Sega Dreamcast enthusiasts unite! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 11-27-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking of posting some pics of the Dreamcast w/VGA screens. It'll be on my 67 incher.

Just wanna get the ball rolling there, if anyone wants to jump in and do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

post #33 of 55 Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My friend has that Sega Sports Dreamcast. I'm stuck with an extremely off white hand me down version.

DMC3 is ace.
post #34 of 55 Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

But Baten Kaitos is NOT.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #35 of 55 Old 12-10-2008, 05:24 PM

sega football games were the best in the business imo. i had nfl2k i think. i was extremely impressed compared with any other during that time.

still have my DC and some 30 games. but havnt gotten it out of storage in years.
i think only the Nintend Wii is the only console thats great enough to compare to the DC. too bad its been nearly a decade for that to happen.
post #36 of 55 Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 AM
tno

I have always loved my DC, still use it on my 22" monitor, haven't hooked it up the the HDTV yet though, that would be great.

My favorite game, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, was Shenmue. The graphics were out of this world for the time and look great even now. Haters will remind us that the game was too slow paced and that operating a forklift and getting a job are not game mechanics most would consider *fun* but I had a blast playing it.

As far as FPS's go, I actually really enjoyed playing the Half-Life Blue Shift on the DC and went back and played the full game just to see what the experience was like. You have to play with AutoAim on just because the controls aren't smooth enough otherwise but the game looked great and played great. The game actually came with higher rez textures than was initially released for the PC so it was one of the first PC to console ports to look better on the console. Eventually they did release the higher rez textures to PC folk, and of course the game never was released officially, but a complete disk is available off torrents and it plays great.

One thing I remember from following the DC's demise (one of the saddest periods of my early adult life) was the comment made by some SoJ rep that some day the full impact of the DC's innovation would be realized and everyone would be walking around with what would in effect be a Dreamcast-on-a-chip; it would be in our cellphones and in our TVs, it would be everywhere and we would all play it. Everyone with an iPhone, pull it out and take a look at those graphics, take a look at that smooth GUI and great frame rate. Yeah, the RISC processor and PowerVR CPU/GPU combo in that phone is awfully similar to the ones found in that Dreamcast sitting over there. DC on a chip indeed!
post #37 of 55 Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I love the fact that many, MANY games on the DC played at 60 fps. Finding a handful 60fps games on current gen systems that aren't small DLC is quite hard indeed.

Dreamcast lives on forever in my book. Sega had a good system in their hands, just no support.
post #38 of 55 Old 12-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

My Dreamcast is currently hooked up to my 65" Toshiba through it's S-Video.( no VGA support) Picture is great. I play Sega bass and Marine fishing, Lamans 24 hours, Dead or alive 2 and Marvel VS capcom 2 regularly. Datona USA and NFL and NHL get put on also. I do not need the new systems to enjoy my gaming fix.
post #39 of 55 Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

Considering the DC is a dead system, I've recently found out how to burn games on it.

This is a big reason why the Dreamcast failed. It was widely known how to copy games within a few months of the system coming out.

Also, I remember getting the ethernet adapter as a Japanese import when I had the system. Took a while to config with the Japanese language only config disc. It did make games cool online though if you could find others to play.
post #40 of 55 Old 12-16-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblHelix View Post

This is a big reason why the Dreamcast failed. It was widely known how to copy games within a few months of the system coming out.

Also, I remember getting the ethernet adapter as a Japanese import when I had the system. Took a while to config with the Japanese language only config disc. It did make games cool online though if you could find others to play.

I owned a Dreamcast since it's launch. I didn't start looking into how to burn games for it since this year. I knew people were burning games for it. As an old Sega fan, I would never take advantage of them. Not then anyways. Sega is a shadow of what it used to be. most of their games suck arse nowadays.

It's been dead for ages. Might as well get some use for it, don't you think?
post #41 of 55 Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 PM

ShinCZ: i agree. cant really hurt sega anymore at this point. once production stops and inventory sold, devs wont make profit from it anymore, less they re-release a title later for another platform perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tno View Post

I have always loved my DC, still use it on my 22" monitor, haven't hooked it up the the HDTV yet though, that would be great.

My favorite game, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, was Shenmue. The graphics were out of this world for the time and look great even now. Haters will remind us that the game was too slow paced and that operating a forklift and getting a job are not game mechanics most would consider *fun* but I had a blast playing it.

i too liked Shenmue. mostly for its great environment detail. i had fun exploring. it was the first time a city ingame felt living.
i now get the similar feeling from GTA 4. too bad they arnt making any new Shenmue titles. i have part 2 on Xbox. it was ok but i hated the controls and just wasnt even fun to explore at that point in time compared with other games on xbox. Part 3 was vaporware apparantly.
post #42 of 55 Old 12-16-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Ah yeah... I have a Japanese launch system. And a US launch one... and then a Best Buy closeout just in case.

But honestly I haven't played in a while. But I loved it. Same with Saturn, some incredible imports that never saw these shores.

I hate to think about what I paid for the Japanese one when it first came out, but I was playing VF3 for sure!
post #43 of 55 Old 05-16-2009, 03:24 PM

I played endless Tony Hawk on the DC; that was my favorite game. Also, Sonic Adventure is the only Sonic that has been done right to date in 3D. But, I can't believe no one has mentioned Rayman 3! That is one of the best 3d platformers of all time, and the DC version is far superior to the PS2 version.
post #44 of 55 Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 AM

I have 2 dreamcast and I mainly play Street Fighter.
post #45 of 55 Old 06-05-2009, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I absolutely love my DC and I occasionally play Virtua Tennis Y2k which for me is the best tennis game ever created.
post #46 of 55 Old 06-07-2009, 01:41 PM

I have about 150 games for the DC -- just re-connected mine and hope to re-live some fun memories!
post #47 of 55 Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by speculative View Post

But, I can't believe no one has mentioned Rayman 3! That is one of the best 3d platformers of all time, and the DC version is far superior to the PS2 version.

I don't believe that Rayman 3 was ever on the Dreamcast. Now Rayman 2 was, and I love it too.

Now-a-days I only play my Dreamcast hooked up to an old 21" crt monitor that it shares with a Windows 98SE gaming machine. It looks great!
post #48 of 55 Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Just broke out my Dreamcast yesterday and hooked it up to my RPCRT via S-Video. I so wish my set had VGA input, but through S-Video, it looks far better than I've ever seen the games look. I'd never seen them on a 65" screen before either, it's awesome!

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #49 of 55 Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 AM

I just wanted to say that if you've a Dreamcast, and you've got an open VGA or HDMI port on your TV, you owe it to yourself to get a VGA box and the Monoprice VGA to HDMI adapter. Read my review of the adapter here on AVS.

I was a huge DC fanatic. My favorite games were Sega Marine Fishing, Soul Calibur, Power Stone 2, Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star Online...I had the broadband adapter and I remember playing Phantasy Star Online with 3 people in one apartment in college (2 phone lines and the BBA). I sold the adapter for $130 when I was broke (shortly after college) and eventually sold the Dreamcast, but I got nostalgic a few months ago when the 10 anniversary happened, so I got a new one.

The only thing I don't miss is playing with wired controllers. Other than that, the DC was/is supreme!

Twitter: Gizzmonic
PSN: Gizzmonic
post #50 of 55 Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 AM

i loved the dreamcast it beat the PS2 imo and i had bleem so i was able to play PS1 games on it! just thought i would chime in that the dreamcast awesome
post #51 of 55 Old 12-13-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm still waiting on Power Stone 2 to arrive on the 360 as an arcade game. vs mode online? OH GOD PLEASE.
post #52 of 55 Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmaburn09 View Post

i loved the dreamcast it beat the PS2 imo and i had bleem so i was able to play PS1 games on it! just thought i would chime in that the dreamcast awesome

Oh yeah! Bleem! I forgot about that, I played all the way through Metal Gear Solid when I was recovering from surgery using Bleem.

Oh, and Chu Chu Rocket was a great party game-that would be perfect as DLC for one of the newer platforms.

Twitter: Gizzmonic
PSN: Gizzmonic
post #53 of 55 Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Yea Chu Chu Rocket really should've been out a long time ago on Live and PSN. It even had online play! It was a bit laggy but you could play with people in Japan and it was a lot of fun.
post #54 of 55 Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I still think test drive le mans and tokyo extreme high way racer 2 are unsurpassde in there niche genre
post #55 of 55 Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Totally agree with Tokyo Extreme Racer 2. Even with it's ever changing framerate it was a fantastic game. Good enough to get two of my friends to buy a DC.

I've still got two Dreamcasts at home, along with a BBA and a fair whack of accessories and games. I spent a whole lot of time on the DC during my college years. Standout games for me were:
Samba De Amigo
Quake 3 Arena (I even ran an unofficial server in NZ so local players could get better pings).
Soul Caliber
Virtua On
+ a whole heap I've forgotten. There was a great hack and slash game I remember. Still haven't finished Shenmue, but I remember being stunned by the realtime lighting effects (I was studying 3d animation at the time).

So many fond memories. It wasn't until COD4 on the PS3 hit that I finally retired my DC.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page