Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS

Current as of 2.2.09

Programs to use to get your videos to play on the PS3
The following programs are what I use:
*DVDshrink - utilized to rip movies into single vobs. Passes through AC content and English Subs.
*MKV2VOB - converts mkv files into vob files. Passes through AC3 content to keep your 5.1 audio.
*AutoGK - converts my vobs to avi format w/ xvid codec. Plays on the PS3 without the need of transcoding.
*Vob2mpg - combines vob files into a single large VOB.
*AutoMKV - does a lot of file conversions also. Creates x.264 MP4 files.

You can rename the VOB files to a MPG and they will play that way. Another alternative is just below.

Another proven conversion by using MPG files

-------------------------------

I have currently tested streaming with Tversity, Twonkyvision, FUPPES, Orb, Nullsoft Medialink, EyeConnect, and WMP11. I have detailed guides on how to set up Tversity, Twonkymedia, PS3 Media Server, Medialink, EyeConnect, WMP11, and Fuppes on my website. My site also contains tutorials on how to convert your videos utilizing DVDshrink and MKV2vob. More guides will be coming.

http://blog.hillbillyhardware.net

I advise you to use this site. I update it quite frequently and am working on ironing out some grammatical errors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 827 Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 PM

Keep us posted on the 2gb limit. I don't recall if that was a limitation of the PS3 or DLNA.

In regards to having to restart your server that seems a little odd. Even odder is with Tversity in addition to refreshing the library (an action taken within tversity) I actually had to restart my PS3 to get it to read new changes to the library.

For something like FreeNAS I would expect that you should be able to send a hup to the process instead of rebooting your machine. If thats what you meant by restarting the server (service) it just becomes then I suppose they could have a function implemented that would "refresh" the content. Hopefully they implement it so that it doesn't re-read your whole library each time but will look for incremental changes.
post #3 of 827 Old 01-05-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I would also like to note that you can stream your pictures and MP3's using Freenas also.
post #4 of 827 Old 01-05-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

How long does it take to rip/encode the file with those quality settings?

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #5 of 827 Old 01-05-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Depends on your PC. I encoded those in roughly 5 hours.
post #6 of 827 Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

all you tinkerers and tweakers should try FUPPES. It's highly highly customizable, seems to be very network efficient, cpu efficient, but is not for the non technical user.

It works 100% for my PS3, and should work for my 360 also, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting the 360 device info set up.

FUPPES is just a universal upnp/dlna server. It can do transcoding, but I dont use that. All my files are PS3 friendly. I use xvid and autogk to do my encoding, very similar to the original poster. I just like the configurability and efficiency of FUPPES as a upnp server
post #7 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 04:33 AM

just a head-up if I may about the file size limitation.

I have managed to playback videos ABOVE 4Gb size in the different conditions:

1) Vob file (mpeg2)streamed from my laptop to the PS3

2) Divx or Xvid(avi ) streamed from my laptop to the PS3

3)AVC(mp4) streamed from my laptop to the PS3

all streamed via Tversity

same OK playback (no freeze)for the 3 types of files when played DIRECTLY from the PS3 (although some Divx didnt play but we know it is more due the specific codec not being supported....yet)

When I tried to play video files above 4Gb from my external USB HDD (FAT32 formatted) it was impossibvle but it is due to the FAT32 spec itself.

So if size limitation there is today, AFAIK it doesnt come from the PS3

good luck with your own method

"Ah si seulement la France n'etait pas peuplee de tous ces francais, quel beau pays ce serait!"
post #8 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sure Tversity can play a lot of files pending your host PC has the horsepower to decode everything. My PC on the otherhand is old. Built on hardware from 2003. It has extreme difficulty in transcoding HD files.

I am trying to find an alternate solution to this streaming that will not involve transcoding. But some ppl prefer to use Tversity, while others hate it.

nolive:

What type of TV do you have? What is the file size, bitrate, and audio source encoded to? The biggest problem with Tversity is that it only produces 2.0 sound. I believe that is where they recommend you to encode your files to AVC format to pass through the original audio to maintain it.
post #9 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 AM

turd: my point was about size limitation, not using Tversity as a media streamer.

I first want to avoid bringing my laptop back home to watch my movies.

My other problem in the first place is that I used to live in Europe(and bought loads of PAL Dvds out there) that I can NOT play on my NTSC PS3 as I am living in Japan now

so my approach was either to transcode via my laptop (and as I said Tversity does a great job at that) or convert my movies to a certain format (lossless or not) and play them form an external HDD.

That is the latter I'm leaning towards today

As I said in my previous post, I have used 3 different approachs so far:

1) rip my DvDs in single Vob file (and then maintain 5.1 sound)but the size is too big

2) using PS3 Video9 to convert them in mp4 playable format (AVC 720p usually) but then I loose the 5.1

3) same than 1 but then create a compressed video file of roughly 1.5Gb (mp4 format created with Handbrake, Bitrate of 1.5Mbs) while maintaining the 5.1 sound(there is an option in audio settings called 6channels discrete to achieve that)

this option3 has worked fine on a couple of attempts I have made in the last few days.

It looks much better than equivalent Divx conversion and it maintains the surround audio so I'm happy with that at the moment....

hope that clarifies and helps

olivier

"Ah si seulement la France n'etait pas peuplee de tous ces francais, quel beau pays ce serait!"
post #10 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interesting. I am still feeling my way through the conversions to where the PS3 can play the files. I am going to work with AutoGK here in a bit, then try some AVC conversions to 720p since that is the max my TV can do.

Thanks for getting back to me.
post #11 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolive View Post

1) Vob file (mpeg2)streamed from my laptop to the PS3

3)AVC(mp4) streamed from my laptop to the PS3

same OK playback (no freeze)for the 3 types of files when played DIRECTLY from the PS3 (although some Divx didnt play but we know it is more due the specific codec not being supported....yet)

When I tried to play video files above 4Gb from my external USB HDD (FAT32 formatted) it was impossibvle but it is due to the FAT32 spec itself.

good luck with your own method

Very nice information. Thank you!
post #12 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousBraham View Post

all you tinkerers and tweakers should try FUPPES. It's highly highly customizable, seems to be very network efficient, cpu efficient, but is not for the non technical user.

It works 100% for my PS3, and should work for my 360 also, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting the 360 device info set up.

FUPPES is just a universal upnp/dlna server. It can do transcoding, but I dont use that. All my files are PS3 friendly. I use xvid and autogk to do my encoding, very similar to the original poster. I just like the configurability and efficiency of FUPPES as a upnp server

Spent 15 minutes with it last night. Got pictures working, but the PS3 had video and music files as unknown formats.

Overall not a bad tool, the minimal GUI interface forces me to have a bit better understanding of the process, which is probably a good thing. I'll probably play around with it a bit more today, hopefully the man pages are good.
post #13 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Any thoughts on handbrake settings to keep audio and get files sized under 2gigs? I am kinda new to the PS3 and all. I plan to purchase an external drive and play movies off that once I nail down the conversion process. I have a ton of iso images of discs I own. handbrake seems to be well liked for converting but I am finding it hard to pick the correct settings when it takes 2-5 hours per attempt. Plus under 2 gigs I can test them off a USB drive before getting an external drive.
post #14 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am having trouble finding the correct encoding options myself. But maybe if we can keep this thread alive, we all can get some useful information out of it.

I am working on a write up on how to use FreeNAS to stream the files, but getting it to where it is fool-proof with the video is currently being my challenge.
post #15 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 AM

So it doesnt look like there is a mac option? Just handbrake with 6 channel discrete?
Or did I look over it

Drew
post #16 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I am kicking around handbrake to get 5.1 and 2gig file size. At least for DVDs. I am in the "just one chapter" mode.
post #17 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I am kicking around handbrake to get 5.1 and 2gig file size. At least for DVDs. I am in the "just one chapter" mode.

Is that done with 6 channel discrete?
For some reason I thought I read that it wouldnt do 5.1....

Drew
post #18 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

My PS3 can't read .wmv (VC-1). It says unsupported data. Is there a good coverter there
that can maintain the original audio. I like to convert any videos to a PS3 friendly format.
Also all the files are either HD 720p or 1080p with 5.1 or other sound.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #19 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post

Is that done with 6 channel discrete?
For some reason I thought I read that it wouldnt do 5.1....

Not sure, still playing around with the audio side. I think I have the video figured out.

On the output settings I select AC3 and get unsupported file on the PS3.

AAC works, under track 1 I see English (AC3) (5.1) and have these options under track 1 mix:mono, stereo, dolby surround, dolby pro logicII, and 6 channel discrete.

I am no genius and realize this is easy for many here.
post #20 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

On a side note, vista file copy sucks. 2 minutes to calculate then move the file....ARG!!
post #21 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 04:06 PM

So far using tversity as my server I take my 720p or 1080p files with 5.1 and convert with convertxtodvd and just play right from the video ts folder!! no probs maintaining 5.1 or PQ
post #22 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 05:04 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

Quote:

None of my >2gb Xvid AVIs will play past the 2gb mark. They will play fine up to that point. Mediatomb 11 is getting released soon and I'll be checking out that new version for streaming. But I'm not confident that Xvid/Divx files greater than 2GB can play fully on the PS3 at this time without transcoding.

PSN: YstadYakuza
post #23 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Any thoughts on handbrake settings to keep audio and get files sized under 2gigs? I am kinda new to the PS3 and all. I plan to purchase an external drive and play movies off that once I nail down the conversion process. I have a ton of iso images of discs I own. handbrake seems to be well liked for converting but I am finding it hard to pick the correct settings when it takes 2-5 hours per attempt. Plus under 2 gigs I can test them off a USB drive before getting an external drive.

There is a clue in my post above

To make it even clearer:

Video mp4 format Final size target (2hr long movie) 1.5Gb

Choose PS3 in Presets (top right icon)

*pic setting untouched

*video setting Video framerate set to automatic
Video bitrate 1,5Mbs or target size 1.5Gb

*audio setting Track1mix 6channel discrete

That would do for me

post #24 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Can you take some pictures of your TV with the mp4 format files playing? I would like to see them b/c that small of a file may pose an issue with some TV's in terms of resolution. I know my HD content doesn't like it that well.
post #25 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

I've never had problems playing files over 4GB. I stream files over 8GB in size all the time with TwonkyMedia on my Macbook. Sorry for the bad pics, I took them with my cell phone.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then defeat you with experience.
post #26 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

Can you take some pictures of your TV with the mp4 format files playing? I would like to see them b/c that small of a file may pose an issue with some TV's in terms of resolution. I know my HD content doesn't like it that well.

I will but will post tomorrow.It's lunch time overhere and I am at work sorry

post #27 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

nolive, so your files will play all the way to the end? If so, that's good news.

post #28 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post

nolive, so your files will play all the way to the end? If so, that's good news.

I have converted somehow 20 movies with the different methods I have mentionned above.

All of them (transcode streaming via my laptop or direct playback from PS3/external HDD) played entirely.

I had tried other softwares or enconding methods but then either the playback will not even start or the movie had frozen at some point

post #29 of 827 Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Are you playing the '6 channel discrete' sound through the hdmi connection? I don't think that works over optical.
post #30 of 827 Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 AM
awx
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have converted somehow 20 movies with the different methods I have mentionned above.

All of them (transcode streaming via my laptop or direct playback from PS3/external HDD) played entirely.

I had tried other softwares or enconding methods but then either the playback will not even start or the movie had frozen at some point

Just to be clear, so when streaming you are transcoding? And you're playing back >2 GB Divx files from USB hard disks?

Both MPEG2 and MPEG4 AVC files will work above 2 GB but I've yet to encounter a single Divx/Xvid file that will play past the 2 GB point of the file.

Looking back at your posts, it doesn't sound like you are playing Divx above 2 GB. Sounds more like they are being transcoded (which is cool and useful). But Jetrii's pics certainly do look like Divx files larger than 2 GB are being played back via streaming.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page