how do you play wav files on the PS3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please don't tell me to use the search. I have searched hi and low... on this site and on Google. I have not found one post where it actually explains it. I can't get them to play streaming... it only plays a few seconds of each file. I then loaded them up on an external hard drive and connected it. The PS3 didn't even see the files (even though it saw all my MP3s and JPGs on the drive). Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
why not just convert them to mp3
post #3 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

WAV is just a space hog. Convert it to ATRAC3Plus 352kbps or MP3 320kbps. It will sound
the same.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #4 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 12:33 PM
mdv
AVS Special Member

WAV is/was universally supported. Much easier to re-create a CD from WAV than other formats. If you have a good system, MP3 won't sound the same. Something like FLAC is the way to go but then you have to worry about which players support it. I'd continue to pursue the PS3 WAV option. I believe it is supposed to be supported but I haven't tried yet.

Mark
post #5 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post

WAV is/was universally supported. Much easier to re-create a CD from WAV than other formats. If you have a good system, MP3 won't sound the same. Something like FLAC is the way to go but then you have to worry about which players support it. I'd continue to pursue the PS3 WAV option. I believe it is supposed to be supported but I haven't tried yet.

Mark

I can hear the difference. On a good system, it shows. I also sit there trying to pick up on the difference... as a obsessive compulsive tinkerer. Anyway, I can't figure it out for the life of me...
post #6 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heboil View Post

Please don't tell me to use the search. I have searched hi and low... on this site and on Google. I have not found one post where it actually explains it. I can't get them to play streaming... it only plays a few seconds of each file. I then loaded them up on an external hard drive and connected it. The PS3 didn't even see the files (even though it saw all my MP3s and JPGs on the drive). Please help.

Hmm, I'm not sure why it's only playing a few seconds.

I just ripped a few of my favorite albums as WAV's and copied them to the PS3's HDD. They play perfectly and sound terrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. View Post

WAV is just a space hog. Convert it to ATRAC3Plus 352kbps or MP3 320kbps. It will sound
the same.

Wrong.

That's the problem with Ipod generation.

You guys are used to listening to crap.

Maybe your mp3's sound the same on your crap speakers, but they don't on mine.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post

Wrong.

Muahaha.. quote of the month!

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #8 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ditto, MP3's sound like crap.

If you can't tell the difference then you either have crap speakers or need your hearing checked.

The iPod has destroyed music.
post #9 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 06:09 PM

I just got my PS3 a week ago (Lovin' it!) and my wav files on the many CD-R discs I recorded myself on my computer years ago never sounded better. If they play on my PS3, they should play on yours, too.

I have to agree with the wav/mp3 comparisons on this thread. I've recorded in both formats on the same music source to compare the sound quality and I don't hear the same richness on an mp3 as I do on wav files.

This is my 1st post on the avsforum.......so hello to all my fellow audio/video lovers from sunny south Florida
post #10 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just go FLAC and transcode to PCM using TVersity.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-23-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post

Wrong.

Enlighten me. Tell me how good your speakers are. Tell me you can tell the
difference in timbre, pitch, and frequency. Tell me how 320kbps differ from
1441kbps PCM. Please, be more descriptive. I am so curious .

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #12 of 35 Old 02-24-2008, 12:14 AM

I sure do not understand kids these days and their love for compressed audio. Oh well...they can listen to that crap all they want and I will continue to listen to the source as intended.

Anyways...I to am a believer in lossless WAV, FLAC, etc. I use Exact Audio Copy to achieve a theoretical 1:1 bitperfect rip of my CDs (I do NOT download crap).

I was streaming them to my PS3 until I found out the PS3 upconverts all 2 channel 16-bit 44.1kHz WAV sources to 5.1 channel 16-bit 48kHz. It then mutes the unused channels so you are left with 2 channels. Sorry, ...as a (wannabe) purist I will not stand for upconverting sources.

If I want to listen to CD quality audio on my HT with bitperfect sound, then I now have to put the physical CD in the PS3 until Sony fixes XMB audio to play WAV files as encoded. CDs play at 2 channel 16-bit 44.1kHz as they should.
post #13 of 35 Old 02-24-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure, ripping CD in lossless audio or uncompressed PCM makes you all warm and
fuzzy thinking you are listening to 100% of the exact bits of the CD. I know that
MP3 are not as good as the original source but it's good enough that average
consumers can't tell the difference whatever source you are using. I myself have
good speakers, receivers, pre-amps, and amps but I don't piss myself if I don't
achieve 100% copy. To me and a lot of people MP3 320kbps or ATRAC 352kbps
is the same with little to no difference. Plus it saves you hell of a lot more space
than your "pure" FLAC, ALAC, PCM, etc. Average consumers doesn't care about
that, they are happy with what they have using a crappy iBuds at a bitrate of
128kbps AAC. I am personally happy with my 10,000+ MP3/ATRAC music collection
in my PS3's 1TB HDD. If you still think lossless or uncompressed is leaps and bounds
ahead of compressed audio at their highest bitrate, then you need to think what
that means at the end of the day. BTW, PS3 only converts everything to 5.1 if you
are using HDMI with 5.1 or more audio channels

post #14 of 35 Old 02-24-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the the top engineers and experts seem to think lossless is well worth the loss in storage space. Both Blu-ray & HD-DVD could have stuck with lossy old-school DD & DTS, saved a ton of space/bandwidth and 99% of the world would have been happy, but they decided to up the ante with both higher-fidelity (24/192kHz) and higher bitrate (lossless) formats.

Bottom line is if you're archiving you're music collection to keep for the rest of your life, WAV or losslessly packed FLAC/WMA/Apple lossless is the way to go. No information is lost. If you have storage space constraints and aren't nit-picky about audio go crazy with mp3.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #15 of 35 Old 02-24-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. View Post

Enlighten me. Tell me how good your speakers are. Tell me you can tell the
difference in timbre, pitch, and frequency. Tell me how 320kbps differ from
1441kbps PCM. Please, be more descriptive. I am so curious .

You forget this is the AVS forum? The average listener doesn't live here.....lol

Even though this wasn't directed to me, I can hear a distinct difference on my modest system. The bass is (in comparison to wav) muddy, and the higher frequencies lose detail. Then there is the very noticeable compression, which pumps almost as bad as FM radio. Bits are lost to compression, and there's no getting around that. While it's fine for earbuds, 320kbs doesn't cut it in my living room.

So-called "lossless" is much better, but it's still being compressed, and in this case, less is still less.

As I recall, the OP requested help with .wav, not compressed.
post #16 of 35 Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I wasn't looking for a flame war here. I hear a difference. If you can't, then rip in MP3. BTW, on my third different time trying it, it recognized the wav files. I copied them over and they sound great. Unfortunately, I didn't do anything differently this time... it just "worked".
post #17 of 35 Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 AM

were you able to solve the problem? I have the same issue. For my stereo set up in leaving room I use squeezebox connected to arcam avr to access all my cd's ripped in wav on my PC. For HT in basement ps3 is connected to another arcam avr. I have tryied winamp - converts all wav to mp3 - not good
(and yes there is a big difrence betwen mp3 and wav!!!! I have arcam AVR350 and Totem Arro and when i play the same track in mp3 or wav - the diffrence is obvious)

Now I installed Nero Media server - jpg no problem, dvix, avi - no probleb.
There is an issue with wav! - because wav does not have metadata if you put lets say 20 wav files in one directory and on PS3 you say play "ALL" - it will play no problem. But I have over 500 cd's ripped in music, artist, cdTitle, song structure. Can not play ALL. But if I go to artist, or album - no files found. I guess PS3 looks at the metadata not directory structure. Squeezebox is OK. Also my friend has a MAC and using Media link server for mac and plugging my hard disk - his PS# can see all!!! So I guess like squeezebox server, media link server reads directory structure but PS3 not.

Help any body please

Pablo
post #18 of 35 Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessisNevermore View Post

So-called "lossless" is much better, but it's still being compressed, and in this case, less is still less.

No, so called lossless is lossless. Unless the marketeers are lying again.

If you run a WAV file through WinZip and back, you get the same bits out as you put in. Same with RAR, which just uses more complicated math to do the same thing with better compression. Same with FLAC, which uses even more complicated math specifically formulated for compressing audio rather than programs or whatever else.

There is no difference. It is 100% bit for bit identical. It's not like 1.5Mbps DTS sounding very similar to the point of difficulty in distinguishing on all but the highest end systems. It is exactly the same as the original CD. If you hear a difference, you're falling victim to placebo (or a very, very broken computer, or the odd cosmic ray flipping a single bit in memory).

FWIW, MediaTomb can transcode FLAC to WAV on the fly and serve it to the PS3. (at least if Sony ever fixes what they broke in 2.20)
post #19 of 35 Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM

I have a 1 TB usb hard drive that I'm slowly archiving my cd collection onto. I too was wondering which format to go with, and chose wav/pcm because FLAC lossless isn't supported. Going with a high bitrate aac or mp3 had too many drawbacks (for my ears) especially when one considers the amount of time I'll spend on ripping 800+ cd's. I use EAC for the ripping, and good disks take about 25 minutes to rip.

There is a problem with the directory structure/fetching that the ps3 does. At first I was saving files as such: music\\band\\album\\song.wav. The ps3 did not like that. The directories would show, but the wav files wouldn't sometimes. If I browsed the root directory of the usb drive and got into the music folder that way, it would work (albeit clumsy).

I have since gone to the following structure and it is working well: music\\band - album\ rack #, band, song.wav. I added the track # to keep the albums continuity, and the band in there again because of the lack of metadata. I think the extra folder I was using before was messing with the ps3.

As noted in a prior post, it does stink that shuffle only works within the album folder. I was hoping to shuffle the whole works, but not yet.
post #20 of 35 Old 05-07-2008, 04:44 AM

Do you have this hard drive connected to PS3? I have my hard drive connected to the router to be on the network so my squeezebox can play it.
which media server are you using? (or if you hard drive is only connected to PS3 I guess non)
I had also ripped all cd's into wav using EAC (it was about 5 minutes per cd)
my dir structure:

music
ArtistName
Album title
tack name.wav
Artist Name

Like I mentioned before with win amp - ok but just mp3 quality. Nero media player - can not see artist or album
post #21 of 35 Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 AM
M4H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessisNevermore View Post

That's like trying to argue that "4x1" and "1+1+1+1" are not equal, because the latter takes more characters to type.

Personally I'm quite happy with high-bitrate compressed audio, since the finer points of my hearing have been blunted a little from years of drumming.
post #22 of 35 Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKRACK View Post

I just got my PS3 a week ago (Lovin' it!) and my wav files on the many CD-R discs I recorded myself on my computer years ago never sounded better. If they play on my PS3, they should play on yours, too.

This is my 1st post on the avsforum.......so hello to all my fellow audio/video lovers from sunny south Florida

Are you playing CD-Rs in your PS3? Because the original poster was talking about streaming .wav from a HDD, I believe.

Personally, I really wish the PS3 would let you copy a CD as .wav files and play them in actual stereo. I love my PS3, but it does get kind of old how "almost" great it is, or "how powerful it will be next year."

And welcome to the forums...remember, posters hit you because they love you
post #23 of 35 Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 AM

Liked: 11
How does it do with 24/96 wav files?
post #24 of 35 Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAaron View Post

How does it do with 24/96 wav files?

Tried that last night with the new NIN album. I got a "File type not supported" error.

No worky...
post #25 of 35 Old 05-07-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixx1000 View Post

Tried that last night with the new NIN album. I got a "File type not supported" error.

No worky...

"corona radiata" is a great song for a high end stereo system.
post #26 of 35 Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM

I struggle with this as well on my PS3. I have several DTS audio WAV files that simply will not play on my system over HDMI (Onkyo 805 / Rocket 760s) because the PS3 constantly upconverts the 44.1 khz encoded DTS WAV files to 48khz and I just get static. I can't turn off 48khz in the settings, it's just greyed out. Why, Sony, why??

I also wish the PS3 would allow you to rip directly to WAV from the installed CD player - that'd save time, too.
post #27 of 35 Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixx1000 View Post

No worky...

I was really hoping to check out the hi-rez version of The Slip and do some comparing. Is the only way to play these files through a PC? The inherent noise from my on-board sound will mask any difference.

PSN: indyw8
post #28 of 35 Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludivigo View Post

I was really hoping to check out the hi-rez version of The Slip and do some comparing. Is the only way to play these files through a PC? The inherent noise from my on-board sound will mask any difference.

does the ps3 play .m4a's? Lossless apple is better than nothing(FLAC would be even better but It isn't supported). BTW it's amazing that trent offers up every album in all these formats.
post #29 of 35 Old 05-16-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmferraiolo View Post

I struggle with this as well on my PS3. I have several DTS audio WAV files that simply will not play on my system over HDMI (Onkyo 805 / Rocket 760s) because the PS3 constantly upconverts the 44.1 khz encoded DTS WAV files to 48khz and I just get static. I can't turn off 48khz in the settings, it's just greyed out. Why, Sony, why??

I also wish the PS3 would allow you to rip directly to WAV from the installed CD player - that'd save time, too.

You have to go to your audio settings and set them all manualy to their lowest bitrate and then you'll be able to play them. Of course if you want to take advantage of the higher bitrates given you by your reciever on other media you'll have to switch them back after you're done listening to the DTS stuff.

Just go into the settings (manualy of course) and most likely they'll all be on the highest setting. Click on the the highest setting and then the checked box will move down one, click it again and it'll be on the lowest setting, or 48.1khz. I'm sure you can do it on just one, but I did it on all of them (2.0, 5.1, 7.1 all sample rates) and enjoyed my Alan Parsons Project - On Air, DTS 5.1 CD in all it's glory.
post #30 of 35 Old 05-16-2008, 04:03 PM

I dont believe you can uncheck the 48kHz option. Face it, XMB sucks playing ripped files (at least wav files) in their native sound format. You must have the physical disc with the original cda files.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page