PS3 Streaming with no Tversity or Twonky - REAL DEAL - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How are you outputting it to your PS3? Optical, HDMI? Using a streaming program?

I am going to try encoding the files in Divx to see if I can get my 2nd non-play file to work with my PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm outputting via optical to the HTR from the PS3. Playing files off external USB HDD.

BTW, just downloaded AutoMKV. Going to try and encode a file with it as opposed to Handbrake or Xilisoft, or DVD Shrink, etc.
post #93 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Having optical connection to my Yamaha HTR, and having the sound set to Bitstream, with the PS3 and the HTR together, it almost upconverts stereo to 5.1 for some strange reason... Was this supposed to be the case? Also, even tho I have HDMI video, the WMV conversion seems to almost look more like a magnified iPod/PSP video than a normal TV recording. I'm wondering how to make the PS3 version of a television recording look as good, if not better than the source. Thought that converting a DVR-MS to WMV would have made it go, but I'm guessing that Movie Maker would have to be set higher than standard. The setting I used was WMV HD for X360 (well, that's probably the best setting for PS3 as well, so that's why I chose that format). However, I'm not too sure if that upscales the video or sound that much at all...

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #94 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousBraham View Post

all you tinkerers and tweakers should try FUPPES. It's highly highly customizable, seems to be very network efficient, cpu efficient, but is not for the non technical user.

It works 100% for my PS3, and should work for my 360 also, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting the 360 device info set up.

FUPPES is just a universal upnp/dlna server. It can do transcoding, but I dont use that. All my files are PS3 friendly. I use xvid and autogk to do my encoding, very similar to the original poster. I just like the configurability and efficiency of FUPPES as a upnp server

Thanks for the Fuppes recommendation. I'd been looking around for a nice linux upnp server, and this fits the bill perfectly. I can even set it up so it will transcode files differently for the PS3 than it will for my HR20 and other upnp clients. Nice!

I'll agree with the "not for the non technical user". It was a headache to find all the necessary libraries to get it compiled.

You have checked out the wiki for 360 information, right? http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki...osoft_Xbox_360
post #95 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Post some pictures up for me so that I can help you guys out.
post #96 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Success!

I got the 2.10 update loaded it and BAM! 5.1 via optical with straight VOBs. Screw transcoding I get to keep all the quality now. The only downside is having to load the file locally to get the animated icon and losing chapter skip. Honestly, I never use chapter skip anyways and I can rotate files to keep the interface fresh.

Makes me wonder though if handbraking a few will net the same result.

By my math, with a 500g external drive, i should get 120 odd movies on there. With smart shrinking I may get it up to 140. My experience with shrink has been taking dual layer DVDs down to 4.5gigs has rarely made a difference in PQ. Win-Win.

I am able to help anyone with this process, the server streaming not so much.
post #97 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

An external drive would be a pain for me. But to each their own.

Post up your settings for encoding the vob files plz. It may prove useful to me.
post #98 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

An external drive would be a pain for me. But to each their own.

Post up your settings for encoding the vob files plz. It may prove useful to me.

I have been considering archiving my films for some time now. This will keep them accessible and in a format that can be useful.

I have waited for the day to prove useful to you...My master...

Shrink has the option to create a single VOB, and you can play with the target size. The smaller the size the more PQ you hurt. Shrink has really good encoding down to about 3 gigs. The tricky part is "decrypting" the original disc. I will not get into that here. If and once Shrink reads the disc you re-build a new image or VOB. You can select which audio track and subtitles to keep and chop off the credits if you want to get a smaller file.

From Shrink:
Edit>Preferences>Preferences Tab
Choose target size. If you have already shrunk the disc it is probably already 4.7DVD-5.
I have chosen to not hide audio and subpicture streams of insignificant size and not to run analysis in low priority.

Output Files Tab
Checks by Remove macrovision, P-UOPs, and layer breaks.
Defaults have Splitting VOB into 1GB chunks checked, FAT32 limitations. Uncheck this for single VOB output.

Stream Selection Tab
Pick your native tongue.
Uncheck disable all subpicture except menus and forced streams.

File I/O Tab
I have mine defaulted.
Checks by Enable overlapped I/O, Check RPC2 drive region, Nero Burning.

File>Open Disc, Open Disc Image (ISO)
Shrink will run a quick pass analyzing and go into backup mode.

Re-author will let you pick which files to use in the DVD browser. Under the compression settings you can play with the amount of compression and select which audio tracks.

Hit backup.
Select backup target, i use hard disk folder. Choose a location as well. You do not need to create VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS subfolders.

Region Tab
Region Free

Quality Settings Tab
If you file goes over target size you can choose to perform deep analysis, this is preferred. It does take longer, this equates to 2 pass encoding. With his option checked you have some enhancements you can choose. I never use them, never took the time.

Options Tab
Set priority and shutdown and end sound.

Burn Settings
Label the disc, set speed. Works with Nero or DVDDecrypter(I think).

Hit ok, Shrink will go into encoding or depp analysis and produce a file or ISO.

The longest I have ever seen it take is about 30 minutes.
post #99 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I knew that it was possible for DVDshrink to re-author a dvd into a single vob file and edit the sound that way.

So you are simply taking this reauthored .vob file and playing it off of a USB hard drive?
post #100 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

When I get another minute I will post a pic of the output from the PS3. Kbps, file type, etc.
post #101 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I still may handbrake a few chapters and see if I get surround.
post #102 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Still cannot even stream the file from Tversity, WMP11, or FreeNAS by making it a single VOB.
post #103 of 827 Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Still cannot even stream the file from Tversity, WMP11, or FreeNAS by making it a single VOB.

Turd, these are the pics I posted earlier on this Thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=54

When you Add File in Tversity, what do you check in the Transcode settings?

It happened to me that some files wouldnt play if I applied "Always"

just a thought

as per WMP, I have never managed to stream a VOB file from it

"Ah si seulement la France n'etait pas peuplee de tous ces francais, quel beau pays ce serait!"
post #104 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I have been considering archiving my films for some time now. This will keep them accessible and in a format that can be useful.

I have waited for the day to prove useful to you...My master...

Shrink has the option to create a single VOB, and you can play with the target size. The smaller the size the more PQ you hurt. Shrink has really good encoding down to about 3 gigs. The tricky part is "decrypting" the original disc. I will not get into that here. If and once Shrink reads the disc you re-build a new image or VOB. You can select which audio track and subtitles to keep and chop off the credits if you want to get a smaller file.

From Shrink:
Edit>Preferences>Preferences Tab
Choose target size. If you have already shrunk the disc it is probably already 4.7DVD-5.
I have chosen to not hide audio and subpicture streams of insignificant size and not to run analysis in low priority.

Output Files Tab
Checks by Remove macrovision, P-UOPs, and layer breaks.
Defaults have Splitting VOB into 1GB chunks checked, FAT32 limitations. Uncheck this for single VOB output.

Stream Selection Tab
Pick your native tongue.
Uncheck disable all subpicture except menus and forced streams.

File I/O Tab
I have mine defaulted.
Checks by Enable overlapped I/O, Check RPC2 drive region, Nero Burning.

File>Open Disc, Open Disc Image (ISO)
Shrink will run a quick pass analyzing and go into backup mode.

Re-author will let you pick which files to use in the DVD browser. Under the compression settings you can play with the amount of compression and select which audio tracks.

Hit backup.
Select backup target, i use hard disk folder. Choose a location as well. You do not need to create VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS subfolders.

Region Tab
Region Free

Quality Settings Tab
If you file goes over target size you can choose to perform deep analysis, this is preferred. It does take longer, this equates to 2 pass encoding. With his option checked you have some enhancements you can choose. I never use them, never took the time.

Options Tab
Set priority and shutdown and end sound.

Burn Settings
Label the disc, set speed. Works with Nero or DVDDecrypter(I think).

Hit ok, Shrink will go into encoding or depp analysis and produce a file or ISO.

The longest I have ever seen it take is about 30 minutes.

Okay, these are the same settings I've been using. But, I'm not getting any sound. When I hit Select, it doesn't even show a sound track being there. Is it because the native sound on the DVD is AC3?

On a side note, I got some very encouraging results last night. I was flipping through some video clips that a friend of mine gave me a while back and one of them was encoded in DD5.1. PS3 reported it as Dolby Digital and the HTR showed all 6 channels being active with Dolby Digital active. I don't know how it was encoded, but it's encouraging to see that it's possible.

And by the way, Nolive when I view your post, I don't see any pictures.
post #105 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I knew that it was possible for DVDshrink to re-author a dvd into a single vob file and edit the sound that way.

So you are simply taking this reauthored .vob file and playing it off of a USB hard drive?

Yes.
post #106 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, I have a few more files to test when I get home. The first I created from an ISO image using Handbrake. MP4, XVid, 6 channel discreet setting. For the second, I used DVD Shrink to make one big VOB of the movie with the 5.1 audio track (which, when played off the USB HDD yielded video, but no audio.) I then took that VOB into Super and converted to MP4 with the stream video and stream audio settings checked. We'll see how it goes. I'll report whether either of them works or not.
post #107 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolive View Post

I have converted somehow 20 movies with the different methods I have mentionned above.

All of them (transcode streaming via my laptop or direct playback from PS3/external HDD) played entirely.

I had tried other softwares or enconding methods but then either the playback will not even start or the movie had frozen at some point

Go to you menu in the PS3 player click the "Go to" button and start from 00:00:00 This works for me. My *.vob files in the *.mpg containers do not play unless I do this. You cannot Fast Forward or the movie will shut down. So don't try it.
post #108 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interesting. I am using Tversity now with streaming. I successfully completed a .mkv file conversion that kept the original picture quality as well as dolby digital.

Working with one more test and I will post my findings.
post #109 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Okay the mkv file that is now a vob can be streamed via tversity with NO transcoding. I tried to use FreeNAS to stream the VOB file but it shows up as unsupported data. Maybe it is because codecs need to be installed. Not 100% sure.

But this is a confirmation that vob files will stream via Tversity with NO transcoding. 5.1 audio does pass through. Files over 8.7gb play perfectly. I am going to be reflecting my first post on my findings.

You can encode .mkv files into a single vob by using the program mkv2vob which can be found on doom9.org
post #110 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Why is none of this working for me??? I've tried Handbrake, Super, DVD Shrink. Everything, and I can't it to pass 5.1. I'm not streaming, I'm playing directly off a USB Hard drive. Even extracting the movie with the 5.1 soundtrack from DVD Shrink yields video, but no audio. I've gotta be overlooking something really simple.
post #111 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Show me the settings you are using for DVDshrink.
post #112 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am dedicating a website to settings up Tversity and the proper ripping methods to get everything to play to the PS3.

http://s209658975.onlinehome.us <-----my personal website with ZERO ads.
post #113 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmystikcfl View Post

Why is none of this working for me??? I've tried Handbrake, Super, DVD Shrink. Everything, and I can't it to pass 5.1. I'm not streaming, I'm playing directly off a USB Hard drive. Even extracting the movie with the 5.1 soundtrack from DVD Shrink yields video, but no audio. I've gotta be overlooking something really simple.

I got no 5.1 until I updated to 2.10.
post #114 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, here's my DVD Shrink settings.

Main Movie track and DD 5.1 English Track.

I have my target DVD size set to 4000MB (a little less than 4 gigs to maintain compatibility with FAT32.)

Under the Output Files tab I have Remove Macrovision Protection, Remove P-UOPs, and Remove layer break checked. Split VOB files is unchecked.

Under File I/O I only have Check RPC2 drive region code and Enable burning with Nero checked.

When I hit backup, I have it output to a folder on the hard drive. Region free is checked. The Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation: Smooth is enabled.

Now, when I'm copying the file to the external drive, I'm only copying the one large VOB file. None of the smaller files are going with it.

I hope this helps. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious. I'm pretty much a complete noob at this. Thanks for all the help and bearing with all the frustration.
LL
post #115 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Tell me what you think of this. I just got a file to play back DD 5.1 (at least according to the PS3 and my HTR.) I used the VOB I created in DVD shrink using the settings outlined in my previous post. I then took that VOB into Super and encoded it using the following settings.

Output container Mpg (MpegII). Video Codec MPEG-II. Audio Codec AC3.

Under the video section I selected No Change

Under the audio tab I selected 48000 as my Sampling Frequency, 6 ch, 448kbps Bitrate, AudioStream Track 1.

Seemed to work fine this time around, but I'd swear I've tried those same settings without the same results. Can anybody else reproduce this? Or at least give me one reason why it should or shouldn't work? Thanks.
post #116 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks right to me. I am not sure of the Super part. You could probably turn off the AEC "smooth" option. If Shrink gets into 70% or lower(the slider in your pic) you may see some blocking. It is rare IMHO.
post #117 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Got a question, why would the PS3 not see the length of the file?
On playback I see it as 0:00 with the green progress bar getting full at 3-5 minutes but the film continuing to play until the end and all FF/RW working correctly. The "time played" counter counts up until the end just fine.
post #118 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I am dedicating a website to settings up Tversity and the proper ripping methods to get everything to play to the PS3.

http://s209658975.onlinehome.us <-----my personal website with ZERO ads.

Hey Turd,

Thanks for setting up that site. Nice work.

I was wondering why mpeg4 (h.264) wasn't added to your list. I'm currently ripping all of my files to h.264 with 5.1 AAC using handbrake.....if only i had a receiver with hdmi (sigh).

Thanks,
skro
post #119 of 827 Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmystikcfl View Post

Okay, here's my DVD Shrink settings.

Main Movie track and DD 5.1 English Track.

I have my target DVD size set to 4000MB (a little less than 4 gigs to maintain compatibility with FAT32.)

Under the Output Files tab I have Remove Macrovision Protection, Remove P-UOPs, and Remove layer break checked. Split VOB files is unchecked.

Under File I/O I only have Check RPC2 drive region code and Enable burning with Nero checked.

When I hit backup, I have it output to a folder on the hard drive. Region free is checked. The Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation: Smooth is enabled.

Now, when I'm copying the file to the external drive, I'm only copying the one large VOB file. None of the smaller files are going with it.

I hope this helps. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious. I'm pretty much a complete noob at this. Thanks for all the help and bearing with all the frustration.

Where are you guys getting your copy of Shrink from?

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
post #120 of 827 Old 01-16-2008, 12:14 AM
awx
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikasauce View Post

Where are you guys getting your copy of Shrink from?

The 3rd link from my Google search is afterdawn. That is a decently dependable site for PC A/V software.

PSN: YstadYakuza
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page