COD4 discussion & review thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^^^ I'd say that's pretty good english. Better than some people from where I'm from.

Anyhow. There's mention of split-screen multiplayer. Would this be the same as offline co-op? Can anyone confirm that there is offline co-op? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Cysquatch it doesnt have to be in "Chinatown" per se.. but usually ANY of the smaller shops that sell things like import games will sell titles early. Another thing to look for is if they have a regular cash register where you have to punch in the price on a number pad.. versus one of the more advanced registers that will scan things.

I actually found Madden07 for sale a few days early at Kmart. And while the cashier was more than willing to sell it to me, the actual cash register wouldnt. It would not allow the sale of the game before a predetermined date.

So for anybody thats looking around..

1) Search for small mom and pop shops that sell import games (these guys typically bend the rules selling import goods anyways)

2) Call first and see if in stock..

3) Take a trip with cash..

Like I said in NYC I've never been dissapointed trying to buy a game early when I find a combination of the above 3 things.

PS.. One more tip.. GOOGLE for "COD 4 early sale" in your city. With the internet you'd be surprised how many forums (just like one) has one person who finds a place to buy the game early. And shares it with the world.

Good advice. Trip to pier 39 this Saturday with a side trip planned! I may have found a place that specializes in imports. Hopefully they sell PS3 games. I'll try to find a number and give them a call today or tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

PS.. One more tip.. GOOGLE for "COD 4 early sale" in your city. With the internet you'd be surprised how many forums (just like one) has one person who finds a place to buy the game early. And shares it with the world.

I tried googling "COD4 early sale" (just like I typed it here) just for the heck of it and the only forum that came up in the search was this exact thread. LOL

Can't wait to get this game!!!

Adams, you are a lucky SOB to already have the game.

JD

PSN: R2-JD
Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^

We have a shop like that, but they charge over MSRP for early items & hot items. Good for those who really want them though...

Sony pay me 10 beeeelion dollars to plant blu-ray seeeeds.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 AM

The game has been up for sale In Singapore as early as Monday, My friend (from Singapore) has been bragging ever since he picked up his copy 2 days ago. It doesn't look fair when your scrolling through your friends list and see one person playing "Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare". LOL
Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 AM

Hey

Can any of you tell me if COD4 on Ps3 have splitscreen online?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Power View Post

Hi Adam, Good Morning all,

iam from Germany and my english isnt good.
I have a important question about the online mode. Is it possible to build a clan?
And my next question is: Can i play vs. all people around the world or is it only possible to play against people in Europe? I have a lot of friends in the USA and it will be nice if i can play with them..

Hope u understand my bad english

have a nice day

M-power

There is limited clan support, to my knowledge. This includes a clan tagging system which allows you to carry your clan tag in brackets before your player ID, it allows for Clan v. Clan matches, and it will tell you if your clan members are online (assuming you have them on your friends list). I think that's about it for clan support.

There are a number of options for picking servers to play on in private matches. There will be nothing stopping you from playing w/Euro's or North Americans if that's what you wish.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:30 AM

dboss - no idea so far about the "special luv". i'll see if I can dig around in the menus or what not.

m-power, there does indeed seem to be clan features. however I can't answer your question regarding international online play - I think we would need to wait until the game was released to see if someone in the USA could add you to their friend's list, and then invite you in-game?

edit: good info there skogan, more than i could surmise from the menus!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post

There is limited clan support, to my knowledge. This includes a clan tagging system which allows you to carry your clan tag in brackets before your player ID, it allows for Clan v. Clan matches, and it will tell you if your clan members are online (assuming you have them on your friends list). I think that's about it for clan support.

There are a number of options for picking servers to play on in private matches. There will be nothing stopping you from playing w/Euro's or North Americans if that's what you wish.

Hi Skogan!

Thanks for your definite answer! thats nice... Are u know if there is a Stat for particular clans? Because the clan support like warhawk or Rainbow six vegas is absurd.. there will be no ranks or stats for clans..

Thanks again for your answer
Old 10-31-2007, 09:36 AM

Hey adams have you given a rough score out of 10 on what you think of the game so far?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Is there going to be cross-platform support? Meaning Xbox 360 players can play PS3 players and also with PC players and vice versa? I went on charlieoscardelta.com but I couldn't find an answer to this.

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
Old 10-31-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams828 View Post

edit: good info there skogan, more than i could surmise from the menus!

I got that info from reading a post from FourZeroTwo (an infinityward rep) a few days ago.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikzilver View Post

Is there going to be cross-platform support? Meaning Xbox 360 players can play PS3 players and also with PC players and vice versa? I went on charlieoscardelta.com but I couldn't find an answer to this.

That would be cool, but I seriously doubt it.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikzilver View Post

I doubt it. Remember PSN is an open network while Xbox Live is a "pay to play" setup.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Power View Post

Hi Skogan!

Thanks for your definite answer! thats nice... Are u know if there is a Stat for particular clans? Because the clan support like warhawk or Rainbow six vegas is absurd.. there will be no ranks or stats for clans..

Thanks again for your answer

I don't know, but I doubt it. I think you will have to use competitve gaming leagues to rank your clan.

I belong to a clan called OK Company We were a Graw2 clan, but have now moved over to COD4, (we also have a strong Halo 3 division, but I'm not in that.) We compete on Gamebattles, which is an affilieate of Major League Gaming, and we are going to start competitng on NXgames ladders as well.

That is the best way to track you clans W/L ration, imo. Get your clan in a gaming league and start working your way up the boards.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

Good advice. Trip to pier 39 this Saturday with a side trip planned! I may have found a place that specializes in imports. Hopefully they sell PS3 games. I'll try to find a number and give them a call today or tomorrow.

Cysquatch, can you let me know where the shop is at?

PSN: DirtyPigeon
Old 10-31-2007, 11:01 AM

Looks like COD4 on PS3 really cannot do 1080p! Folks over at teamxbox are having trouble getting COD4 to display in 1080p. The game keeps switching back to 720p!

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread...=553983&page=6
Old 10-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAve View Post

Looks like COD4 on PS3 really cannot do 1080p! Folks over at teamxbox are having trouble getting COD4 to display in 1080p. The game keeps switching back to 720p!

I'll wait for an actual announcement...I won't believe anything I read on TEAMXBOX.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdebaser View Post

Cysquatch, can you let me know where the shop is at?

Pigeon if you find one you better hook a brother up and overnight me one!! PayPal will be your friend

PSN ID - BMC73
Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Oh I get "all" my solid factual PS3 info there
Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No that guy is a newb...

PS3 games can be developed to spit out a particular resolution when all resolutions are checked in the users settings... So one game may default to 720p (I'd assume that's what CoD4 will do)... and other's may default to their upscale (R6 Vegas defaults to a crappy upscale)...

So if that person unchecks 720p, THEN the ps3 will do the upscaling... If the programming is good, you'll get a good upscale to 1080p... if not... it will look soft and blurry.

I would think most developers would output the native resolution and allow you to scale it as you need (via your TV or external scaler)... If you don't support a resolution, some games will upscale for you... If your TV is bad at upscaling... then you'll have to go tweak your PS3 settings to disable the native resolution so you force the PS3 to upscale for you...

... I think it is that simple.

PSN ID: free
Gamertag: X freestyle X
Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM

Also if you do not have 1080P checked as possible resolution it will downscale to 720P ....
Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm6ct View Post

Also if you do not have 1080P checked as possible resolution it will downscale to 720P ....

The guy on the xbox forums said he had 720, 1080i, 1080p checked so I'm going with freestyle's explanation: uncheck 720p and 1080i and it should force an upscale.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm6ct View Post

Correction: If 720p is checked and your TV can accept that signal, it will outputted at 720p regardless (as that's the game's native resolution). If you want to force an upscale, you can un-check 720p and select either 1080i or 1080p for the PS3 to upscale to.

A good rule of thumb is, whenever possible, to play games in their native resolution.

Friends don't let friends game in SD.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Honestly why even trust that guy.. when you have Adam right here.

There again.. does Adam have a 1080p capable set? Does his set accept 1080P if not.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:

There again.. does Adam have a 1080p capable set? Does his set accept 1080P if not.

I believe Adam said 1080i.

psn: lowark

Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

So, it would appear that the PS3 version is missing a bit of code here.

Now, I don't want to really jump on IW too hard because I know that when you're developing a game for both the 360 and the PS3, it might make sense to just allow the console to take care of ALL player communication aspects, but the PS3 seems to want to force a little more creativity and uniqueness (for better or worse).

We know for certain that it is possible to include ALL the communication features of Live in a game for the PS3 (minus sending voice messages at this current time), but the developer has to code for that link to the XMB functionality.

The best this has been done so far is probably in either Skate. or in Resistance. Both those games give you access to your friends list, and in the case of Resistance (granted, after a patch) it actually gives you access to your full XMB buddy list row with all the functionality therein. You can send messages, game invites and access every one of your friends and recent players there. And it does not matter if the player is logged into the the game, or even the PSN. You can also receive messages from in-game too.

So we know it is possible. If EVERY game did what Skate and Resistance does, you'd have virtually identical cross-game communication features that come with live.

It is ASSUMED that the the PS3 will eventually get a software update that adds XMB access to the PS button and likely give you full access to your Friends Row on the XMB... When (or if) that happens... Then great. And it would honestly seem like many developers think this is going to happen. Because even a few Sony made games don't bother with integrating the PSN buddylist into their games. So when that happens... problem solved. Sorta...

I still think it is beneficial to games to add INTEGRATED access to the consoles features. I think it is much cooler in Skate that you have that little T-Mobile Sidekick and you're never taken out of the game... you stay immersed in the world and still have access to everything you need. This creates a better game-specific community feel... As opposed to a general PSN or Live community feel.

In addition, with the limit on friends allowed in both Live and the PSN, it is also helpful to do what a few games on the PS3 do, which is allow a GAME SPECIFIC friends list that you access from within that game... So that way you don't clutter up your main friends list with a bunch of random people that you might only run into occasionally on just one titles... but you still have a away to keep contact with them when you're on that game.

The rumored 2.0 system software update originally talked about XMB integration over games... but that seems to have disappeared in the latest rumors.

It is possible that developers such as IW are relying on this... But without that, I do think they are doing their game a disservice by not coding the game to link up to the PSN buddy list.

A lot of times you see people playing a game... you don't know if they're playing single player or multi.. If you message them, they have to leave the game to check the message... Or you might just not bother... But if they could receive messages from the game AND send messages to you at your XMB while they're IN the game... this can help a lot. This would encourage more people to play your game more often... Whenever I'm messing around in the XMB and I get a game invite from someone actually playing a game like Rainbow 6, Resistance, Skate, even Blazing Angels... I'll happily jump on and play. That definitely would help feed the beast and keep people playing... It works very well, obviously on Live where they don't leave that to the developers and just have it built into the Dashboard that you have access to from anywhere.

I think IW should load up Resistance and check out what Insomniac did there. I think this is a bigger issue then people probably realize (although XMB access given by Sony is way up their on everyone's wish list).

I'm sure that access is coming (in fact it was shown working way before the PS3 was released- At the end of that video it is shown)... but since the developers have the tools to make it work now, I don't think they should be waiting on Sony to do the work for them... When that comes, great... But if you want to build up an active online community, it is worth it to take the extra time to code this in NOW!

(vent over)

PSN ID: free
Gamertag: X freestyle X
Old 10-31-2007, 12:25 PM

It is totally my opinion but game Devs shouldnt be waiting for FW 2.0 for games to be able to access the XMB as Tiger Woods 08 and RFOM (through a patch) both are already capable of doing that very thing.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

It all boils down to development dollars. They had X amount to spend on developing this game for the PS3, and for that price it looks like you didn't get someone to program that feature.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:

His TV is only Cabable of 1080 i...