PS3 optical drive failure? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 223 Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm playing CoD4 last night and just after starting a new game, I notice that the sound is becoming intermittent. So I take the disc out and clean it, put it back in but just let it stay at the menu so I can go eat. I switch over to Sat TV and eat, and when done go back to CoD4. The main menu is frozen and won't respond to the remote. I take out the disc, turn off the PS3 with the back power button and then turn it back on again. I put in CoD4 but it doesn't auto-start, and it doesn't seem like the disc is being recognized. I put in a Blu-ray movie disc and same thing - doesn't recognize the disc.

I'm about to call Sony, but I wanted to check and see if others here may have experienced this problem, and if there was a fix for it? My 40GB PS3 is about 2-1/2 months old - got it this past Nov on Black Friday. Thanks in advance for any info.

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 223 Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Yea it happens. Call sony and have it replaced.
post #3 of 223 Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, that's not exactly good news. I was hearing about the low failure rate of the PS3s and supposedly that the 40GB should have even less issues, but now I'm kind of pissed that I didn't get the Best Buy replacement warranty. I guess I'll have to send mine in, and then wait for Sony to send out a replacement.

I just tried calling Sony, and got the recording saying that due to a very high call volume I wouldn't be able to speak to anyone at this time and to try calling later.

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #4 of 223 Old 02-12-2008, 10:08 AM

Liked: 13
Yep.. the same exact thing happened to me last night, but with AC, instead of COD4.. I bought mine from sonystyle less then a month ago, so I called them up and they will take it back and send me a new one.

Mine was also a 40GB model.. manufactured Nov 2007. IIRC
post #5 of 223 Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

That happened to me. I threw in a PS2 game and a DVD and they both worked. The issue is isolated with the blu-ray electronics. I had the return plan at Best Buy and got a new one.

Was yours a launch unit? Perhaps the the blu-ray components (on launch models) are already reaching the end of their lifespan....NBTI anyone?

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
post #6 of 223 Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

same happened to my 40gb from 11/07. brought it back to best buy on 1/25 and got a new one no questions asked.

The Ride

Ps3 500gb & Ps3 250gb
Xbox 360 Elite
post #7 of 223 Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbo20vT View Post

same happened to my 40gb from 11/07. brought it back to best buy on 1/25 and got a new one no questions asked.

Interesting, I bought mine on 11/23/2007 and wonder if BB will do the same exchange for me? I've had it less than 3 months, and I saw that BB was offering returns of holiday purchases up until Jan 31st 2008. It's past that now, but guess I'll just have to try it and see. Would just be kind of a pain to box everything up and then find out they won't exchange it.

But I was able to get a hold of Sony support finally. They said to restore to the PS3 to default settings and see if that worked. If not, then to backup my PS3's data to a flash drive and do a System Restore. If that still didn't work then to call them back, and at that point I guess they would arrange for a replacement.

What's everyone's thoughts on trying what the Sony support rep said to do? Thanks for all the reponses!

EDIT: Now I'm thinking that Best Buy might not accept the PS3 back because I cut out the bar code for the Blu-ray movie disc promotion.
Durbo20vT - Did your PS3 box still have the UPC code on it?

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #8 of 223 Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post

What's everyone's thoughts on trying what the Sony support rep said to do? Thanks for all the reponses!

I've never dealt with Sony support, but who would know what to try better than them?
post #9 of 223 Old 02-12-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Well, that's not exactly good news. I was hearing about the low failure rate of the PS3s and supposedly that the 40GB should have even less issues, but now I'm kind of pissed that I didn't get the Best Buy replacement warranty. I guess I'll have to send mine in, and then wait for Sony to send out a replacement.

I just tried calling Sony, and got the recording saying that due to a very high call volume I wouldn't be able to speak to anyone at this time and to try calling later.

Low failure rate does not signify 0 failure rate. If there is a failure rate of 1% and 1 million consoles sold, then there are 10,000 consoles that will fail on average. Contrary to popular belief, someone does have to get these consoles... sorry that it had to be you :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul
Electrons aren't into hype, they stick with the laws of physics.
Samsung 4065F, Xbox360, 40gb PS3, Tosh HD-A2
post #10 of 223 Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Wildonher View Post

I've never dealt with Sony support, but who would know what to try better than them?

I guess I'm just curious if anyone else that had this problem had tried the above, and what the results were?

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #11 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In case anyone's interested...

I tried Sony's above suggestions to no avail. Sony is sending me a pre-paid box for shipping off my 40GB PS3 to them, and once they receive it they stated it would be a 10-14 day turnaround to get the replacement PS3 back to me. So this basically looks like I'll be almost 3 weeks without a Blu-ray movie player/game console.

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #12 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 AM

Yeah they have a low failure rate. You were just one of the unlucky bunch. It happens, sadly.
post #13 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Next time, if there is one - I'm getting the BB replacement warranty. And I won't care that AVS folks say not to.

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #14 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

not sure of the build date on mine, mabye its on the box? but i did get the BB 2 yr service plan, I was hoping i wouldnt start hearing these stories about the ps3

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #15 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

not sure of the build date on mine, mabye its on the box? but i did get the BB 2 yr service plan, I was hoping i wouldnt start hearing these stories about the ps3

Yeah, i bought the Target 3 year extended warranty just incase..i never had a drive failure on a console in my entire life in gaming,but i figure the 3 year extended warranty replcement offer was only $30,and if anything does happen later on, i can just go to the store and get a replacemnt no questions asked.

Easier than waiting or the replacemnt to be shipped back. it's was only $30 for me so why not!
post #16 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

Yeah, i bought the Target 3 year extended warranty just incase..i never had a drive failure on a console in my entire life in gaming,but i figure the 3 year extended warranty replcement offer was only $30,and if anything does happen later on, i can just go to the store and get a replacemnt no questions asked.

Easier than waiting or the replacemnt to be shipped back. it's was only $30 for me so why not!

My point exactly, I would rather pay $50 to know that I can drive 15 mins to the store and come home with a new one and not wait weeks, I did the same thing with my 360...I usually dont waste money on extended warr's but things are getting so high tech these days its not a bad idea on some items.

Anyone know where I can find my build date? Is it on the box or manuals anywhere? Or do I have to pul my system out

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #17 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

There have been some other people here with failed blu-ray drives so the growing number is a little disconcerning. It's weird that a lot of people in this thread seem to have 40gigs from Nov-Dec timeframe. Curious to see if others chime in about there optical drive failures and on what size PS3.

Oh yeah sorry for your luck. That blows.

PSN: T-Neck

I'm doin' it wrong
post #18 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I went through this just before Christmas. I was out a PS3 for the Christmas holiday and it took 3 weeks for mine.

Here is my time line

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=disc+drive

PSN: Mobius570
XBL: Mobius570
Wii: Some silly number I can't locate
TWW
My Gaming Rig
post #19 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:

I'm playing CoD4 last night and just after starting a new game, I notice that the sound is becoming intermittent.

I'm about to call Sony, but I wanted to check and see if others here may have experienced this problem, and if there was a fix for it? My 40GB PS3 is about 2-1/2 months old - got it this past Nov on Black Friday. Thanks in advance for any info.

That's exactly what happened to my PS3. The optical drive died while playing COD4 (the sound began to cut off). Call Sony, they are going to verify that ALL media disks don't work, including Blue-ray and DVD, walking you though turning off media sharing beforehand, then they are going to collect your information, send you a box to ship your PS3 in, it will be overnighted to them (but not to you) and finally ship you a new PS3 back. This whole process took me two weeks.

Let me guess, you got the 40GB model purchased in winter 07. During the down time the only dead lasers posts in forums I found were in the 40GB models bought in that time frame.

You better still have your receipt, they want a copy of it for warranty repairs.

I'm thinking I need to call them next week, I've had the HDMI cut on and off randomly on this new one and last night for the first time it decided to reboot mid game on COD4. The COD4 reboot could just be that COD4 has some bugs, and the HDMI issue could be my cord getting messed with somehow during the unplugging for the initial repair. I've got another HDMI cord on the way (ordering is the ONLY way to not get ripped off on those things) and I'll see if the issue persists.
post #20 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepticBurrito View Post

That's exactly what happened to my PS3. The optical drive died while playing COD4. Call Sony, they are going to verify that ALL media disks don't work, including Blue-ray and DVD, walking you though turning off media sharing beforehand, then they are going to collect your information, send you a box to ship your PS3 in, it will be overnighted to them (but not to you) and finally ship you a new PS3 back.

They actually had me do 2 things:
1. Reset to default and try again.
2. Restore PS3 system and try again.

Neither worked so I called back. They asked if the unit had been dropped or had anything spilled on it, I told them no and then they proceeded to take my info.

Quote:

Let me guess, you got the 40GB model purchased in winter 07. During the down time the only dead lasers posts in forums I found were in the 40GB models bought in that time frame.

Yep, 11/23/07 (Black Friday) from Best Buy. I knew I should've gotten the BB replacement warranty, but the suggestion of most others here was to save my money. I was hesitant about spending $80 for a 2 (or 3) year replacement warranty, so I opted not to. Next time there will be no hesitation.

Quote:

You better still have your receipt, they want a copy of it for warranty repairs.

I'm thinking I need to call them next week, I've had the HDMI cut on and off randomly on this new one and last night for the first time it decided to reboot mid game on COD4. The COD4 reboot could just be that COD4 has some bugs, and the HDMI issue could be my cord getting messed with somehow during the unplugging for the initial repair. I've got another HDMI cord on the way (ordering is the ONLY way to not get ripped off on those things) and I'll see if the issue persists.

Yep, still have the receipt, original box, etc. Although the form link they emailed me stated to include the power cable, network cable and sixaxis controller when I box up the PS3 to send them. I'm thinking they need to check these as well - even though I know they aren't the cause.

Good luck with yours, and hopefully it won't have to be sent back again.

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #21 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius_570 View Post

I went through this just before Christmas. I was out a PS3 for the Christmas holiday and it took 3 weeks for mine.

Here is my time line

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=disc+drive

I thought I remember reading at least someone else was having the same issue. And it seems many were playing CoD4 when the initial issue happened, as it did with me. Hmmm...

Well, guess I'll be going through CoD4 withdrawls for the next few weeks.

I'd really be curious to know if anyone had the issue while playing CoD4, sent their PS3 back for repair, got their replacement back and had the issue again while playing CoD4? I know there was some talk of this earlier, but I don't know if it actually ever happened to anyone - optical drive failing twice while playing CoD4?

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #22 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 02:32 PM

my friend bought a 40gig in november 07 and his drive failed a little over a week ago. i bought my 80gig a week after him but mine is still working. he tried a store return because he bought the extended warranty or whatever nebraska furniture mart has and they refused to honor it saying it was only in effect after the mfg warrantly ended. needless to say he was pissed. called sony and it took over a week to get the pre-paid return box. they aren't fast.
post #23 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:

They actually had me do 2 things:
ep, still have the receipt, original box, etc. Although the form link they emailed me stated to include the power cable, network cable and sixaxis controller when I box up the PS3 to send them. I'm thinking they need to check these as well - even though I know they aren't the cause.

Good luck with yours, and hopefully it won't have to be sent back again.

By time I called them I ready tried restoring to defaults. The reason you are shipping them everything is they are going to ship you back a boxed PS3 that been opened to have the Spiderman 3 disk removed. It's easier than remembering exactly what which customer sent in. Don't worry about that, in two weeks you're going to have TWO proof of purchases! *rolls eyes*.

The only thing you're going to have to sign for is the PS3 they ship you, which is sent 3 day select (which took 5). That was so painful. It was flown over night to a UPS hub in Kentucky from Texas and then driven down to Florida.

Nothing like updating every day to see the trucker had stopped every 8 hours.
post #24 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

We should start a database and try to find out if lot #s or serial #s can be tracked to be the defective ones. It may help people with future purchases.
post #25 of 223 Old 02-13-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepticBurrito View Post

By time I called them I ready tried restoring to defaults. The reason you are shipping them everything is they are going to ship you back a boxed PS3 that been opened to have the Spiderman 3 disk removed. It's easier than remembering exactly what which customer sent in. Don't worry about that, in two weeks you're going to have TWO proof of purchases! *rolls eyes*.

The only thing you're going to have to sign for is the PS3 they ship you, which is sent 3 day select (which took 5). That was so painful. It was flown over night to a UPS hub in Kentucky from Texas and then driven down to Florida.

Nothing like updating every day to see the trucker had stopped every 8 hours.

Listen, it took Amazon 10 days to ship my original 4065F to me. I received it broken, and it took about a month to get the full refund back. Total shipping distance from the Amazon warehouse that it was sent from to my front door = less than 60 miles. I COULD HAVE ****ING WALKED THERE AND DUCT TAPED IT TO MY ****ING BACK. lol... I will hear no shipping complaints Be glad that sony doesn't use EAGLE lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul
Electrons aren't into hype, they stick with the laws of physics.
Samsung 4065F, Xbox360, 40gb PS3, Tosh HD-A2
post #26 of 223 Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

We should start a database and try to find out if lot #s or serial #s can be tracked to be the defective ones. It may help people with future purchases.

i have a question..how do you find the manufacturing date? it doesn't say on the box or console.
post #27 of 223 Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

i have a question..how do you find the manufacturing date? it doesn't say on the box or console.

I am betting you can tell by the serial #, I just don't know how. Somebody is bound to know though.
post #28 of 223 Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

I am betting you can tell by the serial #, I just don't know how. Somebody is bound to know though.

I almost positive there is a really small sticker on the bottom of the unit and it has the date stamped on it. I'll double check when I get a chance, unless someone else is near their PS3.

PSN: Mobius570
XBL: Mobius570
Wii: Some silly number I can't locate
TWW
My Gaming Rig
post #29 of 223 Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius_570 View Post

I almost positive there is a really small sticker on the bottom of the unit and it has the date stamped on it. I'll double check when I get a chance, unless someone else is near their PS3.

You are correct, mine shows September 2007. So now if you've had a drive failure post up your man. date. Might not help, but you never know.
post #30 of 223 Old 02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikasauce View Post

That happened to me. I threw in a PS2 game and a DVD and they both worked. The issue is isolated with the blu-ray electronics. I had the return plan at Best Buy and got a new one.

Was yours a launch unit? Perhaps the the blu-ray components (on launch models) are already reaching the end of their lifespan....NBTI anyone?

40gb
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page