COD4 discussion & review thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Adam,

Your pictures have become the talk of the gaming community such is their quality. Thank you for taking the pictures. I have registered on this forum to ask a question.

Does Call Of Duty 4 use dedicated servers online, similar to that of Resistance? If so, then how about the Party players can create for private matches, is that P2P or dedicated servers aswell like Resistance?

Thank you for time. I appreciate any information that you can share with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss View Post

Bourbon, are you getting jealous?

I'll probably get the 360 version because of the better friends list integration, etc., but these screen pics definitely make you think a little. I'd like to see the in-game MP pics of the PS3 version to compare with the 360's beta. That would probably give people a good gauge on the differences.

I wouldn't think so. I'm pretty sure the game out of the box on both versions is going to look a little better than the beta. The only fair comparison would be both boxed versions.

PSN ID: BlacJack
post #123 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 AM

Seriosuly adam, you're a celebrity now... I've seen your name mentioned in some forums already. Pics look sexy.. post some more!
post #124 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 AM

Do we have any factual information on the differences (if any) between the Xbox and PS3 version of this game? I own both consoles, and am trying to decide which version to get. If there aren't any significant differences, I'll probably go with Xbox simply because I prefer the trigger controller for shooters. But if there's exclusive content or functionality for the PS3 version, I'll get that. Anyone know?

XBL - thedanggang
PSN - the_dang_gang
post #125 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 AM

ADAM!!!!!!!, sorry for the caps, but it seem u didnt see my question. Do you know the max players?. in the OPM review they say is 24!, and i tought it was 18, could you please clarify. also great job with the pics i am waiting for those multiplayer shots
post #126 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any issues with frame rate slowdowns, stuttering, tearing, etc?

Sony pay me 10 beeeelion dollars to plant blu-ray seeeeds.
post #127 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

Farewell social life, I hardly knew ye.

+1

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #128 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 AM

Running on a Panny TH-50PX60U, have the PS3 set to 1080i output.

smario I'll check when I get home, don't know about max players off the top of my head.

Many of the multiplayer options are rank locked, but I'll see what I can dig up.

So far haven't noticed anything Joe, but probably moreso since during the times when fps might drop (multiple enemies, bullets, etc) I was busy trying not to die.

I'm not a huge fan of the grenade indicator, but I guess it's better than not knowing at all. I do like that you can sometimes throw 'em back

Pic List:

Shadows
Split Screen
Multiplayer options/parties/servers/etc
Action Shots (if I can get 'em)

(ah man eddy, there's that sig quote i was looking for! I was so tempted to post "so I got home today, and slipped COD4 into my trusty PS3...)
post #129 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaren613 View Post

I wouldn't think so. I'm pretty sure the game out of the box on both versions is going to look a little better than the beta. The only fair comparison would be both boxed versions.

Actually, based on information from IW the beta versions graphics would be very similar to the boxed versions. The beta was intended for feedback on weapons, perks, rank up, server issues, and most importantly finding the glitches people would look to exploit in MP. They stated that any graphical improvements would be minor touch-ups at best.

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #130 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Congrats on the addition! Is it just like another ghost recon ?
post #131 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrober View Post

Congrats on the addition! Is it just like another ghost recon ?

Judging from playing the 360 it is noticeably different than Ghost Recon. The smooth framerates on CoD4 separate it instantly, and the game is much more action oriented then GRAW2.

It is also, of course, an FPS only game (no Third person or OTS option on CoD4). Call of Duty games are much more focused on intense action whereas GRAW games are more about tactical play and attempt to pace the game at more realistic speeds.

In the CoD4 beta there were a few Team Tactical modes to be played... supposedly there are others (even the team tactical had to be unlocked in the beta)... The tactical modes were very fun, but the game pace is still pretty quick there even in the no-respawn modes. It is a bit closer to the pace of SOCOM 1/2 then it is to an Ghost Recon... but identical to neither.

PSN ID: free
Gamertag: X freestyle X
post #132 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

What's amazing about the game play on MP is how balanced it is. There are several different builds you can play with, and none of them feel overpowered. There's no "uber-build". Even the addition of airstrikes and helo strikes doesn't throw everything out of wack.
post #133 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

What's amazing about the game play on MP is how balanced it is. There are several different builds you can play with, and none of them feel overpowered. There's no "uber-build". Even the addition of airstrikes and helo strikes doesn't throw everything out of wack.

I agree. You had equal amounts of people that like a particular weapon, and those that didn't like it. Nothing stood out, with the one exception being the M16 for being fairly balanced. Of course, there are those that never use that one either....

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #134 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrossan7 View Post

Exactly.... everytime people talk about KB/M I try and envision how I would pull that off sitting on my couch and I never turns out well.

I too won't buy FPS games without kb+mouse unless forced to (a la Kill Zone). I figured out a workable setup for my PC that's connected to my 60" HDTV in front of my couch. At Target, they had these cool square wooden trays that are only 18" high (most trays are 24"+). I bought two of them, put them together and they are the perfect height for playing FPS titles from the couch with a kb+mouse. Because they are trays, they fold away when not needed. I suggest that to anyone who has a gaming HTPC setup.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #135 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I agree. You had equal amounts of people that like a particular weapon, and those that didn't like it. Nothing stood out, with the one exception being the M16 for being fairly balanced. Of course, there are those that never use that one either....

How were the shotties?

Were they cheap kills or were they useless?

post #136 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_six_pack View Post

How were the shotties?

It's funny... there was a lot of debate about that in the CoD4 beta forums... Many said they were great.. many said they were useless...

Supposedly they've been tweaked since the beta (I think that was said on the fourtwozero blog...)

But I found the shotguns great! One clean shot could take you out... but they took a bit of time on the reload... I used it a lot and got many kills with it... and it made my accuracy rating great...

I thought the shotties were very nice... and since there seemed to be equal disagreement on the subject, I would think the balance was nice... we'll see what happens in the retail version.

PSN ID: free
Gamertag: X freestyle X
post #137 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How about the martrydom skill (drop grenade before you die)? IGN said it was annoying (IMO hinted it was cheap). You think it would be better if it activated only 1/2 the time or some other control was implemented?

post #138 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I too won't buy FPS games without kb+mouse unless forced to (a la Kill Zone). I figured out a workable setup for my PC that's connected to my 60" HDTV in front of my couch. At Target, they had these cool square wooden trays that are only 18" high (most trays are 24"+). I bought two of them, put them together and they are the perfect height for playing FPS titles from the couch with a kb+mouse. Because they are trays, they fold away when not needed. I suggest that to anyone who has a gaming HTPC setup.

Sounds like they would work well for setting up a wheel as well. I'll have to check these out when UT3 comes out and i get KB/M for my PS3.
post #139 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Regarding the shotgun, I only found it useful on the "Vacant" map in the beta which was almost entirely close-quarters/run and gun. It was very satisfying to drop someone with one shot without having to aim all that accurately and I was definitely on the receving end of it on numerous occasions. However, I ultimately ended up favoring an automatic weapon.

With regard to the Martyrdom perk, I started to get annoyed with it at the end of the beta. To me, it hindered the flow of the game since most people were using it (myself included) and it just seemed that after every kill, you always had to dodge a grenade. It definitely added to my kill count, but given the choice I'd like to see it go or be watered down a bit.

That being said, I think I recall reading a post from "fourzerotwo" from IW saying that they made an adjustment to it for the final game to tame it a little. I looked for the post, but I couldn't find it. It might have been something like if you had already used your frag grenade before dying, you wouldn't have it for martyrdom, but don't quote me on that. It may very well be a different circumstance.

Can't wait for this game!
post #140 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Fastest thread to 10k views maybe? Jeeze!
post #141 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM

Adam were you able to make a room online? I know in the beta there was no option to do this. It would be interesting to see as to whether or not that room displays anywhere on the game as well.
post #142 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How were the shotties?

Personally, I'm not very good with a shotgun in any game, so I never really used it. A poster above said they like it on Vacant, which is by far the dominant map for that weapon. I heard comments from "useless" to "too powerful at long range".

Stephen.

post #143 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Just called around in Chinatown.. for us New Yorkers the game will be available on or before Friday..

Niiice.
post #144 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:38 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How about the martrydom skill (drop grenade before you die)? IGN said it was annoying (IMO hinted it was cheap). You think it would be better if it activated only 1/2 the time or some other control was implemented?

I started using it at the end of the 360 beta, and never really killed anyone with it. kind of like the "last stand" perk. By then, most people knew how/when to avoid getting killed by it.

Stephen.

post #145 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I havent done too much "research" on COD what is martyrdom? Is it actually something special they added to the game or is it just throwing down grenade and praying for a kill when you know you're finished?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #146 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How were the shotties?

I don't think I ever used the shotty and I didn't find myself getting killed by it that much either. When I ended up close to someone with one, it basically only took them one shot to take me out, but I felt like that was the rare exception to it being powerful, which it should be in close.

I primarily used the M4 once I unlocked that, as I found the MP5 too weak at the beginning, and you found out very quickly that scopes/laser sights on most of the maps were VERY important. Then, towards the end of the beta, I added a profile for the vacant map with the MP5 as my main weapon. The range on the MP5 was bad, but for close-quarter combat it was GREAT. The rate of fire was incredibly high and I raised my kill count substantially on this map because of this weapon and the amount of fire it could lay down quickly.

My biggest issue in the game was the M21 semi-auto sniper rifle. The rate of fire was very high, which makes sense, but the amount of recoil was WAY too low. As an example, I remember one time where a guy was probably 50 hundred yards away from me and he was able to get off 5 shots in a matter of seconds without using the scope and all were basically head shots. I provided feedback to IW about this and I hope they fixed it. This was one of the only weapons that I felt was a little unbalanced.

post #147 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:56 PM

Whuh-oh lol

Every free account with Photobucket is allotted 25 GB of monthly
bandwidth and our records show that you have less than 75 MB of
bandwidth left to your account.
post #148 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss View Post

I don't think I ever used the shotty and I didn't find myself getting killed by it that much either. When I ended up close to someone with one, it basically only took them one shot to take me out, but I felt like that was the rare exception.

I primarily used the M4 once I unlocked that, as I found the MP5 too weak at the beginning, and you found out very quickly that scopes/laser sights on most of the maps were VERY important. Then, towards the end of the beta, I added a profile for the vacant map with the MP5 as my main weapon. The range on the MP5 was bad, but for close-quarter combat it was GREAT. The rate of fire was incredibly high and I raised my kill count substantially on this map because of this weapon and the amount of fire it could lay down quickly.

My biggest issue in the game was the M21 semi-auto sniper rifle. The rate of fire was very high, which makes sense, but the amount of recoil was WAY too low. As an example, I remember one time where a guy was probably 50 hundred yards away from me and he was able to get off 5 shots in a matter of seconds without using the scope and all were basically head shots. I provided feedback to IW about this and I hope they fixed it. This was one of the only weapons that I felt was a little unbalanced.

Good to hear the weapons are pretty well balanced (with the exception of the semi sniper rifle). One thing that bugged me in R6 was that you could dump a scope on a submachine gun, and shoot accurately the length of the map. lol

post #149 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

I havent done too much "research" on COD what is martyrdom? Is it actually something special they added to the game or is it just throwing down grenade and praying for a kill when you know you're finished?

Its similar to last stand. Basically when you get 'killed' you automatically drop a grenade as a way to try and take-out the dude that killed you. Last stand was similar in that, once you were 'killed' you were still alive on the ground dying and you could try and take-out as many people as possible with a pistol before you would 'bleed out'. However, people adjusted to this and after they 'killed' you the first time, they would continue to pump a few more rounds into you which would end your 'last stand'.

post #150 of 703 Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Its something special they added. It's a "perk", so when you die you drop a live grenade.

In resistance, I try to dump a grenade on the ground before I die. Then when they charge over your body, they blow up. It works quite well, but harder to do if you're doing it manually before you die.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page