Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

Part-time lurker, now I have an issue:

Just bought a new 80GB PS3 (comes with Motostorm).

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-60C46U. Currently, the TV does not even detect the HDMI cables.

Yes, I've tried to setup the Display Settings in the PS3 Menu.

Yes, I've tried two different cables. One from Apple Stores and the other is a 3rd party React HDMI cable, 1.3a I believe?

Any and all help would be appreciated, fellas.

Do I need to upgrade my TVs software or something?

Thank you!

P.S. No blinking or anything like that...the TV simply does not detect a HDMI input (circle with diagonal line)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
As with most things HD related, this could be a bunch of different things.

First, have you used that HDMI connection on your TV for anything else? If not, be sure to try it with something else. Try another HDMI cable if you have one. Also, be sure to check the other HDMI connections on your TV/PS3.

Second, it could be a PS3 firmware issue. Hook up your PS3 via component/composite and download/install the firmware update (if it's a TV firmware issue, I can't help you there).

Also, there are a series of system resets that you could try. The most obvious is the hard-reset (the switch on the back of the PS3). There's also a factory reset.

That's about the extent of my pedestrian knowledge. Someone around here may have much more technically savvy advice.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #3 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

As with most things HD related, this could be a bunch of different things.

First, have you used that HDMI connection on your TV for anything else? If not, be sure to try it with something else. Try another HDMI cable if you have one. Also, be sure to check the other HDMI connections on your TV/PS3.

Second, it could be a PS3 firmware issue. Hook up your PS3 via component/composite and download/install the firmware update (if it's a TV firmware issue, I can't help you there).

Also, there are a series of system resets that you could try. The most obvious is the hard-reset (the switch on the back of the PS3). There's also a factory reset.

That's about the extent of my pedestrian knowledge. Someone around here may have much more technically savvy advice.

Thanks Confidenceman,

I've tried two different HDMI cables: one from Apple Stores and the other a React 3rd Party PS3 peripheral.

I've also downloaded the latest PS3 Firmware (comes with Ratchet and Clank Tools), 1.94.

I guess I can try another HDMI device once I get my hands on it. =)

I'll look into the factory reset.

Thanks again.

I'll keep trying.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

I say try another device that is HDMI. Maybe HDMI ports on TV are bad?

PSN: T-Neck

I'm doin' it wrong
post #5 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneck View Post

I say try another device that is HDMI. Maybe HDMI ports on TV are bad?

Thanks.

That would suck though if the HDMI ports are bad.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Exactly how are you trying to connect your PS3 up to the tv? It sounds as if you already have the PS3 working via the Mulit AV (composite or component cable) When you hook the PS3 up to the TV with HDMI you arent going to be able to switch the input fast enough to catch the HDMI handshake. Turn the PS3 off. hook up the HDMI cable (and ONLY the HDMI cable) then turn the tv on and have it on the HDMI input Port. Then press and hold the power button on the ps3 for 5 seconds until after you hear the second beep. This forces the PS3 to reset both the Multi AV port and HDMI, and it will look for HDMI from your TV. If this doesnt work. Then I'd say you have a bad HDMI port on the TV or PS3
post #7 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz View Post

Exactly how are you trying to connect your PS3 up to the tv? It sounds as if you already have the PS3 working via the Mulit AV (composite or component cable) When you hook the PS3 up to the TV with HDMI you arent going to be able to switch the input fast enough to catch the HDMI handshake. Turn the PS3 off. hook up the HDMI cable (and ONLY the HDMI cable) then turn the tv on and have it on the HDMI input Port. Then press and hold the power button on the ps3 for 5 seconds until after you hear the second beep. This forces the PS3 to reset both the Multi AV port and HDMI, and it will look for HDMI from your TV. If this doesnt work. Then I'd say you have a bad HDMI port on the TV or PS3

Thanks.

When I plug the HDMI cable into the PS3 and TV, the TV won't even let me select the HDMI as it thinks there's nothing plugged in. The TV Input Selection Menu shows the HDMI Input (#4 or 5) as "greyed" out.

I will try another HDMI device and see if that works. Hmmm.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirts View Post

Thanks.

When I plug the HDMI cable into the PS3 and TV, the TV won't even let me select the HDMI as it thinks there's nothing plugged in. The TV Input Selection Menu shows the HDMI Input (#4 or 5) as "greyed" out.

I will try another HDMI device and see if that works. Hmmm.

Ah that sounds like an option in the TV input selector menu. You can (I know I can and have on my tv) turn of the Inputs that you dont use (like HDMI) so that it will skip those inputs when you cycle through the inputs on the tv using the Input selector button on the remote. Check the manual on the TV and see if it tells you how to turn those Inputs back on.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Another easy-to-fix possibility for you is to connect your PS3 via component and HDMI at the same time. While viewing the PS3 through component, go to the PS3 display settings menu and try switching it to HDMI manually. Then see if your TV will let you switch over to the HDMI connection.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #10 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Another easy-to-fix possibility for you is to connect your PS3 via component and HDMI at the same time. While viewing the PS3 through component, go to the PS3 display settings menu and try switching it to HDMI manually. Then see if your TV will let you switch over to the HDMI connection.

ah, but I've tried these exact directions.

I'm starting to think either the PS3 or TV HDMI ports are bad.

Still, I'd like to believe these kinds of hardware wouldn't have this hardware fatal issue.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-25-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz View Post

Ah that sounds like an option in the TV input selector menu. You can (I know I can and have on my tv) turn of the Inputs that you dont use (like HDMI) so that it will skip those inputs when you cycle through the inputs on the tv using the Input selector button on the remote. Check the manual on the TV and see if it tells you how to turn those Inputs back on.

I second this - I had a similar issue with my Sharp LCD - there's an advanced setting option that allows the inputs to be shut off. I think ultimately I had to run the "Set to Factory Defaults" option in the TVs control panel - by default they are all enabled.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post

I second this - I had a similar issue with my Sharp LCD - there's an advanced setting option that allows the inputs to be shut off. I think ultimately I had to run the "Set to Factory Defaults" option in the TVs control panel - by default they are all enabled.

LOL, joemama. By chance I thought I'd check this thread out one more time, and, presto. It was this very "problem."

There's an option that had my HDMI inputs being skipped. WTF?

Thanks, dude.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-27-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

There are a few TVs out there that automatically disable the HDMI port once it doesnt detect HDMI interface being used. Glad you found out what the problem is/was
post #14 of 15 Old 10-28-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirts View Post

LOL, joemama. By chance I thought I'd check this thread out one more time, and, presto. It was this very "problem."

There's an option that had my HDMI inputs being skipped. WTF?

Thanks, dude.

I felt the same way at first, and then understood the logic of it, as ndskyz mentioned it makes toggling through the inputs faster if it knows to skip the unused ones. The owner's manual could be a bit more helpful in identifying this feature (and how to re-enable them once disabled), though.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-18-2013, 06:10 PM

I had this problem as well, and looked for answers. Of all the possible solutions I found on multiple sites, none of them worked. I decided to check my tv settings in the menu and saw the skip input selection, but did not look at details. I didn't think it had anything to do with it, didn't think they were skipped at all. I found your response and I thought, "Finally, someone who is addressing the actual problem with the tv!" I went back to the settings, actually went to the skip, and when asked if I wanted to skip that input, I selected no and the screen changed and finally started to show my laptop's screen. Thank you! biggrin.gif
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page