PS3 - external drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I recently purchased a 500gb external drive for my ps3 to store music and movies on. Being a Seagate, it's formatted ntfs. I know the ps3 only recognizes fat32, but if I'm streaming from my laptop, it should be fine right? I figured I have more flexibility from my laptop instead of having it plugged in the ps3. I've heard file size limitations with fat32 as well, so I want to make sure everything is good to go before moving data.

Also, I read I should make 3 folders - music, movies, and photos. Anything else to consider? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Files size is the big concern, but adding a external drive works great. I just switch the drive back and forth between my PC and PS3.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Having dvds means file sizes will be pretty big, up to 6-7gb each.

I heard fat32 is limited to 4gb, but I'm not sure if it's true.
post #4 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interspy24 View Post

Hey all, I recently purchased a 500gb external drive for my ps3 to store music and movies on. Being a Seagate, it's formatted ntfs. I know the ps3 only recognizes fat32, but if I'm streaming from my laptop, it should be fine right? I figured I have more flexibility from my laptop instead of having it plugged in the ps3. I've heard file size limitations with fat32 as well, so I want to make sure everything is good to go before moving data.

Also, I read I should make 3 folders - music, movies, and photos. Anything else to consider? Thanks in advance.

Streaming is fine. File structure is really up to you. Having it hooked up the PS3 is probably the best to eliminate any lag especially for video. However that would require for you to do fat32.. have fun
post #5 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMOTA View Post

Streaming is fine. File structure is really up to you. Having it hooked up the PS3 is probably the best to eliminate any lag especially for video. However that would require for you to do fat32.. have fun

Did your PS3 recognized the external hard drive? I read it would only read any thing 320gigs or less. The first 500gig drive I bought wasn't recognized by the PS3, so I switched to a 250 compact drive.
post #6 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMOTA View Post

Thanks for the info. Any advice on file structure?
post #7 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I heard fat32 is limited to 4gb, but I'm not sure if it's true.

Actually, I believe it's that no one file on any given partition can be in excess of 4GB even though a single FAT32 partition can be up to 32 GB.

Quote:

Any advice on file structure?

To use the entire drive approximately 15 partitions would need to be set up but I'm unaware of whether the PS3 would recognize them all.
post #8 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

There are tools on the Interent to partition a larger drive fat32. I am using a 200 GB drive, all one partitiion.

The file size limit is 4 GB too. That is why the Divx update will be so valuable.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 08:45 AM

There is a tool on Western Digitals site for the World Book that will format a drive fat32 any size you want.

Http://support.wdc.com/download/external/ExtFat32.zip
post #10 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

There are tools on the Interent to partition a larger drive fat32. I am using a 200 GB drive, all one partitiion.

The file size limit is 4 GB too. That is why the Divx update will be so valuable.

Thanks for your response.

Once the divx update is available, I'll be a happy camper. I'm really waiting on that so I don't have to transcode, just backup movies and go!
post #11 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 61
FAT32 recognizes up to two terabytes. unfortunately, microsoft crippled FAT32 in windows by limiting it to 32GB. if you want to set a partition bigger than 32GB, you need to google for a FAT32 formatting program. file size limitations is 4gb max per file, but you shud not be running into any issues with that right now with the possible exception of HD content. i bought a seagate 250gb external usb drive and reformatted it to fat32 and it works fine when connected to the ps3.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #12 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

FAT32 recognizes up to two terabytes. unfortunately, microsoft crippled FAT32 in windows by limiting it to 32GB. if you want to set a partition bigger than 32GB, you need to google for a FAT32 formatting program. file size limitations is 4gb max per file, but you shud not be running into any issues with that right now with the possible exception of HD content. i bought a seagate 250gb external usb drive and reformatted it to fat32 and it works fine when connected to the ps3.

Thanks for clarifying. I think for now I'll keep it ntfs and just stream the files (more flexbility from my computer). I plan on getting hd content in the near future as well.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 AM

Liked: 11
Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500gb(single partition) worked fine on my PS3.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 10:55 AM

This thread has been most interesting. Even though I'm not the OP, thanks!
post #15 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Having tried an external drive and the streaming approach, I recommend hooking up the external drive to your PC and streaming. I find I get more use out of the drive, and it's easier to have my PC and my PS3 with access to everything. I have found watching DVDs from my hard drive to be pretty useless, so it's not something I do. I'd rather enjoy the higher quality video and sound provided by my DVD player. But, for music, pictures, and home movies, it works great. I highly recommend Tversity.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

here's the link that i used...

http://www.ps3forums.com/archive/index.php/t-41928.html

knid of scary when you don't know exactly what you're doing but it did work for me.

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-27-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkosmurf View Post

Having tried an external drive and the streaming approach, I recommend hooking up the external drive to your PC and streaming. I find I get more use out of the drive, and it's easier to have my PC and my PS3 with access to everything. I have found watching DVDs from my hard drive to be pretty useless, so it's not something I do. I'd rather enjoy the higher quality video and sound provided by my DVD player. But, for music, pictures, and home movies, it works great. I highly recommend Tversity.

Thanks, that's why I plan on streaming from my laptop right now.

When divx is available, that's when the real fun starts!
post #18 of 27 Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quick question,

The drive was easily added (it's drive E). However, how do I allow this drive to be seen and shared? Right now the files being shared are in my documents, primary music, movies, and pictures.

I'd like all the info on the external drive (E) to be able to be shared and streamed, thanks in advance.
post #19 of 27 Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

I read that vids can only be played from an external if they are Mpeg2. Is that correct or can you play Mpeg 4 files from an external as well?
post #20 of 27 Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 PM

If you convert DVDs to and MPG4/AVC format using something like Handbrake, then you can easily get a 3 hour movie under 4gb. This is for SD, of course.
post #21 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions for post 18?

I need the external drive to be seen and shared so its contents can be streamed, thanks.
post #22 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I formated a WD Passport drive to Fat32, then I created the folders for Vids, Musci and Photo, Placed some content in them. I formatted with Swissknife. When I hooked the drive tot he PS3 It saw it but did not see my content. So I took it off the PS3 put it back on the PC and I saw a bunch of Garbage folders and files like the PS3 scrambled the drive somehow. I had to delete the Partition and Reformat in NTFS to fix the drive, has that happpened to anyone else
post #23 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Scarpad.

Same thing here. I had to reformat at NTFS then format again at FAT32 BUT make sure you format the drive active so it can be turned off and on without having use use the "safely remove hardware" on a PC. Also when I put data into the respective folders on my drive they still don't show up on the PS3 unless I highlight the drive, hit triangle, select "show all". This shows the four folders on the drive, then when I select the music folder, per se, my music shows up. weird anomally that I'll trouble shoot tonight when i get home. Hope this helps.

"Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious"

Home Theater
post #24 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSirReal View Post

Scarpad.

Same thing here. I had to reformat at NTFS then format again at FAT32 BUT make sure you format the drive active so it can be turned off and on without having use use the "safely remove hardware" on a PC. Also when I put data into the respective folders on my drive they still don't show up on the PS3 unless I highlight the drive, hit triangle, select "show all". This shows the four folders on the drive, then when I select the music folder, per se, my music shows up. weird anomally that I'll trouble shoot tonight when i get home. Hope this helps.

Now what do you mean by format Active? Is that a setting within Swisknife? When it was read by the PS3 even using the Triangle and saying show all did not read the content. I'm more or less trying this out with this drive to see if it's worth buying a bigger external for it. What has worked pretty well for me is putting a vid on my PSP's Mem card and putting it in the 80gb card reader and copying to the HD. I wish both Sony and the 360 had thought out their interfaces for Media a bit better, they are both pretty lousy, especially that they want the PS3 to be a media hub.
post #25 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 01:45 PM

yes, formatting the drive active is a check box in Swissknife. After formatting this way you can test it by turning off the drive without using "safely remove hardware" and then turning it back on and seeing if your file/folder structure is still intact. If the drive is corrupted again try low level formatting it NTFS and then reformat again using swissknife with Fat32 and active checked. That's what eventually worked for me anyway.

PS I totally agree with the media interface. I mean why can't I listen to one song and search folders for another WHILE it's playing. Major faux pas I think.

"Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious"

Home Theater
post #26 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, formatting the drive active is a check box in Swissknife. After formatting this way you can test it by turning off the drive without using "safely remove hardware" and then turning it back on and seeing if your file/folder structure is still intact. If the drive is corrupted again try low level formatting it NTFS and then reformat again using swissknife with Fat32 and active checked. That's what eventually worked for me anyway.

PS I totally agree with the media interface. I mean why can't I listen to one song and search folders for another WHILE it's playing. Major faux pas I think.

Thanks, I have an Apple TV and it's interface is Fantastic so I'm probably sticking with that...
post #27 of 27 Old 11-30-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh? I do this all the time. I even surf the internet while listening to music. Of course, I've never tried listening to something on an external hard drive. I'm always either streaming from my PC or listening to music from the internal hard drive.

The best way to use the PS3 as a media hub is with Tversity from my experience. With Tversity, you can setup your own lists and folder structures on the PC, then instantly have things organized that way on the PS3. How is that not a great way to do it? Having to "Select All" is one of the main reasons an external HDD is not the way to go.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page