S-Video for Dreamcast Problems? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've bought two S-Video hook ups for my Dreamcast and neither of them work correctly. The L/R/V for each works right but when I plug in the S-Video feed the screen turns black and white and the picture is not clear.

Any idea what the problem might be? I've looked for a place where I have to specify S-Video inputs (both on the unit and in the games) but can't find one.

Thanks for any help.

HMAG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Does the picture show up with the regular composites? Because if not, your DC is busted.

If it does, then the cables are busted. The DC isn't a PS3 or a 360, you don't need to specify what cables you are using. It just works.
post #3 of 42 Old 08-11-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Does the picture show up with the regular composites? Because if not, your DC is busted.

If it does, then the cables are busted. The DC isn't a PS3 or a 360, you don't need to specify what cables you are using. It just works.

Yes, the picture shows up correctly with the standard L/R/V connection that came with the DC and the L/R/V connection that came with the S-Video cable. The picture messes up when I plug the S-Video cable itself into the tv.

I was trying to use an S-Video cable with my DC in order to get a better pic on my 50" plasma.

HMAG
post #4 of 42 Old 08-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

The S conector on the TV is bad. Give it a wiggle with the cable in and see if it works.
post #5 of 42 Old 08-11-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
grab a vga conector off ebay if you can. that will be the bes PQ you can expect

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #6 of 42 Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meany View Post

The S conector on the TV is bad. Give it a wiggle with the cable in and see if it works.

I just tried that, on the back of the tv and on the front, neither one works. Thanks.

HMAG
post #7 of 42 Old 08-13-2008, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Seems silly to ask but... Are you unpluging the composite before you plug in the s-video? They can't be both connected at the same time.

Other than that have you tried a different device thru s-video to make sure it's not the jack itself?

I'll agree with another poster that the vga box is the best way to go. Not all games are compatible with it, however.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #8 of 42 Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM

Liked: 11
Why would you even bother using S-video on a plasma instead of the far-superior VGA signal, unless one of your favorite games is one of the few that does not support it?

If you must use S-video, I'd say the cable is busted. What you could do is get a VGA box that also has outputs for audio, composite video, and S-video. That way, not only can you switch between VGA and S-video, but you'd be able to determine if indeed it is your cable (since any old S-video cable would work with this box) or the Dreamcast itself.
post #9 of 42 Old 08-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMArndtGolf View Post

I just tried that, on the back of the tv and on the front, neither one works. Thanks.

HMAG

Have you verified your s-video port works with another source? Another game system/svhs vcr, cable box etc?

The other posters have a point. You will cry when you see how bad your dreamcast looks over s-video on a plasma. I bought my VGA cable from racketboy
http://www.racketboy.com/store/dream...-cable-box.htm
currently in stock and cheap. Works. And you don't have to deal with fleabay.

Worth a try--just test your vga port first to see that it accepts 640x480 and doesn't look terrible! Not all sets' VGA ports are good...
post #10 of 42 Old 08-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

I'm about to pick up that VGA box as well. How do you have audio connections set up? I understand there's a little RCA out on the box, do you have a splitter going to RCAs then running to your AVR/TV? I'm finally upgrading to a HDMI receiver and wondering the best way of integrating the DC.

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
post #11 of 42 Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I honestly have hooked up the DC to my 40" LCD via VGA and eh... its not that great. Honestly I am thinking about hooking it up to my 22" monitor, or even getting a cheap older TV for it (and SNES, and NES, etc.). These systems were just not designed for these TVs.
post #12 of 42 Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 PM

I have my DC hooked up via VGA to my 56" Toshiba HD CRT and I must say it's amazing.

Even though some of the Capcom games have sprites that are low res, it still looks incredible and games like Jet Grind Radio, Alien Front Online and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 just blow me away.

So much better resolution and color than the S-Video cable.

Only bummer is a few games don't support it, but thats the tradeoff.

Definitely worth it if you are a DC fan
post #13 of 42 Old 08-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

How are you running audio?

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
post #14 of 42 Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 PM

Stereo mini out of the VGA box to L/R inputs on my receiver.
post #15 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 09:35 PM

I have the same issue as the op, It did this on my 2 LCD tvs and I tried the cable with 2 different DC's. I know the S videos work because I tested them out with my camcorder. I only get it to work with R/L/V cable.
post #16 of 42 Old 10-27-2008, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Seems silly to ask but... Are you unpluging the composite before you plug in the s-video? They can't be both connected at the same time.

Other than that have you tried a different device thru s-video to make sure it's not the jack itself?

I'll agree with another poster that the vga box is the best way to go. Not all games are compatible with it, however.

Nah it's not silly to ask and more people forget to disconnect the composite video before pluggin in S-video than I care to remember (assuming we're talking about the same input here).

As for the VGA adaptor it's great and all but to me the s-video produces a damn good looking image that is hard to beat with older 2d games.
post #17 of 42 Old 10-28-2008, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

VGA'd Dreamcast looks better than a Wii via Component. Their 480p is far superior despite the lak of widescreen.
post #18 of 42 Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I honestly have hooked up the DC to my 40" LCD via VGA and eh... its not that great. Honestly I am thinking about hooking it up to my 22" monitor, or even getting a cheap older TV for it (and SNES, and NES, etc.). These systems were just not designed for these TVs.

On my (now sold) 1080p LCD, Dreamcast via VGA looks BETTER than a Wii via Component. I know I'm repeating myself, but seriously, my Dreamcast came back to life JUST because of the VGA.
post #19 of 42 Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

I've yet to pick up the VGA adapter, is it worth it if I have upscaling in my AVR (Denon 1909) and TV (Samsung 5087)?

post #20 of 42 Old 10-31-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Regardless of what upscalers you may have, VGA gives the best possible PQ your Dreamcast can have.

Yesterday I played Marvel vs Capcom 2 on my new 67" 1080p set and it looked GREAT.
post #21 of 42 Old 01-10-2009, 03:34 PM

I'm having the same issue with a s video/av I bought off ebay. I get b & w picture on each input i tried.

I tried the DC with S video on my lil bro's tv and it worked/looked great.

MY set: Sony Wega 30" Widescreen hs420
Tried in full and Normal

Bros: Magnavox 20" Flat-screen

Shop I bought from:

vpgames.com (I purchased through ebay/paypal, tho)
gift card: "vpgvd3" for $3.00 off
post #22 of 42 Old 03-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Was this ever solved because I'm having the same problem?
post #23 of 42 Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah my Dreamcast S-video cable that I bought off ebay years ago just stopped working for some reason last year. When it did work however, it looked great on the CRT HDTV in my bedroom. I also have a Dreamcast hooked up to my 22" LCD PC monitor and it also looks great, but s-video does give VGA a run for its money on the Dreamcast from my experience, though VGA is obviously better when supported properly (for most games).
post #24 of 42 Old 03-27-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post

Yeah my Dreamcast S-video cable that I bought off ebay years ago just stopped working for some reason last year. When it did work however, it looked great on the CRT HDTV in my bedroom. I also have a Dreamcast hooked up to my 22" LCD PC monitor and it also looks great, but s-video does give VGA a run for its money on the Dreamcast from my experience, though VGA is obviously better when supported properly (for most games).

What VGA box do you have?
post #25 of 42 Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 AM

this happend to me as well tried 2 s video cables thye dont work tried all my tv's in house nothing worked , i took my cables back to play n trade where i got them the clerk said this happend to 3 other guys saying the same thing (black and white picture with s video)
post #26 of 42 Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a working S-video cable for DC, but actually I can't get my monitor (Dell 2005FPW) to work with my VGA Box.
post #27 of 42 Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 PM

I have tried using an s-video cable as well as using the s-video out on my VGA box/adapter and have the same problems. I have tested 3 Dreamcasts on 2 HDTVs (LCD and CRT) and have the same problem as the original poster. I'm starting to think the Dreamcast puts out some non-standard s-video that modern s-video components don't display correctly? I am going to run over to my parents house and test on their standard def TV to see what happens.

I wish my LCD TV had VGA inputs... (not about to shell at $200 for a VGA -> component adapter)

(my Saturn and Jaguar with S-Video work great on both TVs)

Could be a bad cable, check out this thread from Digit Press http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123024
post #28 of 42 Old 01-17-2011, 09:57 PM

I too am having the same issue with S-Video cable connected to my Dreamcast. I tried two of them with the same black & white problem. I've confirmed that my S-Video connections on my DVD Recorder, my 2 x HDTV's and on my Digital Receiver all work great, so it must be the Dreamcast somehow blocking us from using S-Video or something...

Though I've tried something interesting if anybody wants to try it, I hooked up my Dreamcast via RCA Composite to my Toshiba DR7 DVD Recorder and up-converted my Dreamcast to full 1080p. It looks "A LOT" better than when I had it running at 480i. The picture looks a lot cleaner. Resident Evil: Code V looks fabulous along with Crazy Taxi 1 & 2.

I did order the VGA box because I am willing to go down to 480p if it provided me with better image quality seeing how the Dreamcast's Picture was originaly designed for 480p...

Did anybody find a FIX in regards to Dreamcast cennected via S-Video and producing B&W images?.

Thanks,
post #29 of 42 Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 AM

Liked: 93
A grayscale image on s-video means you are getting luma (light) but not chroma (color) through the connection, which are two distinct wires in the s-video standard. This would imply that one of the connectors is not making contact somewhere. On one of my Dreamcasts that used to live in my bedroom, the s-video cable was a little wonky. It would go gray, until you gave it a little downward pressure, at which point color would snap right back in. I ended up just replacing the cable, but I would suspect that the video port on the DC is just a little poorly designed for s-video out, plus the cable probably has an ever so slightly bent pin.

http://pinouts.ru/Game/dreamcast_pinout.shtml

Pin 11 looks to be your culprit. Look at the cable and see if it's possible to just bed the pin a little further up, helping it make contact.

Also, if you have VGA on the display, then holy hell just get the VGA box. VGA out of a Dreamcast is fantastic. It looks better than a PS2 or Xbox, and rivals a component Gamecube in video quality.
post #30 of 42 Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 AM

Would VGA at 480i look better than composite via my DVD Recorder up-scaled to 1080p? I mean without up-scaling the picture looks kind of crapy but once up-scaled, it does make a big difference.

I have a VGA box on the way because I am fed up with the S-Video connection. I am getting my money back for the S-Video.

Though I will try wiggling the cable where it meets the Dreamcast.
Thanks,
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page