How do I get CD Cover Art to show up on the PS3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is it possible for the PS3 to show cover art for the music I stream from my Windows Media Server? I could have sworn there was an option for this on the PS3. Beyond that, I'd like for the cover art to be a part of the screensaver that comes on when playing music.

Chet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That would be cool to have it as a screensaver. Tagging along.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-29-2007, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you use http://twonkyvision.com/ for the media server, it will show album art where the boxes with the music symbols are.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-29-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

From the first day I ripped some CDs on the PS3, I've had the album covers copied and pasted. You just find them on the net and save them using the browser or use a memory card on your PC and under album information you highlight the box and it will let you change the picture. It looks pretty sweet when the screen is in motion and you have the album cover with the song and artist.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 AM

Liked: 11
Wow, our 60gb does is automatically....I figured all of them do. I'll have to check the 40gb to see if it does it to.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-30-2007, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's the thing. I HAVE the 60GB model. How do you set it up to do it automatically?

MIAaron, are you using the Windows Media Server? Can you outline your process of getting the album art to show up on the PS3?

Thanks,

Chet
post #7 of 14 Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a 60GB model and have always had to find the cover art elsewhere. If there's a way to have the PS3 do this automatically, I would love to be in on the secret.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Liked: 11
Um, I don't have a process. lol When I stream with wmp11 it shows up, and when I play mp3's on my PS3 it shows up. My music has been ripped with all sorts of different programs, and everyone that put album art on shows up on the ps3. Programs that didn't, like CDex, don't show up.

FWIW, the album art doesn't show up on the full screen, just in a small box on the lower left of the screen.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-30-2007, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAaron View Post

Um, I don't have a process. lol When I stream with wmp11 it shows up, and when I play mp3's on my PS3 it shows up. My music has been ripped with all sorts of different programs, and everyone that put album art on shows up on the ps3. Programs that didn't, like CDex, don't show up.

FWIW, the album art doesn't show up on the full screen, just in a small box on the lower left of the screen.

Interesting. I have Windows Media Player 11 and the album art shows up in WMP, but NOT on the PS3. So, my question becomes this:
  • Do I have to do anything on the PS3 to allow the album art to show up?

Chet
post #10 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Interesting. I have Windows Media Player 11 and the album art shows up in WMP, but NOT on the PS3. So, my question becomes this:
  • Do I have to do anything on the PS3 to allow the album art to show up?

I have the same question, mine shows up in WMP no problem but no cover-art on the PS3
post #11 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found this which may be of some use.

Adding Folder Album Art to Music

First things first, lets add some Album Art to our MP3s. The PS3 reads the album cover info from the files/songs themselves vs a folder.jpg like most music players will read from. So to get your album art to show you will actually need to embed the album art into the file.

This can be done a few ways using different software. i prefer to use the free way, Windows Media Player 11 since i use WMP as my main syncing application and have been for the last 4 years (had a WM5 phone, PPC device, use office). The easiest way to manually add album art in media player 11 is to have WMP11 in the Music library, and then sorted by Album and use the large thumbnails view. Then open up IE/ Firefox and use google images to find the album art. Once you find the art via google images, right click the photo, choose Copy and then in WMP11, right click where it says add "Paste Art Here" and choose "Paste Album Art". It will embed the art to all of the songs under this album. Once you are done, it may take a few hours for Media Player to embed the new art into the actual mp3s.

Source - http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2258/...eo_tips_tricks
post #12 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was_There_Then View Post

I found this which may be of some use.

Adding Folder Album Art to Music

First things first, lets add some Album Art to our MP3s. The PS3 reads the album cover info from the files/songs themselves vs a folder.jpg like most music players will read from. So to get your album art to show you will actually need to embed the album art into the file.

This can be done a few ways using different software. i prefer to use the free way, Windows Media Player 11 since i use WMP as my main syncing application and have been for the last 4 years (had a WM5 phone, PPC device, use office). The easiest way to manually add album art in media player 11 is to have WMP11 in the Music library, and then sorted by Album and use the large thumbnails view. Then open up IE/ Firefox and use google images to find the album art. Once you find the art via google images, right click the photo, choose Copy and then in WMP11, right click where it says add "Paste Art Here" and choose "Paste Album Art". It will embed the art to all of the songs under this album. Once you are done, it may take a few hours for Media Player to embed the new art into the actual mp3s.

Source - http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2258/...eo_tips_tricks

This works but mp3tag works 100x better and using multiple different picture sites to get artwork (and to tag correctly)
post #13 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, my issue is NOT getting the album art to show up in WMP 11. It's getting the same art to show up on the PS3. I have searched EVERY possible menu for this option and have found NOTHING. I seem to recall that, the first time I attempted to set up a Windows Media Server on the PS3, I was asked to agree to a licensing agreement for this very topic. At the time, I was not ready to allow album art (months ago). So, I did not accept the terms of the agreement.

But, now, I want to do it and can't find the place to turn it on.

Chet
post #14 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 PM

The info you posted is great! wink.gif, however I am having the same problem still. You see, WMP11 will not give me the option to paste album art in the drop down menu when right-clicking on the album in WMP11 when the album cover is already there. I have synced all my music by album and tagged them with the correct info using WMP11. All the album covers and proper tag info show up in WMP11 just great! The problem is some album art shows up for some and not others in PS3?? & YES PEOPLE FOR THE RECORD I use SATA hard drives from my old desktops using a Dynex SATA to USB hard drive enclosure bought from Best Buy for $20! YES, ALL external HHD's and "thumbdrives" will work with PS3 but they must be formatted using FAT32!!! If your operating system will not give you the option to format the drive FAT32....download a third party FAT32 formatter from the internet. They work a lot faster anyway. But I digress........For example .... I have one collection of 14 albums from one artist whose art shows up all just fine, & 8 albums from another artist whose art doesn't show up at all???. and a another collection of albums where the art only shows up for half the songs??? I have searched these blogs all over & I keep seeing this answer and others like it but what I want to know is WHY? this happens, not how to embed art using third party software because the same thing just happens with those to. I tried. There are always some songs/albums without art afterward. I am still searching for the answer to why this occurs. there is a reason, just hoping someone in the know knows, know what I mean? I thought maybe it would have something to do with the size of the picture file embedded in the song but that doesn't explain why it would only work for half the songs in an album when the whole album was synced with WMP11 & art showed up there just fine??? So that can't be it. Is there any one out there who knows WHY? Thank you kindly!
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page