post #91 of 94 Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Can someone post a link to the PQ Tier thread? I'm probably retarded, but I can't seem to find it.

Brandon provided it, but keep in mind that screen grabs also are dependent on your monitor/display for accuracy in terms of color, detail, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

And keep in mind that direct screen grabs are 100% accurate to what's actually on the disc without any sort of post processing.

What you see will be affected by your own monitor. As an example, in the threads the screenshot section I am running a 37" 1080p monitor. The DVD picture appears much, much larger than native resolution..so they look worse than normal....the 1080p shots appear smaller than real-size, so they will look as good as they possibly can. In those picture threads, assuming you are using a monitor at a rez greater than 480p, the DVD pics will take a visual hit.

Quote:

And there is nothing wrong with the person's PC...they've been doing this for years now and other tech/review sites actually refer to some of his threads for information.

Irrelevant.

Anyhow, I didn't see the macroblocking that he references in the fire shot...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #93 of 94 Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 PM

Liked: 10
Hi guys!!!

Getting ready to buy my first PS3, can't wait!!!! I was just wondering for standard def DVD's, I know it upscales the PQ, but will it also do this with say avi files on a USB??? Or do the avi files in standard def need to be burned to a DVD-R to be upconverted???

Thanks guys in advance for your answers.

Long live the PS3!!
post #94 of 94 Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrus View Post

Hi guys!!!

Getting ready to buy my first PS3, can't wait!!!! I was just wondering for standard def DVD's, I know it upscales the PQ, but will it also do this with say avi files on a USB??? Or do the avi files in standard def need to be burned to a DVD-R to be upconverted???
:

Firmware 2.42 Video changes are below:

Video

* You can now use the [Frame Noise Reduction] and [Block Noise Reduction] settings for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media.
* You can now play upscaled video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. When the video content is played, it is upscaled automatically to match the screen size.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Ab...html#update240

To my eyes the upconversion is noticeably better when the file is played from optical media. The files I have watched are home movies in Mpeg2 format.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page