PS3 Streaming with no Tversity or Twonky - REAL DEAL - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 827 Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Officer Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 30 min from Houston
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe this will work, located it reading through doom9's forum.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GOTSent

Officer Steve
Officer Steve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 827 Old 01-23-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 968
I ripped a 3gig file last night and will copy it over tonight. Working for a living is teh suck.
darthrsg is offline  
post #183 of 827 Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
squidboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Steve View Post

Anyone have any experience in using AutoGK? I have used almost all the programs written about in this thread except autogk. This may be what i'm looking for the convert my vobs to avi? Handbrake is sort of hit and miss. Just wondering.

I've used it a bunch over the past few years.

I usually just set quality to 75%, rather than going for a specific size. That seems to work well for me, and the files stream to the PS3 without issue.
squidboy is offline  
post #184 of 827 Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Confirmed a good rip from an 8gb VOB file to a 2.46gb AVI using Xvid. AutoGK was used as the encoder. Passes through DD just fine. But I had to use Tversity to get it to work. WMP11 would not play it. Testing with FreeNAS in a few minutes.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #185 of 827 Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My AVI w/ Xvid which is 2.48gb in size, plays perfectly off of FreeNAS. Attempting another codec as well as other movies to convert to AVI. This just may be a fluke.

FreeNAS does not do transcoding an any way. It is simply just a host of the file.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #186 of 827 Old 01-23-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://s209658975.onlinehome.us/

Well I debunked the 2gb file size limit of a Divx file. Confirmed via Gspot.



I also proved that you can play this file via FreeNAS to the PS3. So no transcoding, Twonky, Tversity, or WMP11 involved. Boy what a productive day.

----------------------

Currently working on encoding the same movie with the h.264 codec to keep DD surround sound.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #187 of 827 Old 01-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
squidboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

http://s209658975.onlinehome.us/

Well I debunked the 2gb file size limit of a Divx file. Confirmed via Gspot.



I also proved that you can play this file via FreeNAS to the PS3. So no transcoding, Twonky, Tversity, or WMP11 involved. Boy what a productive day.

----------------------

Currently working on encoding the same movie with the h.264 codec to keep DD surround sound.

Sorry if I'm a little confused, but what exactly is your goal here? Are you trying to figure out how to store the smallest files that play? Are you testing to figure out which combinations of codecs work together on the PS3?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just trying to figure out what the heck you are trying to do.
squidboy is offline  
post #188 of 827 Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidboy View Post

Sorry if I'm a little confused, but what exactly is your goal here? Are you trying to figure out how to store the smallest files that play? Are you testing to figure out which combinations of codecs work together on the PS3?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just trying to figure out what the heck you are trying to do.

It is perfectly okay. My original goal was to find a way to stream videos to the PS3 without the need of WMP11, Tversity, or Twonkymedia. That is why I am detailing my findings. It is still a big mystery mostly as most ppl have dumped what I am attempting to solve.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #189 of 827 Old 01-24-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

Confirmed a good rip from an 8gb VOB file to a 2.46gb AVI using Xvid. AutoGK was used as the encoder. Passes through DD just fine. But I had to use Tversity to get it to work. WMP11 would not play it. Testing with FreeNAS in a few minutes.

Were the conversion times 1 to 1, as in, taking as long to convert as it does to watch the movie? My AutoGK was like that. 2 passes with the same runtime as the film.
darthrsg is offline  
post #190 of 827 Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
squidboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

It is perfectly okay. My original goal was to find a way to stream videos to the PS3 without the need of WMP11, Tversity, or Twonkymedia. That is why I am detailing my findings. It is still a big mystery mostly as most ppl have dumped what I am attempting to solve.

So you are trying to stream videos to the PS3 without a UPnP server? Is that even possible?
squidboy is offline  
post #191 of 827 Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No my attempts are as follows:

*Find a way to transform files to play on the PS3 w/ the need of transcoding.
*Play 5.1 audio from the files --- COMPLETED
*Utilize my NAS server instead of my main PC to deliver content

This frees up my main PC to do encoding instead of having to serve content to my PS3. I don't like having a sluggish PC while trying to do work. Plus my AMD64 2800+ CPU cannot handle the processing load required to stream some media. An upgrade would cost me a few hundred dollars which I am not willing to fork out. Thus why I am attempting to serve my media via FreeNAS. It is DNLA compliant as well as UPnP compatible. Holds all my files and serves them to my other PC's.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #192 of 827 Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Officer Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 30 min from Houston
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

Confirmed a good rip from an 8gb VOB file to a 2.46gb AVI using Xvid. AutoGK was used as the encoder. Passes through DD just fine. But I had to use Tversity to get it to work. WMP11 would not play it. Testing with FreeNAS in a few minutes.

Let me get this straight Mr. Turd.

1. Ripped dvd to harddrive, into one vob file (correct?)
2. Then opened autogk and "converted" the vob to avi?
3. Streamed avi file to ps3?

More questions....
1. Do you uncheck all the different audio options in shrink? If you used that?
2. You say you ripped the vob file to avi using "xvid codec". I know what the codec is, but i'm a little confused. Did you select the xvid codec in autogk or does it select it for you?

I'm not trying to stream, but what your doing will help me play them through my external hd. When i ripped "the kingdom" into one vob file and tried to play it on my external, it played about 3/4's the way through, then froze. Also some parts of the movie, the audio would suddenly turn into the directors comments or actually i believe it was jamie foxx talking about what they did here or there, etc. Thats why I ask about what you checked or unchecked on the audio selections/streams.

I cannot get handbrake to work correctly again, plus it takes like 3 hrs. on my pc, that's too long.

Officer Steve
Officer Steve is offline  
post #193 of 827 Old 01-24-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Handbrake has been useless for me. I will post some in depth stuff with AutoGK then since there is some inquiry in it.

Here is the steps I have completed:

-Rip to single VOB and pass through AC3 content.
-Use AutoGK to convert to Xvid. This tool either displays with Xvid or Divx only I believe. I set the file size I want to rip to and let it do its thing. The finished file will be compatible with the PS3, unless you hit a magical filesize that I haven't found yet.

-----------------------

As for DVDshrink, I uncheck everything except 5.1 audio in English and English subs. Then do a Backup!

This works like a charm every time for me.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #194 of 827 Old 01-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Officer Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 30 min from Houston
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

Handbrake has been useless for me. I will post some in depth stuff with AutoGK then since there is some inquiry in it.

Here is the steps I have completed:

-Rip to single VOB and pass through AC3 content.
-Use AutoGK to convert to Xvid. This tool either displays with Xvid or Divx only I believe. I set the file size I want to rip to and let it do its thing. The finished file will be compatible with the PS3, unless you hit a magical filesize that I haven't found yet.

-----------------------

As for DVDshrink, I uncheck everything except 5.1 audio in English and English subs. Then do a Backup!

This works like a charm every time for me.

1. What does "pass through AC3 content" mean? Something to do w/ audio?
2. In autoGK, what file size to do you select, or what is your preference?
3. In DVDShrink, do you just rip the main movie or do you leave in the title page, etc. I've been just ripping the main movie, seems like i tried to rip everything and it didnt work for some reason....can't remember.
4. I assume you leave the "forced subs", right?

Officer Steve
Officer Steve is offline  
post #195 of 827 Old 01-24-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Yes.
2. You can select Auto or specify 2gb in filesize. It is all your choice, but the larger the file the better the quality will be.
3. I do not re-author a movie. I simply select the 5.1 audio, English subs, and then Backup!
4. Yes
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #196 of 827 Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Steve View Post

1. What does "pass through AC3 content" mean? Something to do w/ audio?
2. In autoGK, what file size to do you select, or what is your preference?
3. In DVDShrink, do you just rip the main movie or do you leave in the title page, etc. I've been just ripping the main movie, seems like i tried to rip everything and it didnt work for some reason....can't remember.
4. I assume you leave the "forced subs", right?


Hi Officer,

I didn't realize this for a while either, but AC3 is another name for Dolby Digital.
skro is offline  
post #197 of 827 Old 01-25-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Guys, don't mean to divert this thread with a question that's a step back for you. But there are already sooo many thread about how do I make this work with PS3 or how do I make that work with PS3, that I wanted to just stay here where I know you guys will have the answer for me and not crowd the boards any further.

I've been playing around with video; I was successful at ripping a single VOB and getting it to stream (no transcoding) by changing the file to an MPG. It stutters a bit, but I think that's just based on a wireless connection and I plan to go wired in the future anyway.

Now I've heard of plenty of people hooking up external USB drives and playing files off of those, but I never paid it much attention because I wasn't interested in going that way. But for sh*ts and giggles, last night I wanted to see if I could get a VOB to play natively, by hooking up a 40GB Passport that I use for work. Well, probably needless to say...but to my surprise...PS3 didn't recognize it. What did I miss along the way?

Also, I just read a thread about upgrading the HD (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=983769) and I'm a little confused about the response; I guess this guy is indicating that even for files that are going to be stored right on the PS3s hard drive, you need to install transcoding? I mean is that what this whole thread is about? I thought it was just transcoding to stream? (Or in other words, finding a way not to) Does the PS3 not support any video codecs natively, that is it could play right off its hard drive? Now that I think of it...dumb question number whatever...how do you move files to the PS3 hd? Even though its on the network, there's no way to map or browse it, right? Is it only by memory stick or is that why you would need to install Linux?

I shouldn't even be wandering down this road, but I was really surprised the PS3 didn't see the Passport. I mean, I read about guys running these 1T My Book's and stuff

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #198 of 827 Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Now I've heard of plenty of people hooking up external USB drives and playing files off of those, but I never paid it much attention because I wasn't interested in going that way. But for sh*ts and giggles, last night I wanted to see if I could get a VOB to play natively, by hooking up a 40GB Passport that I use for work. Well, probably needless to say...but to my surprise...PS3 didn't recognize it. What did I miss along the way?

Ah...needs to be formatted FAT32, right? Duh

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #199 of 827 Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
squidboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Now I've heard of plenty of people hooking up external USB drives and playing files off of those, but I never paid it much attention because I wasn't interested in going that way. But for sh*ts and giggles, last night I wanted to see if I could get a VOB to play natively, by hooking up a 40GB Passport that I use for work. Well, probably needless to say...but to my surprise...PS3 didn't recognize it. What did I miss along the way?

Your PS3 didn't recognize the hard drive, or the VOB? I don't think the PS3 knows about VOB files, so you'll need to rename to MPG, even to play it directly on the PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Also, I just read a thread about upgrading the HD (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=983769) and I'm a little confused about the response; I guess this guy is indicating that even for files that are going to be stored right on the PS3s hard drive, you need to install transcoding? I mean is that what this whole thread is about? I thought it was just transcoding to stream? (Or in other words, finding a way not to) Does the PS3 not support any video codecs natively, that is it could play right off its hard drive?

You can't transcode from the local hard drive or from an external USB drive. The PS3 supports the formats listed on this page:

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...filetypes.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Now that I think of it...dumb question number whatever...how do you move files to the PS3 hd? Even though its on the network, there's no way to map or browse it, right? Is it only by memory stick or is that why you would need to install Linux?

If you have a UPnP server set up, you can hit on the file and copy it to your PS3 hard drive.

You can also set up a web server on your computer, then browse to that using the PS3 and download directly.
squidboy is offline  
post #200 of 827 Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Officer Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 30 min from Houston
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=CDLehner;12927559]
Quote:
But for shits and giggles, last night I wanted to see if I could get a VOB to play natively, by hooking up a 40GB Passport that I use for work. Well, probably needless to say...but to my surprise...PS3 didn't recognize it. What did I miss along the way?

Well you got that one, FAT32, but my new passport was already formatted correctly, i thought they all came formatted to FAT32? Don't know.
Quote:
Also, I just read a thread about upgrading the HD (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=983769) and I'm a little confused about the response; I guess this guy is indicating that even for files that are going to be stored right on the PS3s hard drive, you need to install transcoding? I mean is that what this whole thread is about? I thought it was just transcoding to stream? (Or in other words, finding a way not to) Does the PS3 not support any video codecs natively, that is it could play right off its hard drive? Now that I think of it...dumb question number whatever...how do you move files to the PS3 hd? Even though its on the network, there's no way to map or browse it, right? Is it only by memory stick or is that why you would need to install Linux?

Don't know that one, beyond my skills.

Quote:
I shouldn't even be wandering down this road, but I was really surprised the PS3 didn't see the Passport. I mean, I read about guys running these 1T My Book's and stuff

Mine play(ed) Vob file fine sometimes, then would freeze other times. Take the time to read this entire thread and learn how to convert your vobs to a ps3 compatible format. Mr. T. Ferguson has nailed it down for us.

Officer Steve
Officer Steve is offline  
post #201 of 827 Old 01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Officer Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 30 min from Houston
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok,

Following Mr. Ferguson's advice, I did the following...

1. Ripped dvd into one vob using shrink and passed thru ac3 content.
2. Converted Vob using AutoGK and virtual dub (this one opened on its own).
3. Drag/drop converted divx file to x-hard drive.
4. Plug x-hard drive into ps3.
5. Plays fine, no problems, no hiccups, nothing....great!

I've converted two of my movies using this method. This is the most reliable and stable method thus far.

Next: If i'm understanding Mr. Ferguson correctly he's not compressing his vobs in Dvdshrink at all. Just "backing them up". So next try will be w/ no compression then AutoGk.

You know someone w/ some skills, could combine shrink,autoGk, etc. into a one, two or three button click single program! Not that it's much more now.

Officer Steve
Officer Steve is offline  
post #202 of 827 Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
squidboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Steve View Post

Ok,

Following Mr. Ferguson's advice, I did the following...

1. Ripped dvd into one vob using shrink and passed thru ac3 content.
2. Converted Vob using AutoGK and virtual dub (this one opened on its own).
3. Drag/drop converted divx file to x-hard drive.
4. Plug x-hard drive into ps3.
5. Plays fine, no problems, no hiccups, nothing....great!

I've converted two of my movies using this method. This is the most reliable and stable method thus far.

Next: If i'm understanding Mr. Ferguson correctly he's not compressing his vobs in Dvdshrink at all. Just "backing them up". So next try will be w/ no compression then AutoGk.

You know someone w/ some skills, could combine shrink,autoGk, etc. into a one, two or three button click single program! Not that it's much more now.

Just know that by doing it this way, you are losing video quality. For best quality, just keep the VOB and either rename or remux into MPG. This will have the same audio/video as playing the DVD itself.

Remuxing to MPG doesn't change the quality, but fixes some occasional issues (like the PS3 not knowing how long the movie is).
squidboy is offline  
post #203 of 827 Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidboy View Post

Just know that by doing it this way, you are losing video quality. For best quality, just keep the VOB and either rename or remux into MPG. This will have the same audio/video as playing the DVD itself.

Remuxing to MPG doesn't change the quality, but fixes some occasional issues (like the PS3 not knowing how long the movie is).

You are correct. If you have an 8gb VOB file, your wireless will not be able to handle it unless it is played off of a hard drive. I only converted using AutoGK to do some testing. If you do not have an HD TV then it doesn't matter.

I plan on updating my first post in this thread to better organize things. But the best benefit I can give you guys is from my site.

----------------------------------------------

For those of you who want to avoid transcoding things, work with me. I am attempting to find a file format that maintains excellent video quality, but is not streamed by using WMP11, Tversity, Twonkyvision, Fuppes, or things like that. This is where I need help.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #204 of 827 Old 01-25-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Updated my first post with the tools I am utilizing currently.

Posted my intentions of what I still have to accomplish and where I need help.

My site contains a lot of good info on helping you set up your streaming software if you do not want to go further with this.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #205 of 827 Old 01-25-2008, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Now I've heard of plenty of people hooking up external USB drives and playing files off of those, but I never paid it much attention because I wasn't interested in going that way. But for sh*ts and giggles, last night I wanted to see if I could get a VOB to play natively, by hooking up a 40GB Passport that I use for work. Well, probably needless to say...but to my surprise...PS3 didn't recognize it. What did I miss along the way?

Also, I just read a thread about upgrading the HD (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=983769) and I'm a little confused about the response; I guess this guy is indicating that even for files that are going to be stored right on the PS3s hard drive, you need to install transcoding? I mean is that what this whole thread is about? I thought it was just transcoding to stream? (Or in other words, finding a way not to) Does the PS3 not support any video codecs natively, that is it could play right off its hard drive? Now that I think of it...dumb question number whatever...how do you move files to the PS3 hd? Even though its on the network, there's no way to map or browse it, right? Is it only by memory stick or is that why you would need to install Linux?

I shouldn't even be wandering down this road, but I was really surprised the PS3 didn't see the Passport. I mean, I read about guys running these 1T My Book's and stuff

CD

I am finding VOB files to be very picky. Like you I cannot get them to play off of my FreeNAS server. But Twonky plays them fine with no transcoding. How can I tell? My CPU usage is 2% during the entire streaming. And that is from utilizing the network to send the video. I am at a loss for words with this, but I am looking into why.

Transcoding is a way of streaming a file. Transcoding also means converting the file to be complaint with the PS3's media capabilities. Thus why you cannot play some files on the PS3 without transcoding software. ie. MKV files.

I can vouch 100% that the PS3 will play Divx and Xvid AVI files with no issues. I have tested an Xvid file @ 2.5gb in file size. I need help finding codecs and file types that will play off the PS3 without using transcoding software.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #206 of 827 Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi everyone,

I know that this question has been asked a billion times elsewhere, but I would like to get feedback from everyone contributing to this thread. I agree with most of what everyone here is saying, so.... here goes.

Turd, and everyone else.... what are your thought on x264 vs. xvid. I think they have similar roots, but in my experience a 4GB h.264 file looks cleaner than an xvid file.

The xvid trancoded quicker, and has the benefit of a smaller file size, but aside from those two benefits, would anyone choose xvid over h.264? If so, why? Also, please note that although I have compared the same movie with x264 at 4 gigs, vs. a 2 gig version with xvid I have not compared the two codecs with the same total file size. So... this is not a discussion of the better transcoder (for a given file size), but given the 2 gb vs. 4 gb limit for certain files, would anyone choose a 2 gb xvid over a 4 gb h.264 version?

Thanks much!

skro
skro is offline  
post #207 of 827 Old 01-26-2008, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
skro,

What program are you going to use to get a VOB file into a x264 codec? I haven't had much luck using Super or Handbrake. So I am lost on this part.

Xvid does screw the quality over bigtime. So trying something else may work.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #208 of 827 Old 01-26-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

skro,

What program are you going to use to get a VOB file into a x264 codec? I haven't had much luck using Super or Handbrake. So I am lost on this part.

Xvid does screw the quality over bigtime. So trying something else may work.

Hmmm. I've been messing around with a few few programs, but I haven't had any problems with handbrake creating an h.264 with 5.1 aac.

I have also used this guide http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ide_page1.html to convert to h.264 with 5.1 aac (and I even messed around with making h.264 with AC3, but you can't fastforward more than 1.5x speed).

Maybe the handbrake file is working for me because I'm putting everything directly on the ps3 hdd...who knows.

skro
skro is offline  
post #209 of 827 Old 01-26-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I may have found a way to use Super correctly. I am going for an AVI file with the h.264 w/ AC3 passthrough. I will let you all know of my results.
Turd Furguson is offline  
post #210 of 827 Old 01-26-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Turd Furguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a request for a few screenshots of the XMB on how Tversity and WMP11 display the files. So I will try and get some photos up.
Turd Furguson is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off