Is Guitar Hero suitable for my 8 and 10 year olds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went to pick up this game for our new PS3 for Christmas only to discover the teen rating on the box when I arrived at the store. Those familiar with the game, can you share what aspects of the game cause it to garner the Teen rating. I really thought it would rated E. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you're ok with your kids listening to those songs then the game is fine (the teen rating is based on the lyrics). My 9 year old loves it and we have GHI and GHII as well.

post #3 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 AM

Some of the girls are dressed kind of sleezy for 8 & 10 year olds, but it is not too bad and regular prime time tv is worse IMO.

Besides, isn't this really a game for yourself when they go to bed?
post #4 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 40
My 7 year old loves to play. I am sure he does not understand most of the lyrcs, though he has been hearing most of that stuff since birth (radio in the car. What is funny is listening to my daughter (3) singing some of the songs (mommies all right, daddies all right....(Surrender by cheap trick)).

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #5 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 11:20 AM

If you are not a hardcore fundamentalist of some kind, GH should be fine.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Stupidest post ever. I hate the kind of parents that make their kids wear helmets in baseball when playing catch and stuff like that. I am so against that sort of coddling stuff. Im not going to tell you how to raise your kids but just remember the softer you treat them now, the more of a shock the real world will be on them in the future.

Of course cursing and nudity and other R rated content is not good for kids I agree. But Guitar Hero? Dude, its a music simulation game.

Ill give it a week before someone writes:

" Is it ok for kids to make friends??? "

-sidenote: My mother is a elementary school teacher (5th grade) has been for 32 years and she tells me how bad it has got. For example, a few kids in her class wear an ID tag around their neck. Like if they get lost or whatever. I think by 5th grade they can remember their name and address. If not, I dont know what to tell you.

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
post #7 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM

Great post NJ, couldn't have put it better myself.

My seven and eleven year old both play and I don't see anything wrong with it. They enjoy it and its actually opened my older son up to some bands that aren't "cool" to his age group. Now he wants to hear more Aerosmith and Rolling Stones. I can't complain about that.

Of course, I allow my kids to play with their friends whenever they want, provided they do their chores, homework, etc. and I don't do "playdates". I pretty much let them be kids. There is plenty of time to be an adult.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 02:08 PM

I don't have kids but given that the game has a Teen rating I see nothing wrong with the post. This is supposed to be a place someone can go to get information. The poster likely hasn't played or scene the game and has a kid with it on their list.

The game has nothing I would think is objectionable. If you would be OK with your child listening to a local rock station then youw ould be OK with the game. All of the songs in the game would be able to air on the radio as is (no swear words in the songs).
post #9 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad31 View Post

I don't have kids but given that the game has a Teen rating I see nothing wrong with the post.

Agree 100%.
post #10 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 View Post

Of course cursing and nudity and other R rated content is not good for kids I agree. But Guitar Hero? Dude, its a music simulation game.

I think you're being a little harsh. I went to iTunes and downloaded some of the Rock Band songs so I could listen to them in the car, and get to know them. iTunes marks some of these songs as "explicit", which implies I assume that the lyrics may be, well, explicit. So I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if the music is OK for kids that are 7 and 11 years old.

Personally, I can't understand most of the lyrics anyway. That of course will change when (or if) I do the singing part. But until then, I haven't heard -- make that understood -- anything bad. There's no rap music, so I think the use of the "f" word is probably non-existent.

Dan
post #11 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
any of the "explicit" songs are edited in the game.

my 7 and 10 year olds love it.

only aspect i could see maybe troubling some religous people is some references to the devil. but at least you are fighting against him to win back your soul.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #12 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 04:17 PM

Why rag on the guy for just looking out for his kids? I commend the guy for being a responsible parent. At least he isn't in the stores scooping up Kane & Lynch and Manhunt for his kids.

I think you'll be okay with the songs. It's less explicit than listening to the radio (who does that nowadays?) or watching primetime TV.

Some songs have unobvious sexual innuendo and what not, but do you think your kids are going to understand that? Like the song Cherry Pie.

I think you'll be alright. But I'm impressed you asked.
post #13 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Stupidest post ever. I hate the kind of parents that make their kids wear helmets in baseball when playing catch and stuff like that. I am so against that sort of coddling stuff. Im not going to tell you how to raise your kids but just remember the softer you treat them now, the more of a shock the real world will be on them in the future.

There are plenty of ways to speak your mind without being rude.

Avarice
post #14 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Stupidest post ever.

No, I am fairly sure your post was not the stupidest I've ever read. You should not be so hard on yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezdeez View Post

Why rag on the guy for just looking out for his kids? I commend the guy for being a responsible parent.

Yes, with all the dumb****edly uninformed parents in this world, it is refreshing to see one who actually took the time to ask such a question. Many parents have no idea what content is in a particular video game, and asking people who played the game is an easy way to answer the questions he had.
post #15 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not an overprotective parent but I'm also not a gamer and had no clue what was in the game. Thanks for the responses I feel good about the game now. Thanks
post #16 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

My 6-year-old son loves it and he's gotten pretty good too. GH is much more sanitized than other games where your killing someone every 2 minutes. Hmm., we do need to start playing COD4 though. (got it tonight)

Sure, I felt a little guilty, earlier today, when my wife heard him yelling at me across a room, "Dad, play 'Suck My Kiss' on Expert! Some other interesting titles include "Raining Blood". LOL

IMO, it's in good fun and it's been a blast.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #17 of 25 Old 12-07-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:

In addition to what others have pointed out, I love how you criticize someone for even asking if a teen rated music game is appropriate for little children, but go on to say that R rated content is not OK for kids.

Hypocritical much? So, where YOU draw the line (at r rated) is OK, but where someone else might draw the line is stupidest question ever. Real nice.

Personally, I wouldn't care if my little kids saw Teen rated content, but I'm not gonna judge others for having a little bit of a different standard. You know, there are worse things in this world then little kids that where ID tags that are not "ready" for the real world. You know, like hypocritical judgmental jerks.
post #18 of 25 Old 12-07-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezdeez View Post

Why rag on the guy for just looking out for his kids? I commend the guy for being a responsible parent. At least he isn't in the stores scooping up Kane & Lynch and Manhunt for his kids.

I think you'll be okay with the songs. It's less explicit than listening to the radio (who does that nowadays?) or watching primetime TV.

Some songs have unobvious sexual innuendo and what not, but do you think your kids are going to understand that? Like the song Cherry Pie.

I think you'll be alright. But I'm impressed you asked.

Exactly. This guy is acting like a parent should instead of trying to let others do the parenting for him. Thank you Orangeblood for doing your job and ignore ballbusters like NJ.
But yea, looks like you already have your answer. I wouldn't see anything wrong with the game for a kid of that age, JMHO.
post #19 of 25 Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

How can you recommend NOT protecting your children's heads? Ever been hit in the head with a Baseball, or a bat. I coach lil league and a kid was warming up swung the bat and cracked another kid in the head Knocked the kid out..lucky the kid who got hit had a helmet on..it was an accident...but it happens. It's not called coddling it's called being smart. I personally had a mountain bike fall last year. Knocked myself out, broke my elbow..didnt know where I was or how I got there. Out in the woods, by myself. Lucky I had on a helmet, (that was split in two) and was able to walk back to my truck and call my wife. I still to this DAY do not remember walkin back to my truck, the drive to the hospital..or a whole lot of other things that happened that day. Not protecting your children's head an act of coddling??? Come on. Maybe your post can be explained by to many hits to the head as a child.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-07-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Until you have kids of your own, it is hard to understand why parents do the things they do to protect their kids.

Asking whether or not a game is appropriate for a child, however, is not an example of a parent going to extremes. That's just being smart.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #21 of 25 Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ill give it a week before someone writes:

" Is it ok for kids to make friends??? "

-sidenote: My mother is a elementary school teacher (5th grade) has been for 32 years and she tells me how bad it has got. For example, a few kids in her class wear an ID tag around their neck. Like if they get lost or whatever. I think by 5th grade they can remember their name and address. If not, I dont know what to tell you.

Great title for your post. "Stupidest post ever."

The guy's two kids are 8 and 10. Last time I checked, 8 and 10 were not teens.

All he's doing is asking if the material that makes it rated for teens is terrible.

Stupid is ignoring the rating and then being angry when little Bobby and Jimmy start cursing at school because their parents ignored a rating and bought the game anyway.

How is that stupid?

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #22 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 PM

Yes it is my family (my brothers) they are 10 and 9 and they love it. It's rated teen cos the lyrics but they aren't swearing or anything only guitar hero 6,5 and 4 I think have swearing anyway it is suitable for any age
post #23 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
You registered to this site just to answer a question posted five years ago because....?

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #24 of 25 Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lego RockBand has all family friendly songs.
post #25 of 25 Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

You registered to this site just to answer a question posted five years ago because....?

Well, the kids are now 13 and 15, so....

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page