Did the $399 PS3's come out today? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 123 Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't heard anyone talking about these. It's all HD DVD.
If it did come out today, thats a pretty big PR win for HD DVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 11-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleybacker View Post

I haven't heard anyone talking about these. It's all HD DVD.
If it did come out today, thats a pretty big PR win for HD DVD.

No I'm pretty sure those don't come out until the week that "Spider-Man 3" hits Blu-ray. Anyone know when that's supposed to happen? I haven't heard much about that for a few days, either.
post #3 of 123 Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

my store got 2 in and 12 80 gigs with motorstorm .

Seems like sony is going to keep supply of the 40 gig unist really low . They must loose alot on those
post #4 of 123 Old 11-02-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd View Post

my store got 2 in and 12 80 gigs with motorstorm .

Seems like sony is going to keep supply of the 40 gig unist really low . They must loose alot on those

Being serious for a moment, I have to point out that the Circuit City where I work got in, I think, 11 40G PS3s Wednesday.
post #5 of 123 Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 PM

Yes, 11/02/07.
post #6 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep 11/2/07 was the "hold" date. The local walmart got 20 or so.

Not a bad price but it won't play ps2 games. If that matters. And no free game but you get spiderman 3 and 5 movies buy male
post #7 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

Not a bad price but it won't play ps2 games. If that matters. And no free game but you get spiderman 3 and 5 movies buy male

I'd get one if it was 5 movies and buy female!
post #8 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 12:39 AM

the neutered 40 gig will initially sell good and then quickly die just like the last one (price drop) and we're not talking huge spikes either maybe an extra 40k or so
post #9 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, "homer" seems fitting. It WILL play ps2 games, it just uses emulation like the 360 does for xbox games. And the 5 movies are *by mail*.
post #10 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

How come it doesn't play PS2 game? I thought the PS3 did that.
post #11 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post

Wow, "homer" seems fitting. It WILL play ps2 games, it just uses emulation like the 360 does for xbox games. And the 5 movies are *by mail*.

The 40 GB PS3 has no backwards compatability, not even software emulation - they don't really have a true 'software-only' emulator at all. They have a mix of software and hardware instead.

They're still using that mix in the 80 GB model, but didn't include the GS hardware in the 40 GB. They revealed that it didn't represent a noticeable savings to remove the hardware though, they did it to force gamers to look more towards the PS3 lineup of games, and to give the higher-priced SKU a selling point.
post #12 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle-Rod View Post

The 40 GB PS3 has no backwards compatability, not even software emulation - they don't really have a true 'software-only' emulator at all.

I stand corrected. Apologies to Homer.. a bit strange they would do this, ah well.
post #13 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post

I stand corrected. Apologies to Homer.. a bit strange they would do this, ah well.

It's not really that strange. With their hardware sales still lagging behind, they're becoming more concerned about the tie-in ratio for the console. Given relatively slow sales, they should have a fairly high tie-in ratio (games sold vs consoles sold) but it's just not stellar at all, somewhere between 3-4 games/console. The 360 is in the 6-7 games/console range.

The Wii is also in the 3-4 games/console range, but it's been selling a considerable amount more consoles, which flattens the tie ratio a bit.

So they cut PS2 compatability, forcing people to pick up PS3 games. It won't really work for people getting it as a Blu Ray player - they're just glad to see the lower price.

November NPD numbers should be interesting to see.
post #14 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

It's more quiet than old models, if you are only interested in Blu-ray you should buy this model.
post #15 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

How come it doesn't play PS2 game? I thought the PS3 did that.

Because in order to cut costs, Sony decided on stripping the software emulation from the 40GB model, which is odd because it's software based which is what the 80GB model uses.

Quote:

The sheer numbers of PS2 titles available, together with the increased complexity of using a software only solution for each and every title means that to ensure accurate software emulation for the majority would be technically challenging, time consuming and costly," he said.

Purple
post #16 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX View Post

Because in order to cut costs, Sony decided on stripping the software emulation from the 40GB model, which is odd because it's software based which is what the 80GB model uses.

Yeah but what dude said above is correct - it was a soft/hard combination. There isnt a fully software counterpart, tho I am 100% certain it could be done.

Sony came out in a press release and admitted they could do it, but they wanted to shift software sales to the ps3 line.

Odd move, but I only played 2 ps2 games on mine, and that was just to see how BC worked. Havent touched PS2 games since.

PS3 - RFoM, SSHD, WH
360 - H3

PSN:XodusTrance
XBL:XodusForever
post #17 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

BC is important to many people though, let's not say it's not. Perhaps to the causal gamer it's not as big of a deal, but to those that have an awful amount of titles, not having to switch between consoles is a plus. I'm all for ditching an older console if the latest handles everything before it. Keeps things tidy and much less of an annoyance in general.

Also, having to emulate each game is just a pain in the ass to keep up with it, so I wouldn't expect tons of titles available. Just ask Microsoft, there are still many games I wish they'd get to work on and make BC but it looks like a pipedream at this point.

Although Microsofts BC fiasco was due to them switching to ATI for the GPU, thus causing problems with NVidia. Which is why MS had to resort to software emulation in the first place instead of having a hardware solution.

Purple
post #18 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:

BC is important to many people though, let's not say it's not. Perhaps to the causal gamer it's not as big of a deal, but to those that have an awful amount of titles, not having to switch between consoles is a plus. I'm all for ditching an older console if the latest handles everything before it. Keeps things tidy and much less of an annoyance in general.

Also, having to emulate each game is just a pain in the ass to keep up with it, so I wouldn't expect tons of titles available. Just ask Microsoft, there are still many games I wish they'd get to work on and make BC but it looks like a pipedream at this point.

Although Microsofts BC fiasco was due to them switching to ATI for the GPU, thus causing problems with NVidia. Which is why MS had to resort to software emulation in the first place instead of having a hardware solution.

Well still no excuse for MS or Sony, but to be honest, I havent played my older titles one bit, on either system. YMMV of course, but it just isnt all that big to me. Its been even longer since I played a ps1 title.

Its certainly an odd move on Sony's part, but quite frankly, this console war has been a war of who can screw up the least.

PS3 - RFoM, SSHD, WH
360 - H3

PSN:XodusTrance
XBL:XodusForever
post #19 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 06:14 AM

I've seen the $400 PS3 mentioned all over the net and in nearly all recent articles on the format war. Do you mean on AVS? Its mentioned here quite a lot, but its not exactly something that one would feel compelled to start threads over (although there have been a few provocative ones like this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. View Post

It's more quiet than old models, if you are only interested in Blu-ray you should buy this model.

I've heard this numerous times, but I don't know how on earth anyone can tell. I seriously cannot hear my PS3 when playing Blu-ray or in XMB. Not an exaggeration in the slightest. Only very occasionally will it kick in the fan, and thats still quieter than my Wii's, which is not 'loud'.
post #20 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. View Post

How do you know, have you heard one.

Some people say they are very loud...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=932785
post #21 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I spoke to my Walmart manager when I was inquiring about an A2 and he told me they got some 40GB models but sold out. So yes, they are here. They are projeccted by analysts to sell 1.5 million PS3's in North America over the next 2 months. Let's see if they can do it.
post #22 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I spoke to my Walmart manager when I was inquiring about an A2 and he told me they got some 40GB models but sold out. So yes, they are here. They are projeccted by analysts to sell 1.5 million PS3's in North America over the next 2 months. Let's see if they can do it.

Sounds like wishful thinking. Not saying it isn't possible, but it won't be easy with a pathetic library.

IMO, the Wii and the 360 are still the hot consoles, both with great lineups going into the holiday season.

Purple
post #23 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
With the lack of knowledge about the lack of backward compatibility on display even in this thread, I suspect some "cheap" PS3 fans who pick up the crippled $400 unit are going to give Sony another PR nightmare.
post #24 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

In montreal Downtown they had a Pyramid of 40gig.. with about 30 machine and replinished it on the fly. I my 40 min i was here, i saw 6 peoples go out with 40go and 3 with 80go (in Canada the 80go dropped from 659$ to 499$). On that lot 2 people got extra Blu-Ray movie with it..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #25 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:

Sounds like wishful thinking. Not saying it isn't possible, but it won't be easy with a pathetic library.

I'll have to somehow force myself into enjoying myself with all the 'pathetic' games I'm limited to like CoD4, Ratchet, Uncharted, GH3, Assassins Creed, Haze, Time Crisis 4 and Orange Box.

And for your information, 1.5M isn't particularly good for holiday console sales. But I guess you know as much about game sales as about releases.
post #26 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMO, the Wii and the 360 are still the hot consoles, both with great lineups going into the holiday season.

The problem with the 360 is that it's a unrelieble POS hardware wise. I mean you know that when you talk Console with a 55 years old guy wanting to buy a console this Xmas to is grand kid and asked me if the 360 still have those 3RL he saw in the news 1-2 months ago...

And i had no choice to say yes...

It's the only console i ever owned that i know Nobody who didn't exchange it once at least and some several time.

MS 360 sales are pretty low right now even with all those great games and that 3 years warranty is costing them 1G(on that alone). MS might have all the money in the world, but Shareholders don,t like loosing money...

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #27 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Agreed, but you have to put 1.5 into context. That is about what the 360 sold last year. I think it will be between 1 million (low number) and 2 million (high number). In the context of the format war (not the console war) that is a huge number. Now, if Sony and the BDA can just get more people to buy and watch BD movies on the PS3..
post #28 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwar View Post

I'll have to somehow force myself into enjoying myself with all the 'pathetic' games I'm limited to like CoD4, Ratchet, Uncharted, GH3, Assassins Creed, Haze, Time Crisis 4 and Orange Box.

And for your information, 1.5M isn't particularly good for holiday console sales. But I guess you know as much about game sales as about releases.

Bold = Not exclusive. So what makes you think that someone would buy a PS3 to play those games, when the other consoles have blockbuster titles already available on top?

1.5 million isn't an impressive number? Perhaps not overwhelming, but when talking about consoles that cost as much as both the 360 and PS3 cost, it's nothing to blow off.

Purple
post #29 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Bold = Not exclusive. So what makes you think that someone would buy a PS3 to play those games, when the other consoles have blockbuster titles already available on top?

Oh, so not-exclusive means worthless? And you will just skim over the exclusives?

Btw, what are the exclusive titles on the other platforms this holiday season? Because the only other exclusive things I'm definitely getting are Mario Galaxy (Wii) and Mass Effect (360).

So yeah, that PS3 'pathetic' holiday release lineup is looking pretty damn reasonable to me.

Quote:

1.5 million isn't an impressive number? Perhaps not overwhelming, but when talking about consoles that cost as much as both the 360 and PS3 cost, it's nothing to blow off.

Actually, its little to do with price as it is consumer indifference. Certainly the PS2 had no problems shifting units at $300, which is not far off $400 adjusted for inflation.

Edit; and I'm not going to address further off-topic, unreasoned jabs at the PS3 which don't belong here.
post #30 of 123 Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwar View Post

Edit; and I'm not going to address further off-topic, unreasoned jabs at the PS3 which don't belong here.

Good because you saved me from ripping apart that first part of your post.

Purple
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page