PS3, Upconversion and Blu-Ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2007, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like to play games on occasion. I have quite a few SD DVD's. I do not have any PS2 games. I am trying to decide if I want a PS3 for the blu-ray or an HD-DVD. I don't want to start a war between the two. I would like some feedback on upconversion of DVD's. Is the PS3 worth the extra money over the HD-DVD? Is one better at upconverting? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 PM

The PS3 upconverts sd dvd's like a champ...You won't be dissapointed.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 PM

I thought Transformers on SD-DVD through the PS3 looked great. probably would look better on HD, but I haven't gotten an HD DVD player yet. I was really impressed with the upconversion of the PS3.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to add: The PS3 does a fine job at upconverting and unlike other players, you can use some filters in the menu to clean up frame noise and other things. You can also choose to "Double Scale" those REALLY old DVD transfers to clean them up a bit.

The PS3 is also a great media center. I am also a big DVD owner and I've been converting my movies to VOB for an archive. The PS3 will play these at 100% quality and will upscale the pure digital versions too!

Although you don't game much now, it might also be nice that if you ever get a whim to try a new title, your system is ready to go.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

I figure I will get the bug to play more sports games and watch more movies and I guess dollar for dollar and feature for feature, the PS3 has it all over stand-alone BD players and HD-DVD.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 PM

Tonight I tested out the upscaling abilities of my Toshiba A-2. My wife and I popped in the second season of The Office and the picture was a little washed out and eventually froze on the Toshiba. Don't know why because it was a brand new DVD never played and the Toshiba is updated with the latest firmware.

After the third freeze I popped into my ps3 and the picture was crisper and the colors brighter. Also no freezing so my ps3 will be my sd DVD player and the Toshiba will be used only for HD DVDs.

Edit: The equipment used was an Onkyo 605 w/ HDMI, a mono price 2x1 HDMI switcher and a Samsung hl-s6187w DLP 1080p TV. The Toshiba uses the switcher and the ps3 doesn't. Both run monoprice HDMI cables into the Onkyo and then another monoprice HDMI cable into the television.

Chris
Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasjetfan View Post

I figure I will get the bug to play more sports games and watch more movies and I guess dollar for dollar and feature for feature, the PS3 has it all over stand-alone BD players and HD-DVD.

Considering you can get a decent HD DVD player for under half the price the PS3, that really depends on how important being able to play PS3 games is to you.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't say having a PS3, blu-ray or HD-DVD player is important at all. I am just looking for the most complete system which is obviously the PS3. The upconversion is really the only thing I am concerned or interested in since the PS3 can play BR movies and games. If it is equal or better than HD-DVD at upconversion, I would consider buying it because it has more BR movies that I would buy anyways.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't say having a PS3, blu-ray or HD-DVD player is important at all. I am just looking for the most complete system which is obviously the PS3. The upconversion is really the only thing I am concerned or interested in since the PS3 can play BR movies and games. If it is equal or better than HD-DVD at upconversion, I would consider buying it because it has more BR movies that I would buy anyways.

The upconversion on the ps3 is very good. Those who are dual format say that one of the HD-DVD players is ever so slightly better, but I haven't heard that anyone has complained about the ps3's upconversion.

I would say get the ps3, 40gb version and you'll have everything your looking for (unless you have SACD's). Hope that helps!

-Splints
Old 11-27-2007, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme View Post

Considering you can get a decent HD DVD player for under half the price the PS3, that really depends on how important being able to play PS3 games is to you.

I'd say studio support plays into his decision more than price.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

The upconversion on the ps3 is very good. Those who are dual format say that one of the HD-DVD players is ever so slightly better, but I haven't heard that anyone has complained about the ps3's upconversion.

I would say get the ps3, 40gb version and you'll have everything your looking for (unless you have SACD's). Hope that helps!

-Splints

I am one of those with an HD DVD player and a PS3. The PS3 does a really good job at upconversion. Strangely it seems to me that neither one is better; they are just different. In my experience some DVDs look better on the PS3 and some look better on the HD DVD player. But if I only had the PS3 I wouldn't be disappointed in the upconversion.

PSN brakel

Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

I'd say studio support plays into his decision more than price.

That is easy for you to say now, but he didn't say anything to suggest that prior to my previous post. But yeah, if Blu-ray exclusives are high on the list of wanted features, then a HD DVD player is obviously a poor option.

Personally though, if wasn't a gamer, I would have rather bought an HD DVD player over my PS3 as the former has far more eclusives that interest me. I'm still holding out for an internal HD DVD drive for my HTPC though, one is bound to be released someday.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn View Post

Just to add: The PS3 does a fine job at upconverting and unlike other players, you can use some filters in the menu to clean up frame noise and other things. You can also choose to "Double Scale" those REALLY old DVD transfers to clean them up a bit.

The PS3 is also a great media center. I am also a big DVD owner and I've been converting my movies to VOB for an archive. The PS3 will play these at 100% quality and will upscale the pure digital versions too!

Although you don't game much now, it might also be nice that if you ever get a whim to try a new title, your system is ready to go.

I'd like to "+1" this post...

While watching my SD "The Matrix" DVD I noticed a menu to fix blocking and edge details... I started playing with them, and the picture was even better than it was originally (and I was really impressed with the quality as it was!)...

The PS3 is a phenominal upconverting player, and the fact that it's a Blu-Ray player AND game machine to boot, makes it a great deal. I am really glad I picked up a PS3!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfaller View Post

Tonight I tested out the upscaling abilities of my Toshiba A-2. My wife and I popped in the second season of The Office and the picture was a little washed out and eventually froze on the Toshiba. Don't know why because it was a brand new DVD never played and the Toshiba is updated with the latest firmware.

After the third freeze I popped into my ps3 and the picture was crisper and the colors brighter. Also no freezing so my ps3 will be my sd DVD player and the Toshiba will be used only for HD DVDs.

Edit: The equipment used was an Onkyo 605 w/ HDMI, a mono price 2x1 HDMI switcher and a Samsung hl-s6187w DLP 1080p TV. The Toshiba uses the switcher and the ps3 doesn't. Both run monoprice HDMI cables into the Onkyo and then another monoprice HDMI cable into the television.

Chris

I have noticed much the same, only I have a Toshiba A3. It doesn't upscale quite as nicely as the PS3 - could be because of the PS3's forced 1080p/24-ness, of course, but I'm not made out of money so I couldn't afford a 1080p HD-DVD player too.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I have a 50" Panny that is 720p. Will that be a problem with the blu-ray? That is one of the reasons I was leaning towards the A2 earlier because it was 720p or 1080i. Format wise, I like movies on both formats, but blu-ray has more of my favorites, plus I think Blockbuster rents BR and not HD-DVD. Right?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I have a 50" Panny that is 720p. Will that be a problem with the blu-ray?

- No, you can either have the PS3 scale BluRay movies to 720p or let your TV do it. The picture will look good either way.

Quote:

Format wise, I like movies on both formats, but blu-ray has more of my favorites, plus I think Blockbuster rents BR and not HD-DVD. Right?

- Online has both. In store depends on your local store.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I have a 50" Panny that is 720p. Will that be a problem with the blu-ray? That is one of the reasons I was leaning towards the A2 earlier because it was 720p or 1080i. Format wise, I like movies on both formats, but blu-ray has more of my favorites, plus I think Blockbuster rents BR and not HD-DVD. Right?

It will work fine at 720p, I've tested it with my setup in both 720p and 1080i.

Blockbuster stores rent mostly BD but some have HDDVD also. Blockbuster online rents both, but often the wait is horrible. I quit them over that issue as well as jacking up the price.

Lloyd
Old 11-27-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

The biggest use I get out of my PS3 is as a media center. Gaming aside, no standalone player can match its ability to store/stream movies, music, and pictures. All of my high resolution MP3s are now available to my home theater system. No more fetching CDs from the jukebox downstairs or making copies of them. Very sweet capability.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Can you add video from a digital camcorder to the PS3? I watch game film of my athletes that I train and being able to store on PS3 would be great. Also, do you still get free movies with purchase of PS3?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a 50" Panny that is 720p.

Are you sure that isn't 768p? I've never even heard of a 50" Panny that is 720p. Regardless, both Blu-ray and HD DVD moves are almost always 1080p on the disk, and the players for both can always interlace that to 1080i or downscale it to 720p when needed. Downscaling to 720p isn't a good option for a 768p display though as the TV will have to upscale that again, loosing fedlity that would otherwise be avalable when running 1080p or 1080i.

As for transfering video from an external sorce like your camcorder; I don't know of any way to do that, at least not without running linux on the console.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old CROW View Post

The PS3 upconverts sd dvd's like a champ...You won't be dissapointed.

what he said...

ps3 ~ oppo

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:54 PM

While I agree that the PS3 upconverts SD DVDs very well, I'm surprised that no one points out the noise issue.

Although the PS3 is quieter than other consoles we won't name, it is still much noisier than a regular upconverting DVD player.
I don't play SD DVDs in my PS3... I'd rather see my affordable DVD player break than the expensive PS3. I prefer to minize the wear on the PS3.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefx73 View Post

While I agree that the PS3 upconverts SD DVDs very well, I'm surprised that no one points out the noise issue.

Although the PS3 is quieter than other consoles we won't name, it is still much noisier than a regular upconverting DVD player.
I don't play SD DVDs in my PS3... I'd rather see my affordable DVD player break than the expensive PS3. I prefer to minize the wear on the PS3.

what noise?

mine is as loud when it's on as it is when it's off...

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:

I like to play games on occasion. I have quite a few SD DVD's.

PS3 would probably fit your needs nicely.

Strictly in terms of upscaling, the PS3 holds its own against my HD-XA2; this is no small feat in my opinion. I have no experience other HD DVD players.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefx73 View Post

In the game forums, one will not see many complaints of noise.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Can you add video from a digital camcorder to the PS3? I watch game film of my athletes that I train and being able to store on PS3 would be great. Also, do you still get free movies with purchase of PS3?

Not only can you access your stored videos with your PS3, if you ever decided that you needed those videos in a portable fasion, you could get a PSP and access the PS3 from any WiFi location. So, you could access the stored videos on your home PC on the PSP via the PS3 from anywhere in the world that has WiFi. Very easy to do.

Chet
Old 11-27-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Not only can you access your stored videos with your PS3, if you ever decided that you needed those videos in a portable fasion, you could get a PSP and access the PS3 from any WiFi location. So, you could access the stored videos on your home PC on the PSP via the PS3 from anywhere in the world that has WiFi. Very easy to do.

That is nice, but how do you take video off of a camcorder and store it on the PS3? That is what he is asking, and I'm pretty sure the answer is that you don't, at least not without running Linux on it.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme View Post

That is nice, but how do you take video off of a camcorder and store it on the PS3? That is what he is asking, and I'm pretty sure the answer is that you don't, at least not without running Linux on it.

Usually camcorders have some kind of capture/editing software for the PC.
  • Capture the footage to the PC.
  • Compress it to a PS3 compatible format by either using the included software or another readily available software for converting to the PS3. Save this compressed file on your PC.
  • Use the Windows Media Player on the PC to act as a server for the PS3.
  • Access the content on the PC via the PS3.
  • Access the PS3 via the PSP.

The content would sit on the originally captured PC. The PS3 would access it from there and then the PSP would access the PS3. Pretty cool really.

Chet
Old 11-27-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Usually camcorders have some kind of capture/editing software for the PC.
  • Capture the footage to the PC.
  • Compress it to a PS3 compatible format by either using the included software or another readily available software for converting to the PS3. Save this compressed file on your PC.
  • Use the Windows Media Player on the PC to act as a server for the PS3.
  • Access the content on the PC via the PS3.
  • Access the PS3 via the PSP.

The content would sit on the originally captured PC. The PS3 would access it from there and then the PSP would access the PS3. Pretty cool really.

Sure, but dallasjetfan was asking about is storing the content on the PS3 rather than a PC.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:40 PM

My camcorder can record to memory sticks. Its not as good as the tapes, but might work. (I've not tried to see if it would need converting)