COD4 discussion & review thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adams828, I've been following the updates of your pictures and must say they are impressive. I, too, must ask though.... is there offline co-op in the game? I've seen alot of people asking but haven't found a definite answer yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrossan7 View Post

Pigeon if you find one you better hook a brother up and overnight me one!! PayPal will be your friend

After that joke you made about my gf!?!?

Cysquatch, thanks for the info. I live pretty close to Chinatown and I'll check that store out and keep everyone but BMC updated.

PSN: DirtyPigeon
post #273 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdebaser View Post

Cysquatch, thanks for the info. I live pretty close to Chinatown and I'll check that store out and keep everyone but BMC updated.

LOL. Thanks man!
post #274 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdebaser View Post

That wasn't a joke. DP let us know what you find out buddy!

-------
PSN ID: Total_Chaos13
http://www.*******.com/
post #275 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle View Post

So, it would appear that the PS3 version is missing a bit of code here.

Now, I don't want to really jump on IW too hard because I know that when you're developing a game for both the 360 and the PS3, it might make sense to just allow the console to take care of ALL player communication aspects, but the PS3 seems to want to force a little more creativity and uniqueness (for better or worse).

We know for certain that it is possible to include ALL the communication features of Live in a game for the PS3 (minus sending voice messages at this current time), but the developer has to code for that link to the XMB functionality.

The best this has been done so far is probably in either Skate. or in Resistance. Both those games give you access to your friends list, and in the case of Resistance (granted, after a patch) it actually gives you access to your full XMB buddy list row with all the functionality therein. You can send messages, game invites and access every one of your friends and recent players there. And it does not matter if the player is logged into the the game, or even the PSN. You can also receive messages from in-game too.

So we know it is possible. If EVERY game did what Skate and Resistance does, you'd have virtually identical cross-game communication features that come with live.

It is ASSUMED that the the PS3 will eventually get a software update that adds XMB access to the PS button and likely give you full access to your Friends Row on the XMB... When (or if) that happens... Then great. And it would honestly seem like many developers think this is going to happen. Because even a few Sony made games don't bother with integrating the PSN buddylist into their games. So when that happens... problem solved. Sorta...

I still think it is beneficial to games to add INTEGRATED access to the consoles features. I think it is much cooler in Skate that you have that little T-Mobile Sidekick and you're never taken out of the game... you stay immersed in the world and still have access to everything you need. This creates a better game-specific community feel... As opposed to a general PSN or Live community feel.

In addition, with the limit on friends allowed in both Live and the PSN, it is also helpful to do what a few games on the PS3 do, which is allow a GAME SPECIFIC friends list that you access from within that game... So that way you don't clutter up your main friends list with a bunch of random people that you might only run into occasionally on just one titles... but you still have a away to keep contact with them when you're on that game.

The rumored 2.0 system software update originally talked about XMB integration over games... but that seems to have disappeared in the latest rumors.

It is possible that developers such as IW are relying on this... But without that, I do think they are doing their game a disservice by not coding the game to link up to the PSN buddy list.

A lot of times you see people playing a game... you don't know if they're playing single player or multi.. If you message them, they have to leave the game to check the message... Or you might just not bother... But if they could receive messages from the game AND send messages to you at your XMB while they're IN the game... this can help a lot. This would encourage more people to play your game more often... Whenever I'm messing around in the XMB and I get a game invite from someone actually playing a game like Rainbow 6, Resistance, Skate, even Blazing Angels... I'll happily jump on and play. That definitely would help feed the beast and keep people playing... It works very well, obviously on Live where they don't leave that to the developers and just have it built into the Dashboard that you have access to from anywhere.

I think IW should load up Resistance and check out what Insomniac did there. I think this is a bigger issue then people probably realize (although XMB access given by Sony is way up their on everyone's wish list).

I'm sure that access is coming (in fact it was shown working way before the PS3 was released- At the end of that video it is shown)... but since the developers have the tools to make it work now, I don't think they should be waiting on Sony to do the work for them... When that comes, great... But if you want to build up an active online community, it is worth it to take the extra time to code this in NOW!

(vent over)

I think the "you can add friends by exiting...." is just that. You have no friends, so go to the XMB and add some. You'll notice that he has no friends playing COD4. Totally normal considering nobody has the game yet. Once the game is out, the in game friends list will show up with any playing the game. Let's hope there's an in-game message system. I'm not too concerned and hopefully with 2.0, the XMB access in game will enhance it even more.
post #276 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

You have no friends, so go to the XMB and add some.

Hmm...I usually go to a bar or something. I'll have to try this instead!

Avarice
post #277 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

I think the "you can add friends by exiting...." is just that. You have no friends, so go to the XMB and add some. You'll notice that he has no friends playing COD4. Totally normal considering nobody has the game yet. Once the game is out, the in game friends list will show up with any playing the game. I'm not too concerned and hopefully with 2.0, the XMB access in game will enhance it even more.

Sure... maybe it doesn't show any friends because 1.) he doesn't have any PSN friends or 2.) no PSN friends have logged in 1X to this game yet...

But that is not what is at issue. You should not have to add friends by leaving the game... Especially if they don't tie it into the recent players list, it becomes very difficult to build up friends on that game... you gotta write down their names (and/or freaky spelling of names) and remember to go to your XMB.

"No friends currently online playing Call of Duty 4"
But what about online and NOT playing CoD4? How do I message them?

What if I see a buddy log on and I want to tell him to come play? What if I see that I receive a PSN message (upper right notification w/ subject) that says: "RE: CoD4"? Do I assume my friend is coming to play? Is he looking for a way to find me? Is he having problems with the game? Most people will just ignore the message and not quit out of the game to check their PSN mail just to see the body of the message says "omw".

The games have the ability to access that part of the XMB and add friends... if they're coded for that. Otherwise, yeah... we have to wait and hope that Sony will do it for them in an update... But we're going on a year now... there are too many ONLINE games that have lacked this feature on the PS3 either by omission or because they're waiting on Sony...

PSN ID: free
Gamertag: X freestyle X
post #278 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The games have the ability to access that part of the XMB and add friends... if they're coded for that. Otherwise, yeah... we have to wait and hope that Sony will do it for them in an update... But we're going on a year now... there are too many ONLINE games that have lacked this feature on the PS3 either by omission or because they're waiting on Sony...

+1

This is why Sony standardizing this is so important. Not every developer will go the extra mile to implement these features. Live's friends section is so nice because every online game has this functionality and I don't have to learn how this game does it vs. this game vs. another game, etc. Because of Sony not having these features, when I'm going to purchase a multi-platform game I feel I'll be spending a good amount of time online with I choose the 360 version. I have a significant amount of friends on my Live list (85% are from this forum) and most are just pure gamers that share an interest in the same types of games.

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #279 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 01:07 PM

All this worrying about adding friends... either way you'll be able to do it one way or another. I still haven't seen the question answered as to whether or not there is OFFLINE CO-OP?
post #280 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 PM

^ I know how ya feel...the whole "guest online" thing has been asked a million times on this board and others and no one ever seems to really answer the question.
post #281 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan51287 View Post

All this worrying about adding friends... either way you'll be able to do it one way or another. I still haven't seen the question answered as to whether or not there is OFFLINE CO-OP?

Right... there's a work around... but it isn't helpful. I know I've sent game invites to people on my PSN list from games they ended up NOT having... and they went out and got them... so it can just work in favor of the game makers.

post #282 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Sure... maybe it doesn't show any friends because 1.) he doesn't have any PSN friends or 2.) no PSN friends have logged in 1X to this game yet...

But that is not what is at issue. You should not have to add friends by leaving the game... Especially if they don't tie it into the recent players list, it becomes very difficult to build up friends on that game... you gotta write down their names (and/or freaky spelling of names) and remember to go to your XMB.

"No friends currently online playing Call of Duty 4"
But what about online and NOT playing CoD4? How do I message them?

What if I see a buddy log on and I want to tell him to come play? What if I see that I receive a PSN message (upper right notification w/ subject) that says: "RE: CoD4"? Do I assume my friend is coming to play? Is he looking for a way to find me? Is he having problems with the game? Most people will just ignore the message and not quit out of the game to check their PSN mail just to see the body of the message says "omw".

+1!!!

This post sums up my single greatest complaint about the PS3. This feature is so simple in theory and execution, what the hell is the hold up? This will improve the PSN's online community tenfold.

I can't tell you how many messages I have to sit there and wonder about while I'm playing a game, all because I can't check it without dropping out. It's so silly and unnecessary!

PSN ID: BlacJack
post #283 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^

that should change with the 2.0 firmware update (In-game xmb). But I totally agree with you.

Sony pay me 10 beeeelion dollars to plant blu-ray seeeeds.
post #284 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

There is limited clan support, to my knowledge. This includes a clan tagging system which allows you to carry your clan tag in brackets before your player ID, it allows for Clan v. Clan matches, and it will tell you if your clan members are online (assuming you have them on your friends list). I think that's about it for clan support.

Do you remember where you read this? I've been looking for info on clan support and all I've ever found is that the tags get unlocked (I think at level 11 in the beta)... But there was no list or any clan v clan matches in the beta.

post #285 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan51287 View Post

Things like a good buddy system, clan system, etc etc are what makes a good online game a great one. If you have "assed" multiplayer support like COD3, it's not nearly as fun or interesting to play.

It's one reason why I think a game like R:FOM still has appeal. It's online system is actually decent.

post #286 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

No more menus, need some IN-GAME screenshots Adam!

Friends don't let friends game in SD.
post #287 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 04:07 PM

Adams828 has now posted info about online co-op in his blog. There isn't online co-op from what he has seen so far. However, still no word on whether or not there is OFFLINE CO-OP. This would be co-op for the campaign or single player game like Resistance and Halo.
post #288 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
There's no co-op, online or off-line. I think it would have been mentioned in the hundreds of interviews and previews, and the two reviews (OXM and OPM).
post #289 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you remember where you read this? I've been looking for info on clan support and all I've ever found is that the tags get unlocked (I think at level 11 in the beta)... But there was no list or any clan v clan matches in the beta.

Tags came from beta

list came from the screenshot of the friends list

Matches came from COD message board, basically this is what the whole "private match" is on the screen shoots. Unlike in beta, you can take your party against another party in a private match, but you won't get ranked points for it.
post #290 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

There's no co-op, online or off-line. I think it would have been mentioned in the hundreds of interviews and previews, and the two reviews (OXM and OPM).

Right, the game won't ship with any kind of campaign co-op, as per Fourzerotwo (IW's spokesman).
post #291 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 07:16 PM

Just a quick update as I had been asked: The create-a-class menu (and other menus like clan tags) is locked out until you reach a certain multiplayer level.

BTW, there was just a HUGE plot twist in the last section I played. Let me know if I should post it in white text as a spoiler or not..
post #292 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 07:18 PM

A few new pics are up.. does anyone know how to avoid the banding when taking pics of plasma TV? In the more complex shots it isn't as noticable, but when there is a larger continuous section of sky, etc. it gets somewhat annoying.
post #293 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
thanks again for your contribution adam.

a request to joe_six_pack, can you add adam's blog to the OP so we don't have to dig through this thread to find it.

TIA.

edit: wow, nice new shots.
post #294 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^

Done.

post #295 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 07:45 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Nice, and thanks Joe and Adam. I do own a PS3, but will be getting the 360 version (friends). It's great looking at the pics though, and really appreciate them. November 6th can't get here quick enough.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #296 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 11:17 PM

ADAM PLS ANSWER THIS QUESTION...is there ONLINE split screen. Me and many other people would love to know the answer for this thx
post #297 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 PM

ADAM PLS ANSWER THIS QUESTION...is there ONLINE split screen. Me and many other people would love to know the answer for this thx..
post #298 of 703 Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Um.. what? It's been stated that there is no Co-op, what would be the point of "online split screen"?

Oh, and adams, you rock
post #299 of 703 Old 11-01-2007, 12:07 AM

i just mean like taking guests with you online in normal deathmatch type modes.
post #300 of 703 Old 11-01-2007, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Out of curiousity, why did adams828 mention this on his blog page RE: online co-op?
Quote:

For all those who have asked - as far as I can tell, there is NOT this option. If you enter split screen, you are not shown any online game options. Vice versa, in the online game lobby, there does not appear to be a split screen option.

Why is there a split-screen option at all if there is no off-line co-op?

Avarice
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page