive enough, but then to have to buy a specific controller for each one of these games (PS2 GH1 & 2, PS3 Rock Band, PS3 GH3)? F that.
post #116 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

I understand what you're saying. It would be a consumer's dream to just have two wireless toy guitars that were compatible with all the current GH* and RockBand games. Hopefully the RockBand guitar will be compatible with GH, I guess we'll know soon enough.

As far as lag and dropouts, I really think people need to take the time to find the sweet spot in their setups. I have a Panasonic 50HD8UK plasma with very little lag; I find that 4 to 7ms works great. I don't have any dropouts either. That is the reason these guitars are RF and not BlueTooth. Bluetooth still will drop an occasional data packet and is prone to "wigging out" as many people have voiced regarding the SIXAXIS. I am quiute pleased with my GH3 wireless Axe. Now if only I could 5 star everything on medium.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Harmony One
post #117 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isucamper View Post

kick drum notes were there, they played automatically

I would say that the volume of the display set up was about average room volume. At about the level that you would watch TV. Yes, I generally rock out to my rythm games with my stereo cranked, and I bet that would solve the problem. Hopefully.

To tell you the truth though, I'm kinda up in there air as to whether I'm going to buy it. I've had the PS3 version of the game preordered for months, but a big insentive to getting it was that I would be able to use the guitars to play the PS2 versions of GH1 and GH2 on my PS3. It's sounding like this is less likely, and on top of that, PS3 GH3 owners are complaining about drop outs and lag with their wireless guitars...

I'm just not sure I want to drop 170 bucks for problemmatic, user unfriendly equipment... especially if the second generation of these controllers are going to fix all these problems. I feel like the consumer is kinda getting trampled in situations like these, when all we want to do is use the things we buy and have them work in the way we would expect them to. Games are expensive enough, but then to have to buy a specific controller for each one of these games (PS2 GH1 & 2, PS3 Rock Band, PS3 GH3)? F that.

The equipment I used on the tour all worked flawlessly and they had gone through days and days of play. The wireless issues with the PS3 version may not affect RB. In Eitehr case HMX has poured their souls into this game and have specnt a long time perfecting the designs used for the controllers. yes theor vision could very have been corrupted by EA buying cheap parts but i doubt it.
post #118 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

here read this:
http://community.rockband.com/index....g/view/id_585/

these guys didn't just throw these things together.
post #119 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

here read this:
http://community.rockband.com/index....g/view/id_585/

these guys didn't just throw these things together.

Yeah, I think it would be safe to say you're right about that!

I'm soooo excited for this game to come out. The drums look awesome! And it's pretty cool that the kit's got a coffee table set-up, too.

18 days to go.
16 to start standing in line.
post #120 of 6042 Old 11-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

I heard that the drum kit would not be wireless. Does anyone know how long the cord is going to be? My PS3 is behind me so I would need at least a 20 foot cord.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Harmony One
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page