Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
For $399 towards Dell.com's new deal you get:

- 40 GB PS3
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction game
- Spiderman 3 Blu-ray
- HDMI cable (normally sold separately)
- The five free Blu-ray deal is still in effect

If you've been on the fence, this is an excellent deal!

(EDIT: This is a Dell CANADA deal. Sorry for not noticing earlier).

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow. That's a fantastic deal!

Did you find this on Slickdeals or Fatwallet?!

Avarice
Old 11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
same deal at dell.ca. they also have the same thing but with Heavenly Sword and/or a second sixaxis controller.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, I see the caveat....it's Dell Canada! Don't think this is being offered in the US....yet.

Avarice
Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Sweet Deal..

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
Old 11-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Good Deal, but I bought my at Sonystyle with $100 off (sony card) and bout $5 hdmi from monoprice.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

Ah, I see the caveat....it's Dell Canada! Don't think this is being offered in the US....yet.

Bah, I didn't notice it until you brought it up. Thanks, I edited it in. I wish Canada would get their own currency name so we wouldn't get confused, something like "399 maple leaves" or something.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Old 11-05-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Bah, I didn't notice it until you brought it up. Thanks, I edited it in. I wish Canada would get their own currency name so we wouldn't get confused, something like "399 maple leaves" or something.

LOL

Avarice
Old 12-13-2007, 11:14 AM

Given that the CAD$ and USD$ are basically equivalent, this should still be a great deal, right? So my other question would be whether there are any hardware differences between the US version and the Canadian version. In other words, why wouldn't I go ahead and order this?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 12-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 View Post

Given that the CAD$ and USD$ are basically equivalent, this should still be a great deal, right? So my other question would be whether there are any hardware differences between the US version and the Canadian version. In other words, why wouldn't I go ahead and order this?

Thanks!
Scott

Depending on customs and shipping, it'd be a whole lot more expensive than $400 by the time it reaches you. Not to mention if Dell would even ship it to you from CA.
But it is essentially the same PS3 as any American version, if that's what you were aiming at.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:26 AM

Yeah, that is what I was going for question-wise, but you raise a great point on shipping costs even if they will ship it to me given that Dell has a US presence. So aside from that deal, does anyone know the next best bundle on a 40GB PS3 with R&C? I've seen the CostCo deal that also comes with the remote control and an extra controller for ~$515.

EDIT: Here's a transcript from a quick chat with a Dell Canada sales rep:

Quote:

Initial Question/Comment: Is this deal valid for US customers? I'm in the US and was wondering if that would be valid for me to order. If so, I also wondered if the shipping costs would be enough to negate any actual savings.

12:28:59 PM AgentCA SALES Suman 1287
The price and promotions are only valid in Canada

12:29:04 PM CustomerScott Wells
Ah. Oh well. Worth asking, I guess.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 View Post

Yeah, that is what I was going for question-wise, but you raise a great point on shipping costs even if they will ship it to me given that Dell has a US presence. So aside from that deal, does anyone know the next best bundle on a 40GB PS3 with R&C? I've seen the CostCo deal that also comes with the remote control and an extra controller for ~$515.

EDIT: Here's a transcript from a quick chat with a Dell Canada sales rep:

Right now I'd say your best bet is the Sony credit card offer. I haven't seen any new deals pop up on SD for a little bit.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:14 PM

Thanks. My wife just pulled the trigger on the CostCo bundle with Ratchet & Clank, an extra controller, the DVD/BR remote, and the Spidey 3 BRD (too bad that movie sucked so much...). $518 for all that. Not much of a savings, but a few dollars, and I would have bought everything in that bundle anyway.

Looking forward to checking out the PS3. I've had an X360 and a Wii pretty much since those were launched, but I haven't gotten a PS3 until now for a variety of reasons. I finally gave in because my wife wanted to get it for me as my X-Mas gift. Who am I to argue?!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:24 PM

I have been looking really hard at this same bundle at dell.ca

I am really torn between the PS3 and the XBOX360 though. I already have an HD DVD, and I will be using the system on my 106" screen through an HD70. I have owned a modded xbox for several years and use it now more as a media centre than a game console. I also know that the 360 just announced streaming DiVx support. I don't believe the PS3 has that capability, yet. The system will be used by my 10 and 7 year old boys.

WHich one should I get? I like the idea of getting the Blu Ray player to avail of the blu ray movies. The game selection seems more or less the same for both consoles. We already have a Wii. But I like the media centre capabilities of the 360 as well.

What's everyone think?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willise View Post

WHich one should I get? I like the idea of getting the Blu Ray player to avail of the blu ray movies. The game selection seems more or less the same for both consoles. We already have a Wii. But I like the media centre capabilities of the 360 as well.

Well, I'm happy to share my thoughts. I absolutely love my X360, but obviously I've decided to join the PS3 camp as well. I don't consider myself a "fanboy" of any console manufacturer, as I think they all have their pros and cons.

For me the reason the PS3 was a late addition relative to the other two is mostly due to the fact that it didn't have many exclusive titles that were compelling to me and it's quite expensive (less so now than in the past after the price cuts and new offerings, obviously) if you don't really have a good selections of content that appeals to you. The Blu Ray player has always been appealing to me, but I have the HD-DVD add-on for the X360, and an Oppo upconverting DVD player that has fantastic quality, if not HD quality. As with PS3 exclusive games, there weren't many Blu Ray exclusive films for my tastes. Overall I haven't felt like I was missing out on much.

I've really enjoyed my X360 over the past two years. The games have been great, I have many friends on Live (~20 of us, some subset of which gets online together once per week, plus one of my childhood best friends and I get on and play quite a bit), and as you mentioned, it's now an incredible media player with the recent firmware update to play Divx, Xvid, etc. In fact, I have it using a NAS that support UPnP so I don't even need a computer in between to enable media capabilities (and the PS3 should allow the same functionality, albeit without some of the newer codecs quite yet).

The X360 isn't without its own set of frustrations, though. For starters, it's VERY loud! While I'm gaming it's not a big thing, but while watching HD-DVDs and streaming videos it can be very annoying during quiet periods. The latest firmware seems to address an issue where the internal DVD drive would spin while watching videos for no good reason, and that helps, but the fan is still quite loud. I've also been paid a visit by the RRoD already. My replacement X360 is a little louder than the first and seems to run cooler, so here's hoping it'll stay alive, but it's frustrating to wonder if it's going to die at any given time. To reiterate, though...I do love my X360.

As for the Wii, as I think has been discussed many times, it's a different kind of beast. When I have folks over, the Wii is the system of choice for entertainment. Wii Sports, Tiger Woods Golf, Mario Party, etc., monopolize our time. It's not as pretty by a stretch, but good lord is it fun! For me it was a rational second console when I already had an X360. The PS3 wasn't.

Every since the price breaks on the PS3, the introduction of a some new exclusive games (I've been a Ratchet & Clank fan since the first one was released) and Blu Ray movies, I've been very interested in getting one. The final nail in the coffin was my wife's decision to get it for me for X-Mas this year.

My take is this...I feel like the X360 is currently the more complete solution, but not without its serious warts (buy a replacement plan!). The games on it (exclusive or not) are fantastic, the media hub capabilities are solid, and Live is a very mature online offering, albeit with a token ($50/year) price. You already have an HD-DVD player so you have the ability to play HD content. Many of the films you might want to watch that aren't available on HD-DVD can be downloaded from Live Marketplace for equivalent to a standard rental fee. I say this in admitted ignorance of the PS3 given that I just bought mine today. I'm sure others' responses will shed light on the ownership experience of a PS3, ideally as a compare/contrast of that system vs. the X360 for those that have had both for a longer period of time.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I have been looking really hard at this same bundle at dell.ca

I am really torn between the PS3 and the XBOX360 though. I already have an HD DVD, and I will be using the system on my 106" screen through an HD70. I have owned a modded xbox for several years and use it now more as a media centre than a game console. I also know that the 360 just announced streaming DiVx support. I don't believe the PS3 has that capability, yet. The system will be used by my 10 and 7 year old boys.

What's everyone think?

Asking for trouble here on the boards? That being said, if it is in your means, there is a good chance that in the current consoles lifetime you are going to own all 3 consoles, thus buy the one you whant now, and buy the other one for next christmas. There are far many more games on the Xbox than the PS3 currently, and if you are going to play games more than watch movies, get the Xbox. If you want to watch movies more than play games, the PS3 will do both very well, and hopefully in the next couple of years will have a lineup of many more games. Another factor is that there are many excellent Xbox games for dirt cheap now (<$20), whereas most of the good PS3 games are still at max price ($59.99). You will be happy with either decision, but be honest with yourself, games or movies.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
Old 12-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post

Asking for trouble here on the boards?

LOL you are probably right, but not being a fanboy of either system, I though I'd ask.

A couple of questions, though. My projector and plasma TV are both 720p native, but will accept 1080i. Is this an issue with either console? Will 1080p games from either system look better than the other. More specifically, will blu-ray movies be output at 1080p and then let the display scale it to 720p? Also, I know you can replace the hard drive in the PS3, so will it play x.264 or mkv files downloaded to the hard drive?

Also, I want to run component cables from the PS3 to my receiver, then to the projector (until I get a HDMI switch). What resolution will BD movies be sent to the projector? Some sites say 1080p, others say 720p and some even say 480p (although my TV is 720p native so the 480p shouldn't apply).

Thanks a lot
Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

LOL you are probably right, but not being a fanboy of either system, I though I'd ask.

A couple of questions, though. My projector and plasma TV are both 720p native, but will accept 1080i. Is this an issue with either console? Will 1080p games from either system look better than the other. More specifically, will blu-ray movies be output at 1080p and then let the display scale it to 720p? Also, I know you can replace the hard drive in the PS3, so will it play x.264 or mkv files downloaded to the hard drive?

Also, I want to run component cables from the PS3 to my receiver, then to the projector (until I get a HDMI switch). What resolution will BD movies be sent to the projector? Some sites say 1080p, others say 720p and some even say 480p (although my TV is 720p native so the 480p shouldn't apply).

Thanks a lot

To quickly summerize, to get 1080p for movies out of the PS3/Xbox360, you need HDMI (or VGA from Xbox). However if your display devices are 720p, then nothing to worry about. Set the output display to 720 (for both PS3 and Xbox) to match the native resolution of the TV. If you set it to 1080p, likely the TV will not recognize the signal. Setting the output to 1080i, will similarly let your display device scale the information back to 720p. Almost all games are rendered in 720p anyways (very few if any will be rendered in1080p this generation), so there is no need to 'force' the gaming machine to output anything higher anyways.

Some people feel the HDMI conectivity is better than component, some people feel the VGA is better (for Xbox), at the end the only way you will know is trial and error, as each display device is different, and that will determine the best interconnect.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number