External Hard Drive to PS3 via USB - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 137 Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I had it that way on one of my external drives and the ps3 did see the fat32 partition.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 Old 04-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Okay, thanks. I'll give it a try.
post #123 of 137 Old 04-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I successfully created a FAT32 partition, my PS3 recognized it, and I've started my backup.

But holy cow is it slow. The backup utility gave me an estimate of 6 hours 40 minutes. Unbelievable.
post #124 of 137 Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

The backup utility gave me an estimate of 6 hours 40 minutes

How much stuff is there to backup? Do you have a 200GB or so? I think I saw 7MB/sec during backup. Maybe it's slow due to encryption and may also be doing checksums.
post #125 of 137 Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

I have an 80GB drive, with about 11 GB free space left.
post #126 of 137 Old 04-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quick follow-up: I replaced my internal HD with a new, bigger one, and tried to restore from the external drive. It didn't go quite as smoothly as the online guides claimed.

I didn't get the XMB; I got a message saying that I didn't have version 3.21 of the system software. I had to download the latest update to a flash drive, connect that, and reinstall. Only then could I access the backup utility and restore what I'd saved to the external drive. (Restoring was much faster than backing up; only about 1 hour 40 minutes.) Either this is new with 3.21, or the online guides omit this step.

After restoring, things still weren't exactly right. I had to resync to get my trophies, which I expected, but my dynamic themes weren't working; they appeared as corrupted data, just as they did during the ApocalyPS3. I was able to redownload them from the Playstation Store without any problem, but should I have needed to do that?

Beyond that, things seem to be okay, and I have a 320GB drive in my PS3 now.
post #127 of 137 Old 04-10-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:

... I have a 320GB drive in my PS3 now.

Mass consumer software is not easy to do, Sony have given ps3 a lot of nice features.
A few glitches here and there are to be expected.

If you don't have one already, they're nice to have. I have the single with eSATA and USB.
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Products.aspx?S=1268

You can pop your old ps3 drive in there and use it for backups, etc. I buy cheap drives and just pop in and out. I label them so I know what's on them.
post #128 of 137 Old 04-11-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quick follow-up: I replaced my internal HD with a new, bigger one, and tried to restore from the external drive. It didn't go quite as smoothly as the online guides claimed.

I didn't get the XMB; I got a message saying that I didn't have version 3.21 of the system software. I had to download the latest update to a flash drive, connect that, and reinstall. Only then could I access the backup utility and restore what I'd saved to the external drive. (Restoring was much faster than backing up; only about 1 hour 40 minutes.) Either this is new with 3.21, or the online guides omit this step.

After restoring, things still weren't exactly right. I had to resync to get my trophies, which I expected, but my dynamic themes weren't working; they appeared as corrupted data, just as they did during the ApocalyPS3. I was able to redownload them from the Playstation Store without any problem, but should I have needed to do that?

Beyond that, things seem to be okay, and I have a 320GB drive in my PS3 now.

Everything you experienced sounds about right when performing an HDD upgrade. It's a PITA because of all the re-downloading you have to do from the store. It's too bad that the PS3 doesn't have some sort of cloning software.

post #129 of 137 Old 05-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Hello,

I have an older model western digital 1tb external with its own power supply, and no power button.
It turns on and off with the ps3 (which rules)

I see that the newer models have a power button, does that mean the drive
will no longer turn on and off as the ps3 turns on and off?

Id like to upgrade to 2tb, I've had alot of luck with the WDs, but I also like
being able to completely shut down with the harmony one.

Any suggestions appreciated...

Thanks
post #130 of 137 Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I have a Fantom 1tb drive with a power switch. If I leave the drive on and connected to the ps3, is doesn't turn completely off, but goes into standby mode when the ps3 gets turned off. It all depends on how the drive was made. Some drives will turn completely off when there is no signal coming from the usb. I would contact the manufacturer of the drive and ask them how their drive works before you buy a new one.
post #131 of 137 Old 05-19-2010, 03:17 AM

I dont think you can unless you plug them in order that you want them. whenever you plug in an external drive, it takes the next available drive letter. The OS basically assign the drive letters chronologically.
post #132 of 137 Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 AM

Hi There, i've purchased a 1.5TB Samsung External Hard drive, but it doesn't work on my PS3... I've formatted it to FAT32, and even created the Photo, Music, Video and Games folders, but still no luck... Any help???
post #133 of 137 Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyns86 View Post

Hi There, i've purchased a 1.5TB Samsung External Hard drive, but it doesn't work on my PS3... I've formatted it to FAT32, and even created the Photo, Music, Video and Games folders, but still no luck... Any help???

One of the possible reasons is the drive has multiple partitions. PS3 will only mount the 1st FAT32 partition. But this logic has an issue because if there are multiple FAT32 partitions on your hard drive, you should still see one FAT32 partition because PS3 ignores other non-FAT32 partitions.

Still worth checking on your PC with a hard drive partitioning utility. Also check the FAT32 partition isn't in the "hidden" state.

I never tried with 1.5TB FAT32 partition. If nothing works, create a smaller 1st partition formatted to FAT32. At least you will know if it's partition size is the cause or something else. FAT32 unofficially can handle terabytes but Microsoft doesn't want users to do it because of inefficiency and untested when it was introduced in Windows 95.

Update:
You said you tried to create photos, etc. Does that mean you can see the external hard drive icon mounted on your PS3?
post #134 of 137 Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

One of the possible reasons is the drive has multiple partitions. PS3 will only mount the 1st FAT32 partition. But this logic has an issue because if there are multiple FAT32 partitions on your hard drive, you should still see one FAT32 partition because PS3 ignores other non-FAT32 partitions.

Still worth checking on your PC with a hard drive partitioning utility. Also check the FAT32 partition isn't in the "hidden" state.

I never tried with 1.5TB FAT32 partition. If nothing works, create a smaller 1st partition formatted to FAT32. At least you will know if it's partition size is the cause or something else. FAT32 unofficially can handle terabytes but Microsoft doesn't want users to do it because of inefficiency and untested when it was introduced in Windows 95.

Update:
You said you tried to create photos, etc. Does that mean you can see the external hard drive icon mounted on your PS3?

How do I "partition"? Yes, I've created folders, but still the PS3 doesn't read the external. But if I put a Memory Stick in the PS3, it reads perfectly. The indicator light comes on which shows me that the external is working, but it's just not reading on the PS3. Sorry, I'm quite new at all of this, don't know how all this stuff works...
post #135 of 137 Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyns86 View Post

How do I "partition"? Yes, I've created folders, but still the PS3 doesn't read the external. But if I put a Memory Stick in the PS3, it reads perfectly. The indicator light comes on which shows me that the external is working, but it's just not reading on the PS3. Sorry, I'm quite new at all of this, don't know how all this stuff works...

1st question, what did you use to format your USB hard drive to FAT32? If you use Windows, by default it will not allow to format any partition larger than 30GB to FAT32. On Mac, useless you know how to access the partition utility, it will not format to FAT32.

To see partitions on the hard drive, if you use Windows see this guide:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...disk-partition
Just follow step #1 and #2 to see all the partitions on each hard drive mounted on Windows.

Or this free partitioning software:
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

If you are unsure what you are doing, don't change or delete anything. All you need to know if when you selected your USB hard drive, it shows only one FAT32 partition that is visible. By default Windows should mount the FAT32 partition so that you can test by creating folders and files to ensure they work. If not, assign a drive letter to it so that you can test it. On Mac it should also auto mount FAT32 partition. I don't think you are using Linux.

As having the USB hard drive indicator light on only means the hard drive detected USB signal from your PS3. Doesn't mean the hard drive is configured properly for PS3 to understand.

Once the USB hard drive has been setup with FAT32 including proper partitioning, the hard drive icon (name depends on your hard drive manufacturer ID) will appear on your PS3 XMB in pictures, music, video, etc.

You also need to put different type of files in specific folders at the root for PS3 to see them by default:
http://ps3explained.com/advanced/folder-structure/

If you can get this far, I'll tell you more on other possible issues to know with external USB hard drive.

About extenal USB hard drive compatibility with PS3. I have read some said not all USB hard drives are compatible with PS3. Not sure if it was misconfiguration or really incompatible. I have a lot of USB storages from generic to brand name and never encounter one isn't compatible with PS3 as long the USB storage is properly configured.
post #136 of 137 Old 09-14-2011, 06:43 AM

I've used Windows 7 to format to FAT32. Thanks for all your help so far, will check it out tonight when I get home, and let you know tomorrow...
post #137 of 137 Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 PM

i have done all that and i still can't get any videos on my PS3.

any help?

oh, BTW i have 1TB Verbatim HD. does that do anything?
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page