MLB 08 The Show Demo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know if the demo is up yet? If it is, how is it?

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
should be up with tonight's update (7-8pm est). i am SO excited for this game i can hardly contain myself...

last year's version was my favorite sports game of the year, and this year's looks to blow that away by a good measure.

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #3 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

... i am SO excited for this game i can hardly contain myself...

I'm not really a sports game fan, but those words coming from you Talbain, really have me anxious to check out this demo later! I don't think I've ever seen such exuberance from you before. Something must be up! Oh, by the way, even though I'm happy about you being upbeat about something, I still think I would prefer you fully contained.
post #4 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 PM

The demo is up.
post #5 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Downloading it now.

Join the AVS Folding @ Home team!! Team #55280

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
post #6 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 05:52 PM

same here, been waiting for a good baseball game.

PSN: Wingless92
XBL: Wingless1992
Gaming, Smut And Tv In HD
Wanna Join FOGgaming.com? Some Restrictions Apply, Please See Site For Details
post #7 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Played the demo a few minutes and I'm already convinced that this is a must buy for me.
post #8 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

YES YES YES! hot damn this game is going to be my game of the year. demo is simply amazing. they have REALLY nailed down the look and feel of a real major league baseball game. big jump in visuals over last year. i mean BIG. beautiful rendering of fenway, perfect lighting and shadows, player faces and mannerisms, etc. and that makes no mention of the jaw dropping animations. from the looks of it this game is a stunner visually and does it at 60 fps to boot.

another thing i really loved about last year's game that continues into this year's version is the TOTAL control you have over your players. this is as deep a sports game as i've ever played. how about the way the fans react when you hit a foul ball into the stands? amazing...and how many demos let you play for this long?

quick question: when pitching, does anyone know what those arrows are when throwing a breaking ball? i'm guessing it's to judge the break of the ball, but i haven't nailed down how to perfect the mechanics of the pitch with them yet. every breaking ball i've thrown is either wildly outside or getting tagged by the batter.

man i can't wait for march 4. i'm begging everyone out there who's even remotely interested in baseball and owns a ps3 to give this game a try. download the demo and both videos on the psn store. based on last year's game and what i've seen so far from today's demo, i'm ready to say that mlb 08 has a shot at being one of the best sports games ever made. and those are pretty strong words coming from me

ps, can't wait to see johan in his #57 in this game either...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #9 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 07:20 PM

is it just mine or is everyone elses not full screen?
post #10 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYSEGUY View Post

I haven't downloaded it yet, but in MLB '07 there was a menu option to adjust the size of the screen. I would like to think that '08 would have the same.

PSN: IowaWigman
post #11 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

i didn't have to do anything for the demo. full 16:9, 720p

---Mr. Met---

post #12 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I had high hopes for MLB 07 The Show as baseball is my favorite sport but I've never really seen a baseball game worth buying. I rented 07 and was again disappointed. A few pitches into 08, and I was blown away! This game really is incredible. The animations are SO smooth and fluid. I didn't feel like the hitting was nearly impossible like most baseball games I've tried. The pitches still look fast but you are still able to tell where they are going and get a good swing off. I'm very impressed and excited for this game.
post #13 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The game seems very good. I was having a lot of trouble catching up to Jeff Francis' blazing 89 mph fastball, however. I'm hoping that this has to do with my poor pitch recognition and not HDTV lag.
post #14 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 PM

I don't even like baseball and I'm anxiously awaiting the demo to finish downloading right now. The videos I've seen thus far have given me pause to check it out.
post #15 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow what a game. Big time must buy for me. I can't for the life of me figure out the pitching mechanism but very excited to get this one.

Rodney
post #16 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

YES YES YES! hot damn this game is going to be my game of the year. demo is simply amazing. they have REALLY nailed down the look and feel of a real major league baseball game. big jump in visuals over last year. i mean BIG. beautiful rendering of fenway, perfect lighting and shadows, player faces and mannerisms, etc. and that makes no mention of the jaw dropping animations. from the looks of it this game is a stunner visually and does it at 60 fps to boot.

another thing i really loved about last year's game that continues into this year's version is the TOTAL control you have over your players. this is as deep a sports game as i've ever played. how about the way the fans react when you hit a foul ball into the stands? amazing...and how many demos let you play for this long?

quick question: when pitching, does anyone know what those arrows are when throwing a breaking ball? i'm guessing it's to judge the break of the ball, but i haven't nailed down how to perfect the mechanics of the pitch with them yet. every breaking ball i've thrown is either wildly outside or getting tagged by the batter.

man i can't wait for march 4. i'm begging everyone out there who's even remotely interested in baseball and owns a ps3 to give this game a try. download the demo and both videos on the psn store. based on last year's game and what i've seen so far from today's demo, i'm ready to say that mlb 08 has a shot at being one of the best sports games ever made. and those are pretty strong words coming from me

ps, can't wait to see johan in his #57 in this game either...

ESPN Magazine says this game is the most realistic baseball game ever created. Downloading now.
post #17 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
downloading now. i really hope this demo lives up to the hype it has gotten in this thread, because i've been waiting since the sega genesis went extinct for a sweet baseball game to buy.

500 gigs FTW.
post #18 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 10:34 PM

Silly question... but how the hell do you pitch in this game? I have yet to throw a strike. I have, however, discovered that it's really easy to hit batters. :P

I haven't played a baseball game since Bases Loaded on NES.
post #19 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

i've only pitched to two guys, and accidentally walked one, and already i love this game. the fluidity of it is simply amazing.

edit: btw, the graphics freakin' own.

500 gigs FTW.
post #20 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 10:59 PM

Pretty cool, but no way I can get into this. Way too slow going for me. At this point, I think I could only get into an arcade style baseball game.
post #21 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

i lost, 3-2. i had two hits, both home runs. i don't know exactly how the batting works. how do you influence the hit? do you push down on the left stick for a grounder and up for a fly ball?

500 gigs FTW.
post #22 of 209 Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 PM

I'm a huge baseball fan and man am i happy i own a PS3 right now...MLB 08 is hands down the greatest baseball game ever created...That demo is absolutely phenomenal, picture quality graphics, rock solid framerate, the most realistic presentation i have ever seen in a sports game and smooth as butter gameplay...

Heres some tips for those of you having problems with pitching and hitting...

For pitching you have to stop the meter in the yellow then in the white...Breaking balls like a curve for example show where the ball will break with arrows so place it accordingly...A little bit of advice, don't go with what the catcher calls since he always calls for a fastball...Mix up your pitches to keep the batter off balance...

For hitting you use the left stick to aim, if the pitch is low you tilt the left stick down so you can hit it on the sweet part of the bat...If its high you tilt the stick up...You use the right stick to influence the ball, tilt it up for a fly ball and down for a ground ball...Use guess pitch to your advantage, when you guess the location correctly you will automatically put good wood on the ball and hit it hard so all you have to do is time your swing and tilt the right stick up to get it in the air...
post #23 of 209 Old 02-15-2008, 12:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Best looking sports game ever, and with REALLY deep gameplay elements. Hats off to Sony for this winner.

The hitting allows you to do quite a bit. X is a normal swing (or a check swing if released early). [] is a power swing for the fences. Press Select (and then R1 or R2... I forget) for loads of info on the batter and pitcher to better help you decide how to approach an at-bat.

You can simply aim with the left stick as described above, but to maximize your hitting skills, hold R2 to try and pre-guess which pitch is coming before it is thrown (pressing any action button), and/or pre-guess the location that you think it will be at (9 spots to choose from). If you are correct with one guess you have a better chance for a good hit, but if you guess both correctly you really hit the sweet spot of the ball. Pressing L3 after a pitch reveals where the ball was, where you swung, and if you were early, late, or right on time.

All of this and more is explained in the tip screens that pop up. For instance, you use the sixaxis control to dive on defense (horizontal movement) or jump (up with sixaxis). You can also control how hard or normal you throw the ball by how long you hold the button when you do throw it. Oh man I wish there was a basketball game that looked and played this real.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #24 of 209 Old 02-15-2008, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

This is what I could figure out about pitching so far. First you select with the left stick where it's going, obviously. After you've selected your pitch, the meter will start to swing. You press X once to select power/speed, more red = more speed (probably less accurate), the when it swings back when you want to press X again as close to the white line in the blue as possible for your accuracy. When pitching from the stretch (when guys are on base) it moves faster altogether. Probably to simulate the extra nerves a pitcher has and because of the overall faster windup from that position. The little bars under each pitch type I assume mean how much stamina you have left for that pitch type. The yellow arrows must mean where it's going to break to while the ball above the arrows must mean where it's going to appear to go to the batter.

Did you guys know if your press the R3 while batting you get a first person view from the plate? You can't swing like that but you can look around the field and it's pretty cool.
post #25 of 209 Old 02-15-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYSEGUY View Post

Mine isn't full screen either but there's an option in the menus that allows you to stretch the picture both vertically and horizontally.
post #26 of 209 Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

It's definitely better than last years and now we finally have a baseball game that supports rumble...

This will add a point or two to the overall review score.
post #27 of 209 Old 02-15-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post

This is what I could figure out about pitching so far. First you select with the left stick where it's going, obviously. After you've selected your pitch, the meter will start to swing. You press X once to select power/speed, more red = more speed (probably less accurate), the when it swings back when you want to press X again as close to the white line in the blue as possible for your accuracy. When pitching from the stretch (when guys are on base) it moves faster altogether. Probably to simulate the extra nerves a pitcher has and because of the overall faster windup from that position. The little bars under each pitch type I assume mean how much stamina you have left for that pitch type. The yellow arrows must mean where it's going to break to while the ball above the arrows must mean where it's going to appear to go to the batter.

Did you guys know if your press the R3 while batting you get a first person view from the plate? You can't swing like that but you can look around the field and it's pretty cool.

that about sums up pitching. it's the same as last year except for the arrows for the breaking balls. you can spend alot of time analyzing matchups and pitch selection and what the scouting report says each hitter tends to look for in any given situation. you can also look at how each of your pitches is working for you (some days your curve just doesn't have the bite it normally does, and believe me, there ARE day to day variances). it's mindbending stuff. last night i had troy toulowhat'shisnameski foul off like 14 pitches before lining a double to right with a runner on 2nd to tie up the game 2-2. it was one hell of a duel until i disagreed with my catcher's advice and threw a changeup that caught just a bit more of the plate than i wanted, and he made me pay for it. it really doesn't get much better than that

it's great to see everyone liking the game. believe me, i don't often gush over a game, but mlb is special. very special. i absolutely loved it last year and this year the improvements look to be pretty dramatic, especially in the graphics department. just wait until you guys get a load of the road to the show mode where you need to look to your base coaches and understand the signs to know what the hell they want you to do during tense situations. god help you if you're an up and coming rookie and you miss a bunt sign and it costs your team...

hopefully i'll get to play you guys online when the game is released.

---Mr. Met---

post #28 of 209 Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Road to The Show 2.0 – To deliver the closest experience possible, next to actually trying to make it in the Majors, MLB 08 THE SHOW introduces a more immersive Road to The Show mode. As gamers attempt to make a starting line-up in the Big Leagues, playing on both offense and defense from a custom-created player's perspective, a more robust dynamic goal system and a new career advancement system will determine when a player is eligible for a promotion. Now, advancement goals related to the player's attribute target level will be provided to get the player to that next level and those goals are based on the player's attribute level and statistical performance. Also, Road to The Show 2.0 adds a new statistics screen that will display a player's current seasons' statistics. Additionally, custom-created players are more interactive. As a position player, gamers will be able to further adjust that players positioning, catchers will occur more defense situations, and pitcher's will now experience mound visits with user interaction – all making Road to The Show mode even more realistic.

· Progressive Batting Performance – Progressive Batting Performance is a feature designed to both reward players for superior performance and penalizes them for hitting slumps. Specific to each individual batter, the players will be rewarded with slight contact bonuses for each batter that performs beyond his "natural ability" while under user control. Conversely, the user will be punished with slight decreases in contact for each batter that performs below his "natural ability".

· Replay Vault – With the new Replay Vault, gamers can now go back to that spectacular diving, behind the back double play from the first inning and show their friends. Replays are available from any part of the game from any inning within that game.

· Post Game/In Game Pitcher and Batter Analysis – Stats and match-up analysis' are a baseball fan's dream! The Pitch Analysis is a breakdown of all the pitches thrown during the current game being played. Gamers will be able sort by pitcher, LHB or RHB, Pitch type and result. This feature is also available for Batters, and the batter analysis allows for a breakdown of how a batter has performed based on LHP or RHP, Pitch Type and the result.

· Pitch Grips – Adding ore authenticity, MLB 08 THE SHOW details the different pitch grips and arm angles that a pitcher has when throwing each pitch. Showing these details in Replay Mode will further enhance the look of the game. 18 different pitch types total! (Four-Seam Fastball, Two-Seam Fastball, Cut Fastball, Split-Fingered Fastball, Curveball, Slider, Sinker, Slurve, Change-Up, Circle Change, Knuckleball, Palmball, Forkball, Knuckle-Curve, Screwball, 10-4 Curve, 12-6 Curve & Gyro).

· Crowd Interaction – With the power of the PS3, the MLB franchise is set introduce subtle elements of baseball that, quite simply, couldn't be done on another platform. A big part of baseball is in the ambiance of the game – having realistic stadiums is mandatory, but the crowd also plays a big part in the overall atmosphere. Gamers will see a vast array of new ambient elements including: fans coming, going and reaching for foul balls, vendors, 7th inning stretch, the wave, standing ovations, dynamic crown actions like hanging K's, and much, much more. These new subtleties make MLB 08 THE SHOW truly feel like a day at the ballpark.

· MLB My Music – Ever wanted to make your own video game soundtrack? With

MLB 08 THE SHOW for the PS3 and PSP® gamers will be able to take the music that they have stored on their PS3 HDD and add to the list of music played in the Juke Box.

· SCOUT [SportsConnect Online User Tracking] – If you've ever had a difficult time finding an opponent that wants to play online with the same gameplay setting as you, this is your feature. SCOUT allows gamers to set their game preferences, stores them on the server, and then allows the system to look for a Quick Match with an opponent that fits their criteria.

· In-Game MLB Live Scores – Using our new top of the screen Score Bar display, gamers will get updates on what is going on in the Majors. Along with scores and inning, gamers will also see notables, such as HR's, complete games, etc.

· Online League Play – MLB 08 THE SHOW provides today's sports fanatics with the ability to set up leagues with anywhere from 6-30 teams with full stat tracking, point benefits and rewards. Gamers can customize the league including choosing players, teams, length of schedule and much more. (Note: There are no cross platform leagues available.)

· Online News Service / MLB.com Headline News – Sports fanatics can receive all the current happenings in sports today. Information will be updated a few times each hour with news, trades and events from 31 different feeds, each containing 25 unique items. Users can select general MLB® headlines or updates from all 30 teams instantly. New for 07, MLB 08 THE SHOW offers an enhanced Live MLB Ticker, which shows live status of all MLB games going on around the league – with updates several times a minute. This new view will be complete with who is on base, pitching, batting, on-deck and full inning-by-inning box scores.

· Rivalry Mode – For those with a competitive nature, Rivalry Mode allows baseball fans to set up and maintain multi-game rivalries between multiple gamers or versus the Artificial Intelligence (AI), and keeps track of the stats throughout the rivalry.

· Franchise Mode – Extending the experience of running a team, performance and player morale are tracked on virtually every level – salary, playing time, batting slot, team performance, and much more.

· Career Mode – The Career Spotlight underscores all of the accomplishments and failures during a career and showcases them in the limelight. Gamers still need to call the shots, but now the ramifications of actions are documented.

· Season Mode – Grind out the162 game season and deal with day-to-day match-ups, refining the lineup and play for the championship just like the pros.

· All-Star Game – Lets gamers take the virtual road trip to San Francisco early to see who prevails for home field advantage in the 2007 Fall Classic.

· Multi-Branch Fielding – Branch Point Technology goes to a new level as gamers you can now take full control of fielders and break out of any animation in the process. Change a fielding decision and branch out of any animation after the first branch point. With Branch Point Technology, MLB 08 THE SHOW provides unbelievably smooth, fluid transitions for seamless double plays and relays.

· PlayMaker Fielding – The fielding interface brings the player attributes together with the user's skill level. With the Fielding Zone Marker, the fielder's fielding attribute rating will determine the size of the zone that surrounds the ball and its eventual landing location. With highly ranked fielders, the ball marker will be displayed sooner and smaller, making it easier to judge fly balls.

· Adaptive Pitching Intelligence (API) – Catchers will call the game based on individual strengths and weaknesses of each pitcher and analyze tendencies of batters. Gamers will have the ability to trust the pitches called by the catcher or shake them off. (The catcher's recommendations are based off of thousands of actual MLB® stats.)

· Pitch Command System (PCS) – Delivering unsurpassed authenticity and strategy to pitch selection, a pitcher's "pitch comfort" will be predetermined based on a best to worst pitch scenario. It's up the gamer to decide if they should try to "work on a pitch" or just go with what's working. The more a player works on a pitch, the better it becomes, and the more a gamer neglects a pitch, the harder it becomes to work the zone.

· Release Point Pitching – Taking video game pitching to a whole new level, gamers must utilize a timing mechanism to learn and realize each pitchers pace and release point, which varies from pitcher to pitcher.

· Pitching Confidence Meter – The ultimate pitcher/batter interface returns. Additionally, Pitcher Confidence plays a role in a gamer's ability to hit release points in the all-new pitch meter, while frequency of mistakes will impact the confidence level of a gamer's hurler, making it more difficult to paint the corners of the strike zone.

· Guess Pitch – Baseball fans can attempt to master the ability to knock one out or hit the grounder to advance the runner by checking the pitch history and correctly guessing which pitch and the location that the pitcher will throw next. If the correct pitch is selected, the power attribute is increased in attempts to leave the yard in a hurry.

· 40-Man Roster – Provides the ability to take full control of a team's roster and manage all 40 players for each and every game.

· My Sliders (Up/Downloadable) – The My Sliders option gives users the ability to create their perfect game settings offline by adjusting game sliders. Gamers can then save these adjustments to memory and, when online, upload to them to the MLB 08 THE SHOW server for other users to try and let the online community be the judge on finding the perfect game.

· MLB® Player Motion Captures – MLB 08 THE SHOW features dozens of professional athletes including David Wright, David Ortiz, Eric Chavez, Roger Clemens, Shawn Green, Tony Gwynn, Trevor Hoffman, Tim Hudson, Darryl Hamilton, Troy Percival, Brett Tomko, Mo Vaughn and more.

· Thousands of Personalized Animations – Authenticity: featuring personalized player animations for everything from walk-ups, rituals, stances and swings and even emotions.

· New Umpire Personalities – Providing even more realism to the diamond, MLB 08 THE SHOW features umpires with unique tendencies and animations. Each umpire will have his own definition of the strike zone, and it's up to the gamer to figure out if the umpire is calling the zone high, low, or giving the corners.

· MLB 08 THE SHOW sets the bar high with the Progressive Commentary that changes as the user progresses throughout the game by adapting to current actions and situations.

· Managers / Coaches – MLB® managers and coaches will be on the field calling the shots.

· MLB Authenticity, Subtleties & Nuances – MLB 08 THE SHOW features drag bunts, wild pitches, broken bats, check swings, off-line throws and much more.

· Wind Effects – MLB 08 THE SHOW features a wind display showing wind speed and direction. Depending upon the severity of the wind, the ball will drift according to the speed and direction. Wind effects will force the player to take the proper route to the ball and make adjustments on the fly.

· 3-Man Booth & Progressive Commentary – Rex Hudler, Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell provide the most comprehensive commentary heard in any baseball videogame.

---Mr. Met---

post #29 of 209 Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 AM

How come they mention the "2007 Fall Classic"? Typo, I guess! Anybody play Pro Yakkyu Spirits and can compare these 2? I've heard awesome things about PYS, but it's in Japanese.

PSN ID: buckswin
post #30 of 209 Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksWin View Post

How come they mention the "2007 Fall Classic"? Typo, I guess! Anybody play Pro Yakkyu Spirits and can compare these 2? I've heard awesome things about PYS, but it's in Japanese.

the demo is a recreation of the 2007 world series matchup. they probably didnt want to make it a 2008 scenario because the idea of the red sox and rockies making it back to the world series are remote at best. this is a simulation, after all...

---Mr. Met---

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page